ImageImage

Media Thread - Nehm with new podcast - page 11

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

tyland
Veteran
And1: 422

Re: Media Thread - Nehm with new podcast - page 11 

Post#241 » by tyland » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:35 am

Siefer wrote:I like Nehm, but Frank was always the core appeal of LoB, so he's on the wrong side of this split. Regardless of a potential content downgrade, a paywall on a podcast, even in part, feels like self-sabotage.

I like Nehm and Frank together. Sad to see that end. Like others, will continue to listen. Like Kane and I hope he succeeds.

About Eric's new podcast, it is not behind a paywall. I believe the Athletic are putting most of their podcasts out to the public, with no subscription required. However, they will have some exclusive episodes which are for subscribers only.

I'm an Athletic subscriber, but like using my normal podcast app. So this is a win for me.

Listened to the first episode of Hear the Deer. It was average. I don't mind Eric, so nice to still listen to his. His new co-host seems to know less about the league than most. His Bucks knowledge was a bit poor. I want to listen to experts, so this is a little disappointing. Will stick with it for a while and see how it goes.
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Twitter: @thetytimes
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#242 » by humanrefutation » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:16 pm

I listened to a couple episodes of LOB last year. I've been a fan of Frank's since he used to post here regularly, and while Nehm's twitter account is too prolific for me to keep following him, I think he's a good writer and his piece about Giannis post ECF was one of the best articles I've read about the Bucks in years. But truthfully, I thought the podcast was boring. It's not something I'd think to pay for.

As for Gery - I don't necessarily believe that **** coverage is better than no coverage. But Gery was essentially the only Bucks beat writer for years - the JS was negligent in how they approached it and no one else gave a ****. So he had value, even if you had to take what he reported with a grain of salt. But now that there are several guys covering the team with greater credibility, I don't see the value of hearing Gery's often inaccurate perspective.

But I hope the Bucks didn't pull his press pass because they disagreed with his coverage, because that's a no-no in my book.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#243 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:31 pm

humanrefutation wrote:But now that there are several guys covering the team with greater credibility, I don't see the value of hearing Gery's often inaccurate perspective.

Not one of the guys covering the team today is going to get on the air with Sparky and say "I just spoke with Andrew Bogut, he told me there is a 70% chance he's dealt by the trade deadline". The current guys know if they reported something like that, management would shut them out. So they wouldn't do it. That's the piece that our local guys are missing. And it's a big void.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#244 » by trwi7 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:36 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:But now that there are several guys covering the team with greater credibility, I don't see the value of hearing Gery's often inaccurate perspective.

Not one of the guys covering the team today is going to get on the air with Sparky and say "I just spoke with Andrew Bogut, he told me there is a 70% chance he's dealt by the trade deadline". The current guys know if they reported something like that, management would shut them out. So they wouldn't do it. That's the piece that our local guys are missing. And it's a big void.

I mean, that's basically "he may or may not be traded." I don't need to hear that either.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#245 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:09 am

trwi7 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

I mean, that's basically "he may or may not be traded." I don't need to hear that either.

Nah, that was a massive newsbreak. Up until that point no one thought “win now” Herb would ever part with Bogut. And with him being out for the season with a broken ankle, no one thought he had value. It started us down the Steph Curry weekend trade watch, and he then was dealt a couple days later at the deadline.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#246 » by humanrefutation » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:59 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

Nah, that was a massive newsbreak. Up until that point no one thought “win now” Herb would ever part with Bogut. And with him being out for the season with a broken ankle, no one thought he had value. It started us down the Steph Curry weekend trade watch, and he then was dealt a couple days later at the deadline.

I mean, isn't it telling that you're citing a scoop from 7 years ago?

These days, the national folks are getting all of these scoops. And unlike Woelfel, they aren't wrong a lot of the time.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,562

Post#247 » by chonestown » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:41 pm

If you're watching Deadspin disintegrate in real time and your response is "Hey,them equity skidmarks paid for it, they can run it how they want it," I'm afraid we can't be friends.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#248 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:44 pm

chonestown wrote:If you're watching Deadspin disintegrate in real time and your response is "Hey,them equity skidmarks paid for it, they can run it how they want it," I'm afraid we can't be friends.

The articles they're running today and the ones they're highlighting at the top of the home page are great. I'm gonna miss the site so much.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#249 » by humanrefutation » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:01 pm

What's the deal with Le Batard? When is he back from his honeymoon?

I stuck with the show (and HQ) for about two weeks and just gave up on it until he gets back. It's not as good without him there. There's no straight man to Stu or Billy's shenanigans.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#250 » by humanrefutation » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:06 pm

chonestown wrote:If you're watching Deadspin disintegrate in real time and your response is "Hey,them equity skidmarks paid for it, they can run it how they want it," I'm afraid we can't be friends.

Shutting down Splinter pissed me off, too. But it's one thing to eliminate a blog, it's another to try to make Deadspin precisely what is has NEVER been with a bull "stick to sports" mantra. And then, to delete their blog yesterday about the horrendous video autoplays on the site came off as ESPECIALLY petty.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#251 » by crkone » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:08 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

Shutting down Splinter pissed me off, too. But it's one thing to eliminate a blog, it's another to try to make Deadspin precisely what is has NEVER been with a bull "stick to sports" mantra. And then, to delete their blog yesterday about the horrendous video autoplays on the site came off as ESPECIALLY petty.

There's got to be something they can do to gradually get everyone out of there and to somewhere else. If people truly love the writers, the clicks will follow.

EDIT: The Athletic would be perfect for this.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#252 » by glenn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:16 pm

:reporter:
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#253 » by humanrefutation » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:18 pm

crkone wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

There's got to be something they can do to gradually get everyone out of there and to somewhere else. If people truly love the writers, the clicks will follow.

EDIT: The Athletic would be perfect for this.

Some writers will generate a following no matter where they go - Roth and Magary, for example. Diana Moskovitz is talented enough as an investigative legal journalist that she'd have no problems finding a gig. Laura Wagner would fit in a lot of places. I'm a gigantic fan of Samer Kalaf.

But the truth is, there are not a lot of sites out there that are tailored precisely to their unique voice and spin. That sort of combination of loving sports, not taking themselves too seriously, being unafraid to call out the bullsh** being spewed by people in power, and talking about topics other than sports. I'm not sure anywhere else comes close to offering that kind of platform for them.

If they set up their own site and charged people $5 a month to subscribe, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,920

Post#254 » by soxperry » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:21 pm

humanrefutation wrote:What's the deal with Le Batard? When is he back from his honeymoon?

I stuck with the show (and HQ) for about two weeks and just gave up on it until he gets back. It's not as good without him there. There's no straight man to Stu or Billy's shenanigans.

lol dude, there are soooo many podcasts out there that are in my opinion WAY better than Le Betard. Download spotify and just search for "NBA Podcasts" and you'll see like 8 come up. Do the same search for any kind of pocast and you'll have options.

sports radio seems to be limited to the same potato chip style segments.. not really much real analysis going on.. just a bunch of personalities flapping their gums.. of course, if you just want to be entertained, then i understand that..

I will say, boston homerism aside, I really enjoy Bill Simmons' podcast. He and Russillo talking NBA is absolutely wonderful.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#255 » by humanrefutation » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 pm

soxperry wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:What's the deal with Le Batard? When is he back from his honeymoon?

lol dude, there are soooo many podcasts out there that are in my opinion WAY better than Le Betard. Download spotify and just search for "NBA Podcasts" and you'll see like 8 come up. Do the same search for any kind of pocast and you'll have options.

sports radio seems to be limited to the same potato chip style segments.. not really much real analysis going on.. just a bunch of personalities flapping their gums.. of course, if you just want to be entertained, then i understand that..

I will say, boston homerism aside, I really enjoy Bill Simmons' podcast. He and Russillo talking NBA is absolutely wonderful.

You don't get the show, and I didn't ask for alternatives.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#256 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:44 pm

I think there's a distinguishing point on it. Is "stick to sports" supposed to be, "basically no political stuff" or is it none of the articles about dogs, candy bars, etc?

I don't know what the corporate overlords were forcing there, but that's the distinguishing point. And I know the point was brought up that everything technically does come back to politics, but I know I was kinda on an island of, "I agree with them 95% politically but I don't really care to read it on their site" but to me I'd hope Deadspin or some site can write stupid articles about favorite candy bars or stuff like that along with sports. I personally don't care to read about climate change from Deadspin.

