2019-20 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:44 am

Have at it! Thoughts so far? What are you looking forward to for your teams or the league in general?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2 » by eminence » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:49 am

Caught a bit of the Bulls v Hornets game in the early slot and then watched Jazz vs OKC. Bulls looked like an exciting young squad, White/Markannen in particular, though I don't think they'll be particularly good yet. Jazz vs OKC was a bit odd, Conley was almost unbelievably bad, 3 pt shot was off a bit for the entire squad, but pretty much everything else was solid to great (Davis could've played a bit better, but alright). Mitchell for sure looked absolutely great. SGA very promising, a lot to learn from CP3. Somebody is going to get CP3 for free and is going to be in great shape.
I bought a boat.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:26 am

Highlights of Kyrie's 50 points are fun. Scoring lead contending 42-40 casual fan wet dream season coming

I saw some of the Kings game and Bogdan was clearly going for his own stats. I would guess that team has some egos pop up the year after the surprise decent season. Jevon Carter looked like a good pickup for Suns.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:37 am

Kyrie always starts out hot but tends to fizzle 30 games in
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#5 » by MisterHibachi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:40 am

eminence wrote:Caught a bit of the Bulls v Hornets game in the early slot and then watched Jazz vs OKC. Bulls looked like an exciting young squad, White/Markannen in particular, though I don't think they'll be particularly good yet. Jazz vs OKC was a bit odd, Conley was almost unbelievably bad, 3 pt shot was off a bit for the entire squad, but pretty much everything else was solid to great (Davis could've played a bit better, but alright). Mitchell for sure looked absolutely great. SGA very promising, a lot to learn from CP3. Somebody is going to get CP3 for free and is going to be in great shape.

You think CP is going to be bought out?
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
eminence
RealGM

Post#6 » by eminence » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:58 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
eminence wrote:Caught a bit of the Bulls v Hornets game in the early slot and then watched Jazz vs OKC. Bulls looked like an exciting young squad, White/Markannen in particular, though I don't think they'll be particularly good yet. Jazz vs OKC was a bit odd, Conley was almost unbelievably bad, 3 pt shot was off a bit for the entire squad, but pretty much everything else was solid to great (Davis could've played a bit better, but alright). Mitchell for sure looked absolutely great. SGA very promising, a lot to learn from CP3. Somebody is going to get CP3 for free and is going to be in great shape.

Nah, just that the team who trades for him will pretty much only have to provide matching salary.
I bought a boat.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#7 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 pm

eminence wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:

Nah, just that the team who trades for him will pretty much only have to provide matching salary.

At his cap number there’s no such thing as matching salary being “for free”. Unless OKC just agrees to take on some horrendously toxic salary like Andrew Wiggins, no team can match salary without giving up some seriously good players.

The distinction makes a big difference for say, the Lakers who would have to give up Danny Green in any acquisition of Paul.

Hard to see a trade that doesn’t involve an asset going back to OKC unless you have an idea?
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
eminence
RealGM

Post#8 » by eminence » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
eminence wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:

At his cap number there’s no such thing as matching salary being “for free”. Unless OKC just agrees to take on some horrendously toxic salary like Andrew Wiggins, no team can match salary without giving up some seriously good players.

The distinction makes a big difference for say, the Lakers who would have to give up Danny Green in any acquisition of Paul.

Hard to see a trade that doesn’t involve an asset going back to OKC unless you have an idea?

Ehh, I think you're off here, probably ~1/3 of the league has serious money tied up in what we might consider bad salaries on a shorter time scale than CP3 (think Parsons) and could match him with ~2 guys. Now finding a team in that situation that's also looking to contend? A bit trickier - maybe the Pistons (Jackson/Snell), Heat (Dragic/Johnson), Mavs (THJ/Lee), Wolves (Wiggins or Teague/Dieng) all match up okay. I'm not saying some of those guys aren't solid players, but just don't carry a lot of positive value.
I bought a boat.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#9 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:34 pm

eminence wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
eminence wrote:

Ehh, I think you're off here, probably ~1/3 of the league has serious money tied up in what we might consider bad salaries on a shorter time scale than CP3 (think Parsons) and could match him with ~2 guys. Now finding a team in that situation that's also looking to contend? A bit trickier - maybe the Pistons (Jackson/Snell), Heat (Dragic/Johnson), Mavs (THJ/Lee), Wolves (Wiggins or Teague/Dieng) all match up okay. I'm not saying some of those guys aren't solid players, but just don't carry a lot of positive value.

Remember though Miami is under a hard cap so they have to get a bit closer than just those two guys.

Personally I can’t see Minny or Dallas being willing to tie up 2021 cap space just to chase a playoff berth but those work theoretically of course.
eminence
RealGM

Post#10 » by eminence » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:Remember though Miami is under a hard cap so they have to get a bit closer than just those two guys.

Personally I can’t see Minny or Dallas being willing to tie up 2021 cap space just to chase a playoff berth but those work theoretically of course.

I don't disagree that I'd be surprised by any one of them doing it, just that I'm taking the field here. Somebody is going to decide it's worth it and wind up with a really good player for not much value.
I bought a boat.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:17 pm

If the Lakers can get Paul/Lebron/AD big 3 (Paul/Lebron/AD/Kuzma big 4 in their eyes :lol: ) for Green and a bunch of floatsam I'm not sure they can resist
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:If the Lakers can get Paul/Lebron/AD big 3 (Paul/Lebron/AD/Kuzma big 4 in their eyes :lol: ) for Green and a bunch of floatsam I'm not sure they can resist

they'd have to throw in Green, KCP, Bradley and either McGee or Cousins to get it done

which is possible I guess, would give them a top 5 of:

Cousins
Davis
Kuzma
CP3
LeBron

and then whatever is leftover

OKC would probably do this just to get off the Cp3 contract
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#13 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 pm

My Knicks played a competitive game against the spurs last night, and took the lead late 3rd quarter only to give up a big run in the 4th. Mitchell Robinson missed the game with a sprained ankle, so hopefully he's back soon as I think the randle/mitch pairing will actually be the main bright spot for the knicks.

I finally have a feel for RJ Barrett's game, and if he plays to his strengths he's going to have a nice rookie year. While he isn't a truly elite athlete, he's very strong and has been aggressive taking it to the hole. Once he finds a seam, his footwork is very impressive to get a clean shot off at the rim. If he keeps doing that and doesn't settle for pull up jumpers (which seem inconsistent at best), I'll be happy. He's also known for his good demeanor and work ethic, and from what I've seen he's lived up to that rep. Nice to not have to worry about that right off the bat.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:41 pm

anyone else annoyed by the schedule these first 3 days?

Day 1 - 2 games
Day 2 - 11 games
Day 3 - 3 games

why don't they spread them out more?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:35 pm

clyde21 wrote:anyone else annoyed by the schedule these first 3 days?

Day 1 - 2 games
Day 2 - 11 games
Day 3 - 3 games

why don't they spread them out more?

They get more viewers this way. People want to see the Lakers, Clippers and weaker Warriors. On Day 2 everyone else could watch there "Home teams" while still watching basketball on days 1/3.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#16 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:43 am

Westbrook looks great tonight. His passing and energy are infectious.
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#17 » by Basileus777 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:14 am

I'm already excited watching Russ operate with a team that can space the court.

If he keeps pushing the ball like this, the Rockets are going to be so much more fun to watch.
eminence
RealGM

Post#18 » by eminence » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:54 am

Showing up for the 4th in Houston, let's see how it looks :)
I bought a boat.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#19 » by Colbinii » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:04 am

Unfortunate for the Suns.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
eminence
RealGM

Post#20 » by eminence » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:07 am

Korver looked pretty washed last season, bit worried if he's too high up in the Bucks rotation.
I bought a boat.

Return to Player Comparisons