ImageImageImage

Tacko Fall Signed to Two-Way (10-13-19)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Re: Tacko Fall Signed to Two-Way (10-13-19) 

Post#621 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:37 am

Waters isn't going anywhere. Wanamaker will be waived before Waters.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#622 » by Triple7 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:50 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:15th man: Green
2-ways: Tacko and Strus
Cut: Waters?

I’d cut Waters as well. He has no place here with Kemba, Carsen and Smart playing point. He may be of use for some other team.

Offensively, Edwards is an SG. E.g., he had half as many assists per game as Waters last season, in more minutes. Waters, by way of comparison, is a prototypical modern scoring PG in everything except height.

That’s exactly it! We already have the smallest starting and backup pg in the league with kemba and carsen, and Carsen is more of a scoring pg, like most pg’s these days. Waters would have a good chance on being decent with another team.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#623 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:46 am

Triple7 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
I’d cut Waters as well. He has no place here with Kemba, Carsen and Smart playing point. He may be of use for some other team.

Offensively, Edwards is an SG. E.g., he had half as many assists per game as Waters last season, in more minutes. Waters, by way of comparison, is a prototypical modern scoring PG in everything except height.

That’s exactly it! We already have the smallest starting and backup pg in the league with kemba and carsen, and Carsen is more of a scoring pg, like most pg’s these days. Waters would have a good chance on being decent with another team.

I don't see the need to cut a rookie on a two-way just because he's too low on the depth chart to play.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#624 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Post#625 » by chakdaddy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:11 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Makes sense. Strus and Green are in near identical situations right now. But neither will last the year, it's because they're expendable that one will get the spot. As opposed to Fall who will be kept (and could eventually replace Green/Strus if no vet is added.)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#626 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:48 am

I didn't realize Tacko's first name was Elhadji. That's about as Muslim as being named "Mohammed". (The one time I seriously touristed in an Islamic country I was told that "hadji" -- somebody who's been on the hajj -- is a title or distinction of considerable respect.) Of course, we already knew he was a Muslim, but that just illustrates the point.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#627 » by cloverleaf » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 am

Triple7 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Not really. Carsen is well suited to defend PGs, just as his backcourt mate Smart is well suited to defend SGs. They naturally swap or share offensive duties, but complement each other. Yeah, Kemba is a liability on D and Waters is undersized but pesky. But Waters is on a two-way this year anyway and by the time he fully comes into his own, Kemba will be winding down his contract here.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#628 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:25 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Not really. Carsen is well suited to defend PGs, just as his backcourt mate Smart is well suited to defend SGs. They naturally swap or share offensive duties, but complement each other. Yeah, Kemba is a liability on D and Waters is undersized but pesky. But Waters is on a two-way this year anyway and by the time he fully comes into his own, Kemba will be winding down his contract here.

Right. When everybody relevant is healthy, the minutes Edwards is competing for this season are the ones when Kemba sits. Presumably Smart will play for all of those.

And when everybody relevant is healthy, Waters his little shot this season at getting minutes at all. Two-way guys aren't likely to get run with the main club except in injury or rest kinds of scenarios.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,851

Post#629 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:23 am

Moment immortalized. Send photo to the Basketball HOF in Springfield.

Read on Twitter
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#630 » by Joshyjess » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:38 am

If people can't cheer for this kid, they need to stop watching basketball. He is just so much stinking fun to watch. Never has garbage time been as much fun as it is now.
Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,615

Post#631 » by Vampirate » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:38 pm

Joshyjess wrote:If people can't cheer for this kid, they need to stop watching basketball. He is just so much stinking fun to watch. Never has garbage time been as much fun as it is now.

Watching some highlights, everyone looks like a teenager when this guy is out on the court. :lol:
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#632 » by Jaqua92 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:02 pm

"When they rush to greet him, pushing and jostling for a better view, they don't know (or care) that he's an inquisitive intellect with an engineering degree who scored so high on his SATs (taken in English, his second language) that he met the qualifications for Ivy League schools. They don't stop to consider his humanitarian efforts in his native country, his fervent wish to make this basketball thing work so he can establish his own foundation to help his people."

- Jackie MacMullan

Wow. Tacko seems like someone who is ACTUALLY smart and an actually intellectual who doesn't need to shove it in our faces like Jaylen or Kyrie. The wiseman says nothing of his wisdom.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#633 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 pm

Here's a link to the entire McMullan article. It's worth reading.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27933993/center-attention-where-tacko-fall-stands-basketball
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#634 » by sam_I_am » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:04 am

Jaqua92 wrote:"When they rush to greet him, pushing and jostling for a better view, they don't know (or care) that he's an inquisitive intellect with an engineering degree who scored so high on his SATs (taken in English, his second language) that he met the qualifications for Ivy League schools. They don't stop to consider his humanitarian efforts in his native country, his fervent wish to make this basketball thing work so he can establish his own foundation to help his people."

- Jackie MacMullan

Wow. Tacko seems like someone who is ACTUALLY smart and an actually intellectual who doesn't need to shove it in our faces like Jaylen or Kyrie. The wiseman says nothing of his wisdom.

He’s wrong. We do appreciate that about him. This is Boston man...we love nerds! He’s no Tom Brady on the basketball court. If he wasn’t such a special personality and intellect, I don’t think anybody would care.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#635 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 pm

Tacko's Twitter page is interesting. The main picture is Japanese anime. His avatar looks a lot like Muhammad Ali. His bio is a short phrase in French that many will be able to translate. And the principal given name he uses is Arab.

He doesn't actually tweet very much, but that's where I saw the story of Grant's Thanksgiving gifts to the staff.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#636 » by cloverleaf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:51 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:"When they rush to greet him, pushing and jostling for a better view, they don't know (or care) that he's an inquisitive intellect with an engineering degree who scored so high on his SATs (taken in English, his second language) that he met the qualifications for Ivy League schools. They don't stop to consider his humanitarian efforts in his native country, his fervent wish to make this basketball thing work so he can establish his own foundation to help his people."

- Jackie MacMullan

He’s wrong. We do appreciate that about him. This is Boston man...we love nerds! He’s no Tom Brady on the basketball court. If he wasn’t such a special personality and intellect, I don’t think anybody would care.

As far as I know Jackie still identifies as a she.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#637 » by cloverleaf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Makes sense. Strus and Green are in near identical situations right now. But neither will last the year, it's because they're expendable that one will get the spot. As opposed to Fall who will be kept (and could eventually replace Green/Strus if no vet is added.)

We'll see Strus when the Claws play the G-League Bulls on Friday. So far he's been decent, but no Waters or Fall:

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629622/
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#638 » by 31to6 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 pm

I’m curious what we do with Tacko this offseason, but it is possible we’ve seen the last of Tacko in Boston.

7’5” 315lbs age 25
Last season: 7 games in the NBA, lots in Maine
This season: we played him in 18 out of 72 games, average of 6.5 minutes each.
For some, that counts as his shot, and I understand if they’re ready to move on.
For me, I hope the experiment continues. He hasn’t shone in his chances down the stretch the last week or so, but he gets teammates wide open on screens. Has a DRB% of 30 and a block% of 13. TS of 67% is below his FG% of 74 because he shoots (if one can call it that) 30% from the line. But fair-to-good overall impact stats: .17 WS/48, BMP 0.9, VORP 0.1.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fallta01.html

I’ll hold out some hope (since the Cs have to sell tickets and play Embiid), but if this was it, fly true, sweet Tacko.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#639 » by Bleeding Green » Sun May 16, 2021 9:54 pm

They can't keep wasting a two-way on a gimmick. This team needs to find a rotation player with one of these two-ways, they keep losing talent at the fringes for no reason. I seriously don't get the upside with this guy, what role do people envision Tacko Fall playing if he reaches his potential (whatever that may be)? Could he ever be more than an 8 mpg regular season 3rd/4th big that you play against very specific matchups? Even if he excels in that role, it's not a valuable role at all.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#640 » by JHTruth » Sun May 16, 2021 10:15 pm

I've always found the Tacko thing an embarrassment to the team and to Tacko. Now I'm not sure he minds that much as Tackomania is the reason he gets to pretend he's an NBA player and fly around with the team and live the NBA livestyle but man, what a circus. It's like he should have his own walk-out music when he enters the game. I imagine it is what the old freak shows were like back in the day. I mean we get it he's really really tall. Soo cringe when everyone cheers when he comes on.

At least guys like Sean Bradley could play a little. Tacko is basically a statue in the paint. It can be somewhat effective for a minute or two but he can't move so guys quickly figure it out.

I really hope the team is able to move on. I doubt it though. It's about the only thing the fans feel good about right now

Return to Boston Celtics