Thunder Offseason Thread Part Deux: Rebuild

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Re: Thunder Offseason Thread Part Deux: Rebuild 

Post#921 » by Galloisdaman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:27 pm

jambalaya wrote:Thunder were 2nd lowest among NBA teams in preseason on assists per game and no real change tonight.

Many of their players dribble before shooting.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#922 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:57 am

Just saw this from the annual GM survey:

Which rookie was the biggest steal at where he was selected in the Draft?

1. Nickeil Alexander-Walker (17), New Orleans -- 32%

2. Brandon Clarke (21), Memphis -- 21%

3. Goga Bitadze (18), Indiana -- 11%

4. Bol Bol (44), Denver -- 7%

Tyler Herro (13), Miami -- 7%

Also receiving votes: Darius Bazley (23), Oklahoma City; Nicolas Claxton (31), Brooklyn; Daniel Gafford (38), Chicago; Darius Garland (5), Cleveland; Nasir Little (25), Portland; Cameron Reddish (10), Atlanta

Last year: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander -- 27%

Granted, it’s only 2 GMs at most that voted for Bazley but assuming one of them isn’t Sam, it shows that others recognize this kid has some nba level skills.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#923 » by Sinobas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:32 pm

If I were a Thunder fan, I"d be so pissed at Presti for giving away Sabonis and Oladipo with nothing to show for it. Those are 2 pieces of a good team. Presti has actually been great at acquiring talent but equally terrible and squandering it away for nothing.

It seems your plan was to build around Westbrook as a triple-double machine, but why would he think that team could go anywhere when you couldn't even get over the top with Durant? Everyone knew it was ball hog Westbrook that brought the team down in clutch moments.

Should have kept Harden and traded Westbrook a long time ago, you could have got a nice haul for him, and you'd probably have multiple championships by now.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,077

Post#924 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:23 pm

2 years of PG13 / SGA / 5 FRP > Oladipo and Sabonis IMO.

Oladipo wasn't good in OKC and I didn't like the fit with Westbrook.
Sabonis was great but we had to bench him in the playoffs (he was a rookie). I liked him but that was the price to pay to get PG13.

We turned Ibaka and a first into SGA and 5 first round pick. We will see how it ends but I'm fine with it.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#925 » by slick_watts » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 pm

bazley should be ahead of nader and burton in the rotation. it's bizarre they didn't waive at least one of those guys. dennis schroder is a high level tank commander, but i think we could get a better, cheaper, and more entertaining one if we tried to trade him for dion waiters.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#926 » by slick_watts » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Sinobas wrote:If I were a Thunder fan, I"d be so pissed at Presti for giving away Sabonis and Oladipo with nothing to show for it. Those are 2 pieces of a good team. Presti has actually been great at acquiring talent but equally terrible and squandering it away for nothing.

It seems your plan was to build around Westbrook as a triple-double machine, but why would he think that team could go anywhere when you couldn't even get over the top with Durant? Everyone knew it was ball hog Westbrook that brought the team down in clutch moments.

Should have kept Harden and traded Westbrook a long time ago, you could have got a nice haul for him, and you'd probably have multiple championships by now.

i was an advocate for tanking as soon as kevin durant left. the sabonis / oladipo for paul george trade made the team good enough to think about not tanking, and since sam presti already chose that path it was a fantastic trade. but then andre roberson's knee exploded, and at that point it was over. you can't lose all that talent for nothing (kevin durant, andre roberson) and expect to be fine. especially when other acquisitions didn't work out. everything the thunder did after andre roberson got hurt was sorta pointless.

you're trolling is kinda weak, btw. especially when portland is now on the treadmill the thunder thankfully escaped this summer.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,077

Post#927 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:20 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Sinobas wrote:If I were a Thunder fan, I"d be so pissed at Presti for giving away Sabonis and Oladipo with nothing to show for it. Those are 2 pieces of a good team. Presti has actually been great at acquiring talent but equally terrible and squandering it away for nothing.

i was an advocate for tanking as soon as kevin durant left. the sabonis / oladipo for paul george trade made the team good enough to think about not tanking, and since sam presti already chose that path it was a fantastic trade. but then andre roberson's knee exploded, and at that point it was over. you can't lose all that talent for nothing (kevin durant, andre roberson) and expect to be fine. especially when other acquisitions didn't work out. everything the thunder did after andre roberson got hurt was sorta pointless.

you're trolling is kinda weak, btw. especially when portland is now on the treadmill the thunder thankfully escaped this summer.

Pretty much. People forget how good our team was with an healthy Roberson (even with Melo in the line up). Think we would have reached at least one WCF.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#928 » by Sinobas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:22 pm

slick_watts wrote:

Ha, why would I be "trolling" on the board of a basement team? You guys are no longer rivals. It would be like bullying an 8 year old kid. I was just reminded of how you guys lost Sabonis since he's on the trade block now. Pacers should keep him, because I think he's a future all-star.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#929 » by slick_watts » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Sinobas wrote:Ha, why would I be "trolling" on the board of a basement team? You guys are no longer rivals. It would be like bullying an 8 year old kid.

dear diary
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#930 » by spearsy23 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Sinobas wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

Ha, why would I be "trolling" on the board of a basement team? You guys are no longer rivals. It would be like bullying an 8 year old kid. I was just reminded of how you guys lost Sabonis since he's on the trade block now. Pacers should keep him, because I think he's a future all-star.

If rivalries are based around how equal teams are it was a very short lived rivalry. Two whole years.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#931 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:50 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Horne to the athletic?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#932 » by Old Man Game » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:12 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Horne to the athletic?

He strongly alluded to that on the last Thunder Buddies he was on. 'People can probably put two and two together.'
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#933 » by Old Man Game » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm so amused by this troll showing up to give us bunk about how our team isn't good anymore. We're tanking. You can't shame us about how bad the team is. And 'you all probably feel really bad about losing Sabonis now He's going to be an all star.' Like he just lifted the script from the James Harden trade and grafted it onto this situation.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#934 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I'm so amused by this troll showing up to give us bunk about how our team isn't good anymore. We're tanking. You can't shame us about how bad the team is. And 'you all probably feel really bad about losing Sabonis now He's going to be an all star.' Like he just lifted the script from the James Harden trade and grafted it onto this situation.

I'm pretty sure he got a ban last time. I'm guessing as soon as it was lifted he came back to boost his self esteem.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#935 » by Old Man Game » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:31 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I'm so amused by this troll showing up to give us bunk about how our team isn't good anymore. We're tanking. You can't shame us about how bad the team is. And 'you all probably feel really bad about losing Sabonis now He's going to be an all star.' Like he just lifted the script from the James Harden trade and grafted it onto this situation.

I'm pretty sure he got a ban last time. I'm guessing as soon as it was lifted he came back to boost his self esteem.

One thing is for sure, I feel really bad about myself now. I wish I were cool like him. If only I'd voluntarily made the decision to root for a good pro basketball team like he did my life would be so much better. Girls, money, influence, it all could have been mine.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#936 » by slick_watts » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:33 pm

so andre roberson is done, right? he's missed almost as much time as antonio mcdyess missed in the early 00's, and mcdyess not only recovered from the same injury andre roberson had, but also a fractured knee cap after recovering from the patellar tendon.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#937 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 pm

slick_watts wrote:so andre roberson is done, right? he's missed almost as much time as antonio mcdyess missed in the early 00's, and mcdyess not only recovered from the same injury andre roberson had, but also a fractured knee cap after recovering from the patellar tendon.

I think he'll make a couple of brief appearances followed by extended games off. Then he'll be officially shut down later in the season but strictly as a "precaution".
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#938 » by Old Man Game » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:36 pm

slick_watts wrote:so andre roberson is done, right? he's missed almost as much time as antonio mcdyess missed in the early 00's, and mcdyess not only recovered from the same injury andre roberson had, but also a fractured knee cap after recovering from the patellar tendon.
Pretty amazing. I didn't realize it was this severe an injury. Didn't Caron Butler have this same thing?

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#939 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:22 pm

Spoiler:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Horne to the athletic?

He strongly alluded to that on the last Thunder Buddies he was on. 'People can probably put two and two together.'

Read on Twitter
?
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#940 » by Osirus89 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

One thing is for sure, I feel really bad about myself now. I wish I were cool like him. If only I'd voluntarily made the decision to root for a good pro basketball team like he did my life would be so much better. Girls, money, influence, it all could have been mine.

Since when is Portland a "good" basketball team? This season they will be back to their "regularly scheduled first round fodder programming".

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder