ImageImageImage

The Newer-est Video Game Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Re: The Newer-est Video Game Thread 

Post#61 » by packforfreedom » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm still staying strong on boycotting NBA2K20 this year.

I'll give Outer Worlds a look, but the reviews are not great. In a couple of weeks, Hideo Kojima's new game Death Stranding is coming and this is a definite must buy for me.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,745

Post#62 » by UcanUwill » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:03 pm

packforfreedom wrote:I'm still staying strong on boycotting NBA2K20 this year.

I'll give Outer Worlds a look, but the reviews are not great. In a couple of weeks, Hideo Kojima's new game Death Stranding is coming and this is a definite must buy for me.

Very good first impression on Outer worlds, I dont know what reviews are you seeing, everyone I follow seem to recommend that game. Graphics are lacking, textures are gross, on par with Fallout, but unlike fallout, its very colorful so it looks better. Its a bit too much colorful actually, armors and stuff just look too funky for my taste, and all those plasma effects from guns just doesnt look great at all, its like a particles vomiting on your screen. When you compare it to Horizon or Death stranding or Red dead, it looks last gen, not on par with those games graphically at all.

But everything else is honestly very good. I hate Bethesda RPG's those usually have piss poor carboard cutout characters, but in this on its complete opposite, characters are great, Obsidion at its best. Companions are very helpful in combat, and everything just reminds me of Mass effect. Its like Mass effect mixed with Fall out.

Very well written, from very early on you get to make decisions that impact the world, and at first it looks like an easy choice, but NPCs make it hard, when both sides explain their point of view, you understand why and how this world works, and why people feel like they feel, its a rich world, and not in a sence that its just lots of lore Skyrim style, no, it actually feels real, almost like Mass effect. The whole corporation angle, its like capitalism and communism took the worst aspect out it itself and created Outer world universe, Its brutal, but fun.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,317

Post#63 » by Calinks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Looks like there is a chance that NCAA football and basketball games could come back. NCAA is letting players get compensated for using their likenesses with some caveats.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#64 » by Calinks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:29 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Very good first impression on Outer worlds, I dont know what reviews are you seeing, everyone I follow seem to recommend that game. Graphics are lacking, textures are gross, on par with Fallout, but unlike fallout, its very colorful so it looks better. Its a bit too much colorful actually, armors and stuff just look too funky for my taste, and all those plasma effects from guns just doesnt look great at all, its like a particles vomiting on your screen. When you compare it to Horizon or Death stranding or Red dead, it looks last gen, not on par with those games graphically at all.

But everything else is honestly very good. I hate Bethesda RPG's those usually have piss poor carboard cutout characters, but in this on its complete opposite, characters are great, Obsidion at its best. Companions are very helpful in combat, and everything just reminds me of Mass effect. Its like Mass effect mixed with Fall out.

Very well written, from very early on you get to make decisions that impact the world, and at first it looks like an easy choice, but NPCs make it hard, when both sides explain their point of view, you understand why and how this world works, and why people feel like they feel, its a rich world, and not in a sence that its just lots of lore Skyrim style, no, it actually feels real, almost like Mass effect. The whole corporation angle, its like capitalism and communism took the worst aspect out it itself and created Outer world universe, Its brutal, but fun.

Great little review. I agree though I appreciate the graphics a bit more. I do think it looks like a last gen game in many respects. Just seems like a beefed up New Vegas engine, I still think its quite beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. Haven't seen the plasma guns in action yet though.

Also this game is pretty much a AA budget game. Maybe now that Obsidian is owned by Microsoft we can see what they can do with this series on a AAA budget. That said it still holds up well compared to any AAA game.
packforfreedom
Analyst

Post#65 » by packforfreedom » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:17 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

thx. Now I'm definitley going to give it a try.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#66 » by King Malta » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:55 am

packforfreedom wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

thx. Now I'm definitley going to give it a try.

Another person here who's really enjoying Outer Worlds.

I actually don't mind the graphical style, it's obviously not as smooth and striking as most new gen games, but it's got a certain charm to it, much like the Borderlands series IMO. It feels different, not like your cookie cutter, sleek looking FPS RPG's that flood the market nowadays.

I'm only 8-10 hours in but I echo the sentiments regarding characters and choices so far. If you're looking for a comparison, I'd say there's definitely a "New Vegas in Space" feel to it.

As far as 2k20, I'm definitely boycotting too. The Wolverine Studio's Basketball Sim I posted about on a previous page is finally out, so as soon as someone puts together an NBA Mod for that I'm just going to get my Bball fix from there.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#67 » by shangrila » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:12 am

I'd be wary about diving into Death Stranding early.

From what I've seen it's got a lot of interesting ideas that might not translate to actually interesting gameplay. If there were any game I'd wait a little to see reviews and gameplay from, it's this one.
SCTwins
Rookie
And1: 884

Post#68 » by SCTwins » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:25 am

For those who are playing Outer Worlds, does anyone else find it brutally difficult?

I only got about an hour into it the other day, but I was getting slaughtered by everything. I got some girl walking around with me eventually, which definitely helps, but I feel like I have to headshot enemies about 25 times even though I started the game with my gun stats at 30. It might just be that I haven't spent enough time with it, but I'm usually pretty good at FPS games like this.

I was getting frustrated because it would take me forever to get rid of an enemy, and just when I thought it was safe, like 4 more guys would come running around a corner and kill me within seconds. Lol
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#69 » by King Malta » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 am

SCTwins wrote:For those who are playing Outer Worlds, does anyone else find it brutally difficult?

I only got about an hour into it the other day, but I was getting slaughtered by everything. I got some girl walking around with me eventually, which definitely helps, but I feel like I have to headshot enemies about 25 times even though I started the game with my gun stats at 30. It might just be that I haven't spent enough time with it, but I'm usually pretty good at FPS games like this.

I was getting frustrated because it would take me forever to get rid of an enemy, and just when I thought it was safe, like 4 more guys would come running around a corner and kill me within seconds. Lol

First half hour or so I found challenging without being impossible (there were some high level/tougher enemies that I stumbled accross) but after a couple levels up I was fine, and I really short changed my combat stats for dialogue/sneak.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#70 » by Calinks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:52 pm

SCTwins wrote:For those who are playing Outer Worlds, does anyone else find it brutally difficult?

I'm playing it on hard and I wouldn't say it's very difficult.

At the start of the game, some enemies are higher level than you, they will be harder. Different parts of the mnap have different level enemies.

You first couple of weapons are probably crap. That pistol is weak as hell. Ran around the map last night and let me tell you, there are some really strong weapons the devs put out there that you can get right away, just got to look for them. Some of them may be surrounded by tough enemies though.

I'm using a melee character so it's even harder, (I do still use guns too) but once you level up a bit and find some solid weapons, things open up fast. It might even get too easy.
SCTwins
Rookie
And1: 884

Post#71 » by SCTwins » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:00 pm

Calinks wrote:

I'm playing it on hard and I wouldn't say it's very difficult.

At the start of the game, some enemies are higher level than you, they will be harder. Different parts of the mnap have different level enemies.

You first couple of weapons are probably crap. That pistol is weak as hell. Ran around the map last night and let me tell you, there are some really strong weapons the devs put out there that you can get right away, just got to look for them. Some of them may be surrounded by tough enemies though.

I'm using a melee character so it's even harder, (I do still use guns too) but once you level up a bit and find some solid weapons, things open up fast. It might even get too easy.

Yeah it was that crappy pistol. I figured since my handguns skill was pretty high, it wouldn't be that weak. I found a couple assault rifles and starting mowing enemies down.

I thought I was losing it man. I swear, I would shoot enemies in the face 15 times and they'd at about 50% health still.

On a side note, the colors on this game are gorgeous. Overall the graphics are little 'eh', but that's not something I care about too much.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#72 » by UcanUwill » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:28 pm

I also play it on hard, but I do not find it very hard at all, tho ennemies are bullet sponges. It gets much easier I would say when you find a bit better armor, its not a hard game whatsoever. Recently played Horizon zero dawn and Uncharted on highest difficulties, and those games are brutal.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#73 » by UcanUwill » Mon Nov 4, 2019 10:30 am

looks like I spoke too soon on Outer worlds being not that hard. Just landed on this damn planet, lizards spit acid and kills you in one hit, bugs light you on fire, and my guns are so terrible I barely do any damage. So far survived just outrunning every damn hostile thing, but man, wasnt prepare for this at all.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#74 » by UcanUwill » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:46 am

JIm Sterling didnt like Death Stranding, I feel like I would feel the same exact way about the game, it just looks boring, anyone tried it already?

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#75 » by Calinks » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:17 pm

Haven't played it but I bet I would like it. I can generally put up with a lot in games If I really enjoy something about it, I will probably be into the story. Could be I don't like it, I just would be surprised.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#76 » by Mattya » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:48 pm

2k is on sale for Black Friday, but can anyone comment on if it is still has all the problems from launch or is it patched now?
packforfreedom
Analyst

Post#77 » by packforfreedom » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 pm

I am playing Death Stranding and I like it. Played 25 hours or so and I'm glad I've bought it. It's different than other games, and I think I could understand why other find it boring, it's not for everyone, but I'm really liking the slower pace and the game design in general. It think it's refreshing, but I don't necessarily think the game as masterpiece, but for me it could be the best game of 2019.
ah and it's still a Kojima game so it's includes weirdness, overly complicated, not completely logical background stories, silly jokes and a bit of over the top characters.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#78 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:15 am

Mattya wrote:2k is on sale for Black Friday, but can anyone comment on if it is still has all the problems from launch or is it patched now?
Not worth it even at Black Friday prices
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#79 » by Calinks » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:26 am

I thought I would get 2K at Black Friday but it's not cheap enough for me to budge plus I don't have a ton of money to spend. Just not that thirsty for it this year, I'll get eventually at some point when the right deal comes along.

There are some great game deals though. Lots of good ones going for under 20. The main one I am holding out for is Resident Evil 2 for 15 bucks.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,815

Post#80 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:47 am

Calinks wrote:I thought I would get 2K at Black Friday but it's not cheap enough for me to budge plus I don't have a ton of money to spend. Just not that thirsty for it this year, I'll get eventually at some point when the right deal comes along.

There are some great game deals though. Lots of good ones going for under 20. The main one I am holding out for is Resident Evil 2 for 15 bucks.

In my experience you can "almost" never go wrong with Resident Evil.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves