ImageImageImageImageImage

Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me"

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,596

Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me" 

Post#1 » by dTox » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:05 pm

https://theathletic.com/1304153/2019/10/21/detroit-pistons-coach-dwane-casey-on-the-toronto-raptors-title-it-really-energized-me-that-what-we-were-doing-was-right/

“I think everybody thought I would be, ‘Woe is me.’ But I looked at it the other way,” Casey recently told The Athletic. “What it did, it reinforced what I was I doing. And that group took it over the hump and finished it. The foundation, what we were building, how I was building it, was good. Running the same offense, same defense, same philosophy, same things we built there for seven years, so it enthused me. I was happy for the players, for the country and the team. It really energized me, that what we were doing was right. I took that with it, more than jealousy.”

“It was all positive. There was nobody that I know, family or whatever, that was pissed off that (the Raptors) won the championship. Believe me, I was just pulling for them, as much as every else. Everybody was expecting me to be like,” Casey paused, lowering his head, slouching his shoulders, and curling his lips as if to mope. “No, not at all.”

“I wasn’t there to see it through fruition but you can’t take away the numbers and what we accomplished. Again, it’s not a championship. But I don’t know if we were really ready or built for a championship with that group,” said Casey, the only coach in Raptors franchise history to leave with a winning record (320-238). “They had to add (Marc) Gasol, and Danny Green and Kawhi to that foundation that was there, to go ahead. That’s what I want to do here. That’s why Tom has given me a long term contract to build it here and that’s what we’re on the road to doing.”

But even with those roster changes, Casey takes some pride in having a hand in developing and molding players such as Lowry, Pascal Siakam, Fred VanVleet and Norman Powell, who were essential figures in the title run. Casey said he sent congratulatory text messages to several of his former players. “I was so excited,” Casey said. “All of those guys that I had there, I was excited for.”

Before the Finals began, Ujiri made it a point to acknowledge Casey’s contributions to the organization, while adding that Casey and DeRozan, “are part of this.” During the season, Lowry credited Casey, a coach with whom he didn’t always see eye-to-eye, for giving him the freedom to fail. “We had our disagreements but not arguments about how we should play, the way I play, the way the team plays. But we figured it out, which is a big thing in this game is to earn the trust of each other,” Lowry told The Athletic.

“For me, I’m going to prove to you what I can do and I’m going to make you trust me. He made me prove it, and once I proved it, he let me do whatever the hell I wanted. He became a better coach because he was able to adjust to everything, everybody and let us all become better basketball players. He’s helped a lot of people and we’ve helped him.”

“It was kind of, do you take Kyle? Don’t take Kyle? People don’t realize, when he first came in, Jose Calderon was the starting point guard but Kyle kept his nose to the ground, changed his body,” Casey said. “Kyle is self made. Does a lot with a little. So proud of him, the way that he’s become a leader of the team and the legacy he’s going to leave in Toronto is going to be second to none. Probably DeMar, Vince Carter, and that group will be right there at the top.”

VanVleet cracked his way into Casey’s rotation despite being an undrafted free agent and Powell become a serviceable role player despite going in the second round, but Casey is especially proud of seeing Siakam blossom into a Most Improved Player award winner who averaged 19.8 points on 50.5 percent shooting in the Finals, despite being guarded mostly by a former Defensive Player of the Year in Draymond Green.

“The thing about Pascal, I saw where he started,” Casey said. “The dude had no load management, he worked three times a day. It just didn’t happen this year. Everybody wants to say that, no, I saw that building. That first year, his rookie year where he started 40-something games, gave him confidence. Made him hungry to build in the summer time. He put the work in, to get to where he is, to be a max player that he is now.”

After his first season in San Antonio ended with a disappointing first-round exit, DeRozan escaped to Wyoming to clear his mind while the player he was traded for went on to claim his second Finals MVP. Casey needed no getaway but his summer included a dinner with DeRozan that he said involved little discussion of Toronto. “DeMar is over it,” Casey said. “We talked more about San Antonio. What’s going on with his career, his family. Nobody is sitting around crying in spilled milk about what happened, what could’ve happened. Everybody has got to move on, and move on to the next phase.

“I’m happy as I can be, as far as for them and what we’re building in Detroit is the same thing we were building in Toronto.” Casey said. “What we started here is ahead of where we started in Toronto. We’ve got good, young players here. A good mixture of old and young. The guys are working, putting the time in and the good thing here is we do have some veteran guys like Blake and Reggie (Jackson) and Andre (Drummond) that are more established than we had in Toronto, but the same footprint.”
TBZ for the win
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Re: Casey on the Toronto Raptors’ title: "It really energized me" 

Post#2 » by refshateRaps » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:09 pm

A proud fluffer

... “We have some of the best fans, some of the most knowledgeable fans. People back in Toronto got upset, thought I was (disrespecting) them, but this organization has had three (championship) parades. They know winning basketball. They know what a championship looks like, tastes like and feels like."

https://www.mlive.com/pistons/2019/03/pistons-have-turned-little-caesars-arena-into-a-hot-gym.html
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#3 » by Danny1616 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Casey is a good guy, and is a good coach with many flaws as a coach.

His main issue was always rotations. What set Nurse apart from Casey is that he knew how to adjust and wasn't bound to the same line-ups and rotation minutes every single game.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm

This guy is so petty.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,434

Post#5 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:20 pm

This guy still doesn't get it. If Casey were the coach, we would have lost against Philly, there's no doubt in my mind.

He is a great regular season coach. He's all about consistency, preparation, and work hard. But come the playoffs, you need to be savvy enough to coach within a game and play chess which Nurse was masterful of.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#6 » by Matty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 pm

He is right though. It does vindicate his methods. We probably could have still won a title with Casey because it's not like Nurse was doing anything special unique to himself outside of being more open to different combinations. We brought 3 veteran players with championship/deep playoffs experience. That made a much bigger difference than the coaching change.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,360

Post#7 » by tdotrep2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Not 1 mention of nurse huh? This gota little salty stank to it
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,596

Post#8 » by dTox » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Interesting how he basically gave himself more credit for this team's play in that article than the actual head coach (Nurse)
TBZ for the win
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,473

Post#9 » by PD28 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:45 pm

I really question the basketball IQ of those who think Casey could've won this year with the same team. He says we ran the same offence and defence? Um nope. Casey would've NEVER ran the box-and1 against the Warriors. When we went down, 0-2 vs the Bucks, he would've went back to ISO ball and tightened the rotation further.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#10 » by Indeed » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:46 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:This guy still doesn't get it. If Casey were the coach, we would have lost against Philly, there's no doubt in my mind.

He is a great regular season coach. He's all about consistency, preparation, and work hard. But come the playoffs, you need to be savvy enough to coach within a game and play chess which Nurse was masterful of.

If Casey is the coach, Leonard will not be healthy from the playoffs, and maybe ask for trade on how he is treated like in San Antonio.
Just ask Blake Griffin.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,553

Post#11 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:46 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:This guy still doesn't get it. If Casey were the coach, we would have lost against Philly, there's no doubt in my mind.

No the difference was Nurse had Kawhi in the Philly series. Nurse does deserve credit however for the Bucks and Warriors wins.

I don't know why this board is so critical of Casey. Despite his flaws he was a true professional and among our top 2 coaches ever. He drove me nuts at times but at the end of the day I'm not sure Nurse would have gone past LeBron either.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#12 » by Tanner » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Nurse made more adjustments against the Bucks and Warriors alone than Casey did in his entire run, and this coming from someone who didn't like Nurse before that Bucks series.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Post#13 » by refshateRaps » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Indeed wrote:

If Casey is the coach, Leonard will not be healthy from the playoffs, and maybe ask for trade on how he is treated like in San Antonio.
Just ask Blake Griffin.

Lest we forget Lowry being run into the ground every season under Casey
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#14 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:

No the difference was Nurse had Kawhi in the Philly series. Nurse does deserve credit however for the Bucks and Warriors wins.

I don't know why this board is so critical of Casey. Despite his flaws he was a true professional and among our top 2 coaches ever. He drove me nuts at times but at the end of the day I'm not sure Nurse would have gone past LeBron either.

Tunnel vision I see.

Obviously Kawhi played a large part but Nurse moving to the big line up of playing Serge and Gasol made a huge difference and the reason why we won.
Alpha Mentality
Assistant Coach
And1: 14,102

Post#15 » by Alpha Mentality » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:00 pm

When Casey got fired it really energized me.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#16 » by StopitLeo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:06 pm

That's why we beat the Bucks in my opinion. Milwaukee was over-achieving all year and it seems to me that Budenholzer just stuck with what was working since they were winning. That's exactly what Casey did; find a way to win regular season games and stick with it. This of course comes back to bite you in the playoffs because you don't have enough options to go to when making adjustments, you can only try harder at what you're doing (Fred literally said this).

Meanwhile, Nurse explained as early as training camp that he would do a lot of experimenting to have more tools in the toolbox for the playoffs (he blamed the lack of tools as a reason for prior post-season failure). He admitted that a lot wouldn't work and at some points said that they might even lose games, but explained that nobody was going to overreact about that. As we saw in the playoffs, Nurse and the team were able to make adjustments that eventually our opponents could not match.
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#17 » by First Step » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Very matoor response from Casey.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,490

Post#18 » by Mattd97 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm

“I think everybody thought I would be, ‘Woe is me.’ But I looked at it the other way,” Casey recently told The Athletic. “What it did, it reinforced what I was I doing. And that group took it over the hump and finished it. The foundation, what we were building, how I was building it, was good. Running the same offense, same defense, same philosophy, same things we built there for seven years, so it enthused me. I was happy for the players, for the country and the team. It really energized me, that what we were doing was right. I took that with it, more than jealousy.”

Most Casey quote ever -- just let me throw some shade as I tell you how good a guy I am. I wish the man so I'll will, and thank him for what he provided us, but damn hes so good at being passive aggressive.
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,761

Post#19 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Siakam started 40 games that year? I really don’t recall that at all. He was pretty insignificant box score wise. He’s come such a long way.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#20 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:29 pm

StopitLeo wrote:

That's why we beat the Bucks in my opinion. Milwaukee was over-achieving all year and it seems to me that Budenholzer just stuck with what was working since they were winning. That's exactly what Casey did; find a way to win regular season games and stick with it. This of course comes back to bite you in the playoffs because you don't have enough options to go to when making adjustments, you can only try harder at what you're doing (Fred literally said this).

Meanwhile, Nurse explained as early as training camp that he would do a lot of experimenting to have more tools in the toolbox for the playoffs (he blamed the lack of tools as a reason for prior post-season failure). He admitted that a lot wouldn't work and at some points said that they might even lose games, but explained that nobody was going to overreact about that. As we saw in the playoffs, Nurse and the team were able to make adjustments that eventually our opponents could not match.

Dwane Casey and Mike Babcock sure sound alike.

Return to Toronto Raptors