ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1241 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:34 pm

DCZards wrote:My man! I told y'all we shouldn't panic and trade Beal. He's a special dude both on and off the court....

I don't think that was ever the intention, Zards. I think the intention was first to trade Beal, and then to panic. :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1242 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:48 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:Social media is salty asf right now.... :D

What's it sounding like?

Is it the usual "overrated player" comments from non-Wizards' fans?

Mia Heat fans are sick to their stomach.. :lol: :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1243 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 pm

payitforward wrote:
Mojo Amok wrote:Dame, Y'all...my geese got a bit pimpled on this one. :clap:

Read on Twitter

Chris Miller mic drop...

Somebody tell him to get dressed before he video tweets!

I know. Just because he's at home in his mother's basement doesn't mean he shouldn't look professional.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1244 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:01 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does that trade kicker mean anything - considering he's making the max? Isn't it rendered ineffective because it would push him over the max, and by definition you can't go over the max?

I don't think he is making the max, the 30% max that is. His current contract is based on a 25% max and I think he is simply having that extended with maximum raises (8%, I think). But that's a little less that what he would make if he waited until 2021 and then signed a new 1+1 contract (rather than an extension of his existing one). A new 1+1 contract signed in 2021 could be a 30% max deal.

I think you are right that that trade kicker in his 2021-22 season would be limited by the 30% cap. However the kicker for his 2022-23 (when he is a 10-year vet) could presumably bring his contract up to 35% of the cap.

Sheesh, this stuff is hard. So even though he's signing it now, because the new contract doesn't take effect until 2021, the max to be used for whether or not the trade kicker should be tacked on would be the max when the new contract kicks in - if I'm understanding that right. But it'll probably end up costing less than the 15% - if he does get traded.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#1245 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Does that trade kicker mean anything - considering he's making the max? Isn't it rendered ineffective because it would push him over the max, and by definition you can't go over the max?

I don't think he is making the max, the 30% max that is. His current contract is based on a 25% max and I think he is simply having that extended with maximum raises (8%, I think). But that's a little less that what he would make if he waited until 2021 and then signed a new 1+1 contract (rather than an extension of his existing one). A new 1+1 contract signed in 2021 could be a 30% max deal.

I think you are right that that trade kicker in his 2021-22 season would be limited by the 30% cap. However the kicker for his 2022-23 (when he is a 10-year vet) could presumably bring his contract up to 35% of the cap.

Sheesh, this stuff is hard. So even though he's signing it now, because the new contract doesn't take effect until 2021, the max to be used for whether or not the trade kicker should be tacked on would be the max when the new contract kicks in - if I'm understanding that right. But it'll probably end up costing less than the 15% - if he does get traded.

Yes. I think that's right. The trade kicker is a non-zero raise, but probably not the full 15%, at least not for the 2021-22 season. It might balloon his 2022-23 season salary a full 15%.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#1246 » by tontoz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:03 pm

:clap:

No more "trade Beal" talk.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1247 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:11 am

tontoz wrote::clap:

No more "trade Beal" talk.

Trade to bring in players around him maybe?

15% or not, would still love to see him in a Wolves jersey. Take any player(s) and picks you want. Your team was wise to get him to sign something at least. Great skills, better competitive spirit.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#1248 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:55 am

Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#1249 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:29 am

Jalen shouted out Tommy Sheppard - apparently they were in Denver at the same time

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#1250 » by closg00 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:13 am

Here is big mouths take
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1251 » by Wizardspride » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
3on3champ
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1252 » by 3on3champ » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Bradley Beal signing a two-year deal with the Wizards sounds like an amazing deal for the wizards. At least that's what these analysts for the Washington Post are saying.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#1253 » by CeltsfaninDC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Congrats Wiz fans! I love that he’s staying and I hope Wall comes back strong and ready to play.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#1254 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 4, 2019 7:14 pm

Wizards owner Ted Leonsis expanded on his personal relationship with Beal and how the organization was able to convince him to sign an extension (via Matt Wyrich of NBC Sports Washington):

“Brad and John are way closer than the media portrays,” Leonsis said. “They are also deeply immersed in the culture of the NBA and history of the NBA. Having a great backcourt is priority one and why would you want to, if you’re a great player, be a sidekick, if you will. And is that leading to happiness? I mean that’s the amazing thing that you see. You’ve never seen as many unhappy people as you’re seeing in the NBA.”

Leonsis believes Beal has bought into the new identity Washington is trying to develop. He pointed to other stars around the league and pondered why they’d sign with teams that aren’t prioritizing them as their No. 1 players.

“If you get a young player and they’re a part of building your culture and the team, the culture really becomes theirs,” Leonsis said. “That’s the key thing and so if you’re gifted, and you’re gonna get paid in the NBA, why go play and be the third wheel? It’s counter-intuitive to me. Like, it’s LeBron’s team in LA. How’d it go last year? Did anyone look happy in LA? So Brad and John and the players here, they’re a part of something and it’s gonna be really, really hard. But [they’re] in it together.”
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#1255 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:13 am

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1256 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:54 am

Speaking of Beal, after his performance last night, he season averages are back on track, with only a minor inconsistency with his 3-point shooting:

He is scoring more, getting to the line more, and passing a little better. If his 3-point shooting was back at his career average of 38%, his TS% would be .571, which is real good given his usage rate and the defensive attention he draws.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1257 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Listening to it now. He made it a point to say "Tommy is not Ernie".

He said he likes being kept in the loop about management decisions.

Edit: talking about Pierce now. Talking about how professional he was here but when he was an opponent Beal thought he was an ass lol.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1258 » by tontoz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:07 pm

I just ran some numbers on Beal to see if my perception matched up with reality. Sure enough, it does.

In years 3/4 36% of Beals shots were between 10-22 feet. He shot 35.6% on those attempts.

Last season only 24% of Beals attempts were in that range, shooting 43.6%.

http://bkref.com/tiny/8HcYd

What makes that difference even more impressive is that his total attempts went up considerably. The more shots you take, the harder it is to get good shots.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1259 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:20 pm

I just took a deep dive into Brad's numbers so far this year. So... how is he doing?

1. Leave scoring aside for a moment. Overall, in the rest of the boxscore stuff, Brad's numbers are better this year than last in every way except one: he's committing 1.1 more turnovers per 40 minutes.

Clearly, the increase in TOs is a direct result of having the ball in his hands more often -- evidenced by the fact that shot attempts, FGAs & FTAs are all significantly up from last year. So, let's put that with the scoring, & we can conclude that in all the other stuff, Brad is a better player than ever this year.

2. Back to scoring: if you look at his scoring independent of the increased turnovers, the difference in his efficiency from last year is trivial -- in fact, since his usage is even higher than last year (3.85 more FGAs & 2.6 more FTAs per 40 minutes), I wouldn't even call it a decline at all.

But, of course you can't look at his scoring independent of the turnovers -- they're intimately connected; the increase in turnovers is caused by the increase in usage. Duh.

Yet... all this actually amounts to good news not bad!

Why? For one thing, Brad's TS% on 2 pt. FGAs & FTAs is way better than it's ever been: it's a gaudy .619. & that's on more 2 pt. attempts than ever & more FTAs than ever as well. Only the 3pt% has dropped.

For that reason, given the non-scoring improvements mentioned above, Brad's overall effectiveness as a player so far this season is virtually the same as last year.

3. What does this mean? It's simple:

once his 3-pt. % starts moving back towards the norm, I believe we will see that Bradley Beal has taken yet another jump as a player.

Good stuff!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1260 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Beal is now averaging 30 points per game (29.7 actually). But the most noteworthy stat IMO is that he is averaging 7.6 FTA's per game. If he sustains that while also launching 8+ 3PA's per game, there's no way his efficiency will be bad.

Keep an eye on his minutes though. Beal is now at 36.2 MPG, which ranks 6th in the league. Brooks did a nice job keeping his MPG down over the first 6 games or so, but then McRae got hurt and Brooks grew uncomfortable taking Beal off the floor. Now that McRae is back, Brooks needs to bring down those minutes again. Beal played 37 minutes last night and 39 the game before, even though McRae was in uniform.

Return to Washington Wizards