Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVIII

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVIII 

Post#261 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:16 am

prime1time wrote:The league is in a very interesting place. A lot of young teams with young talent at redundant positions. Look at how many guards the Bulls and the Pelicans have. There's simply no way they can give all these guys minutes. It'd be interesting to see if Tommy is able to make things happen.

The one trade I could see happen is the acquisition of a backup center. Centers are cheap these days and several teams have too many. We have an abundance of 9th/10th man type of forwards. It would be nice if we could trade one for a 9th/10th man type of center.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#262 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:25 pm

There is no reason for us to be facing this problem. Tommy caused it for himself.

Both Christian Wood & Cheick Diallo were available this Summer as FAs. They were each signed for @$1.7m. Either would have been a really good back up C target.

If we had simply waived Howard & signed one of them, the total cost to us would have been under $7m (the player salary plus Howard's salary). Moreover, if the Lakers keep Howard, as seems likely, that number drops to $5.3m.

Instead, we traded Howard to Memphis for Miles. They waived Howard immediately, indicating that they saw Miles as valueless & would have waived him, but instead the trade saved them @$3.4m ($5.1m if LA keeps Howard), while we are on the hook for $8.7m, have the corpse of C.J. Miles, & lack a backup Center.

Memphis took advantage of Tommy Sheppard in that deal. A tyro mistake on his part. :(
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#263 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:38 pm

Our forwards are: Miles, Bertans, Rui, Brown, Wagner, Anderson, Jones & Bonga. Obviously, we aren't trading Bertans, Rui or Brown, & Justin Anderson was available for free all Summer. No one picked him up: we can assume he has no trade value. That leaves Miles, Wagner, Bonga & Jones.

B/c of how many guys we have, trading Jones for a player we wanted to keep would mean that someone else would have to go as well, so in effect we'd be trading 2 guys for, as you say, "a 9th-10th man Center." Plus, any competent GM understands that we are likely to let him go, making him available free -- you don't trade something for that guy.

Bonga is a prospect who's extremely young & has a lot of potential upside. We don't have much at stake this season, & to me it looks like it would be a mistake to move him -- tho, obviously, that would depend on what we were getting back.

The ideal guy to trade, therefore, would be either Miles or Wagner. I'd trade Wagner in a minute, but I don't think they want to trade him. &, Miles' salary makes him essentially untradable.

Hard to see a potential good move here. :(
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#264 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:41 pm

Excellent idea to try to trade for Hernangomez. I recall suggesting that last season after he had an excellent game against the Wiz. Not sure why the Hornets didn't use him more. I think he has the physical ability to be a decent defender though not an explosive shot-blocker- he's a decent athlete and runs the floor well. Now that he's shown 3 point range ability, he's an asset.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#265 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:53 pm

payitforward wrote:Our forwards are: Miles, Bertans, Rui, Brown, Wagner, Anderson, Jones & Bonga. Obviously, we aren't trading Bertans, Rui or Brown, & Justin Anderson was available for free all Summer. No one picked him up: we can assume he has no trade value. That leaves Miles, Wagner, Bonga & Jones.

B/c of how many guys we have, trading Jones for a player we wanted to keep would mean that someone else would have to go as well, so in effect we'd be trading 2 guys for, as you say, "a 9th-10th man Center." Plus, any competent GM understands that we are likely to let him go, making him available free -- you don't trade something for that guy.

Bonga is a prospect who's extremely young & has a lot of potential upside. We don't have much at stake this season, & to me it looks like it would be a mistake to move him -- tho, obviously, that would depend on what we were getting back.

The ideal guy to trade, therefore, would be either Miles or Wagner. I'd trade Wagner in a minute, but I don't think they want to trade him. &, Miles' salary makes him essentially untradable.

The thing about Bonga - if... he ever becomes a decent player, it'll likely be after his rookie contract is over. I have no desire to develop a player for another team.

I think Wagner's upside... is Portis. I liked both Portis and Wagner in college, but I was wrong. They'll score some points for you, but their defense is too problematic, and they don't contribute much else.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#266 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:Our forwards are: Miles, Bertans, Rui, Brown, Wagner, Anderson, Jones & Bonga. Obviously, we aren't trading Bertans, Rui or Brown, & Justin Anderson was available for free all Summer. No one picked him up: we can assume he has no trade value. That leaves Miles, Wagner, Bonga & Jones.

The thing about Bonga - if... he ever becomes a decent player, it'll likely be after his rookie contract is over. I have no desire to develop a player for another team.

Exactly. That's my problem with him too. I'd try real hard and trade him for anything I could get.

Ruzious wrote:I think Wagner's upside... is Portis. I liked both Portis and Wagner in college, but I was wrong. They'll score some points for you, but their defense is too problematic, and they don't contribute much else.

That's an interesting comp. Portis, coming off the bench, can at least eat a few minutes without killing you. I hope Wagner can get to that level. For now, he's Portis minus the near-40% 3-point shooting.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#267 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:59 pm

Good points, both! At the same time, as with any trade, you'd have to look at what that "anything I could get" really was! I.e. if 3 players were available, along with a R2 pick -- & all for a single player exception! -- then maybe you can't get a turkey sandwich for him! In which case, since he has a guaranteed contract, might as well see whether/when/how far the kid does develop this year. Might have no choice but to do that!

I guess I'm just hoping that 1 of those 3 guys turns into a player, & since I'm pretty sure it ain't going to be Wagner & I'm worried we're going to simply let Jones go, I'm trying to make the sun shine on Isaac Bonga! :)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#268 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think Wagner's upside... is Portis. I liked both Portis and Wagner in college, but I was wrong. They'll score some points for you, but their defense is too problematic, and they don't contribute much else.

That's an interesting comp. Portis, coming off the bench, can at least eat a few minutes without killing you. I hope Wagner can get to that level. For now, he's Portis minus the near-40% 3-point shooting.

I can't see Wagner as having any chance to be as good as Portis (who is not good!). Portis was a much better college player than Wagner. Plus, he came out after his Sophomore year, yet his rookie numbers were way way better than Wagner's, even tho Mo came out after his Junior year.

I suppose that, since Portis has been more or less a bust, you could think that Wagner might reach that disappointing Portis level.... But, at least Portis rebounds.

(I just took a close look at Portis's numbers with us last year. Here's what's weird: if you just look at his 3-point & FT percentages, the guy had a .651 TS% -- absolutely great. & outside of shooting, the rest of what he did was a bit above average for a big overall. But, he took 12.5 two-pointers per 40 minutes at 45.8%, which was enough to drop his overall numbers in a well.)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,350

Post#269 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#270 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Herro played really well in SL, & he's played extremely well in pre-season as well. Above all, he is showing no difficulty hitting the NBA 3.

Still only 19.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#271 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:39 pm

I've got the absolute perfect Trade Deadline deal involving the Portland Trail Blazers! Portland has no true PF, they lack front court shooters, and they will have an abundance of expensive centers once Nurkic gets back from his injury mid-year. Portland is also $13M over the luxtax and facing some brutal luxtax penalties.

Here's the deal:

Washington trades: Mahinmi + Bertans
Portland trades: Whiteside + incentive

This is a dream trade for Portland. They get the exact type of player they need to balance their roster, and they get rid of locker room cancer Whiteside, whom they will presumably be hating by around February. Bertans might be the guy that puts them into contender status. A closing lineup of Lillard, McCollum, Bazemore, Bertans and Nurkic is formidable. And just as importantly, they save $4.6M in salary and another 9.5M in luxtax penalties for a total dollar savings of $14M!

We do it for the "incentive". Given how much we'd be helping them, just at the right time, I think that incentive could be quite a lot. I definitely think a 1st round pick is likely. Or maybe they give us Nassir Little. Probably some 2nd round picks too. This is a really helpful deal for Portland. The price should be steep.

From our perspective, we have about $4.4M in luxtax room so the deal puts us $200K over the luxtax. We can address that hopefully by buying out Whiteside for the cost of his contract minus the pro-rated amount of a vet-minimum deal (which would give him the opportunity to sign with a contender on a vet minimum deal).
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#272 » by gambitx777 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 pm

I would prefer miles and not bertins. Surly giving them bertins would get us more. But doing miles and Ian may save them less about -3 mill less them are still saving about 10-11 mill. So Ian and miles for white side for a lot protected first , turns into two seconds if not conved but when ever. Would be fair.
nate33 wrote:I've got the absolute perfect Trade Deadline deal involving the Portland Trail Blazers! Portland has no true PF, they lack front court shooters, and they will have an abundance of expensive centers once Nurkic gets back from his injury mid-year. Portland is also $13M over the luxtax and facing some brutal luxtax penalties.

Here's the deal:

This is a dream trade for Portland. They get the exact type of player they need to balance their roster, and they get rid of locker room cancer Whiteside, whom they will presumably be hating by around February. Bertans might be the guy that puts them into contender status. A closing lineup of Lillard, McCollum, Bazemore, Bertans and Nurkic is formidable. And just as importantly, they save $4.6M in salary and another 9.5M in luxtax penalties for a total dollar savings of $14M!

We do it for the "incentive". Given how much we'd be helping them, just at the right time, I think that incentive could be quite a lot. I definitely think a 1st round pick is likely. Or maybe they give us Nassir Little. Probably some 2nd round picks too. This is a really helpful deal for Portland. The price should be steep.

From our perspective, we have about $4.4M in luxtax room so the deal puts us $200K over the luxtax. We can address that hopefully by buying out Whiteside for the cost of his contract minus the pro-rated amount of a vet-minimum deal (which would give him the opportunity to sign with a contender on a vet minimum deal).

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#273 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:49 am

nate33 wrote:I've got the absolute perfect Trade Deadline deal involving the Portland Trail Blazers! Portland has no true PF, they lack front court shooters, and they will have an abundance of expensive centers once Nurkic gets back from his injury mid-year. Portland is also $13M over the luxtax and facing some brutal luxtax penalties.

Here's the deal:

This is a cool idea, nate -- !!
thinker07
Junior
And1: 75

Post#274 » by thinker07 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:58 am

Here's the deal:

This is an interesting concept but obviously the deadline is a long way off.

1 -- I don't know that the Blazers are going to be that concerned about the luxury tax. The team is now owned by a charitable foundation run by Paul Allen's sister Jody. The foundation probably has something like $30 billion in assets. I don't believe that she is going to want to cut pennies if it diminished the team at all.

2 -- Whiteside might very well be a negative by February, but it is very much only a theory that Nurkic will return in February, much less be able to play major minutes, much less play at an impact level. At the same time, Whiteside might not be a negative. Historically he has been a selfish ass 100% of the time EXCEPT when he is playing for his next contract. That hasn't been the case since about 4 years ago.

3 -- I don't know that the Wizards will be that concerned about going into the luxury tax this year. They're right on the line now, but don't forget that insurance is likely to pay 80% of Wall's salary this year. That's $30.55 million that the Wizards are "spending" but not really. So that would mean that on a cash basis the Wiz have one of the lowest payrolls in the NBA this year. Also don't forget that the Wiz aren't as poor as the used to be having added Laurene Powell Jobs ( 6th richest woman in the world - heir to Steve Jobs Apple fortune) as a minority owner

4 -- The Blazers believe that they have their PF for this year -- Zach Collins. It's to be seen if he continues to develop, but that's who they're going with for now. If they want to go small, they'll likely move Collins to the 5 and play Rodney Hood at the 4 and Bazemore at the 3.

5 -- If the Blazers don't care about the tax THAT much, are they really going to give up Nassir Little and a pick for an expiring Bertans? If they would it's a no brainer for the Wiz
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#275 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:04 pm

thinker07 wrote:This is an interesting concept but obviously the deadline is a long way off.

1 -- I don't know that the Blazers are going to be that concerned about the luxury tax. The team is now owned by a charitable foundation run by Paul Allen's sister Jody. The foundation probably has something like $30 billion in assets. I don't believe that she is going to want to cut pennies if it diminished the team at all.

2 -- Whiteside might very well be a negative by February, but it is very much only a theory that Nurkic will return in February, much less be able to play major minutes, much less play at an impact level. At the same time, Whiteside might not be a negative. Historically he has been a selfish ass 100% of the time EXCEPT when he is playing for his next contract. That hasn't been the case since about 4 years ago.

3 -- I don't know that the Wizards will be that concerned about going into the luxury tax this year. They're right on the line now, but don't forget that insurance is likely to pay 80% of Wall's salary this year. That's $30.55 million that the Wizards are "spending" but not really. So that would mean that on a cash basis the Wiz have one of the lowest payrolls in the NBA this year. Also don't forget that the Wiz aren't as poor as the used to be having added Laurene Powell Jobs ( 6th richest woman in the world - heir to Steve Jobs Apple fortune) as a minority owner

4 -- The Blazers believe that they have their PF for this year -- Zach Collins. It's to be seen if he continues to develop, but that's who they're going with for now. If they want to go small, they'll likely move Collins to the 5 and play Rodney Hood at the 4 and Bazemore at the 3.

5 -- If the Blazers don't care about the tax THAT much, are they really going to give up Nassir Little and a pick for an expiring Bertans? If they would it's a no brainer for the Wiz

1. $14M is $14M. It matters. I agree that some owners are more willing to pay the tax than others, but let's not act like owners enjoy giving away money.

2. Yes. When proposing a trade that will take place 50 games from now, certain things must fall into place. If Whiteside is having a great season and Nurkic doesn't come back, then of course this trade won't work.

3. Avoiding the luxtax is EXTREMELY important this year because it is a near certainty the Wizards will be well over the luxtax in the final two years of Wall's contract. I agree that the Wizards will likely pay that tax to keep a good team together, but the key is to avoid the repeater tax. The repeater tax is draconian. You avoid the repeater tax by not being in the luxtax for 3 of the last 4 years. If they're in the luxtax this season and in 2021-22, they'll pay a repeater tax in 2022-23. By avoiding the luxtax this season, they'll avoid the repeater tax during the peak of Wall's contract.

4. Zach Collins is a center who lacks the skills and shooting to play PF. Rodney Hood at PF is exactly what I'm trying to avoid by making this trade for Portland. If Nurkic is healthy, having Bertans is unquestionably better for them than having Whiteside.

5. I was thinking Nassir Little OR a 1st round pick, not AND. (I would try and grab a 2nd round pick as well.) But the point is, this trade leverages our only real trade chips (an expendable Bertans and $4.4M in luxtax room) to the maximum extent possible in a single trade by giving a floor-stretching PF to a team that needs him most, and by offering luxtax savings to a team paying the highest luxtax. I don't see how we can possibly get a better return for those assets than in this deal. What exactly we get in return is a matter of negotiation.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#276 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Nurkic isn't healthy is the thing. The team is being purposely vague about his health and the talk is that he's possibly out past the allstar break. That's right around the time the team will probably be starting to hate Whiteside so the timing would be perfect.

That said, it's apparently the case that even before he passed away, Paul Allen was sort of alone in being willing to spend on the Blazers and that a lot of his relatives and business partners wanted to cut costs but he wouldn't. That said, I'm not quite sure what to make of the Blazers. They obviously brought out the chequebook for Lillard and McCollum. They added a touch of salary by moving Crabbe for Bazemore. And they added salary in the Harkless+Leonard for Whiteside deal, too, so they might not be looking to cut salary?

