The balance things out trade

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

The balance things out trade 

Post#1 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 2:00 pm

A few games in it seem obvious. We go 6 deep with wings and arguably we don't have a traditional 4 or even a 3/4. I know the game is positionless today but, the skill set provided by Thad Young is missing. Every team needs a dirty work athlete with some size. So I pose the following questions:
1. Which of our wings is expendable?
2. Who could we reasonably get?

In a not particularly exhaustive search I came up with this.
Pacers out TJ Warren
Magic out Al Aminu

Aminu is a pretty good Thad Young knock off. The contracts match in both $$ and time. Orlando seems to have too many 3/4's who are better 4's than 3's. Also looks like they could use another scorer.

From our perspective i move Warren because he's been overall the least impressive of him, Lamb, J Holiday, McD, Sumner.

Thoughts?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: The balance things out trade 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:39 pm

So far Warren hasn't impressed but no need to make an early move. Player development isn't limited to the youngest players.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Post#3 » by Pacersike » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:05 pm

I want to see what Warren can do when Oladipo is back and playing.

The question I ask myself is can Turner and Bitadze play together? Knowing Turner and Sabonis can, but without a big positive impact.

When talking about balance, ideally all 3 bigs can play together with one and the other.

With 1 player always playing center, one PF/C and 1 smallball 4. Looking forward to the Turner Bitadze lineup.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#4 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:16 pm

Wizop wrote:So far Warren hasn't impressed but no need to make an early move. Player development isn't limited to the youngest players.

Sent from my phone.

I agree with your point. Maybe it clicks with Leaf and Goga is fine backing up Turner. Otherwise I don't rule out situations where you play with only one big. That might all work. And, of the 5 trade candidates Warren could be the one with the biggest upside.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 2, 2019 5:07 pm

Pacersike wrote:When talking about balance, ideally all 3 bigs can play together with one and the other.

Goga looked okay playing with Sabonis last night.

Sent from my phone.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,272

Post#6 » by boomershadow » Sat Nov 2, 2019 6:09 pm

Not sure I love the idea of either Turner or Goga guarding 4s. On offense, though, both can shoot the 3.
festar35
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#7 » by festar35 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 7:15 pm

I want to see Jakarr Sampson get some more opportunities. He wasn't great offensively against Cleveland, but he offered a lot of energy & made things a bit more difficult for Love with some nice defense.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#8 » by Nuntius » Sat Nov 2, 2019 10:53 pm

The big lineups have fared pretty so far. Domas and Myles have played 89 minutes together and they have a +3.9 Net Rating. Domas and Goga have played 16 minutes together and they have a +9.4 Net Rating -> https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612754&GroupQuantity=2&CF=GROUP_NAME*E*Sabonis

Obviously, the sample size is very small but I don't see any reason to think that they can't be productive together.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#9 » by Moooose » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:56 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacersike wrote:When talking about balance, ideally all 3 bigs can play together with one and the other.

Goga looked okay playing with Sabonis last night.

Sent from my phone.

I think that has a lot to do with Goga being more mobile and willing to contest shots. I mean he covers for what Sabonis is lacking.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Post#10 » by Pacersike » Sun Nov 3, 2019 8:32 am

Nuntius wrote:The big lineups have fared pretty so far. Domas and Myles have played 89 minutes together and they have a +3.9 Net Rating. Domas and Goga have played 16 minutes together and they have a +9.4 Net Rating -> https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612754&GroupQuantity=2&CF=GROUP_NAME*E*Sabonis

Obviously, the sample size is very small but I don't see any reason to think that they can't be productive together.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/team/12/lineups?on=3216&on=3729#tab-four_factors

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/team/12/lineups?C=3216#tab-four_factors

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2860666-nba-stars-who-could-surprisingly-be-traded#slide6

It's up for debate with such a small sample size. Time will tell :)
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nuntius » Mon Nov 4, 2019 12:58 pm

Pacersike wrote:
Nuntius wrote:The big lineups have fared pretty so far. Domas and Myles have played 89 minutes together and they have a +3.9 Net Rating. Domas and Goga have played 16 minutes together and they have a +9.4 Net Rating -> https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612754&GroupQuantity=2&CF=GROUP_NAME*E*Sabonis

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/team/12/lineups?on=3216&on=3729#tab-four_factors

https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/team/12/lineups?C=3216#tab-four_factors

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2860666-nba-stars-who-could-surprisingly-be-traded#slide6

It's up for debate with such a small sample size. Time will tell :)

The sample size is indeed very small. I'm confident, though. Very confident :)
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#12 » by ahartleyvu » Mon Nov 4, 2019 1:03 pm

I think we could really use someone like Jae Crowder
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,050

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 4, 2019 4:18 pm

ahartleyvu wrote:I think we could really use someone like Jae Crowder

Agreed. Someone who is really more of a 4/3 that can defend the big wings/mobile 4's is definitely the hole on the roster needing to be filled. We're really stretching playing Justin Holiday there as a 2 at the 4 that can defend some, but I think Sampson is supposed to be that, and Alize is hoped to be that long-term, but a Crowder, Aminu, etc, would be very helpful now.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 4, 2019 5:46 pm

or like Thad Young although I understand completely why we didn't offer him what the Bulls did.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Nuntius » Tue Nov 5, 2019 7:01 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Agreed. Someone who is really more of a 4/3 that can defend the big wings/mobile 4's is definitely the hole on the roster needing to be filled. We're really stretching playing Justin Holiday there as a 2 at the 4 that can defend some, but I think Sampson is supposed to be that, and Alize is hoped to be that long-term, but a Crowder, Aminu, etc, would be very helpful now.

That's a good point. We don't have a player who can guard the big wings that have primary ball-handling/scoring duties like LeBron, Durant and Giannis. That's the area where we're going to miss Thad the most.

It's why I always supported targetting someone like Taurean Prince. I always saw him as someone who has the potential to be like Thad in that aspect.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,272

Post#16 » by boomershadow » Tue Nov 5, 2019 12:01 pm

I like the defense I've seen from Lamb, but he is only 6'5". Maybe they're banking on improvement in that area from Warren?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 5, 2019 2:31 pm

Nuntius wrote:That's a good point. We don't have a player who can guard the big wings that have primary ball-handling/scoring duties like LeBron, Durant and Giannis.

who does? can you name a few players other than those three who can guard those three? we also got schooled by Drummond but it is generally accepted that the only answer there is to play someone he can't guard at the other end and we do have that. I'm more worried by the Kennards of the league.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 5, 2019 3:44 pm

Wizop wrote:
Nuntius wrote:That's a good point. We don't have a player who can guard the big wings that have primary ball-handling/scoring duties like LeBron, Durant and Giannis.

who does? can you name a few players other than those three who can guard those three? we also got schooled by Drummond but it is generally accepted that the only answer there is to play someone he can't guard at the other end and we do have that. I'm more worried by the Kennards of the league.

Thad did pretty well against them. Heck, even Bojan did a decent enough job making them work for their inevitable production that it helped us around the rest of the court. No one can reliably stop those guys (other than other super duper top guys like Kawhi/PG13/etc), but even just savvy guys that can slow them down or make them earn that production and burn some energy on a nightly basis is a huge help.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Nuntius » Wed Nov 6, 2019 6:38 am

Wizop wrote:

Basically, what Scoot said. No one can stop those guys, of course, but some players can slow them down a bit.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 6, 2019 1:16 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Basically, what Scoot said. No one can stop those guys, of course, but some players can slow them down a bit.

Yeah. It may not help on a single night basis, but on a B2B? Or in a 7 game series? It can slowly chip away and help.

Return to Indiana Pacers