ImageImageImage

Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start"

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:08 am

It's a New Year, Babé.

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Re: Celtics General Regular Season Thread 2019-20, Pt1: aka, Team "Fresh Start" 

Post#2 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:42 am

I love the Tommy and Mike clip. I don't so much like the idea of Kanter starting.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#3 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:45 am

Actually, Celticsblog has some observant articles on the rotation, calling out the likelihood that:
-- Hayward will be the first starter to sit, so that he can help ball-handle for the reserves.
-- Jayson and Jaylen will get almost all their minutes together.
-- Kanter will not start.
-- Theis will.

All this is based on the theory that rotations in preseason are indicative of what the coach wants to try in the regular season ... and, hey, whatever he did in preseason seemed to work pretty well.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,208

Post#4 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:48 am

Are we gonna get truth18 back this season? Or ever? I miss that dude. If he's gone, who's gonna do the PGs?

Not a fan of Kanter starting either. Won't rehash the reasons why. My guess Theis (based on preseason) gets first crack. Brad can always sub him out early if it's an absolute disaster. But Enes is a better fit coming off the bench.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#5 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:53 am

Banner18!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#6 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:54 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Are we gonna get truth18 back this season? Or ever? I miss that dude. If he's gone, who's gonna do the PGs?

Not a fan of Kanter starting either. Won't rehash the reasons why. My guess Theis (based on preseason) gets first crack. Brad can always sub him out early if it's an absolute disaster. But Enes is a better fit coming off the bench.

We need someone to do the Post-Game Threads.
You're Always around.

Can You Do It? -- Can you be the Primary person?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#7 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:56 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:Actually, Celticsblog has some observant articles on the rotation, calling out the likelihood that:
-- Hayward will be the first starter to sit, so that he can help ball-handle for the reserves.
-- Jayson and Jaylen will get almost all their minutes together.
-- Kanter will not start.
-- Theis will.

All this is based on the theory that rotations in preseason are indicative of what the coach wants to try in the regular season ... and, hey, whatever he did in preseason seemed to work pretty well.

This is certainly how I felt after the four preseason games. With Theis, Brown, Tatum and Hayward switching and flying over the court on defense, it looked pretty formidable at times so I would like to see Theis as the starter.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#8 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:57 am

I'll take it even further and project:

Starters
Walker/Hayward/Brown/Tatum/Theis

Second unit
Smart/Edwards/Hayward/(Grant, Semi or Bob)/Kanter

Other common substitutions
Smart for Hayward early
Smart for anybody in crunch time
Poirier or either Williams for Theis at any time

I think two-bigs lineups will happen situationally, but only rarely at the opening tip.

All this, of course, is barring injury.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,390

Post#9 » by Triple7 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:19 am

Theis as a starter. :lol: small ball here we come!
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,056

Post#10 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:35 am

Triple7 wrote:Theis as a starter. :lol: small ball here we come!

We are going to start off small, but as games go on and subs start coming in, you're going to have a lot of big line ups with two of Grant, Rob and Enes together..we are probably above average at the 2 and 3 with Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Semi..Smart is a big PG. Plenty of alternatives to play with. Curious to see how we defend Embiid in game 1. I think we are going to throw a lot of quick doubles at him and make him beat us passing the ball. I'm pretty excited to see what we can come up with. I loved the speed we saw from us defensively in the preseason. Aggressive in the passing lanes, quick hands, long arms. Should be fun. My main concern is if we will be able to finish possessions with a rebound.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,208

Post#11 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:37 am

Parliament10 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Are we gonna get truth18 back this season? Or ever? I miss that dude. If he's gone, who's gonna do the PGs?

We need someone to do the Post-Game Threads.
You're Always around.

Can You Do It? -- Can you be the Primary person?

Sorry, nope. Odd hours for me being from the other side of the world. And I'll be on the move more often this year. Might miss quite a few games. Better get someone more reliable from same time zone.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#12 » by Triple7 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:42 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

We are going to start off small, but as games go on and subs start coming in, you're going to have a lot of big line ups with two of Grant, Rob and Enes together..we are probably above average at the 2 and 3 with Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Semi..Smart is a big PG. Plenty of alternatives to play with. Curious to see how we defend Embiid in game 1. I think we are going to throw a lot of quick doubles at him and make him beat us passing the ball. I'm pretty excited to see what we can come up with. I loved the speed we saw from us defensively in the preseason. Aggressive in the passing lanes, quick hands, long arms. Should be fun. My main concern is if we will be able to finish possessions with a rebound.

I’d start Rwill against embiid. Theis is just too small. He can’t even block guards attacking the rim, and is a poor rebounder. Sixers would have a field day inside. and we would scramble to double embiid and horford down low.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#13 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:10 am

Triple7 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

I’d start Rwill against embiid. Theis is just too small. He can’t even block guards attacking the rim, and is a poor rebounder. Sixers would have a field day inside. and we would scramble to double embiid and horford down low.

If you want a guy to stop Embiid's back-to-the-basket game and his putbacks, would Rob Williams be any better than Theis?
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#14 » by Homerclease » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:22 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

If you want a guy to stop Embiid's back-to-the-basket game and his putbacks, would Rob Williams be any better than Theis?

Yes, based off his ability to hang one on one with Anthony Davis last year and Theis utter inability to even slow Embiid down at all
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#15 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:38 am

Homerclease wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Yes, based off his ability to hang one on one with Anthony Davis last year and Theis utter inability to even slow Embiid down at all

Regardless, I feel RWIII has 0 chance to play as he had a setback and is just starting concussion protocal. No way he plays Wedn.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#16 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:00 am

How does Kanter do on defense against Embiid?
Triple7
RealGM

Post#17 » by Triple7 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:26 am

Triple7 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Of course. Theis can’t even stop bledsoe and george hill layups inside. It would be funny to see him try to stop horford and embiid. at 6’8 he’s even smaller than tobias and simmons.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,443

Post#18 » by SichtingLives » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:45 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:How does Kanter do on defense against Embiid?

like confetti to a river
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#19 » by GoGreen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:36 am

Jeez. Embiid is going to feast inside if all he has is Theis to go through. I am not looking forward to what him and Horf are going to do in the paint.

Really wish Kanter looked better. Idk what happened to him. I expected much better than what I've seen
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#20 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:40 am

Jurry wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:How does Kanter do on defense against Embiid?

like confetti to a river

A pity, since he understands a little about post scoring himself.

Return to Boston Celtics