Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Why TF did we draft brunson? 

Post#161 » by Pinkyring » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:This thread didn't age well, lol.

It aged fine at the time we already had 2 pgs ahead of him on the depth chart and possibly resigning yogi, regardless we didnt need a third pg, he is a career backup.
It's pretty rare to find a starter in the 2nd round.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

True but he's a backup
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#162 » by Lowtech801 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:It aged fine at the time we already had 2 pgs ahead of him on the depth chart and possibly resigning yogi, regardless we didnt need a third pg, he is a career backup.
It's pretty rare to find a starter in the 2nd round.

True but he's a backup
I know he's a backup that was the reason why I made the comment. Looking back who would you have rather taken? Personally I have no desire to draft another Indian publicity stunt. And sure if we get to a point where we are flush with talent it makes sense to go for guys purely on potential. But right now we need to be looking for guys that can contribute right away.

Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#163 » by Pinkyring » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:It's pretty rare to find a starter in the 2nd round.

True but he's a backup
I know he's a backup that was the reason why I made the comment. Looking back who would you have rather taken? Personally I have no desire to draft another Indian publicity stunt. And sure if we get to a point where we are flush with talent it makes sense to go for guys purely on potential. But right now we need to be looking for guys that can contribute right away.

Mitchell Robinson and khyrie Thomas were the two i wanted and still want
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#164 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:True but he's a backup

Mitchell Robinson and khyrie Thomas were the two i wanted and still want

Yeah, I wanted Mitchell Robinson too, but Brunson is solid. He can spot-start for you too.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#165 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 am

Brunson reminds me of a Fred Van Vleet. Not really atheltic and undrafted even. Hope he gets to work on his defense as we go along. Could be a surprise starter for the team one day. Who knows.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#166 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am

arkuo wrote:Brunson reminds me of a Fred Van Vleet. Not really atheltic and undrafted even. Hope he gets to work on his defense as we go along. Could be a surprise starter for the team one day. Who knows.

The big difference is D. FVV is relentless and pretty darn good on D, Brunson on the other hand allows triple doubles to Delon Wright (twice) and an over the hill Goran Dragic
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#167 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:53 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
arkuo wrote:Brunson reminds me of a Fred Van Vleet. Not really atheltic and undrafted even. Hope he gets to work on his defense as we go along. Could be a surprise starter for the team one day. Who knows.

The big difference is D. FVV is relentless and pretty darn good on D, Brunson on the other hand allows triple doubles to Delon Wright (twice) and an over the hill Goran Dragic

Well Vanfleet is 3 years older than Brunson. Considering Brunson was a rookie I expect his defense will be better 3 years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#168 » by Darren » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:23 pm

After this playoff, I am really high on Van Vleet. Clutch as hell. Quick and explosive with first step. Much more consistent than Jet and Yogi. Isn't that type of player ideal pick-n-roll mate with Dirk (like Jet) and Zinger? Potentially, a starter in certain way. I'd rather have Van Vleet on 12/13M than someone like CP at 46M per. Hopefully, the Mavs keep enough cap space to make an offer next season. Zinger-Powell-Doncic-Elite shooter 1-Van Vleet could repeat the success of Dirk-Powell-McDermott-Yogi-Barea lineup in efficiency. The spacing could be too tough to defend with. Defense could be improved with more rhythm and stamina. For young players like that, defense will only improve as long as the attitude is right.

4 elite shooters with 1 elite rim runner including 2 penetrating option. All players are capable passer. That's the beauty of team ball.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#169 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Darren wrote:

After this playoff, I am really high on Van Vleet. Clutch as hell. Quick and explosive with first step. Much more consistent than Jet and Yogi. Isn't that type of player ideal pick-n-roll mate with Dirk (like Jet) and Zinger? Potentially, a starter in certain way. I'd rather have Van Vleet on 12/13M than someone like CP at 46M per. Hopefully, the Mavs keep enough cap space to make an offer next season. Zinger-Powell-Doncic-Elite shooter 1-Van Vleet could repeat the success of Dirk-Powell-McDermott-Yogi-Barea lineup in efficiency. The spacing could be too tough to defend with. Defense could be improved with more rhythm and stamina. For young players like that, defense will only improve as long as the attitude is right.

4 elite shooters with 1 elite rim runner including 2 penetrating option. All players are capable passer. That's the beauty of team ball.

JET > VanVleet, but it's hard to compare now since the game has changed so much. I would have loved to have seen a 25 year old JET in today's NBA.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#170 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:31 pm

daoneandonly wrote:

Delon Wright is underrated and Dragic made All-Star game last year. And it's not like the Mavs had other good defenders out there.

Brunson will be aite, but if the team has to include him in a trade package for an upgrade, then they shouldn't hesitate.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,600

Post#171 » by Dirk » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:27 pm

His poise. Never ceases to amaze.
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

60/21/10
Lawrey12
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#172 » by Lawrey12 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Well this thread looks silly now...
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,538

Post#173 » by jpengland » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Ah, classic Pinkyring.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#174 » by Pinkyring » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:39 am

Lawrey12 wrote:Well this thread looks silly now...

Actually it doesn't if you'd bother to read the op. Mitchell Robinson is who i wanted and who should have been the pick, a starting big is more valuable than a backup pg
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#175 » by bobsquad » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:09 am

Drafting for "need" is pointless in this league where the average rookie is like 19 and doesn't come in contributing to winning basketball. Selecting Mitchell Robinson to fill a "need" would have been ridiculous, he was viewed as one of the rawest prospects in the draft.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#176 » by Pinkyring » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:23 am

bobsquad wrote:Drafting for "need" is pointless in this league where the average rookie is like 19 and doesn't come in contributing to winning basketball. Selecting Mitchell Robinson to fill a "need" would have been ridiculous, he was viewed as one of the rawest prospects in the draft.

The upside was huge, Brunson is a backup point guard, you can get those every draft
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,538

Post#177 » by jpengland » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:58 am

Pinkyring wrote:
bobsquad wrote:Drafting for "need" is pointless in this league where the average rookie is like 19 and doesn't come in contributing to winning basketball. Selecting Mitchell Robinson to fill a "need" would have been ridiculous, he was viewed as one of the rawest prospects in the draft.

The upside was huge, Brunson is a backup point guard, you can get those every draft

Your average pick at 33 is out of the league very quickly.

To get a rotational player at 33 is a win every single time.
Lawrey12
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#178 » by Lawrey12 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:39 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Lawrey12 wrote:Well this thread looks silly now...

Actually it doesn't if you'd bother to read the op. Mitchell Robinson is who i wanted and who should have been the pick, a starting big is more valuable than a backup pg

I'm not so foolish as to cast aspersions upon a young man who looks like a quality player, but I'd like to point out he's a starting big who plays for the same team that we poached a different starting big named Kristaps Porzingis from so I think, (and yes, I know we are three games into the season) we've got the Knicks' measure overall.

If, Pinkyring, you're a big fan of the moves the Knicks have made in the last few years, I know they could use the support...
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#179 » by bobsquad » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:32 am

Save for the Dirk and Dennis Smith drafts, for the 2+ decades of Donnie Nelson the Mavs have been possibly the most conservatively drafting teams in the league. They pretty much exclusively look at guys with a proven college or overseas product -- there's no way a "developmental" big like Mitchell Robinson was even on their radar.

You can fault the team for a low-upside approach but, save for Huerter and Shamet, Brunson was by far the best guy taken outside the lottery who didn't carry that "developmental" label.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,600

Post#180 » by Dirk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:12 pm

bobsquad wrote:One play that stuck out: Seth freaking Curry passed up an open 3 to get Finney-Smith the look in the corner (he made it), which tells me the coaching staff is really pushing the analytics of shot selection. Someone had to have sat down with Seth and told him that even he shoots an open 3 from the left above the arc from 40%, a corner 3 from a worse shooter is still a better shot.

Put some respek in JB's name.

60/21/10

Return to Dallas Mavericks