The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#1121 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Wilfried wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Are we sensing something different about Ben? Feels like we're on the cusp of a legit breakout.

We know how dominant he can be against lesser teams

I thought we played against 2 pretty weak teams up til now.

And he only attempted 1 3 in those games

Ben is a stud, but please, don't get carried away

He did also land a nice midrange jumper from about 15 feet in the last game and tried one or two more and imo that's more important than the three tbh. Getting back to hitting midrange jumpers at a respectable clip like he did In his rookie season is what I'm hoping to see.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,932

Post#1122 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:20 pm

He is the real deal, this time there is no doubt he is going to make a huge leap.
Horrible takes since 2016
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#1123 » by Sixerscan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
Jams60 wrote:I’d like to think so. Last year Ben dominated so many first quarters then seemed to go back into his shell. It was almost like he said ‘ I’m getting mine now and then I’ll help the rest get theirs.’ What may have changed this year though is that he may feel that JRich and Horford are quite happy to be two way players who don’t need the ball as much as Butler and Reddick did.
He is certainly more confident, more vocal and just seems so much sure of himself and his role as a team leader. Hopefully that turns into a more consistently aggressive and risk taking (shooting) Ben. That will be the jump he needs to breakthrough to the next level.

It's going to be a wait and see. He looked like this at times last year... but I do think not having JJ Redick and Butler there will help him. We ran way too many dribble hand off plays for JJ to get open. Ben was almost relegated to the 5th option on offense last year... this year he is going to need to look to score more and wouldn't be surprised for me to see him becoming the 2nd option now.

It will be interesting to see though what happens when Embiid is back. So far Joel has played a grand total of 13 minutes in the entire pre-season so when he does start playing it is going to significantly change the way we play and the speed of play and the amount of space Ben has to drive.

In terms of scoring points I think it's safe to say he was the 5th option after the Harris trade. It's a little different from most 5th options though since there was such a huge drop off between the top 5 options and the rest of the team.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#1124 » by Kobblehead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Wilfried wrote:We know how dominant he can be against lesser teams

This is going to sound dumb, but it looks and feels different this year.

Even in the past when we saw him beat up on bad teams, it still felt like he was coasting. Now it feels like he's exerting a will.

This feels like Ben is on the cusp of having his "Neo moment."
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#1125 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Whenever I watch Ben play, I watch how close the defender is. Whether they stay close or sag off. So far, they’re staying close.

I also notice there were a lot of instances when opponent’s PG is on Ben, even when we play against the long lion. Hope we can play a 4 out with Ben in the paint in those instances.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#1126 » by Wilfried » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Wilfried wrote:We know how dominant he can be against lesser teams

This is going to sound dumb, but it looks and feels different this year.

Even in the past when we saw him beat up on bad teams, it still felt like he was coasting. Now it feels like he's exerting a will.

This feels like Ben is on the cusp of having his "Neo moment."

We'll, let's hope he took the red pill than this summer
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#1127 » by Simmons25 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:37 am

76ciology wrote:Whenever I watch Ben play, I watch how close the defender is. Whether they stay close or sag off. So far, they’re staying close.

I also notice there were a lot of instances when opponent’s PG is on Ben, even when we play against the long lion. Hope we can play a 4 out with Ben in the paint in those instances.

I've noticed that as well. Nobody has been leaving him open yet this year... which is a little disappointing. I want him being put into situations where he has to shoot wide open jumpers in the regular season and at the moment that is not happening.

I'm hoping when we get to some of the better teams that actually plan to stop players that they do start leaving him open. There is no use him cruising though the regular season and then get to the playoffs and suddenly game 2 they are leaving him wide open and he hasn't been getting that shot all year.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1128 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:00 am

I dont know what’s with the Kardashian sisters, but they were really toxic. LO turned into an addict, Tristan suddenly fell off then Ben.. jay williams said Ben’s trainer said Ben was determined in the offseason unlike before and the “LA lifestyle” was a distraction.

Can’t wait to see more of Ben this upcoming season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1129 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:32 pm

So is the back thing real or have we just basically been resting Ben?
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#1130 » by Rastas » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 pm

I would guess it's real.
Ben is a machine , he needs no rest.

Sent from my A5 using RealGM mobile app
Kova
Veteran
And1: 709

Post#1131 » by Kova » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:08 pm

I quite enjoyed this! Ben is much more fun in his off-time than I actually thought!
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1132 » by kio80 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Kova wrote:

I quite enjoyed this! Ben is much more fun in his off-time than I actually thought!

Too much fun, too little balls going through the hoop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Post#1133 » by Eyeamok » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:46 pm

kio80 wrote:
Kova wrote:

Too much fun, too little balls going through the hoop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing better when your work is fun. And if he improves then absolutely fantastic.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1134 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Read on Twitter
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#1135 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Good luck this season, I want you to trash MIL, but I dont think you can with Ben shooting like this. SSS applies no doubt, but he needs to show more.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1136 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:11 pm

Between Ben and Biid, I want Ben to attack the mismatch via drives or post. Im more confident with Ben kicking it out and handling double teams. Not to mention how much better it is on spacing.

But you then waste Biid’s scoring ability.

The way I see it, when both guys are on the floor, Ben should be alpha. Because the alternative is him playing lackadaisical on offense.

Biid can do his Historical points per 36 numbers when Ben is off the court.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1137 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:13 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Image

Good luck this season, I want you to trash MIL, but I dont think you can with Ben shooting like this. SSS applies no doubt, but he needs to show more.

True. Good luck to everyone we play against with also. Looks like we can generate all kinds of mismatch every game.

Against the Hawks, we got 5 guys having advantages on their mismatch that all 5 of them kept posting up. We just need to gel on offense .

Defensively, we wont get this many whistles against us during the playoffs. While we can play bully ball and have 4 floor spacers all time.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1138 » by Kobblehead » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:15 pm

The pickandroll is the ultimate unifyer. Even for guys who don't typically fit together.

If one guy can handle the ball, and the other can roll to the basket catch and finish, they can make some nice things happen.

It's a travesty that we're not working on developing a 2-man game between our biggest pieces.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1139 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Kobblehead wrote:The pickandroll is the ultimate unifyer. Even for guys who don't typically fit together.

If one guy can handle the ball, and the other can roll to the basket catch and finish, they can make some nice things happen.

It's a travesty that we're not working on developing a 2-man game between our biggest pieces.

Your best bet is Tobi-Biid PnR.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1140 » by Kobblehead » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm

I'm just talking in the context of getting Ben/Joel actually being able to function together.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers