ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Fight Night Cannonier vs Hermansson lots of strikers! 

Post#341 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:47 pm

j4remi wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:Well damn again. Like i said, i'm a big Cowboy Cerrone fan but the dude is not gonna beat Connor and won't be able to take Connor's left hand to the body or face the way Gaethje can. The only way Cowboy beats him is if he can get Connor to the ground and get his back and neck but people underestimate Connor's take down defense just like people did with Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

100% co-sign this. I can't see Cowboy lasting long enough for Conor to gas, so he'd need a quick takedown and some grinding to win. I think Conor and JJ have a similar thing where it's possible to get in on their hips but even when they get taken down, they're great at popping right back up. Like Conor vs Siver and JJ vs Andrade. JJ is especially great, it's really a slept on aspect of her game how she can be such an aggressive striker but super difficult to take down.

Yes to all this. Joanna by the way looked absolutely great at the new weight against Waterson and didn't look like she lost any of her speed at all. She's so damn dangerous on her feet and has great take down defense and as you said always gets right back up very quick if she does get taken down and that stuff will mess with the opponents head.

By the way, someone on here said that N.Diaz is out of the BMF (Bad Mother F-er) fight against Masvidal and that L.Edwards is in but i'm still seeing that it's not a done deal yet that Nate is out and actually looks more like he's still gonna be in that fight then it looks like he'll be out.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Fight Night Cannonier vs Hermansson lots of strikers! 

Post#342 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:06 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Some shyt is going on with Nate. He says he got tested and got popped for a false positive or tainted supplement. I believe Nate but who knows. Hopefully, they can get this resolved soon.

EDIT: Well, it's resolved.Nate Diaz appears to be out. Leon Edwards is in. :o

newyorker4ever wrote:
Yes to all this. Joanna by the way looked absolutely great at the new weight against Waterson and didn't look like she lost any of her speed at all. She's so damn dangerous on her feet and has great take down defense and as you said always gets right back up very quick if she does get taken down and that stuff will mess with the opponents head.

By the way, someone on here said that N.Diaz is out of the BMF (Bad Mother F-er) fight against Masvidal and that L.Edwards is in but i'm still seeing that it's not a done deal yet that Nate is out and actually looks more like he's still gonna be in that fight then it looks like he'll be out.

I know a lot of people are bumping Weili Zhang vs Valentina but I actually prefer that JJ match-up. Zhang is still fairly new to my eyes and I think JJ is a great contrasting style to her prior opponents, I'll be able to get a better read from that one :nod:

On the Nate/Masvidal/Edwards triangle...Helwani reported that there's confidence the Nate/Masvidal fight is still on. I saw Weasel say on Twitter that Nate had trace amounts of SARMs which some heads were describing as a performance enhancing but on too small a scale for someone to risk popping in any competitive sport. I don't have time to go over it, but I ran to pubmed and grabbed what looks like a summary to go over later. Whenever these guys pop for a substance I don't know, PubMed is always my go too...tons of open access content there.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28624515
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#343 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:34 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Some shyt is going on with Nate. He says he got tested and got popped for a false positive or tainted supplement. I believe Nate but who knows. Hopefully, they can get this resolved soon.

newyorker4ever wrote:

I know a lot of people are bumping Weili Zhang vs Valentina but I actually prefer that JJ match-up. Zhang is still fairly new to my eyes and I think JJ is a great contrasting style to her prior opponents, I'll be able to get a better read from that one :nod:

On the Nate/Masvidal/Edwards triangle...Helwani reported that there's confidence the Nate/Masvidal fight is still on. I saw Weasel say on Twitter that Nate had trace amounts of SARMs which some heads were describing as a performance enhancing but on too small a scale for someone to risk popping in any competitive sport. I don't have time to go over it, but I ran to pubmed and grabbed what looks like a summary to go over later. Whenever these guys pop for a substance I don't know, PubMed is always my go too...tons of open access content there.

I think W.Zhang is new to pretty much everyone's eyes in the USA anyway but she looks like an absolute beast and i'm good with seeing her fight either one of Valentina or JJ.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#344 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 pm

j4remi wrote:

newyorker4ever wrote:

Nate was smart in aggressively coming out and nipping this in the bud. He didn't want this coming out after, hopefully, getting a victory and then have that victory tainted by subsequent allegation "picograms" in his system and getting the Jon Jones treatment. From what I learned, USADA was supposed to address this issue of "false positives from trace amounts" in its testing regimen but, apparently, hasn't gotten to it yet. Nate ain't hearing it. I say "Good for Nate."

This way, he gets the UFC and USADA to clear him before the fight. :nod:
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#345 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:41 am

Till is having visa problems? How the fook does that happen before a big fight?
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#346 » by j4remi » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:24 pm

UFC at MSG tonight, I've been fairly busy at work and focused on getting back in the swing of Knicks write-ups but suffice to say that I'm HYPE about this card. From top to bottom it's stacked and the added pageantry of having the Rock and a sitting US president (as much as I personally dislike the guy) is just making this all feel epic. I didn't get the chance to attend events this week which kills me because some of the MMA content creators I chop it up with were able to score press passes...I gotta step up the MMA work side of things.

Anyway quick picks without run downs so I at least throw these out there.

Masvidal over Nate...but it's completely 50/50 for me.

Kelvin over Till...Till at 185 is a wild card that I wouldn't bet against until I see him fight though. Also, did yall see elbow gate?

Wonderboy over Luque...just think it's a bad style for Luque's first big name which is unfortunate.

Lewis over Ivanov...Lewis looks great, best shape he's been in since his early fights.

Gillespie over Lee...seeing the size difference has me second guessing it but Gillespie is just that good a grappler that I think he takes it anyway.

Walker over Anderson...I was on the fence until I saw Corey's finger all jacked up.

Burgos over Amirkhani...don't sleep, I'm big on both these prospects. Burgos is more proven though and local.

Tavares over Shahbazyan...only because I'm not familiar with Shahbazyan.

Arlovski over Rozenstruik...same as Tavares and I also think Andrei is the type of vet that any under 10 fight dude making a UFC debut could struggle with.

Chookagian over Maia...Honestly a toss up for me but Maia had weight cut issues and Chookagian is so close to the next title shot that it'd be a shame for her to blow this.

Good over Recountre...Lyman Good has shown signs of improvement that make me edge him here. Normally I'd pick Recountre to play it safe but I'm aiming for continued growth from Good...plus inside sources have told me he's a really good person which makes me biased.

Arce over Dawodu...I haven't watched enough to be confident picking. Normally I pick the bigger sub threat in fresher prospects matching up...always safer to bet on grappling if you don't have a good read imho (they can steal decisions with late takedowns).
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 244 Nate vs Masvidal at MSG for the BMF belt! 

Post#347 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Nov 2, 2019 6:49 pm

If they show Trump on the jumbo screen, the crowd is going to KILL him after that news about moving from NYC. lmao

Great card tonight. Gonna be fun. What's "Elbow Gate"?
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 244 Nate vs Masvidal at MSG for the BMF belt! 

Post#348 » by j4remi » Sat Nov 2, 2019 7:17 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:If they show Trump on the jumbo screen, the crowd is going to KILL him after that news about moving from NYC. lmao

Great card tonight. Gonna be fun. What's "Elbow Gate"?

It looked like gastelum leaned on his manager to make weight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mmamania.com/platform/amp/2019/11/1/20943808/elbow-gate-leaning-kelvin-gastelum-under-fire-allegations-weigh-in-shenanigans-mma
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#349 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:32 am

Wingo your boy Nate is about to catch beating today. :lol:
Most people are predicting this as 50/50 but Mas is on another level. Been world class for a while now, just unlucky. Anyone willing to do a sig bet?
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#350 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:34 am

Wow Edmen Shahbazyan, 21 years old?
Future champ material right there
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#351 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:35 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:Wow Edmen Shahbazyan, 21 years old?

That was some ridiculously sharp striking. That was some high level stuff by a 21 year old.
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#352 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:42 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

That was some ridiculously sharp striking. That was some high level stuff by a 21 year old.

The way he was masking those KO strikes was ridiculously clever. True talent. Speed, strength, athleticism can be neutralized, but setting up traps and patterns like this is another level of human chess
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#353 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:47 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

The way he was masking those KO strikes was ridiculously clever. True talent. Speed, strength, athleticism can be neutralized, but setting up traps and patterns like this is another level of human chess

That left jab followed up by that left kick off the front foot. This kid was so patient and smart against a dangerous fight. He reminds me of Rory McDonald a little
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#354 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:51 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:Wingo your boy Nate is about to catch beating today. :lol:
Most people are predicting this as 50/50 but Mas is on another level. Been world class for a while now, just unlucky. Anyone willing to do a sig bet?

Gamebread is so tough. Lot's of respect for him. But, yeah, I'm staying with Nate. I don't think Jorge can keep pace with Nate's cardio and if the fight goes to the ground, then that's a wrap.

How about the power in Rozenstruik? Woah.
POSTING POLICIES:
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#355 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:52 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

That left jab followed up by that left kick off the front foot. This kid was so patient and smart against a dangerous fight. He reminds me of Rory McDonald a little

Yeah he knew Tavares was perrying to his right after throwing several jabs earlier. He followed with the right cross to make sure he doesn't perry left. Nothing was wasted he was setting him up the whole time. Impressive.
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#356 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:05 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Gamebread is so tough. Lot's of respect for him. But, yeah, I'm staying with Nate. I don't think Jorge can keep pace with Nate's cardio and if the fight goes to the ground, then that's a wrap.

He has like 65 KOs. Crazy power with the left hook and AA is very chiny so predictable result.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#357 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:09 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

He has like 65 KOs. Crazy power with the left hook and AA is very chiny so predictable result.

Yeah, AA should go to Bellator or retire.

Amirkhani vs. Burgos is also good.
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#358 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:37 am

Johnnie Walker fighting out of Russia?
POSTING POLICIES:
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#359 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:38 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Johnnie Walker fighting out of Russia?

Yeah he was training in Russia for this fight. Probably shoring up his wrestling.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#360 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:41 am

Wow
POSTING POLICIES:

Return to New York Knicks