Either way, this seems rather reasonable in general and it wouldn't surprise me if something like this happened. I don't think it's happening just yet but I do think the Blazers might consider it if their season doesn't take off the way they're hoping and they're closer to a .500 team than a contender. Or alternatively, if Nurkic comes back and/or they decide they like Bertans better, then that would make sense, too. For the Wizards, it would really depend on the sweetener. They may or may not decide to keep Bertans beyond this season but it's more likely than them wanting to keep Whiteside beyond this season.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Here's a medium-sized trade thought: Wiz trade Wagner and a 2020 2nd rounder (I believe they own the better of the Bulls or Griz 2nd rounder from the Sato trade) to Milwaukee for Dragan Bender. Bender's signed cheaply through next season (non-guaranteed) and was not activated by Milwaukee in their first game despite having a very encouraging preseason.

Milwaukee does it because - unless they have injuries - Bender's not going to play. He's strictly a center in today's NBA, and they have both Lopez brothers ahead of him - not to mention Giannis, Ilyasova, and DJ Wilson can all fill in as small-ball centers. Besides, Wagner takes his place as a 3 point shooting center, and they get what will likely be a high 2nd round pick. That's especially useful for them since they have no 2nd round pick.

Wiz get a talented skilled young 7'1 center - who was the 4th pick in the draft - on a great contract. From what he did in preseason, it appears the light may have gone on for him - though he obviously has a lot to prove.

Or, we could take out Wagner and put in Bonga or McRae - though I wouldn't want the Wiz to do that.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 611

Post#278 » by trast66 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:Here's a medium-sized trade thought: Wiz trade Wagner and a 2020 2nd rounder (I believe they own the better of the Bulls or Griz 2nd rounder from the Sato trade) to Milwaukee for Dragan Bender. Bender's signed cheaply through next season (non-guaranteed) and was not activated by Milwaukee in their first game despite having a very encouraging preseason.

Milwaukee does it because - unless they have injuries - Bender's not going to play. He's strictly a center in today's NBA, and they have both Lopez brothers ahead of him - not to mention Giannis, Ilyasova, and DJ Wilson can all fill in as small-ball centers. Besides, Wagner takes his place as a 3 point shooting center, and they get what will likely be a high 2nd round pick. That's especially useful for them since they have no 2nd round pick.

Wiz get a talented skilled young 7'1 center - who was the 4th pick in the draft - on a great contract. From what he did in preseason, it appears the light may have gone on for him - though he obviously has a lot to prove.

Or, we could take out Wagner and put in Bonga.

Interesting trade. Bender would be the type of guy to take a look at (though he was a free agent and we passed so Tommy may not be high on him). I think I would prefer keeping the 2nd round pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:43 pm

trast66 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Here's a medium-sized trade thought: Wiz trade Wagner and a 2020 2nd rounder (I believe they own the better of the Bulls or Griz 2nd rounder from the Sato trade) to Milwaukee for Dragan Bender. Bender's signed cheaply through next season (non-guaranteed) and was not activated by Milwaukee in their first game despite having a very encouraging preseason.

Or, we could take out Wagner and put in Bonga.

Interesting trade. Bender would be the type of guy to take a look at (though he was a free agent and we passed so Tommy may not be high on him). I think I would prefer keeping the 2nd round pick.

Good points. I just don't think anyone expected Bender to look so good in the preseason, and now that he did, his value has appreciated.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#280 » by nate33 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Or, we could take out Wagner and put in Bonga or McRae - though I wouldn't want the Wiz to do that.

I'm not convinced that Bender has broken out in any meaningful way. Preseason is just preseason and his numbers were inflated by unsustainable 3-point shooting (.538). This from a guy who shot 22% from 3P range and 59% from the FT line last season. Also, he only managed to play 15 minutes a game in preseason. Bench players in preseason are playing against glorified G-Leaguers. I don't think their numbers are very meaningful.

If we are assigning meaning to preseason stats of bench players, then surely Wagner's preseason performance suggests he is better than Bender. And Wagner has had virtually no NBA experience, presumably giving him a higher potential for improvement. Should they be giving us the 2nd round pick?

Return to Washington Wizards