ImageImageImageImageImage

LeBron made some of us eat crow yesterday

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,544

LeBron made some of us eat crow yesterday 

Post#1 » by stan francisco » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:34 pm

We’ve all seen him do this before. Just not in a Laker uniform. Total beast. Competing on both ends, pulling from the front like a real leader does! Scoring whenever he wants, dominating both ends.

I’ve been critical, called him LeGroin, LeBronze etc. But he did only play one side of the ball up until Christmas, then the groin. Then he traded our young stars and then mailed it in. Again, no defense. Yesterday was like a trip back two years in time. He used to be a great defender, just never showed he cared about it in our jersey.

This was his first world class game as a Laker. Im not a Kobe homer, but he brought it every night. Lije LBJ did yesterday. Like everyone in the entertainment industry has to bring it every day. That’s what a star does. Want to win the LA crowd over and push yourself into the top echelon of Laker glory? Play defense like yesterday. The fast break seems to come natural to you.

This type of play definitely warrants the superstar paycheck and all the hype; and I hope he comes out just like this to start the next game. If he does, he can ice up after three quarters and we’re winning rings if he plays D like that. Never mind the offense. Lol.

It’s alive... :meditate:

Welcome to LA, LeBron... :bowdown:
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Re: LeBron made some of us eat crow yesterday 

Post#2 » by TylersLakers » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:42 pm

I thought he was mostly really good last year until Christmas. His month before he got hurt was really good and had some huge games in there (vs Miami, @ Miami, vs Minny, vs San Antonio, vs Portland, etc).

But last night he was on another level.

I've embraced him the entire time he's been a Laker. Others need to do the same.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#3 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:47 pm

He’s been much better this year than last because this year he is playing like a top 10 defensive player, which is remarkable at his age. I didn’t see this level of defensive impact and intensity last season. He’s been a complete two way player challenging AD for best player in the league
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#4 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:58 pm

LeBron is the first player in Laker history to put up 35+ 10+ and 15+ in a game. And he's in his 17th season. He's doing things nobody has ever done as a Laker despite having more mileage on his body than almost anybody in NBA history and only having been in LA for a year.

He had a year last year that Kobe couldn't dream of having. 27, 8 and 8 on 59% TS. Those last three numbers - Kobe never put up those numbers even in his very best seasons.

He had your Lakers in 4th place in a very tough west last year before he went down with injury.

And now this:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#5 » by Landsberger » Sun Nov 3, 2019 2:09 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:He’s been much better this year than last because this year he is playing like a top 10 defensive player, which is remarkable at his age. I didn’t see this level of defensive impact and intensity last season. He’s been a complete two way player challenging AD for best player in the league

Defense is a team aspect of the game but I agree that he was less intense on that end last year. The whole team last year was lost on that end and Luke didn't seem interested in it. This year it's a new group and a defensive minded sideline along with much bigger expectations. I think the team is thinking defense coming out of the locker room this year. Last year most of them were thinking how many minutes will I get tonight and when...
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#6 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:33 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:LeBron is the first player in Laker history to put up 35+ 10+ and 15+ in a game. And he's in his 17th season. He's doing things nobody has ever done as a Laker despite having more mileage on his body than almost anybody in NBA history and only having been in LA for a year.

He had a year last year that Kobe couldn't dream of having. 27, 8 and 8 on 59% TS. Those last three numbers - Kobe never put up those numbers even in his very best seasons.

He had your Lakers in 4th place in a very tough west last year before he went down with injury.

And now this:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

27 8 8 on 59 ts got u a lotto pick. Nobody cares about your inflated stats from the James harden Ticky tack era. Kobe made it with the Smush Parker lakers and even when he was old willed his injury plagued team into the playoffs (Nash Howard gasol and Kobe played sub 6 games together all season). His last season was a complete abomination, you are clearly baiting coming into a lakers forum and posting such ridiculous nonsense.

That being said all is forgiven if he plays like this the rest of the year. Kobe w pau got us to the finals. Lebron has a superior guy in ad so I expect at minimum a finals appearance this year
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#7 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 6:02 am

There were plenty of people who were super happy about the Lebron signing. I'm one of them. No crow here.

That said....a nice stat-line in game 5 or 6 of the season, is hardly worth touting. He had a good game, and it was nice road win. Now lets get ready for the next one.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by stan francisco » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:51 am

Again, if he plays defense like this, it should get the rest of team going. I don’t worry about his offense much. But for that paycheck, better lead on both ends.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#9 » by Dr Aki » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:54 am

i mean, he finally had an extended holiday for once

and that back no longer has to singularly hard carry a team
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Sun Nov 3, 2019 12:20 pm

Dr Aki wrote:i mean, he finally had an extended holiday for once

and that back no longer has to singularly hard carry a team

Yep, his knees are not shot, he has shown that he can still play elite defense, and that means we’re in contention. It’s a long season but assuming healthy rosters, Clippers and Sixers are our main threats right now. With LeBron beasting like last game on defense, we’re the team to beat.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,122

Post#11 » by jigga_man » Sun Nov 3, 2019 7:53 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:There were plenty of people who were super happy about the Lebron signing. I'm one of them. No crow here.

That said....a nice stat-line in game 5 or 6 of the season, is hardly worth touting. He had a good game, and it was nice road win. Now lets get ready for the next one.

Thread is a head scratcher for sure. We're in an 82 game season & it is not as if LeBron is gonna face Doncic's abysmal defense night in & night out. With the relatively easy schedule so far (only loss came against the only good/great team) let's see how everyone, not just LeBron, performs at least until the new year before drawing any conclusions on way or the other.
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#12 » by LBC SoCal » Mon Nov 4, 2019 5:57 am

It would be nice to watch his minutes closely this year, I want to see him as fresh as possible come April.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#13 » by metafisical » Tue Nov 5, 2019 4:14 pm

I am eager to see James be the leader in the most-points-in-a-career while he is with the Lakers. So I hope he is fresh for the entire season and at least two more into the future. Barring injury, which I hope doesn't happen, James should pass Bryant sometime this season, and then Malone and Abdul-Jabbar two seasons from now.

Come on, Laker doctors, keep him healthy!
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#14 » by lakerz12 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 1:50 am

He's been great. My only complaint is that I've seen him be very passive in the final minute when the game is close. I want to see him be aggressive and fearless. If he misses shots that's okay. Just be aggressive. Don't go into a shell when the game is on the line.

In the Mavs game he didn't take a shot in the Final minute. He dumped it to AD twice (1 make, 1 miss, both jumpshots), then gave it to Avery Bradley for a long jump shot (miss), then got it to Green for a semi-miracle shot to put it into OT. LeBron could have closed the game prior to that just by being more aggressive on offense.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#15 » by zimpy27 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:13 pm

Lakers added a top 5 player in the offseason and yet LeBron still continue to dominate the on/off stats.
LeBron's net rating differential is +18.7.
Anthony Davis has a net differential of -2.9.

LeBron is the only Laker with a negative off-court net rating at -6.
That means when he sits the Lakers start losing to their opponent at a rate of 6 points per 100 possessions.

The next best on the Lakers is Green with an off-court rating of +3.1
The Lakers are still beating opponents by 3 points per 100 possessions even when he sits.

Davis has an off-court rating of +9.8
The Lakers are beating opponents by 10 points per 100 possessions when Davis sits.
Only Kuzma, Dudley and Daniels improve the Lakers more when sitting.

It's still early in the season and the stats may improve without LeBron but even with a superstar and role players the team looks like it really needs LeBron around.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#16 » by Ball so hard » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:29 pm

I think deep down Lebron wasn't a fan of Luke's coaching last year. He was clearly not engaged on defense last year... I looked like he hardly tried. I think his production now is comparable to that of pre-Christmas'.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#17 » by Ball so hard » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Lakers added a top 5 player in the offseason and yet LeBron still continue to dominate the on/off stats.
LeBron's net rating differential is +18.7.
Anthony Davis has a net differential of -2.9.

LeBron is the only Laker with a negative off-court net rating at -6.
That means when he sits the Lakers start losing to their opponent at a rate of 6 points per 100 possessions.

The next best on the Lakers is Green with an off-court rating of +3.1
The Lakers are still beating opponents by 3 points per 100 possessions even when he sits.

Davis has an off-court rating of +9.8
The Lakers are beating opponents by 10 points per 100 possessions when Davis sits.
Only Kuzma, Dudley and Daniels improve the Lakers more when sitting.

It's still early in the season and the stats may improve without LeBron but even with a superstar and role players the team looks like it really needs LeBron around.

This is hardly surprising. AD is not quite adept at creating for himself and others. When Lebron sits, our offense is quite stagnant. Lebron is unquestionably the engine of this team. Our coaching staff needs to do a better job with our offense... we have a long way to go in this department. Our defense also suffer as a result of our inept offense, especially when Lebron sits.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#18 » by Kilroy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Too much LeBron though... Over the last few games Howard AD and McGee have been much less effective as a group. We need more from Howard and McGee...
KCP heating up is timely... We need Bradly back because apparently, he's our entire defensive identity...

And we need more consistent offense from the rest of our guys to have more flow and balance, and take the weight off AD and LeBron a little.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#19 » by Beethoven » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm

Yeah it has been "all that jelly and no toast" for the Lakers and Lebron..as Denzel Washington would say.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#20 » by zimpy27 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm

Kilroy wrote:Too much LeBron though... Over the last few games Howard AD and McGee have been much less effective as a group. We need more from Howard and McGee...
KCP heating up is timely... We need Bradly back because apparently, he's our entire defensive identity...

And we need more consistent offense from the rest of our guys to have more flow and balance, and take the weight off AD and LeBron a little.

It really is just LeBron though.

No other team in the top 4 of either conference has a player that when he sits the team starts losing. LeBron is it.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Los Angeles Lakers