And I will add that yes any **** corporate overlord takeover sucks. ESPN writers/voices have been given this "stick to sports" ultimatum and I'm just wondering if that means you can write about other stupid stuff that doesn't overtly start to get into a discussion about income inequality or socialized healthcare.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#257 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 pm

They said it's a personal matter and they hope he'll be back next week. Now would be the time for Mike Ryan to play the suit that he did several months ago that pissed people off to keep Billy and Stu in line.

Dan not only plays the straight man to keep them in line but he also keeps the show running smoothly. Stugotz can't do that. He needs to be the sidekick and Dan has to run the show for it to work.

I tried watching the full episodes last week and I made it through the first couple but it was a slog. After that I just fast forwarded through basically the whole thing and just stopped on segments I like. Kurkjian, Magill, Grid of Death etc.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#258 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:I think there's a distinguishing point on it. Is "stick to sports" supposed to be, "basically no political stuff" or is it none of the articles about dogs, candy bars, etc?

I don't know what the corporate overlords were forcing there, but that's the distinguishing point. And I know the point was brought up that everything technically does come back to politics, but I know I was kinda on an island of, "I agree with them 95% politically but I don't really care to read it on their site" but to me I'd hope Deadspin or some site can write stupid articles about favorite candy bars or stuff like that along with sports. I personally don't care to read about climate change from Deadspin.

And I will add that yes any **** corporate overlord takeover sucks. ESPN writers/voices have been given this "stick to sports" ultimatum and I'm just wondering if that means you can write about other stupid stuff that doesn't overtly start to get into a discussion about income inequality or socialized healthcare.

I wonder what is driving this change. The memo honestly didn't seem that bad. Surprised they didn't just launch a different site that you could post off topic blogs on. I kind of agree with the direction where I don't want to see deadspin pollute my facebook with candy bars ranked. But there is still a desire for that content as well.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#259 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:04 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:I think there's a distinguishing point on it. Is "stick to sports" supposed to be, "basically no political stuff" or is it none of the articles about dogs, candy bars, etc?

I wonder what is driving this change. The memo honestly didn't seem that bad. Surprised they didn't just launch a different site that you could post off topic blogs on. I kind of agree with the direction where I don't want to see deadspin pollute my facebook with candy bars ranked. But there is still a desire for that content as well.

I mean we're all segmented here because some like to read the political takes but I think that HR's description of "people that write about sports but don't care about it that much" was pretty good. I think that even for some that are on the left end of things it was just exhausting and delving into politics heavily kinda hurts, but I like the personalities, otherwise. I thought the candy bar stuff was fantastic and fun.

And I know their antithesis is Barstool and we've had this discussion, outside of Pardon My Take I either don't pay attention to or do not like Barstool...but that's a profitable (all that matters, right?) model, unfortunately with a bunch of warts and **** people.

Of course, Deadspin should've still been able to exist as is. I just like to write about how it getting so political exhausted me for some reason.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#260 » by humanrefutation » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:17 pm

trwi7 wrote:

They said it's a personal matter and they hope he'll be back next week. Now would be the time for Mike Ryan to play the suit that he did several months ago that pissed people off to keep Billy and Stu in line.

Dan not only plays the straight man to keep them in line but he also keeps the show running smoothly. Stugotz can't do that. He needs to be the sidekick and Dan has to run the show for it to work.

I tried watching the full episodes last week and I made it through the first couple but it was a slog. After that I just fast forwarded through basically the whole thing and just stopped on segments I like. Kurkjian, Magill, Grid of Death etc.

I agree; I think the show just doesn't get steered well without Dan. I think the Kurkjian segment is worse without Dan and the looks like game. I think Magill is worse without Dan. The GoD is worse without Dan. Greg is worse without Dan. I hope he gets back soon.

Mike Ryan is basically extremely hit or miss for me. The show was borderline unlistenable when he was playing "Michael Ryan," even as I recognized the bit. It was just too much. I like it when he's just another member of the shipping container and isn't overly running things. Also, he can be a bit too trigger happy on the Magic Crate of Content, but it's a tough job to know when to cut Dan off when he's talking about something controversial.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks