OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Re: OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers) 

Post#1281 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:28 pm

BMatt07 wrote:Joker was terrible..

For all of the praise I had been hearing about the film, I was expecting so much more.

What a waste of 2 hours.

I mean, unless you were expecting the boom boom of a marvel movie I don’t get it.
Do it for Chuck
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#1282 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:08 pm

For all of the praise I had been hearing about the film, I was expecting so much more.

What a waste of 2 hours.

Sounds like you were expecting something different than what you watched. I'm curious, do you have any specific constructive feedback?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Post#1283 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:58 pm

Part 1 of the final season for Bojack Horseman dropped today. Only watched the first episode but it was excellent.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#1284 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:

What a waste of 2 hours.

Sounds like you were expecting something different than what you watched. I'm curious, do you have any specific constructive feedback?

I don't think you needed to expect a Marvel kind of experience to not like the movie. Plenty of critics loathed it too.

I didn't like it, but that was mostly out of not needing to see a sad, mentally ill guy resort to extreme violence when he's off his meds. Also the music was the absolute worst.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1285 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:21 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Part 1 of the final season for Bojack Horseman dropped today. Only watched the first episode but it was excellent.

Cant wait to binge this.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#1286 » by emunney » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:07 am

I hope none of you guys who feel slighted by people not liking Joker become the Joker because of it
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#1287 » by Iheartfootball » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:11 am

emunney wrote:I hope none of you guys who feel slighted by people not liking Joker become the Joker because of it

Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#1288 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:04 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

What a waste of 2 hours.

I don't think you needed to expect a Marvel kind of experience to not like the movie. Plenty of critics loathed it too.

I didn't like it, but that was mostly out of not needing to see a sad, mentally ill guy resort to extreme violence when he's off his meds. Also the music was the absolute worst.
Yeah, the music was jarring. When the Cream song came on, I couldn't stop my eyes from rolling. Its like they needed to satisfy a "Clapton Quota" to meet requirements of an authentic Scorese homage.

I thought the first trailer released for the movie was excellent. In retrospect, it gave away about two hours of the movie.

I probably would have liked it more if Joker believed in something other than society is too mean and if mental illness was not the rationale for all his behavior, but maybe that's a different story.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#1289 » by BMatt07 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:05 am

Iheartfootball wrote:

What a waste of 2 hours.

I had a few issues with the film overall.

I disliked the overall Taxi Driver-like feel of the movie. It didn't feel very original to me, it actually felt like a bit of a ripoff.

I also didn't think Joaquin Phoenix's acting performance was all that spectacular to be honest (I realize I'm in the minority here). I thought his physical transformation was far more impressive than any acting he did in the film. Overall, it seemed like a desperate performance with a sole purpose of hunting for an Oscar nomination. The plot was just slow, cringey, and dull.

When I picture the Joker, I picture a villain who is cunning, intelligent, and diabolical. This depressed and and mentally weak version of the character just didn't do much for me. I don't want to see a frail old man Joker dancing and prancing through Gotham.

Also, since when is Joker like 45 years older than Batman?
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#1290 » by Iheartfootball » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:43 pm

BMatt07 wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

What a waste of 2 hours.

I disliked the overall Taxi Driver-like feel of the movie. It didn't feel very original to me, it actually felt like a bit of a ripoff.

I also didn't think Joaquin Phoenix's acting performance was all that spectacular to be honest (I realize I'm in the minority here). I thought his physical transformation was far more impressive than any acting he did in the film. Overall, it seemed like a desperate performance with a sole purpose of hunting for an Oscar nomination. The plot was just slow, cringey, and dull.

When I picture the Joker, I picture a villain who is cunning, intelligent, and diabolical. This depressed and and mentally weak version of the character just didn't do much for me. I don't want to see a frail old man Joker dancing and prancing through Gotham.

I appreciate your criticism. Your review makes sense to me based on your expectations. I had spoken to many people about the film before I saw it and it exceeded my expectations. I was watching it purely through the lens of mental illness and how someone can develop into a pure sociopath. Or psychopath of you like. I feel like the major bone of contention for some folks is that that was not the film they wanted to see. Which I completely understand. If it were a standalone movie not tethered to an already existing universe I wonder if as many people would have seen it or if it would have elicited such a strong response.

Maybe it put a mirror up to where we are as a society and we don’t like what we see. The human experience can be ugly and violent and that’s not fun to watch.

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1291 » by Bucksfan28 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
I appreciate your criticism. Your review makes sense to me based on your expectations. I had spoken to many people about the film before I saw it and it exceeded my expectations. I was watching it purely through the lens of mental illness and how someone can develop into a pure sociopath. Or psychopath of you like. I feel like the major bone of contention for some folks is that that was not the film they wanted to see. Which I completely understand. If it were a standalone movie not tethered to an already existing universe I wonder if as many people would have seen it or if it would have elicited such a strong response.

Maybe it put a mirror up to where we are as a society and we don’t like what we see. The human experience can be ugly and violent and that’s not fun to watch.

Side question: Youve said youre doing graduate study currently, right? Is this related to that?
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#1292 » by Iheartfootball » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

Side question: Youve said youre doing graduate study currently, right? Is this related to that?

Yep, professional clinical counselor.
ClassicJack
Lead Assistant
And1: 965

Post#1293 » by ClassicJack » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:59 am

Dolemite Is My Name just made a splash on my rewatchable movie charts. Good to have Eddie back.
F*** Marc Davis, f*** Tim Donaghy and f*** David Stern as a staff, record label and as a mothaf**kin crew......and if you wanna be down with Stern then F*** YOU TOO!!! Stu Jackson f*** you too.....all you mothaf**kas F*** YOU TOO!!!!
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,764

Post#1294 » by Plossum » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:33 am

BMatt07 wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

What a waste of 2 hours.

Ha, I was wondering about the last point too. If we’re being really kind, the minimum age gap they portray between Joker and Batman is 20 year. So in TDK, Joker is in either his late forties or early 50s at a minimum.
#LockUpChuck
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#1295 » by Nightfall » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:34 pm

Since wife and kids were visit the motherland (Greece) and I had 2 weeks on my own before joining them last week, apart from a 2 day fishing trip with a good friend I managed to catch up on some series/movies on my queue.
So I might be late to join the party, but "The Boys" was awesome. Binge watched it in no time. Can't wait for season 2.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Post#1296 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:35 am

I am more excited to watch The Mandalorian than I am to watch The Rise of Skywalker.

Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#1297 » by Whiteman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Part 1 of the final season for Bojack Horseman dropped today. Only watched the first episode but it was excellent.

I'm four episodes in now, absolutely loving it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#1298 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:27 pm

Whiteman wrote:

I'm four episodes in now, absolutely loving it.

Episode 3 is incredible. I love that show.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1299 » by crkone » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Saw this on Reddit. Quality CGI here folks.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885