ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Re: UCF Football vs ECU 

Post#901 » by nymets1 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:25 am

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Lot of people overrated on twitter when College Gameday announced on their twitter page that they are coming to Baton Rouge for Florida at LSU. Oklahoma vs Texas game is on FOX and FOX will be there for the red river rivalry doing their pre-game show before the game and ESPN can't go to Oklahoma vs Texas because FOX has the rights that ESPN can't be there with them. Plus the game is at noon. You can't have College Gameday at the Red river rivalry from 9 am to 12 and than the game immediately tips off at noon, LOL people at College Gameday might not get in the stadium til around 12:30 and they would have already missed almost the 1st quarter.

College Gameday has no choice but to go to Florida at LSU and its the best matchup cause both teams are undefeated, top 10 AP teams and top teams in the SEC.

you realize the game day crew doesnt call games except for Herbie, and he always does the night game almost always at another location (probably Iows vs Penn St). So it wouldnt matter how packed the area is.

I'm confused with what you said.

Last week they had to go to Auburn at Florida a 3:30 pm that clearly was the best matchup on the schedule last week.
Than this week Oklahoma vs Texas is at 12 noon and also since FOX is there and has the Rights, ESPN can't go there with FOX there and College Gameday wasn't going to the Red River Rivarly with the game at 12.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#902 » by nymets1 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:31 am

UCF wrote:Gabriel is the future for this team. I hope Milton comes back and he should start if he’s healthy. Dillon will be best served having this year to play, next to watch and refine and than come back for two/three years to hopefully dominate.

We’re 4-2 and in most years we would be thrilled with that. Perspective is hard for people who can’t remember the years we weren’t good. 4-2 is a good team.

Some people out there like on twitter, etc couldn't wait til UCF lost a game and the next games. We did so great the last 2 years that eventually losses were coming. I wish those people would remember these things:

1. Our 2 losses are on the road by a combined 4 points(Pitt by 1 and Cincy by 3)

2. We played Pitt and Cincy at home last year and destroyed both teams. Than the next year which is this year We have to go play both of them at their place when they are trying to revenge from last year. It's a tough task for UCF to travel to both Pitt and Cincy the next year at their home and UCF has a freshman QB.

3. There are a few issues at QB, on defense and dumb penalties. Those 3 things caused the 2 losses.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#903 » by tiderulz » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:34 am

nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Lot of people overrated on twitter when College Gameday announced on their twitter page that they are coming to Baton Rouge for Florida at LSU. Oklahoma vs Texas game is on FOX and FOX will be there for the red river rivalry doing their pre-game show before the game and ESPN can't go to Oklahoma vs Texas because FOX has the rights that ESPN can't be there with them. Plus the game is at noon. You can't have College Gameday at the Red river rivalry from 9 am to 12 and than the game immediately tips off at noon, LOL people at College Gameday might not get in the stadium til around 12:30 and they would have already missed almost the 1st quarter.

College Gameday has no choice but to go to Florida at LSU and its the best matchup cause both teams are undefeated, top 10 AP teams and top teams in the SEC.

you realize the game day crew doesnt call games except for Herbie, and he always does the night game almost always at another location (probably Iows vs Penn St). So it wouldnt matter how packed the area is.

Last week they had to go to Auburn at Florida a 3:30 pm that clearly was the best matchup on the schedule last week.
Than this week Oklahoma vs Texas is at 12 noon and also since FOX is there and has the Rights, ESPN can't go there with FOX there and College Gameday wasn't going to the Red River Rivarly with the game at 12.

they go to the location, but they dont call the game. They went to the Auburn FLA game, but the Gameday crew didnt call the game (Brad Nessler and Gary Danielson call the CBS game). The GameDay crew does not call any game. So if FOX had the game rights, it wouldnt necessarily stop GameDay from being there. Now maybe ESPN and Fox agree not to go to the same location, i dunno. But you saying the Gameday crew might not get into the stadium, that wont matter as they would be going into the stadium.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#904 » by nymets1 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:26 am

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:you realize the game day crew doesnt call games except for Herbie, and he always does the night game almost always at another location (probably Iows vs Penn St). So it wouldnt matter how packed the area is.

they go to the location, but they dont call the game. They went to the Auburn FLA game, but the Gameday crew didnt call the game (Brad Nessler and Gary Danielson call the CBS game). The GameDay crew does not call any game. So if FOX had the game rights, it wouldnt necessarily stop GameDay from being there. Now maybe ESPN and Fox agree not to go to the same location, i dunno. But you saying the Gameday crew might not get into the stadium, that wont matter as they would be going into the stadium.

No I didn't say College Gameday can't get into the stadium. I said College Gameday can't do their show from 9 am to 12 when FOX is also there and has the rights. Actually when College Gameday is at a campus it is almost always Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler that do the broadcast on ESPN or ABC.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#905 » by tiderulz » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:43 am

nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:

No I didn't say College Gameday can't get into the stadium. I said College Gameday can't do their show from 9 am to 12 when FOX is also there and has the rights. Actually when College Gameday is at a campus it is almost always Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler that do the broadcast on ESPN or ABC.

you literally said that
nymets1 wrote: LOL people at College Gameday might not get in the stadium til around 12:30 and they would have already missed almost the 1st quarter.

edit: okay, i read that as people from Gameday, i think you meant the people around gameday. so my bad on that if so

And Kirk does the night ABC game, but a lot of time it is not the game at the location of Gameday.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#906 » by nymets1 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:46 pm

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:they go to the location, but they dont call the game. They went to the Auburn FLA game, but the Gameday crew didnt call the game (Brad Nessler and Gary Danielson call the CBS game). The GameDay crew does not call any game. So if FOX had the game rights, it wouldnt necessarily stop GameDay from being there. Now maybe ESPN and Fox agree not to go to the same location, i dunno. But you saying the Gameday crew might not get into the stadium, that wont matter as they would be going into the stadium.

you literally said that
nymets1 wrote: LOL people at College Gameday might not get in the stadium til around 12:30 and they would have already missed almost the 1st quarter.

edit: okay, i read that as people from Gameday, i think you meant the people around gameday. so my bad on that if so

And Kirk does the night ABC game, but a lot of time it is not the game at the location of Gameday.

Yea I meant the fans attending College Gameday if College Gameday was there for 9am to 12 for Oklahoma vs Texas and than racing into the stadium and having already missed most of the 1st quarter. Exactly why it would be a bad idea for College Gameday to be doing their show there from 9 am to 12 and the game kicks off at noon- bad idea.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Post#907 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 pm

BJ Taylor snagged a 10 day exhibition deal with the Clippers. He's expected to be a 1st rounder in the G-League draft (didn't know they had one, lol).
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#908 » by UCF » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:26 am

Thought he’d be playing for the g-league magic but this looks to be a good opportunity for him to make the league. The magic are stacked at PG so no chance this season he makes the roster.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#909 » by UCF » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Marc is the type of broadcaster schools could only hope to have. BOOM!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#910 » by craig01 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:39 am

UCF wrote:
Read on Twitter

Marc is the type of broadcaster schools could only hope to have. BOOM!

To top off MD’s history with Ucf, he’s genuinely down to earth and a good guy.

Glad he’s been here through the years
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,905

Post#911 » by Knightro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:06 am

This game was an interesting look at perspective for me.

I found myself getting upset at Heupel at times over his play calling, but then you look at the box score and realize UCF had 611 yards of offense which is the 2nd most they've had this season.

It's easy to get lost in the minutiae of individual plays and even individual series and lose sight of the bigger picture.

The home winning streak continues. The dream of making it back to the conference title game is still alive. 5-2 with a true freshman QB starting really isn't terrible.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#912 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:41 am

Knightro wrote:This game was an interesting look at perspective for me.

I found myself getting upset at Heupel at times over his play calling, but then you look at the box score and realize UCF had 611 yards of offense which is the 2nd most they've had this season.

It's easy to get lost in the minutiae of individual plays and even individual series and lose sight of the bigger picture.

The home winning streak continues. The dream of making it back to the conference title game is still alive. 5-2 with a true freshman QB starting really isn't terrible.

True, it’s not terrible.

I am not one that usually gets ticked off with coaches decisions, but the play calling in the third quarter was horrible.

2nd half 3-and-outs are bad enough, but throwing deep sideline passes instead of getting first downs just kills this team.

Has Ucf played a four quarter game yet?

First half was brilliantly executed offensively. So, I should just be quiet.

What really is becoming disgusting though is the exodus by tens of thousands at halftime. There is no doubt that this is a direct effect on ucf’s crappy second half performances.

It’s not just the students (although they are a big part of it), it’s also the regular fans that find a way to leave at the half.

I just don’t get where it’s ok to leave at the half. Just stay one more hour?

It’s a great fanbase when they are there, but the fanbase has become very embarrassing with the exodus.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#913 » by Knightro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:44 am

To give a little context...

McKenzie Milton in 2016
10 games played (4-6 record, 2-1 in games MM didn’t play)
10 Passing TD, 1983 yards, 198.3 passing YPG, 57.7% completions, 5.6 YPA
75 carries, 365 yards, 3 TD (sack yards removed)
7 INT, 5 fumbles lost

Dillon Gabriel in 2019
7 games played (5-2 record)
17 Passing TD, 2000 yards, 285.7 passing YPG, 60.0% completions, 10.0 YPA
18 carries, 66 yards, 2 TD (sack yards removed)
5 INT, 2 fumbles lost

I know that the team Milton inherited was a lot worse than the one Gabriel inherited, but I think the two close losses at Pitt and at Cincinnati are really skewing people’s perception on how good this offense has been with an inexperienced teenager at the helm.

They’re 3rd in the nation in yards per game and 5th in points per game with a QB who isn’t even close to a finished product.

Having a couple of losses stinks, but the future is still very, very bright.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#914 » by Knightro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am

craig01 wrote:There is no doubt that this is a direct effect on ucf’s crappy second half performances.

I just think this is a combination of the downside to having success and having a college campus in a big city where there’s a lot to do.

UCF has led by 48, 31, 42 and 29 at *halftime* of all four of their home games so far this year. A four touchdown lead minimum at every home game at the halfway point certainly saps the crowd’s desire to stick around and cheer them on in the second half.

There’s been basically a 0.0000001% chance of UCF losing a home game after halftime and a lot of fans, especially students, just aren’t interested in what amounts to extended garbage time.

UCF was about as uninterested as humanly possibly in the second half last night and ECU only got it within *two* scores with about a minute left.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#915 » by nymets1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:01 pm

I thought the Broadcasters on CBS sports network channel were ignorant by saying ECU looks like or is playing than UCF in the 2nd half and they never mentioned all the fans that left around halftime and that was a big factor. Perhaps someone from UCF should tell the broadcasters say for example Gabriel Davis. Gabriel Davis using an example if he can tell the broadcasters to say on air that I Gabriel Davis said it hurts our team when a lot of fans leave at halftime.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#916 » by drsd » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:31 pm

For me it is now probable that Appalachian State will go undefeated. Then what?

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#917 » by Knightro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:31 pm

drsd wrote:For me it is now probable that Appalachian State will go undefeated. Then what?

Depends on who wins the American.

If SMU runs the table, they’ll get in over App State almost assuredly. They’re already ranked higher.

If Cincinnati or Memphis wins out, I think they’re getting in as a 1 loss AAC champion over App State as well.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#918 » by drsd » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Knightro wrote:
drsd wrote:For me it is now probable that Appalachian State will go undefeated. Then what?

Depends on who wins the American.

If SMU runs the table, they’ll get in over App State almost assuredly. They’re already ranked higher.

If Cincinnati or Memphis wins out, I think they’re getting in as a 1 loss AAC champion over App State as well.

The ridiculousness of Appalachian State must loom large.

magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#919 » by magicman112 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:59 pm

Well Boise lost this weekend they were the other main contender for a NY6 spot. UCF is pretty much out of it unless they get a lot of help. Would have to win out and get into the AAC title game which would require Cincy to lose twice as if they only lose once they own the tiebreaker over us. And even if that does happen they'd have to be picked over teams that would likely only have one loss.
nymets1
Head Coach

Re: UCF Football @ Temple 

Post#920 » by nymets1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:11 am

Appalachian State don't play anybody except maybe the game at South Carolina

Boise State only quality opponent is BYU but Boise State just lost to BYU without BYU'S starting QB. Baylor Romney isn't as good as starter Zach Wilson.

Return to Orlando Magic