ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood (UPDATE: And A New Logo To Go With It)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Clippers Inglewood Arena Logo 

Post#241 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:33 pm

I'm digging the new Clippers Inglewood Arena logo.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Re: Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood 

Post#242 » by WC NBA Fan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Speaking of the arena, I've reported a few times that the trial regarding whether the site needs to be studied for affordable housing would be this month. I stand corrected. It's in November. Here's an article detailing the FAA's stance and what possible hurdles are still in Ballmer's way even though the FAA already ruled it can't be for affordable housing.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2019/09/06/inglewood-claims-faa-backs-its-stand-that-affordable-housing-isnt-allowed-on-proposed-clippers-site/
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#243 » by mkwest » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:28 am

WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#244 » by WC NBA Fan » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:02 pm

New article up on espn. No real news other than Ballmer telling Dolan that he won't back down

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27762952/clippers-owner-steve-ballmer-says-plans-new-arena-moving-msg-attempts-block
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#245 » by TheNewEra » Fri Oct 4, 2019 7:25 pm

That’s rough
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#246 » by WC NBA Fan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Strange article. While I'm obviously pro-Clipper arena, I don't think race has anything to do with this newest roadblock. This is merely a desperation attempt by Dolan to stop the project. According to Chris Meany, most of the "delay the EIR money" is coming from him.

On the good side, it's nice to see that the EIR is almost done. We've hardly heard a peep about it since it began nearly 2 years ago so now we know why it's taking so long. Dolan's money.

Also, I'd like to get some sort of update on the Inglewood transit connector. If that comes to fruition, you're talking much less emmissions. You would think that some sort of finality on that would make a difference on this clean air deal.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2019/10/15/legislators-say-clippers-arena-in-inglewood-is-at-risk-because-of-state-agencys-delays/
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#247 » by Yogatti » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:37 pm

They should really get that new arena going in Inglewood right now. Feels underwhelming seeing Kawhi getting booed in a Clippers home court.
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#248 » by WC NBA Fan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:45 pm

Yogatti wrote:They should really get that new arena going in Inglewood right now. Feels underwhelming seeing Kawhi getting booed in a Clippers home court.

Oh I agree. The only problem is that the Laker fans would make their way to the Inglewood arena as well.
theagent
General Manager
And1: 508

Post#249 » by theagent » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:50 am

Dolan's being a little bitch with that raggedy Forum loophole. That SoFi arena is going to be a huge revenue generator. Worst comes to worst.....move the team to San Diego, Anaheim...or just back to SEA. Only problem is Kawhi will not like it and that Key Arena remodel looks like its gonna suck
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#250 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:54 pm

theagent wrote:Dolan's being a little bitch with that raggedy Forum loophole. That SoFi arena is going to be a huge revenue generator. Worst comes to worst.....move the team to San Diego, Anaheim...or just back to SEA. Only problem is Kawhi will not like it and that Key Arena remodel looks like its gonna suck

Moving to Seattle is a non-starter in my opinion because of how much of a financial loss that would entail. I doubt Dolan can really stop Ballmer in the long run anyway
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,433

Post#251 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:51 am

theagent wrote:or just back to SEA. Only problem is Kawhi will not like it and that Key Arena remodel looks like its gonna suck

I guess a $Billion doesn't get very far these days, does it!? :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
theagent
General Manager
And1: 508

Post#252 » by theagent » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:14 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
theagent wrote:or just back to SEA. Only problem is Kawhi will not like it and that Key Arena remodel looks like its gonna suck

Just being honest and I'm scratching my head at why its gonna cost near 1 billion. The design looks so plain and modest...
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#253 » by WC NBA Fan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:23 pm

theagent wrote:Dolan's being a little bitch with that raggedy Forum loophole. That SoFi arena is going to be a huge revenue generator. Worst comes to worst.....move the team to San Diego, Anaheim...or just back to SEA. Only problem is Kawhi will not like it and that Key Arena remodel looks like its gonna suck

Dolan doesn't have anything in writing. At least according to the Vanity fair article that was linked in this thread. Being that he doesn't have anything in writing, there isn't much he can do to stop the project.

There's also the group who will have a hearing next month as to whether or not the site should be studied for affordable housing as opposed to an arena but even there, Ballmer is investing $100 million into affordable housing in Inglewood so that should satisfy the Judge at least. And if it doesn't satisfy the plaintiffs, then they are hypocrites because it isn't the site that should matter but rather or not affordable housing will be an option anywhere.

I've always been a fan of the Anaheim option since all the way back in 1993 when they built the place. The problem is that the majority of the fan base is against it so I took my foot off the pedal. This would also require Ballmer buying the Ducks in order to control the revenue at the arena and a far as I know, the Ducks aren't for sale. Ballmer isn't going to want to be no another lease. That's why he's leaving Staples in the first place.

There was an article that briefly mentioned other sites that he was thinking about prior to settling on Inglewood and that was the site of the Crenshaw/Baldwin Hills mall. I think that would be a great backup plan given that it's close to the freeway and has a subway stop right there for when the new Crenshaw/LAX line starts up next year.
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#254 » by WC NBA Fan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:37 pm

theagent wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Just being honest and I'm scratching my head at why its gonna cost near 1 billion. The design looks so plain and modest...

It is a very tricky retrofit. That have to dig really deep and then out in an area that is close to the water. This forces them to do things differently and apparently more expensively than the usual retrofit.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,433

Post#255 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:13 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:
theagent wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I guess a $Billion doesn't get very far these days, does it!? :wink:

It is a very tricky retrofit. That have to dig really deep and then out in an area that is close to the water. This forces them to do things differently and apparently more expensively than the usual retrofit.

They are keeping the roof (Raising) but building a completely new building. Digging down deeper (Bowl).

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#256 » by WC NBA Fan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:24 pm

Another new article is up.

Not sure what to make of it although I'm glad that Newsome wants to see it happen even if he claims that the EIR has hit an impasse.

This is also why I'm so pro public transportation. Opponents will look for anything to stop certain projects but with so many new rail lines being built in the LA area, automobile emmissions don't get to be an excuse not to build an arena anymore. Unfortunately, this arena is being built nowhere near any of the light rail stations.

I'll reiterate that the Inglewood transit connector needs to happen and is probably the difference between the arena getting certified or not. Just don't know why we haven't heard a peep since all the connector articles came out in the summer of 2018.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2019/10/23/clippers-air-resources-board-at-impasse-over-inglewood-arenas-future/
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#258 » by Forte IV » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:08 pm

I heard that Snoop "Laker fan for life" Dogg was at a Clippers Inglewood arena event yesterday
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#259 » by Clemenza » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 am

Forte IV wrote:I heard that Snoop "Laker fan for life" Dogg was at a Clippers Inglewood arena event yesterday

Clipper Snoop in the building
FactorZ99
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#260 » by FactorZ99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:
theagent wrote:

They are keeping the roof (Raising) but building a completely new building. Digging down deeper (Bowl).

This what the Hawks did with State Farm Arena
Mets fan since '94. Cowboys fan since '94. Jets fan since '95. Clips fan since '01. Islanders fan since '03

Return to Los Angeles Clippers