ImageImage

Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,112

Re: Scarence Terrence: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#401 » by SWedd523 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Anytime MJ steps in on a personnel decision, I get nervous.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#402 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:51 pm

LofJ wrote:Michael Jordan competed against the best organizations in the NBA in the Knicks and the Suns and came out on top.

Pretty funny but I don't think that is exactly fair. Clearly the Suns, Knicks and Hornets were the 3 most PG needy teams in the NBA after the draft/early FA period. I am actually glad that the other teams who at least in part sucked because of not having a PG were trying to get the seemingly best young FA PG on the market. We "won" out. IDK if he will be a blessing or a curse at that price but at least we have a semi sought after prospect to assess.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 936

Post#403 » by Robot Rock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:19 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Anytime MJ steps in on a personnel decision, I get nervous.

Well that's only because when he steps in, whatever decision made is the worst possible one.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#404 » by 316Hornets » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:
LofJ wrote:Michael Jordan competed against the best organizations in the NBA in the Knicks and the Suns and came out on top.

Pretty funny but I don't think that is exactly fair. Clearly the Suns, Knicks and Hornets were the 3 most PG needy teams in the NBA after the draft/early FA period. I am actually glad that the other teams who at least in part sucked because of not having a PG were trying to get the seemingly best young FA PG on the market. We "won" out. IDK if he will be a blessing or a curse at that price but at least we have a semi sought after prospect to assess.

I think those teams were interested in taking a 1 year flyer on him. I could understand why he'd be more interested in Suns over the Knicks since Knicks have DSJ and Rozier wanted to be a starter.

Basically, what I'm getting out of all this. We got a guy with limited potential that some teams wanted to give a shot at starting. Our owner and GM offered him a contract and spot no other team could come close to. It's a humongous reach, but worst case scenario is he leads us to some high lottery picks. Best case scenario is he lives up to his contract and we either have a nice trade asset or someone to build around for the future.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#405 » by iliyanvs » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:15 pm

In my opinion people are way too harsh on Rozier's contract. Considering Hornet's squad, Rozier will be a top option so his numbers probably are going to be nice, I won't be surprised if he is in the 20/6/6 range. He is very capable in both ends of the floor, the problem last year was that Rozier needs a higher volume of shots to be effective, he isn't meant to be a spot up shooter, which wasnt happening with KI as a starter.
I think this year he will surprise lots of people.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using RealGM mobile app
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#406 » by geraldwallace » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 pm

You guys we're less harsh on Miles Plumlee and he had absolutely zero upside, at least we know there is some chance that this guy could be a NBA star. Wait and see
Radu_Hornets
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#407 » by Radu_Hornets » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:13 am

FWIW Scary Terry went 9/9 in a row in a 3vs3.
#BelieveInTerryIGuess

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B1emhAUAHXW/?igshid=1jdcar12akl7x
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#408 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:45 am

Radu_Hornets wrote:FWIW Scary Terry went 9/9 in a row in a 3vs3.
#BelieveInTerryIGuess

Hes a solid defender, okay athlete. Hes dribble is meh. If he can get his outside shot to respectable he is well worth his contract. Hes going to average nearly 19 5 and 5 this year. Hes going to make me a lot of $ in draftkings doing that the first 2 weeks of the season as well.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
hotrod
Veteran
And1: 150

Post#409 » by hotrod » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 pm

316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#410 » by 316Hornets » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Radu_Hornets wrote:FWIW Scary Terry went 9/9 in a row in a 3vs3.
#BelieveInTerryIGuess

Hes a solid defender, okay athlete. Hes dribble is meh. If he can get his outside shot to respectable he is well worth his contract. Hes going to average nearly 19 5 and 5 this year. Hes going to make me a lot of $ in draftkings doing that the first 2 weeks of the season as well.

Dribble looks way slow. Could be fatigue, but I think a lot of NBA level defenders would get a hand in there a few times.

Edit: Just looked at a few highlights. His dribble isn't usually that slow. He just changes up the speed depending on who is guarding him from what I saw.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,474

Re: Shams: Rozier to Charlotte 

Post#411 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:14 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:
It would've had to have been close. Rough numbers the lowest possible that would work for 3 years would be about $41M, but the highest would be over $64M. Terry had interest from a few teams (Phoenix, NYK) and obviously had to be onboard with a sign-and-trade as well, so we had to make sure we had a competitive offer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Interesting. thanks.

So even if there were no other suitors and we were the only team interested in Rozier, we were obligated to offer him the contract that we did (the per year at least) because of the contract Kemba agreed to.
Last night I kinda forgot about the MLE angle, in theory we could've offered that for 3 years/$29M. Close to your number, but I'm not sure that gets him. At least we still have that option to use elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This got brought up on the tradeboard, so I figured I would reply here as well.

There isn't a reason that Charlotte would have had to offer that contract because of Kemba's deal.

Boston was signing Kemba with cap space; they had already even dumped Baynes at the draft and they knew Horford had a big deal somewhere else (but not where supposedly), so Boston didn't need the sign and trade.
But even if you try and create a hypothetical where Boston would need a sign and trade, Rozier's deal would have left them almost 10m short; it doesn't add up. Boston would have needed to match the full Kemba salary.

BYC *only* applied to Charlotte and not Boston. It set an upper limit on what Charlotte could use as a matching base. Charlotte went ahead and paid to get this base, and then signed Rozier for a starting salary of almost 20m, when they could have signed him for anywhere between the vet min and jus under 22m.
hotrod
Veteran

Post#412 » by hotrod » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:49 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Could be a good candidate for MIP.
hotrod
Veteran

Post#413 » by hotrod » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:16 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#414 » by Snidely FC » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:03 pm

I was a vocal opponent of the Rozier deal only five games in I have to say I like Rozier more than I thought I would, largely due to his personality; I expected him to come in sounding off about how he deserved to be a starter in the league (see post above) and playing hero ball to prove his point to the detriment of the young players, instead he has largely let the game come to him, not pouting when JB preferred Graham at the end of the CHI game, played his way into the team, led by example and quietly imposed his will on the SAC game; even talked team ball when interviewed by (the smoking hot by the way) Ashley Shahamahdi afterward. Helps that he is shooting 40% from 3, but really its about personality, I like his demeanor a lot more than expected.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#415 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 1, 2019 12:47 pm

Snidely FC wrote:I was a vocal opponent of the Rozier deal only five games in I have to say I like Rozier more than I thought I would, largely due to his personality; I expected him to come in sounding off about how he deserved to be a starter in the league (see post above) and playing hero ball to prove his point to the detriment of the young players, instead he has largely let the game come to him, not pouting when JB preferred Graham at the end of the CHI game, played his way into the team, led by example and quietly imposed his will on the SAC game; even talked team ball when interviewed by (the smoking hot by the way) Ashley Shahamahdi afterward. Helps that he is shooting 40% from 3, but really its about personality, I like his demeanor a lot more than expected.

I 100% agree.

I expected to dislike the guy based on things that had been reported out of Boston. I was worried he would come in and be an instant locker room cancer and potentially disrupt the great chemistry our team has been known for. I thought he would be a PJ Harriston level of chucker and that I would despise his playing style.

But he really started making a believer out of me during preseason. I actually don't mind watching him play at all. He has the occasional brain fart - but nothing that is Ben Gordon type meltdowns - and I understanding him wanting to stamp his signature on the game at times (because that was kinda one of the reasons he was brought in), but he doesn't do it then continually do it even when it's going wrong for him. He seems to be able to reel himself back in and not get carried away when things aren't going right for him.

As others have said, his playing style and Devonte's playing style really compliment each other well - playing as a change of pace when each other is on the pine or next to each other in spurts.
B B M F 'ers
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#416 » by LofJ » Fri Nov 1, 2019 1:18 pm

My opinion on Rozier changed when I watched some video interviews of him. I was trying to have an open-mind beforehand, but after all the negativity surrounding his signing I expected those opinions to at least be somewhat validated. However, after listening to him talk about the game and other things I was surprised by his maturity and I came away liking him. It just goes to show you that judging someone before you even get to know them is a foolish thing to do.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,302

Post#417 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:28 am

He's always played super aggressive so I saw him as a good fit. He plays mean and hungry. I wasn't worried about coachability. These GM's have ways of finding out these things. His personality is the kind of influence healthy for teams going through growing pains. Terry wants to prove the Celtics made a mistake. He wants to run his own team and he will do what it takes to win.
It has been written...
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#418 » by BobsBuddy » Sat Nov 2, 2019 12:21 pm

:D :D :D I think I know where the Hornets are heading and if so Mitch is brilliant. When we signed Terry we had no idea that Devonta would be playing like he has the fist 5 games. If he continues this performance through 20 games, I think we might trade Rozier to Minn T-Wolves for Teagues expiring, maybe Bates-Diop, and 2020 1st or 2nd. With all our expiring contracts,then ,we go after Brandon Ingram who becomes a FA next season. (signing him would put NOP in the luxury tax) .Then lets say we go 25-57 and pick top 5 in 2020. 3 of the top 5 are PGs. We pair one of them with Devonta next season. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,164

Post#419 » by KembaWalker » Sat Nov 2, 2019 1:03 pm

so annoying to see all the Terry haters out in full force when he had a couple bad games at the beginning, now its just radio silence since he's been playing well enough to have an efficient season. 55.8 % TS and trending up. This might be a dumb way to look at it, but he's giving us basically exactly what Kemba in everything except PPG. And those extra shots are going to our young guys. Exactly how I wanted it to be going into this year

lets be real, if Kemba was here, PJ and Miles would probably be getting half the shots they are getting now, cause Kemba would need an extra 10 per game. And I don't think Bacons letting anyone get in the way of him getting his shots up
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#420 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Nov 2, 2019 2:02 pm

KembaWalker wrote:so annoying to see all the Terry haters out in full force when he had a couple bad games at the beginning, now its just radio silence since he's been playing well enough to have an efficient season

Totally 100% not OK with this take. This kind of thing is the worst of realgm for me. "Oh, I was right and everyone was against me!" Whatever. And this coming from a guy who was on board with the move to get him from day 1 too.

VERY few people on this board were anti Terry. The negative opinions were almost all contract based. There were far more questions & concerns about the years & the money more than there were about Terry as a player here.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody

Return to Charlotte Hornets