ImageImageImage

Boston/Memphis/Milwaukee pick watch

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Boston/Memphis/Milwaukee pick watch 

Post#1 » by Homerclease » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Can’t let these threads ever die!

Celtics own their own pick.

Memphis is top 6 protected.

Milwaukee is top 20 protected I believe.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: Boston/Memphis/Milwaukee pick watch 

Post#2 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Boston has their own first plus:

MEM first round draft pick (top 6 protected)

MIL first round draft pick (top 7 protected, then unprotected thereafter—underrated pick if Giannis gets injured, then leaves in FA)

ATL second round draft pick (31-55 protection, or it goes to Philly with 56-60 protection—I have no idea what this means at all, does it mean that its protected 31-60, and this is just a fake trade?)

BRK or NYK second round draft pick (less favorable, PHI gets more favorable of the two)

And they are giving their second-round pick to Charlotte unless it falls 31-53

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,540

Post#3 » by The Corey's » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 pm

Hope that Bucks fall down 10 spots and that Memphis doesn't convert while looking like absolute trash are the goals. IMO
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,056

Post#4 » by Gant » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Boston has their own first plus:

MIL first round draft pick (top 7 protected, then unprotected thereafter)

ATL second round draft pick (31-55 protection, or it goes to Philly with 56-60 protection—I have no idea what this means at all, does it mean that its protected 31-60, and this is just a fake trade?)

BRK or NYK second round draft pick (less favorable, PHI gets more favorable of the two)

--
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#5 » by Homerclease » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:33 pm

It’s a shame the way the protections worked out on th Memphis pick. Wiseman is the guy we could use most
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Gant wrote:

The Atlanta pick goes to Boston if it's 31-55. In other words, it's going to Boston.

No, the Hawks traded a conditional second round pick, protected 31-55, for Jabari Bird. Then used that same pick, protected 56-60, to trade with Philly. I think it literally just stays with the Hawks since these protections fill the entire second round. I don't study heavily protected second-round pick trades, but this seems weird that you can even execute trades like this. Like the Celtics could trade their first round pick 29 times, once to every team, with a 1-pick protection window?

First trade: https://www.nba.com/trade-deadline-deals-all-time-history#targetText=Hawks%20traded%20a%20conditional%202020,Jabari%20Bird%20and%20cash%20considerations.&targetText=Rockets%20traded%20James%20Ennis%20III,2021%20second%2Dround%20draft%20picks.
Second trade:
Read on Twitter
?lang=en
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,540

Post#7 » by The Corey's » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Gant wrote:

The Atlanta pick goes to Boston if it's 31-55. In other words, it's going to Boston.

So we want atlanta with the first overall pick.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,056

Post#8 » by Gant » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:45 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Gant wrote:

No, the Hawks traded a conditional second round pick, protected 31-55, for Jabari Bird. Then used that same pick, protected 56-60, to trade with Philly. I think it literally just stays with the Hawks since these protections fill the entire second round. I don't study heavily protected second-round pick trades, but this seems weird that you can even execute trades like this. Like the Celtics could trade their first round pick 29 times, once to every team, with a 1-pick protection window?

First trade: https://www.nba.com/trade-deadline-deals-all-time-history#targetText=Hawks%20traded%20a%20conditional%202020,Jabari%20Bird%20and%20cash%20considerations.&targetText=Rockets%20traded%20James%20Ennis%20III,2021%20second%2Dround%20draft%20picks.
Second trade:
Read on Twitter
?lang=en

You're right. very good.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#9 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Yes! it's not a boston celtics board without another teams first round pick watch thread. Some of my favorite threads over the years. Especially love the other teams fans that come here to tell us year after year that the pick won't convey, or won't be in the lotto, or will be in the lotto so we won't get it and how good a playoff team they are and will be the 28th pick.

In the end, the kings were still in the lotto. The lakers pick still went 10th. The nets picks were 1 and 3 when we cared. THe clippers pick did convey and wasn't 2nd round picks.

And the Grizz won't be making the playoffs and won't be a great team for the next 2 years.

Now, that bucks pick is just gravy on top of it all. No expectations.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#10 » by grindtime22 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Gant wrote:

Second trade:
Read on Twitter
?lang=en

I think what this is saying is that unless a miracle happens, the pick goes to Philly. Atlanta has no scenario where they keep the pick.

The initial trade was with Jabari Bird protected 31-55 as you said. So if it fell to 56-60, then we get the pick. They dumped Bird for us. That was essentially a fake pick to satisfy the both sides must give up something requirement. They then traded that same pick protected 56-60 to Philly. They had to "protect" that one 56-60, because that range already belonged to the Celtics. They are essentially trading conditional ranges to each team. So if it falls in the 56-60 range, then the Celtics get the pick (not happening). If it falls in the 31-55 range, then Philly gets the pick. Philly is getting the pick.

The "protected" phrase really is about what the Celtics/76ers don't get, as opposed to saying that the Hawks get to keep it.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#11 » by Wes-J » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 am

Jinx thread. Mods please lock it up.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:19 am

IN all reality we keep our 2nd, we get the Nets 2nd, we get our first, and the bucks first. Griz pick has higher odds of keeping now wtih the chance of bumping down the list to 7.

0 chance at the Hawks pick, that's a fake trade.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#13 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:11 am

Homerclease wrote:It’s a shame the way the protections worked out on th Memphis pick. Wiseman is the guy we could use most

Looking like he'd be the guy, yeah.. maybe Phoenix will be in a position to trade down, since they have Ayton..
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,220

Post#14 » by reload141 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:45 am

Memphis pick. We need that to pan out.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#15 » by FakeScreenName123 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:59 am

reload141 wrote:Memphis pick. We need that to pan out.

if memphis gets another top 3 guy this year and our pick rolls over they're gonna have jackson + morant + top3draftguyx they could be closer to .500 the year after... a real kings situation. do we want the 7th pick in this draft?
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,506

Post#16 » by snowman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 am

Yes we do. Don't want to take a chance on it going higher next season.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,220

Post#17 » by reload141 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:18 am

FakeScreenName123 wrote:

if memphis gets another top 3 guy this year and our pick rolls over they're gonna have jackson + morant + top3draftguyx they could be closer to .500 the year after... a real kings situation. do we want the 7th pick in this draft?

I really don't see it... What Sac did was completely out of the box and the exception, not the rule... with the dried up FA class already too they would be just banking on internal development
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:23 am

reload141 wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:

I really don't see it... What Sac did was completely out of the box and the exception, not the rule... with the dried up FA class already too they would be just banking on internal development

And sadly, i think the Kings regress this year and win less games than last year, if only by a few.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 am

FakeScreenName123 wrote:

I'll take my chances kicking the pick down the road. Morant hasn't played in the NBA yet, Jackson is a 3+D center, Brandon Clarke is a beast, but otherwise that's a really barren (shoutout Bruno Caboclo) team in a good West. I dunno, maybe Morant is an immediate revelation, but its not often it happens like that. It's hard to project out even a full year, but two years from now what teams in the West are they going to better than? Minny and Phoenix is all I will give them for now.

And just for roster construction, it's probably better to spread out draft picks so you don't have 3 firsts this year and then just 1 next year. But I'm all aboard the Bucks regression/Giannis leaving in FA and then the MIL pick being #1 in 2021. And the Suns traded it away lmao
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#20 » by grindtime22 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:59 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:

I'll take my chances kicking the pick down the road. Morant hasn't played in the NBA yet, Jackson is a 3+D center, Brandon Clarke is a beast, but otherwise that's a really barren (shoutout Bruno Caboclo) team in a good West. I dunno, maybe Morant is an immediate revelation, but its not often it happens like that. It's hard to project out even a full year, but two years from now what teams in the West are they going to better than? Minny and Phoenix is all I will give them for now.

And just for roster construction, it's probably better to spread out draft picks so you don't have 3 firsts this year and then just 1 next year. But I'm all aboard the Bucks regression/Giannis leaving in FA and then the MIL pick being #1 in 2021. And the Suns traded it away lmao

Its hard to see the Bucks being in the bottom 7 this year for that to get to 2021. It would take a season ending injury to Giannis early in the season and even then they probably wouldn't fall that far.

Return to Boston Celtics