ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Fight Night Cannonier vs Hermansson lots of strikers! 

Post#321 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 7, 2019 8:43 pm

j4remi wrote:
Jscratch1200 wrote:Great points. I think it would be interesting to see either of them move up to the next weight class. Both are highly skilled fighters, but I'm not sure how well their bodies carry the extra weight.

I think it might be a even bigger challenge for Jones because a huge reason he has been so successful is his reach. That advantage gap closes quite a bit in the HW division. Plus fighters have been figuring him out lately, not so sure how he holds getting clipped by someone bigger.

Yeah, I'm really curious about both but Jones has the more dangerous path...partially because LHW is still trying to reload while HW has a fairly sturdy top 8 or so. I'm still not a believer of half the guys in the LHW top 10, Anthony Smith included. You pull Jon Jones out and it's a house of cards with no clear front runner (Walker is the flavor of the hour but super untested). Jones vs Ngannou has passed up Jones vs Rumble as the test I'm most curious to see for Jones.

Both Miocic and Ngannou would destroy non-juiced Jones. Santos would be the LHW champion if he had fought on two good legs. What do you think about that?
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,436

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Fight Night Cannonier vs Hermansson lots of strikers! 

Post#322 » by j4remi » Mon Oct 7, 2019 10:53 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Both Miocic and Ngannou would destroy non-juiced Jones. Santos would be the LHW champion if he had fought on two good legs. What do you think about that?

Stipe and Ngannou would depend entirely on if their power can translate because neither of them has the X-Factor that Santos had which was those leg kicks. I do think Jones got caught slipping and Santos coulda taken it healthy. I'm curious to see how he responds to the next guy, because those low attacks HAVE to be in the gameplan. With Stipe and Francis though, they don't throw those kicks well enough to fight at that distance with Jones imo. They'd be more or less looking to impose their stength advantage and work him upstairs imo. I'd be most eager to see how the clinch work goes, Jones OWNS that inside game with everyone at LHW. Stipe is no slouch though and Ngannou is just overwhelmingly strong.

The other thing is who knows how Jones would wear the extra 20 lbs or more? If he's able to drag fights down, his ground game would give him an edge over damn near everyone.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#323 » by bringbackhoffa » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:58 pm

2020 fights I want to see:
Khabib vs Tony
Rumble Johnson vs Francis Ngannou
Miocic v DC
Jones v Santos
Whitaker v Gastelum
Izzy v Till (the press conferences would be gold)
Benavidez vs Triple C
Cruz v Edgar
Dillashaw v Faber
Yan v Triple C
Zabit v Holloway
Gaethje v McGregor
Woodley v Colby
Schevshenko v Nunes III
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#324 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:04 pm

I watched Costa vs. Romero again last night on ESPN (Miocic vs. Cormier 2). I think Romero won the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Costa is clearly juicing. Why hasn't he been flagged?
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#325 » by j4remi » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:23 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:2020 fights I want to see:
Khabib vs Tony
Miocic v DC
Jones v Santos
Whitaker v Gastelum
Benavidez vs Triple C
Cruz v Edgar
Dillashaw v Faber
Yan v Triple C
Zabit v Holloway
Gaethje v McGregor
Woodley v Colby
Schevshenko v Nunes III

Those are at the top of my list too. I want Wonderboy vs Colby to happen badly too.

HarthorneWingo wrote:I watched Costa vs. Romero again last night on ESPN (Miocic vs. Cormier 2). I think Romero won the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Costa is clearly juicing. Why hasn't he been flagged?

I honestly have Romero beating Whitaker and Costa in the last two. The close decision that I didn't give to him was the Jacare fight which he actually got the decision on :noway: As for Costa not popping, he got 6 months for using an IV which we generally attribute to rehydration after a tough weight cut...BUT WADA says it can also be used to mask prohibited substances

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/26/18518683/paulo-costa-suspended-six-months-by-usada-for-prohibited-iv-use

I wouldn't say he def used, but there's plenty to be skeptical about :wink:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#326 » by j4remi » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:27 pm

We have weight cut drama for the card this weekend folks...and honestly the card was light to begin with.

Joanna Jerdzejczyk told the UFC a week ago that she was gonna miss weight. Michelle Waterson, her opponent, has refused to agree to a catch weight fight and a 30% cut of Joanna's check. The UFC also hasn't been able to find a stand in. We're talking about what was meant to be a number one contender fight and the main event on the card. Now that fight could get scrapped and leave us with fading Cub Swanson against green Kron Gracie as the main event without anything even close to resembling a co-main below it. I get Waterson's side of this too...fighting a former champion, elite opponent and letting them skip out on the weight cut in a fight that decides your title shot hopes; why on Earth would you take that risk?

Other than that. Kron Gracie is grappling elite, once winning ADCC by submitting every single opponent in the tournament. He also rolls with the scrap pack and has shown some development as a striker (and a bit of chin). Cub has some ground game but a lot of his losses have come down to getting subbed or taken down repeatedly. That said, he has massive power and much better striking. It's a fast finish type of fight regardless of who you pick.

Then it's all prospect showcase opportunities. Luis Pena is massive for 155 but has been a mixed bag. Mackenzie Dern is a fantastic grappling prospect who never makes weight. Eryk Anders is fighting Gerald Meerschaert which could be really good but it could potentially be a lot of clinching along the fence and position fighting.

The best fight after the main events (or event) is on the prelim. Niko Price is always exciting and he's fighting James Vick who cracked the top ten in lightweight before getting KO'ed ruthlessly by Gaethje and Hooker. Vick has now moved up in weight and if his chin holds, maybe he'll get some spark back...but his defensive mistakes were key in the KO's as much as the shoddy chin. Max Griffin is also on the prelim and I've always liked the guy but he's been stagnant and struggling for a while now.

Shaky card where I might not bother betting unless there are some crazy spreads...bout to blow my house money stack on preseason basketball instead smh (I have a problem).
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#327 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Yair vs Stephens finally happens tonight, 3 rounds instead of 5 which is good news for Yair. We also get Reyes vs Weidman...Weidman always wins early but finds a way to lose late against the better guys. I don't know that moving up to 205 changes that and I think Reyes is legit. Greg Hardy's fighting too, yall know how I feel about him by now...not true UFC talent being given soft targets that might not make the UFC otherwise. Deron Winn is promising but missed weight. Maycee Barber talks a lot of trash and is undefeated but I actually think Robertson is a real threat to her, that could be a fun fight.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#328 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 pm

j4remi wrote:Yair vs Stephens finally happens tonight, 3 rounds instead of 5 which is good news for Yair. We also get Reyes vs Weidman...Weidman always wins early but finds a way to lose late against the better guys. I don't know that moving up to 205 changes that and I think Reyes is legit. Greg Hardy's fighting too, yall know how I feel about him by now...not true UFC talent being given soft targets that might not make the UFC otherwise. Deron Winn is promising but missed weight. Maycee Barber talks a lot of trash and is undefeated but I actually think Robertson is a real threat to her, that could be a fun fight.

Looking forward to the last two two fights for sure. Hey, it's a free Fight Night for us cheapskates.
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#329 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:32 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Looking forward to the last two two fights for sure. Hey, it's a free Fight Night for us cheapskates.

Yeah, I dig it to kill time before the Knicks tip off. Last fight was pretty damned good from that new jack. Boston Salmon vs Costa next actually should be pretty hype too. These early fights are unproven guys, but not bad match-ups skillset wise. This one has KO written all over it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#330 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:07 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Looking forward to the last two two fights for sure. Hey, it's a free Fight Night for us cheapskates.

Yeah, I dig it to kill time before the Knicks tip off. Last fight was pretty damned good from that new jack. Boston Salmon vs Costa next actually should be pretty hype too. These early fights are unproven guys, but not bad match-ups skillset wise. This one has KO written all over it.

Oh definitely. It's fun to watch these future stars come up through the ranks, especially when you see that special talent when they're young.
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#331 » by j4remi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:09 pm

UFC Fight Night in Singapore this weekend actually has a pretty strong card with some heads to watch for. The first Thai fighter in UFC history debuts which has my friends hype. I gotta run back and grab a link to it, a few weeks ago my brother and I interviewed my buddy who's a trainer now and who trained for a year in Thailand. We didn't keep it strictly on MMA but a lot of MMA got into the mix of course (we're getting a BJJ head in soon too). I asked him what his biggest frustration is in MMA striking, not checking leg kicks was the winner.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#332 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:40 am

Some shyt is going on with Nate. He says he got tested and got popped for a false positive or tainted supplement. I believe Nate but who knows. Hopefully, they can get this resolved soon.

EDIT: Well, it's resolved.Nate Diaz appears to be out. Leon Edwards is in. :o

POSTING POLICIES:
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#333 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:56 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:2020 fights I want to see:
Khabib vs Tony
Miocic v DC
Jones v Santos
Whitaker v Gastelum
Benavidez vs Triple C
Cruz v Edgar
Dillashaw v Faber
Yan v Triple C
Zabit v Holloway
Gaethje v McGregor
Woodley v Colby
Schevshenko v Nunes III

Rumble Johnson (Aka Anthony Johnson) retired a few years ago.

Dillashaw has been suspended for 2 years which goes through 2020.

There's a lot of fights i want to see but none more than D.Cormier vs J.Jones and i don't understand why Cormier isn't even giving this a thought unless he just knows that he can't beat him, which would be why he's saying the only fight he wants to end his career on is fighting Miocic again. You're gonna be a hall of famer either way DC but why wouldn't you want to get one more shot at the guy you haven't been able to beat unless you know in your head that you can't beat him. I know Jones came up dirty with a very minimal amount (a peco gram or some shyt) of something after the 2nd fight but i'm not holding that against Jones for beating you. He made you cry man, don't you wanna get some get back for that?

So now Connor has said he's coming back and will fight either Cerrone or Gaethje. I'm a huge Cowboy fan but Connor will destroy him so i'd rather it be Gaethje.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#334 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:00 pm

j4remi wrote:Yair vs Stephens finally happens tonight, 3 rounds instead of 5 which is good news for Yair. We also get Reyes vs Weidman...Weidman always wins early but finds a way to lose late against the better guys. I don't know that moving up to 205 changes that and I think Reyes is legit. Greg Hardy's fighting too, yall know how I feel about him by now...not true UFC talent being given soft targets that might not make the UFC otherwise. Deron Winn is promising but missed weight. Maycee Barber talks a lot of trash and is undefeated but I actually think Robertson is a real threat to her, that could be a fun fight.

Maycee Barber is the real deal and i'm kinda proud of myself cause i said this chick will be a UFC champion the very first time i saw her fight. Well i guess i shouldn't be too proud yet since she obviously hasn't won a belt yet but i think she will. She's just a little youngin who's getting better every time she fights.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#335 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:06 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:

There's a lot of fights i want to see but none more than D.Cormier vs J.Jones and i don't understand why Cormier isn't even giving this a thought unless he just knows that he can't beat him, which would be why he's saying the only fight he wants to end his career on is fighting Miocic again. You're gonna be a hall of famer either way DC but why wouldn't you want to get one more shot at the guy you haven't been able to beat unless you know in your head that you can't beat him. I know Jones came up dirty with a very minimal amount (a peco gram or some shyt) of something after the 2nd fight but i'm not holding that against Jones for beating you. He made you cry man, don't you wanna get some get back for that?

So now Connor has said he's coming back and will fight either Cerrone or Gaethje. I'm a huge Cowboy fan but Connor will destroy him so i'd rather it be Gaethje.

There's been rumors that Rumble is angling for a comeback, but it feels like clockwork lately. The rumor comes out, Rumble denies it, rinse, wash, repeat. So the dream lives on but doubtful it ever happens imo. Rumble making 205 again would take a long time considering how big that dude got.

Mostly agreed on Jones/DC. I do like the Stipe rematch though because there was a lot going against DC in the second fight and I'd like to see him get that one back. I also give him the leeway of, he deserves to finish his career on a win and I don't see him beating Jones...but I mean...It's the pay day, he's a more compelling opponent for Jones than just about anyone and I'd prefer that one.

On Conor vs Gaethje, I'd LOVE that. But this tweet made me think it's gonna be Cowboy
Read on Twitter
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#336 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:08 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Some shyt is going on with Nate. He says he got tested and got popped for a false positive or tainted supplement. I believe Nate but who knows. Hopefully, they can get this resolved soon.

EDIT: Well, it's resolved.Nate Diaz appears to be out. Leon Edwards is in. :o

Well damn it this sux. I wanted to see this fight bad. I like that they gave the fight to L.Edwards cause that's the guy that Masvidal gave the 3 piece to and put a nice little cut under his eye backstage after a fight a while back but you can't do a fight for the BMF belt without Nate (F-Ing) Diaz.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#337 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:09 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:Maycee Barber is the real deal and i'm kinda proud of myself cause i said this chick will be a UFC champion the very first time i saw her fight. Well i guess i shouldn't be too proud yet since she obviously hasn't won a belt yet but i think she will. She's just a little youngin who's getting better every time she fights.

Fam, great call, I slept on just how strong Maycee is. Robertson couldn't move her an inch! I think Maycee should drop the PVZ stuff and focus on someone that gets her closer to a title conversation and tests her more. Andrea KGB Lee vs Maycee Barber...how amazing would that be? I'd love it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#338 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:14 pm

j4remi wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

There's been rumors that Rumble is angling for a comeback, but it feels like clockwork lately. The rumor comes out, Rumble denies it, rinse, wash, repeat. So the dream lives on but doubtful it ever happens imo. Rumble making 205 again would take a long time considering how big that dude got.

Mostly agreed on Jones/DC. I do like the Stipe rematch though because there was a lot going against DC in the second fight and I'd like to see him get that one back. I also give him the leeway of, he deserves to finish his career on a win and I don't see him beating Jones...but I mean...It's the pay day, he's a more compelling opponent for Jones than just about anyone and I'd prefer that one.

On Conor vs Gaethje, I'd LOVE that. But this tweet made me think it's gonna be Cowboy
Read on Twitter

Well damn again. Like i said, i'm a big Cowboy Cerrone fan but the dude is not gonna beat Connor and won't be able to take Connor's left hand to the body or face the way Gaethje can. The only way Cowboy beats him is if he can get Connor to the ground and get his back and neck but people underestimate Connor's take down defense just like people did with Joanna Jedrzejczyk.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#339 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:19 pm

j4remi wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:Maycee Barber is the real deal and i'm kinda proud of myself cause i said this chick will be a UFC champion the very first time i saw her fight. Well i guess i shouldn't be too proud yet since she obviously hasn't won a belt yet but i think she will. She's just a little youngin who's getting better every time she fights.

Fam, great call, I slept on just how strong Maycee is. Robertson couldn't move her an inch! I think Maycee should drop the PVZ stuff and focus on someone that gets her closer to a title conversation and tests her more. Andrea KGB Lee vs Maycee Barber...how amazing would that be? I'd love it.

Yeah PVZ's career got as far as it did because of how damn cute she is. I mean the chick can fight obviously but she'd never be in contention for a title fight. She's just a pretty face who can beat the lesser competition that sit at the bottom of the top 10 of her weight class but Maycee understands that she still needs to fight 2/3 more times before she deserves a title shot so if PVZ needs to be one of those 2/3 fights then i'm fine with it as long as they make her work her way up through the ranks. She looked as big as i've seen her against Robertson to.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#340 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:31 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:Well damn again. Like i said, i'm a big Cowboy Cerrone fan but the dude is not gonna beat Connor and won't be able to take Connor's left hand to the body or face the way Gaethje can. The only way Cowboy beats him is if he can get Connor to the ground and get his back and neck but people underestimate Connor's take down defense just like people did with Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

100% co-sign this. I can't see Cowboy lasting long enough for Conor to gas, so he'd need a quick takedown and some grinding to win. I think Conor and JJ have a similar thing where it's possible to get in on their hips but even when they get taken down, they're great at popping right back up. Like Conor vs Siver and JJ vs Andrade. JJ is especially great, it's really a slept on aspect of her game how she can be such an aggressive striker but super difficult to take down.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks