Boxing Thread 4.0

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Re: Boxing Thread 4.0 

Post#1861 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:48 am

Man, what a fight. Porter is an animal. And I can't believe Spence was able to land so well with his short punches inside. Not his game at all but he was finding ways to place them. Look at how well he did in the 12th at distance, THAT'S his game. But he managed to hack it inside despite that.

That said, screw all those low-blows. WTF w/ the ref?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1862 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:50 am

Garcia gonna get KTFO. He doesn't have that kind of fight in him, IDT.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,485

Post#1863 » by Butch718 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:24 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Garcia gonna get KTFO. He doesn't have that kind of fight in him, IDT.

He’s gonna lose for sure. Knocked out though? Very slim chance that happens and this is coming from someone that wants to see him knocked out. Garcia has one of the most underrated chins in the game. He’s taken Thurman’s, Porter’s and a prime Matthyse’s power punches flush on the chin and never went down once.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#1864 » by Papi_swav » Tue Oct 1, 2019 3:06 am

Man that was a classic fight ! Porter did a lot more than I expected, he has a great chin. Honestly I think he exposed Spence in a way, Spence only throws a 1-2 punch, he doesn't really throw combos and he's a stiff, he doesn't move he just stands right there and bang it out. He's just so strong that he can afford to do that but a guy like Crawford will give him trouble with his speed, agility and quickness and he can probably out point him but we've seen Crawford get his chin tested and I dont know if he can take a Spence punch. Great fight though I'm glad it was entertaining from start to finish. Spence vs Garcia should be a good one too. God this is why I love boxing, fights like these is what I pray for !
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#1865 » by Papi_swav » Tue Oct 1, 2019 3:10 am

Butch718 wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Garcia gonna get KTFO. He doesn't have that kind of fight in him, IDT.

He’s gonna lose for sure. Knocked out though? Very slim chance that happens and this is coming from someone that wants to see him knocked out. Garcia has one of the most underrated chins in the game. He’s taken Thurman’s, Porter’s and a prime Matthyse’s power punches flush on the chin and never went down once.

Agree, except for the part where you want Garcia to get KO. His chin is battle tested and he can hang with the best of them. Spence has a different kind of power though. Garcia should of tried to get his rematches from Porter and Thurman first.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,636

Post#1866 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:47 am

GGG lost that fight, I'm posting before the decision so I'm curious to see how they'll rob Derevyanchenko
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#1867 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:05 am

Remember Butch, Haymon isn't a promoter. :wink:

As for GGG-Derevyanchenko, it was a legit close fight that really could've gone either way, neither fighter won more than 7 rounds but if a fighter won 7, I'd lean Sergey. That said, I had it 6-6 on rounds, which gives GGG the nod by a point. Derevyanchenko was excellent to the body, GGG did a lot of his damage upstairs but thought he went to the body more in this fight than recently. Just a brutal fight, both guys certainly lost something Saturday night. I actually enjoyed this one more than Spence/Porter, the offensive flow was awesome to watch.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#1868 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:09 am

Garcia's chin is made of **** steel but he'll get outboxed easily. I think Spence has a much easier time with Garcia than he did Porter just given the styles.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#1869 » by Butch718 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:33 pm

GGG barely won. Derevyanchenko is a hell of a fighter. The knock down gave him the edge. He also won the championship rounds.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1870 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:29 am

What a fight. I think it was the 10th round...just a battering of GGG.

Better chance: that DAZN lets Jonathan Banks keep his job or that GGG gives Derevyanchenko a re-match?
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#1871 » by Jasen777 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 am

Fourth Boxer Dies in Three Months

Boxer Patrick Day died Wednesday (Oct. 16) as a result of brain injuries sustained during his knockout loss to Charles Conwell on Saturday night, promotor Lou DiBella confirmed. The junior middleweight was 27.

Day went down in the 10th round, and the back of his head slammed violently onto the canvas as he fell. Referee Celestino Ruiz immediately stopped the fight, and Day was taken out of the ring on a stretcher. He never regained consciousness, and he later had a seizure, lapsed into a coma and underwent emergency brain surgery....
quickeyg
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: WWE - Braun Strowman vs Tyson Fury & Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez in Saudi Arabia - 31st October 

Post#1872 » by quickeyg » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Tyson Fury has signed a deal with the WWE Wrestling Federation. Kids are talking about this one so i'm tuning in. Fury is up against
Strowman in Saudi Arabia and the date is 31st October. The saga continues sports fans.

Crown Jewel
October 31st

Braun Strowman vs Tyson Fury
Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez

Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#1873 » by Papi_swav » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:52 am

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Remember Butch, Haymon isn't a promoter. :wink:

As for GGG-Derevyanchenko, it was a legit close fight that really could've gone either way, neither fighter won more than 7 rounds but if a fighter won 7, I'd lean Sergey. That said, I had it 6-6 on rounds, which gives GGG the nod by a point. Derevyanchenko was excellent to the body, GGG did a lot of his damage upstairs but thought he went to the body more in this fight than recently. Just a brutal fight, both guys certainly lost something Saturday night. I actually enjoyed this one more than Spence/Porter, the offensive flow was awesome to watch.

Man I'm so sad to see how GGG has fallen off. Father time has caught up with him . Either way he's still a legend and a HOF without a doubt, he gave us classic fights and great knockouts in his career. One of my favorite fighters but he doesn't have much left in the tank, sad to see. Wonder if he gives this guy a rematch or just keep rolling. Honestly at this point he should just get as much money as he can before he retires.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#1874 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Nov 3, 2019 6:10 am

what a brutal knockout by Canelo.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#1875 » by Papi_swav » Sun Nov 3, 2019 8:11 am

Great win by Canelo, he's add another hall of famer to his list. Pretty boring fight up until that knockout. 4 belts in 4 divisions is crazy! Canelo is a legend in the making even though he's had a few gifted wins. Canelo stood patient and knew he had to time his punch. Kovalev chin is not great and he knew that, but Kovalev did a pretty good job with his jab and keeping his distance with Canelo up until that point. Kovalev was not aggressive at all and it looked like he just tried to survive and outpoint Canelo.

Wonder what Canelo does next, he can fight guys anywhere from 154 to 175. I think he should stay around 160-168 division because he looked a little slow at 175. Kovalev got some fight in him left but this is pretty much the end of the road for him. I'm glad I got DAZN, well worth the 100$ for the year. But this fight didn't come on until 1:15 AM eastern time.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#1876 » by Butch718 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 5:32 pm

Canelo should be number 1 on the pound for pound list after last night. Beat Kov at 175 and no catch weight or Rehydration clause. He pushed himself to achieve greatness. Also, don’t want to hear that Kov is washed up or past his prime. While that may be true, He fought the man at his weight and jumped 2 weight classes to do it.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#1877 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Nov 4, 2019 12:58 am

As an outside observer of boxing, is Canelo going way up to fight Kovalev more impressive than any Mayweather victory?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#1878 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Nov 4, 2019 1:56 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:As an outside observer of boxing, is Canelo going way up to fight Kovalev more impressive than any Mayweather victory?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

It's very impressive because he went up 2 weight classes but it's similar to what Mayweather did moving up from welterweight to light middleweight to fight De La Hoya who was 34 at the time, still viewed as dangerous enough to make it interesting but clearly past his prime. They did a good job of picking someone for Canelo that was beatable with a name but dangerous enough to make it interesting, but just like Mayweather didn't go after Sergio Martinez, Vernon Forrest or Paul Williams (the best light middleweights), I doubt Canelo is going to look for a fight with Bivol or Beterbiev who are the 1 and 2 ranked light heavys. I think he drops back down in weight and fights GGG, who I think he will beat easily now after that last showing by GGG.

So, it's very impressive but at the same time it's the usual sleight of hand stuff in boxing. Canelo should be the P4P number 1 now, it's a shame that he wasn't before tonight since he has the best resume of the top 5 fighters now, and this fight cements his legacy.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#1879 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 5:33 am

Very tactical fight, neither guy wanted to give an inch so to speak which made for not the greatest viewing. The cards at the time of the stoppage were solid IMO...it felt like a tense, close fight. Kovalev boxed him solidly but once Canelo really opened up, it seemed to be a fight that truly favored him. Fantastic knockout as well.

Despite the KO, Canelo did look pretty small for LHW, so I expect him to move down to SMW. Reading stuff post-fight about questions surrounding him going back to middleweight, Canelo seemed to suggest that he is done at 160 or at least didn't like the idea of moving down immediately ala Roy Jones from HW to LHW in his next fight.

Papi_swav wrote:But this fight didn't come on until 1:15 AM eastern time.

The wait for this was just ridiculously long. They wanted to do this after UFC 244 finished, I know it's valid to point that there are a lot of fans that do like both UFC and Boxing, and it's nice that they can see both main events live. I want to say HBO and SHO have done this with PPV's regarding certain other sporting events, but not to this extent. UFC events are known to end pretty late, but I think it was some sort of power-play by DAZN to say that they had the big event of combat sports for this night so they wanted to go last. It'll be interesting to see how it's handled in the future but fans who don't watch UFC were not pleased to say the least.
Dry_Fish
RealGM
And1: 8,375

Post#1880 » by Dry_Fish » Mon Nov 4, 2019 6:07 am

Canelo just reading mayweather book.

I don't think canelos fights kovalev pre-ward

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts