ImageImageImageImageImage

will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#61 » by stan francisco » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:05 am

Again, all-star.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,071

Post#62 » by HollowEarth » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:26 am

Penberthy wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Vegan is better for performance because the fuel is lighter on digestion.

I don't really see why they need to be vegan all year, just vegan during the season.

The diet is also not for everyone. People should know that vegan diet is better in most cases but not all. In some people a vegan diet is bad.

It definitely didn't affect his stress injury. Practicing hard all summer to be the third star would have done it.

That's HILARIOUS!. The #1 complaint of vegans is their horrible bloating, gas, and digestive issues. Could you even fathom the pile of beans, chickpeas, seeds, lentils, yeast, and soy (read: ESTROGEN), required to shovel down one's throat every hour just to get the requisite amount of calories and protein required to keep a 6'9 human being functioning on that level? He's gotta be grazing every single waking hour just like his fellow massive vegan cows and gorillas. Yep, super "light on digestion"

And ya, a non-contact stress fracture in your foot from normal running and jumping is SUPER NORMAL for a 24 year old athlete with no injury history. It's just a big coincidence that it happened precisely after he cut animal protein, fat and COLLAGEN out of his diet completely.

Maybe his diet caused his injury.

But that doesn't sound like how biology works. Cows eat their own puke.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#63 » by NippySudz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 am

stan francisco wrote:Again, all-star.
In the west??

If so, only by popular vote because he's good looking dude. Other than that, no way.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by stan francisco » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:49 am

NippySudz wrote:
In the west??

If so, only by popular vote because he's good looking dude. Other than that, no way.

If that’s your uninformed opinion, so be it. You see, it can’t be informed. He’s our Tatum, compare their stats if that’s your preference. Kuz makes $1.97M this year, $3.54M next year. He’s gonna be our third star, not just our third best player. Let’s revisit end of season, assuming reasonable health.

Kuz is a likable and confident dude from Detroit’s slums, a good kid with a generous personality, a big heart. He’s a hard worker, a blue collar guy. Junk yard dog mentality with some well refined ball skill and finesse, with good to explosive scoring touch, brings an energy force field to the court every night when healthy. Completely wants the big shot, he’s naturally unafraid, gravitates toward it. He’s a young Luke Skywalker. I predict he will be a fan fave this year as the unlikely and low paid third star who will take over at times. Think max potential over his career like James Worthy level impact, especially in big games.

But don’t ask me. I’ve only watched all of his NBA games and watched plenty of lengthy interviews with him. Ask Popovic instead. Or his private tutors Kobe and Metta World Peace.

His D has improved. Cheers.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by NippySudz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:30 am

stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
In the west??

If that’s your uninformed opinion, so be it. You see, it can’t be informed. He’s our Tatum, compare their stats if that’s your preference. Kuz makes $1.97M this year, $3.54M next year. He’s gonna be our third star, not just our third best player. Let’s revisit end of season, assuming reasonable health.

Kuz is a likable and confident dude from Detroit’s slums, a good kid with a generous personality, a big heart. He’s a hard worker, a blue collar guy. Junk yard dog mentality with some well refined ball skill and finesse, with good to explosive scoring touch, brings an energy force field to the court every night when healthy. Completely wants the big shot, he’s naturally unafraid, gravitates toward it. He’s a young Luke Skywalker. I predict he will be a fan fave this year as the unlikely and low paid third star who will take over at times. Think max potential over his career like James Worthy level impact, especially in big games.

But don’t ask me. I’ve only watched all of his NBA games and watched plenty of lengthy interviews with him. Ask Popovic instead. Or his private tutors Kobe and Metta World Peace.

Respectfully, Why are you bringing up how much money he makes? Total redherring and very irrelevant to the conversation. His wealth(or lack thereof) have no basis on he's a good player. He's great for what he makes, but that doesn't mean all-star. Just by that notion, we can say well, wiggins makes max money. Again, what do you mean by that? You bring up tatum, but tatum wouldn't be an all-star in the west. Hell, he wasn't an all star in the east. Maybe he will be this year.

The second part of your statement isn't saying much. I don't dispute Kuz's work ethic. You can work hard and not be as good. Seeing how the west is, he will only make it through popularity contests. It's super stacked this year and I don't think he makes it outside a popularity contest.

Comparing him(his impact) to james worthy, a hall of famer. What are we doing here?

I think for him to be an allstar, he's going to have to be on a higher level, something like 21points per game, solid defense , better FG percentage, etc.

I'm excited for the season to see what he can do.

He's a forward, NBA coaches are allowed to selected three frontcourt players and two backcourt and two wild pics.

What forward is kuzma better than in the west to land a spot on that all star selection? A west that has lebron, kawhi, ad, paul george, karl anthony towns, LaMarcus Aldrige etc as frontcourt selection players?

What's uninformed about my opinion other than the poetic narrative you waxed about Kuz? I'm honestly asking is kuz talented enough to land a spot on that roster? We'll see mate. We will see.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#66 » by Landsberger » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:39 am

So.... Kuzma sucks again.... the bias against this guy is really amazing. He's performed well above his draft slot, has shown durability our other young picks couldn't and out performed them to boot. The posters that line up with "reduced expectations" or negative expectations is really odd given he's been just about the most productive pick we've had in recent years. Seems like a lot of people are angry he's still here while others aren't.

All Star is a bogus thing anyway.... it's a popularity contest. His value to this team isn't and I think he could be the one guy who makes a difference for us against the top teams.

The whole "he doesn't play defense" thing is pretty overblown as well. It's the other side of the "Hart is a defensive stopper" coin.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by NippySudz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:43 am

Landsberger wrote:So.... Kuzma sucks again.... the bias against this guy is really amazing. He's performed well above his draft slot, has shown durability our other young picks couldn't and out performed them to boot. The posters that line up with "reduced expectations" or negative expectations is really odd given he's been just about the most productive pick we've had in recent years. Seems like a lot of people are angry he's still here while others aren't.

All Star is a bogus thing anyway.... it's a popularity contest. His value to this team isn't and I think he could be the one guy who makes a difference for us against the top teams.

The whole "he doesn't play defense" thing is pretty overblown as well. It's the other side of the "Hart is a defensive stopper" coin.

Kuzma doesn't suck. He's just not an all-star, especially in the west. He's great for what he makes. Price to performance, but doesn't mean he's an allstar.

There are players like Mike Conley who if he was in the east, he would be a perennial all star, but because he's playing in the west, he's never made the all star team.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#68 » by Kilroy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:25 am

I feel like this is a make or break season for Kuzma, in the sense that this isn't the same team we had a year ago. The rookie vibe is gone. No more chances. It's all about the performance on the floor now.
So it's such a different look for him, it's hard to say what he's going to do with his new role... But if he doesn't adapt and excel quickly, he's probably not going to be around long. The tough part is he hasn't played for real in a long time.

The good thing about the new team though is, he can come off the bench indefinitely and we'll be fine, so the pressure isn't quite as high as if we didn't have Green and he had to start right away. He can have the occasional off night and people may not notice. But we're still a championship caliber team and he'll get to be around that vibe and energy.

Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out for him. He could be an all-star. Tough to say if he will at this point.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by NippySudz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:31 am

Kilroy wrote:I feel like this is a make or break season for Kuzma, in the sense that this isn't the same team we had a year ago. The rookie vibe is gone. No more chances. It's all about the performance on the floor now.
So it's such a different look for him, it's hard to say what he's going to do with his new role... But if he doesn't adapt and excel quickly, he's probably not going to be around long. The tough part is he hasn't played for real in a long time.

The good thing about the new team though is, he can come off the bench indefinitely and we'll be fine, so the pressure isn't quite as high as if we didn't have Green and he had to start right away. He can have the occasional off night and people may not notice. But we're still a championship caliber team and he'll get to be around that vibe and energy.

Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out for him. He could be an all-star. Tough to say if he will at this point.

Id' argue the season doesn't matter for Kuzma. It matters in the PO season really, if he gets his usual numbers 18 on 45% shooting, 30% from three its not bad, its serviceable especially during the regular season

but if he's a liability come playoff time, I don't expect him to be in a lakers uniform very long. if teams are saggin off him because he can't shoot and he's not as solid defensively, he's going to struggle.

A lot of people have talked about his defense and just from a casual perspective, I've haven't seen someone improve defense so dramatically. All the players that I'm aware of, came in the league with good defensive principles. Sure, you can improve aspects of it. But I've just never saw someone go from being known as a terrible to defender to someone being solid or even 3rd-team defense.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#70 » by Landsberger » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 am

All I want to see from him is the same competitiveness we've seen. Not getting out over his skis and playing within his game. He's a natural scorer and while that's not valued like it once was it's still a necessary part of the game if you're going to win.

Focusing on last year's percentages is telling quite frankly. He's played 2 seasons and the lower of the numbers being pushed out is telling IMHO.

I agree with it being crucial for Kuzma.... at least from a personal standpoint. If he shows he can add to the team significantly and take a step forward with the fan base we have he has a chance at a future all star game. I don't think that's much of an accomplishment btw.... large market teams have a significant advantage in All Stars, HOF etc.... just the way it is.

I hope he fulfills his max potential here. If he does it will be a very interesting debate on whether or not we sign him long term. Letting him go opens up $5M of cap space or so.... keeping him will cost over $25M in this crazy market. Trading him will return a player worth between 2 and 5 Million depending on when we do it. Even at the worst..... he's worth 3 or 4 times that in this crazy NBA market.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by stan francisco » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 am

NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:In the west??

Respectfully, Why are you bringing up how much money he makes? Total redherring and very irrelevant to the conversation. His wealth(or lack thereof) have no basis on he's a good player. He's great for what he makes, but that doesn't mean all-star. Just by that notion, we can say well, wiggins makes max money. Again, what do you mean by that? You bring up tatum, but tatum wouldn't be an all-star in the west. Hell, he wasn't an all star in the east. Maybe he will be this year.

The second part of your statement isn't saying much. I don't dispute Kuz's work ethic. You can work hard and not be as good. Seeing how the west is, he will only make it through popularity contests. It's super stacked this year and I don't think he makes it outside a popularity contest.

Comparing him(his impact) to james worthy, a hall of famer. What are we doing here?

I think for him to be an allstar, he's going to have to be on a higher level, something like 21points per game, solid defense , better FG percentage, etc.

He's a forward, NBA coaches are allowed to selected three frontcourt players and two backcourt and two wild pics.

What forward is kuzma better than in the west to land a spot on that all star selection? A west that has lebron, kawhi, ad, paul george, karl anthony towns, LaMarcus Aldrige etc as frontcourt selection players?

What's uninformed about my opinion other than the poetic narrative you waxed about Kuz? I'm honestly asking is kuz talented enough to land a spot on that roster? We'll see mate. We will see.

I stopped reading after the first few sentences. You’re proving my point.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by NippySudz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:50 am

stan francisco wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

I stopped reading after the first few sentences. You’re proving my point.

I never brought up tatum. Responding to me as the op makes no sense.

You haven't said anything but wax poetic about him being an all star. But ok mate. We can agree to disagree no problem.

I just don't see your opinion is informed just because the guy worked on his game in the off-season.

Still haven't answered the question of who's spot is he going to replace to be an all star this year or years to come.

NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by NippySudz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:00 am

Landsberger wrote:All I want to see from him is the same competitiveness we've seen. Not getting out over his skis and playing within his game. He's a natural scorer and while that's not valued like it once was it's still a necessary part of the game if you're going to win.

Focusing on last year's percentages is telling quite frankly. He's played 2 seasons and the lower of the numbers being pushed out is telling IMHO.

I agree with it being crucial for Kuzma.... at least from a personal standpoint. If he shows he can add to the team significantly and take a step forward with the fan base we have he has a chance at a future all star game. I don't think that's much of an accomplishment btw.... large market teams have a significant advantage in All Stars, HOF etc.... just the way it is.

I hope he fulfills his max potential here. If he does it will be a very interesting debate on whether or not we sign him long term. Letting him go opens up $5M of cap space or so.... keeping him will cost over $25M in this crazy market. Trading him will return a player worth between 2 and 5 Million depending on when we do it. Even at the worst..... he's worth 3 or 4 times that in this crazy NBA market.
If the coaches vote him in, it's an accomplishment. It means the coaches see he's playing well. If he's voted in by the fans, then well it's a popularity contest.

I think he's solid. I just don't think he's an all star in either conference but I'd love to be proven wrong. I'm not a kuz have by any means but I think some fans have unrealistic skill ceilings for players. Sometimes, unfair ceilings. (go both ways)

The way people are framing kuzma, Jalen rose included are framing it like it's a big three. It's not. It's LeBron and ad and kuzma is a quality piece on that team, no different than kawhi,pg, being the duo with Lou Williams being a key contributor. Lou,pg, kawhi isn't a big three. Neither is kuzma,bron and ad.

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#74 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Kuz will be a success. Hes improved his game. Especially after leading team USA to a successful win over australia. After he.left the team, well, we all know what happened. 7th place
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by stan francisco » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Even if he didn’t improve his game at all over summer (he did), he’ll still be our third star. He scored 19PPG last season, showed good playmaking skills and improved defense toward end of last season.

Plugging him in next to LBJ and AD will only give him more cutting lanes and more wide open threes, which fits him perfectly.

There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s our third star, and I’ll be happy to wait for him to grow into it.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by NippySudz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:06 pm

stan francisco wrote:Even if he didn’t improve his game at all over summer (he did), he’ll still be our third star. He scored 19PPG last season, showed good playmaking skills and improved defense toward end of last season.

Plugging him in next to LBJ and AD will only give him more cutting lanes and more wide open threes, which fits him perfectly.

There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s our third star, and I’ll be happy to wait for him to grow into it.

his scoring might even go down since lebron james and AD will probably carry that load (or lebron can be the facilitator for both AD and Kuz and Kuz's number go up) but as long he's efficient with the shot he gets, it'll make an impact. If he's able to shoot close to 50% and not 45% on fewer shots, its going to be big for them.

But if he can't shoot, he might be a liability in the playoffs.

We'll see. I am personally a fan of him even if I am critical of his game.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by stan francisco » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 pm

NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Even if he didn’t improve his game at all over summer (he did), he’ll still be our third star. He scored 19PPG last season, showed good playmaking skills and improved defense toward end of last season.

his scoring might even go down since lebron james and AD will probably carry that load (or lebron can be the facilitator for both AD and Kuz and Kuz's number go up) but as long he's efficient with the shot he gets, it'll make an impact. If he's able to shoot close to 50% and not 45% on fewer shots, its going to be big for them.

But if he can't shoot, he might be a liability in the playoffs.

We'll see. I am personally a fan of him even if I am critical of his game.

Same here, not a blind homer but Kuz is a baller in the making.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,659

Post#78 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 pm

Kuz is back

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#79 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 pm

dockingsched wrote:Kuz is back

Read on Twitter

I can see him rusty for a few games
Forum permissions