BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Re: The Washington Nationals Thread 

Post#481 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
GO NATS!!!
Howie & Asdrubal back in the line up together. Let’s get that old man mojo going again.
Finish the Fight!!
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#482 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:28 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wow horrible call on the play at first calling interference. Dave getting tossed had his players back. And Strasburg... Wow again.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#483 » by tontoz » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:39 am

Crap call didn't matter in the end. It would have been tough to swallow a loss with a call like that.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#484 » by Wizardspride » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:05 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#485 » by doclinkin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:34 am

Stras. Damn. Masterful. Efficient. They should’ve let him finish. Still... damn.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#486 » by queridiculo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 am

I have restrained from posting here for fear of jinxing them.

That didn't keep the Nats from dropping three straight at home, so screw it.

What are the chances we're going to see Strasburg make a game 7 appearance?

Go Nats!
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#487 » by zero2hero » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 am

queridiculo wrote:I have restrained from posting here for fear of jinxing them.

Go Nats!

Only chance if, God forbid, we see Scherz got less than 6 imo. I fully expect him to go a strong 7, maybe a stint from Rainey, and have Hud/Doolittle go the rest of the way. It all depends if our bats show up.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#488 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:42 am

doclinkin wrote:Stras. Damn. Masterful. Efficient. They should’ve let him finish. Still... damn.

Saving him so he can close game 7? Would that be some awesome awesomnetized awesomeness?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#489 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:45 am

queridiculo wrote:I have restrained from posting here for fear of jinxing them.

Go Nats!

Ya beat me to it. I think I might have to scratch an itch in my eye if that happens, and I'm not even a Nats fan, but the drama... man.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#490 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:09 pm

I have a hard time believing Stras could pitch tonight - even for a batter or two - after going 100+ high stress pitches last night.
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#491 » by Wizardspride » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:26 pm

doclinkin wrote:Stras. Damn. Masterful. Efficient. They should’ve let him finish. Still... damn.

Stras asked to come out.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#492 » by montestewart » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:46 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wow horrible call on the play at first calling interference.

The worst part to me was having to listen to those horrible announcers repeatedly call it a difficult rule to explain, then show that they the person who explained it to them had the most difficult job.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#493 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:35 pm

montestewart wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

The worst part to me was having to listen to those horrible announcers repeatedly call it a difficult rule to explain, then show that they the person who explained it to them had the most difficult job.

I’m a retired public school teacher. We used to say, “If you can’t explain it so a child can understand then you didn’t really know it yourself. Learn it before you teach it.”

I tune out the announcers when it becomes clear they don’t know. Lol :lol:

~ Confucius about 500 BC
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#494 » by montestewart » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:42 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
montestewart wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I’m a retired public school teacher. We used to say, “If you can’t explain it so a child can understand then you didn’t really know it yourself. Learn it before you teach it.”

It's funny because I think even casual fans of baseball would generally understand the rule, which seems pretty straightforward, whether they agree with the application or not. Those announcers could have used Buckhantz to fill up the non-action time.

I kept announcers on because I wasn't always watching screen and they would cue me to action, but man they are horrible.

PS: You teach in DMV area?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#495 » by queridiculo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:15 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I have a hard time believing Stras could pitch tonight - even for a batter or two - after going 100+ high stress pitches last night.

Not like he's got to save himself, plenty of time to rest after tonight.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#496 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:40 pm

queridiculo wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I have a hard time believing Stras could pitch tonight - even for a batter or two - after going 100+ high stress pitches last night.

Yeah, then put the new ring in a safe deposit box and go to the beach for a few months. This is what they play for.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#497 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:40 pm

queridiculo wrote:

I wish I were more well versed in the physiological questions here. I never was a pitcher, but my understanding is that your arm can be basically dead for a day or two after a high pitch count. So, what I don't know is if he could physically do it even if he wanted to.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#498 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:44 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

I wish I were more well versed in the physiological questions here. I never was a pitcher, but my understanding is that your arm can be basically dead for a day or two after a high pitch count. So, what I don't know is if he could physically do it even if he wanted to.

For 1 inning? I would think so - though everyone's different.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#499 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:04 pm

montestewart wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
montestewart wrote:The worst part to me was having to listen to those horrible announcers repeatedly call it a difficult rule to explain, then show that they the person who explained it to them had the most difficult job.

It's funny because I think even casual fans of baseball would generally understand the rule, which seems pretty straightforward, whether they agree with the application or not. Those announcers could have used Buckhantz to fill up the non-action time.

I kept announcers on because I wasn't always watching screen and they would cue me to action, but man they are horrible.

PS: You teach in DMV area?

I get it, I’ve made dinner in the kitchen before, while listening to a game on TV. I’ll glance at the TV if I hear something that sounds like excitement. :wink: And yeah the announcers did suck when I was listening to them.

———-
Yes I taught in Montgomery County, Maryland, Elementary, Middle School & High School. It was a lot of fun to be with students.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#500 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Ruzious wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

For 1 inning? I would think so - though everyone's different.

Strasburg was talking after the game to Harold Reynolds and Pedro Martinez. Reynolds asked Stras, “Any chance you pitch tomorrow?” Strasburg answers, “We’ll take that day by day.” And Martinez immediately shouts, “That means YES, that’s a YES!” :nod:

~ Confucius about 500 BC

Return to Washington Wizards