Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,692

Re: Scarence Terrence: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#421 » by KembaWalker » Sat Nov 2, 2019 2:08 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:so annoying to see all the Terry haters out in full force when he had a couple bad games at the beginning, now its just radio silence since he's been playing well enough to have an efficient season

Totally 100% not OK with this take. This kind of thing is the worst of realgm for me. "Oh, I was right and everyone was against me!" Whatever. And this coming from a guy who was on board with the move to get him from day 1 too.

VERY few people on this board were anti Terry. The negative opinions were almost all contract based. There were far more questions & concerns about the years & the money more than there were about Terry as a player here.

just to clarify, I didn't mean on here at all. I meant on the general board and other places like twitter and especially on Reddit where anything Hornets related was completely clowned on all summer.
People here were fine, because we saw Terrys good preseason

sorry if I was unclear
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#422 » by penquin11 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 8:16 pm

I feel like how a player performs, and their stated contract, are inevitably tied. I was not a fan of Rozier as a player because of his poor shot selection and lackluster consistency. Then we went and signed him on a massive contract in what appeared to be a panic move. I don't put alot of stock in the pre-season as we've had players light it up there before playing extremely poorly for us during the regular season.

It could work out, to be completely honest Rozier hasn't even been as bad as I expected him to be.

Don't get me wrong, if we signed him on the cheap maybe I could have gotten behind it all. But even then I don't think you ever could have convinced me that he was the best move we could have made.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#423 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Nov 2, 2019 10:49 pm

I honestly dont have a problem with his contract in the least. If anything I think it will be a bargain
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,692

Post#424 » by KembaWalker » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:08 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I honestly dont have a problem with his contract in the least. If anything I think it will be a bargain

yup..not even considering the albatross he became....we were hyped to sign 28 year old Batum to 5 year 120 million after he averaged 15/6/6, but I'm supposed to be upset about a 3 year 58 million dollar deal for a 25 year old guy that can give you the same production with actual potential to improve? I don't get it
Buzzzz
Senior
And1: 552

Post#425 » by Buzzzz » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:21 am

KembaWalker wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:I honestly dont have a problem with his contract in the least. If anything I think it will be a bargain

yup..not even considering the albatross he became....we were hyped to sign 28 year old Batum to 5 year 120 million after he averaged 15/6/6, but I'm supposed to be upset about a 3 year 58 million dollar deal for a 25 year old guy that can give you the same production with actual potential to improve? I don't get it

Adding to this that the contract is front ended so his yearly salary decreases each year of the contract. I don't get the fuss either.
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#426 » by BobsBuddy » Sun Nov 3, 2019 2:36 pm

:nonono: :o :roll: I'm really surprised nobody had a comment on my post yesterday about trading Rosier to Minn for Teagues expiring+ 2020 1st? Then go after Ingram as a max FA Signing in offseason? :crazy: ?
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#427 » by DY_nasty » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:22 pm

BobsBuddy wrote::nonono: :o :roll: I'm really surprised nobody had a comment on my post yesterday about trading Rosier to Minn for Teagues expiring+ 2020 1st? Then go after Ingram as a max FA Signing in offseason? :crazy: ?

not interested in any of them.

there's no rush on moving terry at all is why... teague and a 1st isn't a bad idea but if we're dropping salary there's plenty of other guys who should be dealt first. rozier is young enough to consider keeping around long term still.

ingram needs to prove he can be healthy too before anyone starts clearing out space for him.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#428 » by HornetJail » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:05 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
BobsBuddy wrote::nonono: :o :roll: I'm really surprised nobody had a comment on my post yesterday about trading Rosier to Minn for Teagues expiring+ 2020 1st? Then go after Ingram as a max FA Signing in offseason? :crazy: ?

there's no rush on moving terry at all is why... teague and a 1st isn't a bad idea but if we're dropping salary there's plenty of other guys who should be dealt first. rozier is young enough to consider keeping around long term still.

ingram needs to prove he can be healthy too before anyone starts clearing out space for him.

lol what, if you manage to offload Rozier for an expiring (who is a better PG) and a 1st, you do it every single time.

Minny would block our number though, that's a terrible trade
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#429 » by DY_nasty » Sun Nov 3, 2019 10:54 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:

lol what, if you manage to offload Rozier for an expiring (who is a better PG) and a 1st, you do it every single time.

Minny would block our number though, that's a terrible trade

teague hasn't been a good point guard in years... only reason he's even still on the team is because they screwed themselves trying to force a trade for garland

and rozier isn't the guy who we need to be in a rush to offload. zeller (especially while he's still playing well and before he's picked up his annual pre-trade deadline injury) and MKG are much higher on the list. plus it outright looks terrible to move a guy before the ink has even dried. only large market teams get away with that.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#430 » by predators » Mon Nov 4, 2019 9:45 pm

Buzzzz wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

Adding to this that the contract is front ended so his yearly salary decreases each year of the contract. I don't get the fuss either.

It's front loaded and it's only one year beyond Batum coming off the books. He'll be off the books by time we are trying to resign PJ other free agents etc. We overpaid in a vacuum, but given the context of our situation it isn't terrible. It really only sucks for Jordan who's spending a lot on a gamble.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#431 » by BigSlam » Wed Nov 6, 2019 7:23 pm

I'm enjoying Terry so far, but I would really like him to clean up the sloppy turn overs.

I know we were spoiled with Walker for so many years because he had such a great handle and really protected the ball, but Terry needs to be better with his ball control IMO.

If he cut down on the unnecessary turn overs he would have much more of a positive impact on the game.

It's funny because he's never really had high turn over averages before - but maybe it's because he's being asked to do more now than ever?
B B M F 'ers
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#432 » by euphorbus » Thu Nov 7, 2019 2:14 pm

BigSlam wrote:I'm enjoying Terry so far, but I would really like him to clean up the sloppy turn overs.

I know we were spoiled with Walker for so many years because he had such a great handle and really protected the ball, but Terry needs to be better with his ball control IMO.

If he cut down on the unnecessary turn overs he would have much more of a positive impact on the game.

It's funny because he's never really had high turn over averages before - but maybe it's because he's being asked to do more now than ever?

The turnovers per game do not seem that high to me, at 3.3. James Harden has 5.6, Kyrie Irving 2.9, De'Aaron Fox 4.0. Rozier does have the most on the team, though.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#433 » by BigSlam » Thu Nov 7, 2019 2:58 pm

euphorbus wrote:
BigSlam wrote:I'm enjoying Terry so far, but I would really like him to clean up the sloppy turn overs.

The turnovers per game do not seem that high to me, at 3.3. James Harden has 5.6, Kyrie Irving 2.9, De'Aaron Fox 4.0. Rozier does have the most on the team, though.

It's not so much the number of them but more so the nature of them.

It's not like he's committing turn overs because he's trying really fancy things, it seems to more just be...........sloppiness. It's not at Ben Gordon levels of sloppy turn overs, but it's not that far off it. I just think if he tightened that up it would seriously help.

As far as comparing his turn overs to guys like Harden, Irving and Fox goes: I wouldn't mind betting that their ball usage is much higher than Terry's - which might provide context.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#434 » by DY_nasty » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:23 pm

BigSlam wrote:
euphorbus wrote:

It's not like he's committing turn overs because he's trying really fancy things, it seems to more just be...........sloppiness. It's not at Ben Gordon levels of sloppy turn overs, but it's not that far off it. I just think if he tightened that up it would seriously help.

As far as comparing his turn overs to guys like Harden, Irving and Fox goes: I wouldn't mind betting that their ball usage is much higher than Terry's - which might provide context.

I'm in the same boat with some of these turnovers. He's supposed to be the experienced guy and a lot of his turnovers fall into the category of "doin too much"

Its weird. I'm sure he's trying to force things too along with getting better chemistry. I don't think its an alarm or anything just something that's definitely noticeable. He's got to get better - but I'm sure he will.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#435 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:41 pm

I love that he's a workaholic. That's the personality that fuels development. He's a perfect complement to this group.

Looking back at the market, he looks to be one of the best available PG after Kemba left. Kyrie was not coming here. We didn't have space for Russell. I'd take Rozier over the rest.

It was a stand-up scouting job by Mitch. His deal is fair market value. He's getting 17 PPG and shooting decent. He can make big plays.

In a perfect world D. Russell would be here. But like WCS, he was drawn to an NBA Finals hopeful. Terry keeps our brand respectable. I like that he seems to be improving as he learns the system and builds trust with teammates.

For someone who's never been a starter, playing consistent minutes for the first time, I really like what I see so far. Very happy with this front office. I hated HATED the last one.
It has been written...
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#436 » by Homerclease » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:42 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
euphorbus wrote:

I'm in the same boat with some of these turnovers. He's supposed to be the experienced guy and a lot of his turnovers fall into the category of "doin too much"

Its weird. I'm sure he's trying to force things too along with getting better chemistry. I don't think its an alarm or anything just something that's definitely noticeable. He's got to get better - but I'm sure he will.

As a Celtics fan I find this strange. Rozier was always really good with the ball in Boston but he wasn’t much of a playmaker because he didn’t want to risk threading the needle to make a pass. I wouldn’t be concerned about turnovers for him going forward.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#437 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:43 pm

Of all the teams rumored to be interested in Kemba, the Mavericks stood out most. They were likely dangling Dennis Smith Jr.

Rozier vs. Dennis Smith Jr. is no contest.
It has been written...
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#438 » by Steelo Green » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:44 pm

Terry just needs to cut his turnovers down.

A guy getting 16-6-4 with a steal and two triples and a league average TS is def useful. If he can clean his game up in terms of TOs and bad shot selection.

He’s getting better as the season is going off, and he and Graham actually seem to make the other play better.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#439 » by BigSlam » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:25 pm

Homerclease wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:It's not so much the number of them but more so the nature of them.

As a Celtics fan I find this strange. Rozier was always really good with the ball in Boston but he wasn’t much of a playmaker because he didn’t want to risk threading the needle to make a pass. I wouldn’t be concerned about turnovers for him going forward.

That’s promising feedback - thanks.

If he was overdoing it I’d be more worried, but his turnovers are rarely because of that. It’s more out of momentary brain farts and the ball just getting away from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#440 » by Homerclease » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:32 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:I'm in the same boat with some of these turnovers. He's supposed to be the experienced guy and a lot of his turnovers fall into the category of "doin too much"

That’s promising feedback - thanks.

If he was overdoing it I’d be more worried, but his turnovers are rarely because of that. It’s more out of momentary brain farts and the ball just getting away from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah he’s usually really good with the ball. I want to say it was his second year in the league he went two entire playoff series without a turnover. Same year he cooked Bledsoe

Return to Charlotte Hornets