ImageImageImageImageImage

will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,632

Re: will kuzma be an all star for lakers or just a good role player? 

Post#81 » by nzahir » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:43 pm

NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Even if he didn’t improve his game at all over summer (he did), he’ll still be our third star. He scored 19PPG last season, showed good playmaking skills and improved defense toward end of last season.

Plugging him in next to LBJ and AD will only give him more cutting lanes and more wide open threes, which fits him perfectly.

There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s our third star, and I’ll be happy to wait for him to grow into it.

his scoring might even go down since lebron james and AD will probably carry that load (or lebron can be the facilitator for both AD and Kuz and Kuz's number go up) but as long he's efficient with the shot he gets, it'll make an impact. If he's able to shoot close to 50% and not 45% on fewer shots, its going to be big for them.

But if he can't shoot, he might be a liability in the playoffs.

We'll see. I am personally a fan of him even if I am critical of his game.

This, he needs to be able to hit 36%+ from 3 this season, create off dribble for himself and others s bit, and play at least avg overall defense (I think Vogel helps a lot, he has tools to be good).

He was very good at moving off ball last year, should keep that up

If he can’t, then we’re better of trying to swing him. Derrick white, garland, bogdan from kings, or trying to get jrue(unlikely and tough to do salary wise)
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,181

Post#82 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:54 pm

If you look at our shooters, guys like daniel, cook, green, supposedly kcp, ill give him some love after last night. Those are top load shooters. Where spacing means pulling out an opponents guard and sticking outside.
Not so with Kuz. Hes a 6'9 forward. Which means a big will have to unclog the lane and stay on the perimeter. He is valuable as a shooter yes, but a 6'9 forward means AD and Bron will have that much of a cleaner lane to drive into. I mean watch last nights game, AD was gettin hammered surrounded by 3 dudes.
I say keep him and work him into a comfortable spot wherever that be, and make plans to bring in Iggy.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,623

Post#83 » by dockingsched » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:59 am

Kilroy wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Kuz is back

Read on Twitter

I can see him rusty for a few games

So what's the deal with the Gleague assignment then? He goes there for the week and then comes back up Friday?

It seems like the 2 stories conflict.

I agree though, it's probably a good idea for him to get some burn in the g league first, because he's got to be a little rusty.

He was only reported to be practicing once with the g-league earlier today so he could get a practice in since the main team wasn’t practicing today. There was never a g-league assignment.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#84 » by Landsberger » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:19 am

Not keeping Kuzma this year isn't an option. Moving him would be dumb unless we can get back a guy who can get us 15-18 a game off the bench. The idea that his only value to the team is shooting at least 36% from 3 is ludicrous. Really? His value to the team is only as a 3 point shooter, not as a scorer who can spell Davis and/or Bron at the same time? Not as a young guy who can still grow his game into a top 5-8 at PF? Chuck him overboard for what?

One thing about him last year that is overlooked or ignored is that while he shot 30% from 3 he increased his overall FG% from the year before and scored more points per minute. He became more efficient inside the arc. He had a higher shooting % from 3-10 feet than either Davis or LeBron last year. The focus seems to be on his 3 point % last year and not the year before. It's like it didn't exist... when he shot 36%. He was bothered most of the second half last year with lower body nagging injuries which limited his ability to find any consistency from deep. Given health I think it will return. That said, 36% from 3 vs 55% inside the arc would lead any rational thinking person to say that maybe he takes too many 3's. It's not like he's Ryan Anderson or Rashard Lewis who were just floor spacers. He can score from a lot of places at a very efficient rate. 55% from non-3's last year is pretty darn good.

Floor Spacer: If he's playing off the bench who is he spacing the floor for? Dwight? This idea that he's just a guy to pull PF's out of the paint ignores that he's the primary bench scorer and that his time with Davis and Bron will be one or the other 90% of the time in all likelihood.

In the end I see him as a guy who, if needed, can get us 25-30 if needed fairly easily. Of all of our youngsters he showed the most as far as being a score in bunches kind of player. While that seems undervalued by many it's not a common trait in the NBA either. On a team with an injury prone Davis and an aging superstar having someone who could fill in carrying a heavy scoring load is a huge deal.... for $1.9M is a freaking bargain. 24 year old front court players who can get 18-20 with upside who are as versatile offensively just aren't available from 10 times that much. We're at the cap so trading him means we can't take back more than we send out.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#85 » by NippySudz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:15 am

nzahir wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Even if he didn’t improve his game at all over summer (he did), he’ll still be our third star. He scored 19PPG last season, showed good playmaking skills and improved defense toward end of last season.

Plugging him in next to LBJ and AD will only give him more cutting lanes and more wide open threes, which fits him perfectly.

There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s our third star, and I’ll be happy to wait for him to grow into it.

his scoring might even go down since lebron james and AD will probably carry that load (or lebron can be the facilitator for both AD and Kuz and Kuz's number go up) but as long he's efficient with the shot he gets, it'll make an impact. If he's able to shoot close to 50% and not 45% on fewer shots, its going to be big for them.

This, he needs to be able to hit 36%+ from 3 this season, create off dribble for himself and others s bit, and play at least avg overall defense (I think Vogel helps a lot, he has tools to be good).

If he can’t, then we’re better of trying to swing him. Derrick white, garland, bogdan from kings, or trying to get jrue(unlikely and tough to do salary wise)

Yeah, his salary makes it hard to swing because he's very good for what he makes. But I don't know if he's superstar/allstar good. People want to crown him already. I don't know why, but we have to see. I'm not a fan of moving him just because I think he's not an all star/superstar talent.

Not everyone is a kawhi leonard or giannis; late draft picks that weren't expected to be stars that turn out into future hof'ers
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#86 » by TylersLakers » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:45 am

We need Kuzma. Happy he's back.

However, lets say for example he comes back and around the trade deadline he's averaging..

14-16 PPG, 5-6 RPG, 2-3 APG, and shooting around 45% from the field and 34% from the 3PT line. His shot looks a little better from last year, but he's still around the same from a defensive/passing perspective. What trade packages would you try to look for?

A couple I like and have been thinking about:

Kuzma/KCP to Minnesota for Covington/Okogie
Kuzma/KCP/Rondo to Boston for Smart/Ojeleye/lottery protected 1st round pick (2021)

Any other packages out there that make sense?
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#87 » by TylersLakers » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:00 am

nzahir wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

That Kings deal definitely makes sense for both. Luke loves Kuzma and they can't pay Bogdanovic.

Kuzma/McGee/KCP/Rondo for Joseph/Bogdanovic/Swanigan/2021 1st (Top 10 Protected)

Would open up space for a buy-out candidate (Iguodala):

PG: Bradley/Joseph/Caruso/Cook
SG: Green/Bogdanovic/
SF: LeBron/Iguodala/Daniels
PF: Davis/Dudley/Swanigan
C: Howard/McGee/Cousins

9 man rotation in the playoffs of Bradley/Green/LBJ/Davis/Howard with Iggy/Bogdanovic/Joseph/McGee off the bench. Crunch time line-up of Iggy/Bogdanovic/Green/LeBron/AD.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#88 » by Landsberger » Fri Nov 1, 2019 10:37 pm

TylersLakers wrote:We need Kuzma. Happy he's back.

However, lets say for example he comes back and around the trade deadline he's averaging..

14-16 PPG, 5-6 RPG, 2-3 APG, and shooting around 45% from the field and 34% from the 3PT line. His shot looks a little better from last year, but he's still around the same from a defensive/passing perspective. What trade packages would you try to look for?

Kuzma/KCP/Rondo to Boston for Smart/Ojeleye/lottery protected 1st round pick (2021)

How are you trading KCP? He has a NTC.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by NippySudz » Sat Nov 2, 2019 2:27 am

Landsberger wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:We need Kuzma. Happy he's back.

How are you trading KCP? He has a NTC.
So does rondo apparently. I read somewhere they both retained their bird rights so they have defacto NTC

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by NippySudz » Sat Nov 2, 2019 12:38 pm

Kuzma was rusty last night but that's to be expected coming off a long lay off

Last night game was incredible. Really enjoyable game. I favor the clippers to come out the west but man the Lakers looked unstoppable.

Kuzma might be that key to unlock super Saiyan mode. Laker fans can hope.

Landsberger
General Manager

Post#91 » by Landsberger » Sat Nov 2, 2019 2:30 pm

He wasn’t moving freely or trusting the ankle. He was all over the place with his jumper. I think it’s going to be a slower process getting him all the way back. It was also obvious he’s not played with these guys. He did settle in and got rewarded for a couple nice off ball cuts to the hoop. He even held up ok guarding Portzingis in the post.

Now let’s get Rondo back.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by NippySudz » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:31 pm

Landsberger wrote:He wasn’t moving freely or trusting the ankle. He was all over the place with his jumper. I think it’s going to be a slower process getting him all the way back. It was also obvious he’s not played with these guys. He did settle in and got rewarded for a couple nice off ball cuts to the hoop. He even held up ok guarding Portzingis in the post.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? I'm not trying to troll or anything. Yes, he struggled and that's to be expected, but I don't see anything in his skillset to show that this guy is a budding superstar? If you had to ask, who would I rather have, ingram or Kuzma, ingram all day. Its just he had a blood clot and kuzma is cheap, so that's the reason why kuzma makes sense, but ingram is level headed and seems just focus on basketball and not the nightlife of LA. On some nights, Ingram looks like a Poor Man's Kevin Durant, using his length and draining tough shots. Plus he's younger.

They're going to need his production. I'd say give kuzma a good month. If kuzma is not producing, I am hoping laker fans do not give him a pass.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#93 » by Landsberger » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:42 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:He wasn’t moving freely or trusting the ankle. He was all over the place with his jumper. I think it’s going to be a slower process getting him all the way back. It was also obvious he’s not played with these guys. He did settle in and got rewarded for a couple nice off ball cuts to the hoop. He even held up ok guarding Portzingis in the post.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? I'm not trying to troll or anything. Yes, he struggled and that's to be expected, but I don't see anything in his skillset to show that this guy is a budding superstar? If you had to ask, who would I rather have, ingram or Kuzma, ingram all day. Its just he had a blood clot and kuzma is cheap, so that's the reason why kuzma makes sense, but ingram is level headed and seems just focus on basketball and not the nightlife of LA.

They're going to need his production. I'd say give kuzma a good month. If kuzma is not producing, I am hoping laker fans do not give him a pass.

Who's said he's a budding superstar. Now, keep in mind, that currently I'd put about 4 guys in that "slot". I for sure didn't, however the "giving him a pass" comment is interesting with him. I've seen just the opposite here. When he was producing at a higher level than some of our top 5 picks it seemed like there was an effort to do just the opposite in hopes that he was traded over someone's favorite top pick who was being projected as a future superstar or whatever. All the "beasts", "insane length" and "best PG ever's" are gone and he's still here. Some still seem more interested in his deficiencies than what he can bring to THIS team TODAY and still project future superstardom for whomever.

To me, Kuzma could be a great 3rd wheel. A guy who can get you 35 if needed or only 9 or 10. He doesn't seem interested in being a focus of the game while having a very good skill set for a PF in today's game. At his cost and on this team he's found gold IMHO. Next year or the years after who knows and right now I don't really care. Right now, today, he's a guy who can score from inside, outside, who moves very well without the ball and can take his man off the dribble. He's a decent play maker as well. Defensively he's a work in progress but when engaged he's not nearly as horrible as he's made out to be. At $1.9 M in today's NBA that a unicorn. Can't we all just accept that reality and focus on other areas where we need improvement... like initiation of the offense?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by NippySudz » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:44 pm

Landsberger wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? I'm not trying to troll or anything. Yes, he struggled and that's to be expected, but I don't see anything in his skillset to show that this guy is a budding superstar? If you had to ask, who would I rather have, ingram or Kuzma, ingram all day. Its just he had a blood clot and kuzma is cheap, so that's the reason why kuzma makes sense, but ingram is level headed and seems just focus on basketball and not the nightlife of LA.

Who's said he's a budding superstar. Now, keep in mind, that currently I'd put about 4 guys in that "slot". I for sure didn't, however the "giving him a pass" comment is interesting with him. I've seen just the opposite here. When he was producing at a higher level than some of our top 5 picks it seemed like there was an effort to do just the opposite in hopes that he was traded over someone's favorite top pick who was being projected as a future superstar or whatever. All the "beasts", "insane length" and "best PG ever's" are gone and he's still here. Some still seem more interested in his deficiencies than what he can bring to THIS team TODAY and still project future superstardom for whomever.

To me, Kuzma could be a great 3rd wheel. A guy who can get you 35 if needed or only 9 or 10. He doesn't seem interested in being a focus of the game while having a very good skill set for a PF in today's game. At his cost and on this team he's found gold IMHO. Next year or the years after who knows and right now I don't really care. Right now, today, he's a guy who can score from inside, outside, who moves very well without the ball and can take his man off the dribble. He's a decent play maker as well. Defensively he's a work in progress but when engaged he's not nearly as horrible as he's made out to be. At $1.9 M in today's NBA that a unicorn. Can't we all just accept that reality and focus on other areas where we need improvement... like initiation of the offense?

a few people around the internet think he's a budding superstar and in this thread specifically think he's all star talent. I think a few people are focused on his deficiencies because Kuzma has fans that really big him up to no fault of his own. They talk about his work ethic as if its Kobe bryant type of mechanical work ethic.

but I agree with you, he's great for his value. at 1.9M you cannot go wrong.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,623

Post#95 » by dockingsched » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:47 pm

Looked like he shouldn’t even be out there. Needs way more practices under his belt to get his movement/conditioning/timing where it needs to be
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by NippySudz » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:49 pm

dockingsched wrote:

Looked like he shouldn’t even be out there. Needs way more practices under his belt to get his movement/conditioning/timing where it needs to be

that's what I think the issue is. He just has to get use to the burn again and I think its mental. I like the move to play him. Remember, he's on a minute restriction. Its not like he got thrust into hellfire and was forced to play 38mins. Getting real in game reps are great for him.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#97 » by Landsberger » Sat Nov 2, 2019 5:10 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

a few people around the internet think he's a budding superstar and in this thread specifically think he's all star talent. I think a few people are focused on his deficiencies because Kuzma has fans that really big him up to no fault of his own. They talk about his work ethic as if its Kobe bryant type of mechanical work ethic.

I would say that 99% of the true superstars were evident in their first year. That's why I have always felt it would be best for us to trade our top 5 picks in hopes we could get the superstars that were already established. None of them look that way to me. Now that's not to say that they won't have long and productive careers and/or All Star appearances but just that none of them are the leader of a true championship team.

Kuzma's ceiling is a PF versos of Lou Williams IMHO. He can do a lot of things that push a team over the top but he's not THE GUY. He's arguably on of the top 5-7 picks of his draft class in terms of performance. I'd say only Mitchell has separated from that group. That's a valuable player. Is he the "third star" whatever that means? We'll find out by February.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by NippySudz » Sat Nov 2, 2019 5:14 pm

Landsberger wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

I would say that 99% of the true superstars were evident in their first year. That's why I have always felt it would be best for us to trade our top 5 picks in hopes we could get the superstars that were already established. None of them look that way to me. Now that's not to say that they won't have long and productive careers and/or All Star appearances but just that none of them are the leader of a true championship team.

Kuzma's ceiling is a PF versos of Lou Williams IMHO. He can do a lot of things that push a team over the top but he's not THE GUY. He's arguably on of the top 5-7 picks of his draft class in terms of performance. I'd say only Mitchell has separated from that group. That's a valuable player. Is he the "third star" whatever that means? We'll find out by February.
I see more Jr Smith than kuzma. A guy that can be red hot one night espexially from 3 but then egress to the norm
a.atrealy shooter nut not really someone in contention to be an all star.

I'm loving the battle of LA so far. I know it's media narrative but I really want to see that match up

bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#99 » by bb22 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 11:40 pm

I think shooting is something that can rarely ever be taught when someone is already playing professional ball. There have been some success stories, but it’s rare. These instagram shooting coaches are a joke, and only good for posting fancy pictures. Going through a bunch of shooting drills in that environment does not replicate to a real game, and is not much of a conditioning session either. Kuz, for example, would have been better off spending the summer hitting the gym and working on his strength and quickness in order to improve his D and ability to score with contact.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by NippySudz » Tue Nov 5, 2019 11:43 pm

bb22 wrote:I think shooting is something that can rarely ever be taught when someone is already playing professional ball. There have been some success stories, but it’s rare. These instagram shooting coaches are a joke, and only good for posting fancy pictures. Going through a bunch of shooting drills in that environment does not replicate to a real game, and is not much of a conditioning session either. Kuz, for example, would have been better off spending the summer hitting the gym and working on his strength and quickness in order to improve his D and ability to score with contact.
I remember coach Thorpe who develops players said something along the same thing. You either have shooting oryou don't. It can be improved but not by a large significance.

I have the same belief about defense. If you're a crappy defender, you might improve to be ok, or even solid but you won't turn into an elite defender. These are fundamentals you have be taught as a child so it's going to be hard for a grown player to abandon bad habits.

Very few people can do it. Not everyone turns into a scorer like a kawhi Leonard.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers