3%

Total votes: 75

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#401 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:37 pm

LesGrossman wrote:As i said before, the biggest things he'll do for this team are not reflected in any of those numbers. Measure his contribution in one relevant stat: W/L.

Yeah, I don't care about his stats...people get hung up on individual #s. I care about how he leads the team, sets an example, and translates into W/L. Nash didn't care about his #s either...he cared about getting other guys going and winning.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#402 » by SunsLyf3 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:04 pm

spanishninja wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
minami wrote:
Well it was him who said that. I distinguish the two Serbians.

And after visiting the Jazz forum they are (gladly) very happy for Ricky.

Nvm i just misread the post.

But yeah Ricky is playing at a very high level that if it carries over into the reg season we're in for a pleassnt surprise.

if he is this good during the season, I don't see it as a surprise as much as that we actually knew what we were doing by paying him.

We're going to be in for a surprise cause that means our teams floor will be higher and net us better results than expected. Currently the Nat'l media has us at around 27 wins, while the local media is talking 32-35 wins. If Rubios play carries over then we're probably looking at 40-45 wins and surprising the league :D .
b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Post#403 » by b-ball forever » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 am

OT : We'll soon be starting our annual Realgm Suns Fantasy Basketball Leagues, and there will be some spots available. So, if any of our new Spanish fans (or anybody else as well for that matter) is interested in joining our Leagues this year, please post here : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1890450

Now, back to talking about how great it is to finally have a legit PG again :D
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#404 » by Saberestar » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:46 pm

Read on Twitter
sunsfever68
Sixth Man
And1: 310

Post#405 » by sunsfever68 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:23 pm

Ricky is going to help Mikal the most. Mikal needs a real pg the most of anyone. Booker and Oubre can get their own shots, they'll definitely benefit, but Mikal and Ayton will be the biggest winners from having a real point guard.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#406 » by bwgood77 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 2:56 am

From The Athletic, as mentioned in the Season Speculation thread...

1. After prolonged point-guard instability, the Suns finally signed savvy distributor Ricky Rubio as a free agent. Besides team offensive rating and Rubio’s personal assist average, what are some advanced numbers that will help illustrate Rubio’s impact on the Suns’ entire offense? First of all, I think it’s important to acknowledge that Rubio has long graded out as an exceptional defensive point guard by a number of my preferred measures. In particular, Rubio excels at creating turnovers both in his individual steal numbers and more holistic floor time impact measures, and creating live ball turnovers almost always helps an offense.

Looking more specifically at the offensive side of the ball, Rubio’s positives and negatives are fairly well established at this point. He’s a reluctant scorer who has become borderline passable on catch and shoot 3s from an accuracy standpoint (34.6 percent over the last three seasons) while his low volume still means defenders help off of him a lot. He is also a very poor rim finisher against a contest, hitting only 50 percent of his shots from inside 10 feet with a defender within 4 feet of him.

On the other hand, he has typically helped his teams suppress their own turnover rates, and in his Minnesota days, appeared to have decently positive impact on team shooting and overall scoring efficiency. In Utah, best estimates place him as a slight drag offensively, but if you’re a Suns optimist you note that Phoenix will have far more shooting around Rubio than did the Jazz, perhaps better comping to his Wolves’ days where his weakness as a shooter wasn’t magnified by similar deficiencies across the lineup.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#407 » by Dual » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:29 am

What Rubio has improved a lot last 2 seasons is finishing around the rim, that for me was a bigger problem in the past than his shooting tbh.
I cant wait to see this Suns with Ricky.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#408 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Oct 7, 2019 5:59 pm

bwgood77 wrote:From The Athletic, as mentioned in the Season Speculation thread...

1. After prolonged point-guard instability, the Suns finally signed savvy distributor Ricky Rubio as a free agent. Besides team offensive rating and Rubio’s personal assist average, what are some advanced numbers that will help illustrate Rubio’s impact on the Suns’ entire offense? First of all, I think it’s important to acknowledge that Rubio has long graded out as an exceptional defensive point guard by a number of my preferred measures. In particular, Rubio excels at creating turnovers both in his individual steal numbers and more holistic floor time impact measures, and creating live ball turnovers almost always helps an offense.

Looking more specifically at the offensive side of the ball, Rubio’s positives and negatives are fairly well established at this point. He’s a reluctant scorer who has become borderline passable on catch and shoot 3s from an accuracy standpoint (34.6 percent over the last three seasons) while his low volume still means defenders help off of him a lot. He is also a very poor rim finisher against a contest, hitting only 50 percent of his shots from inside 10 feet with a defender within 4 feet of him.

On the other hand, he has typically helped his teams suppress their own turnover rates, and in his Minnesota days, appeared to have decently positive impact on team shooting and overall scoring efficiency. In Utah, best estimates place him as a slight drag offensively, but if you’re a Suns optimist you note that Phoenix will have far more shooting around Rubio than did the Jazz, perhaps better comping to his Wolves’ days where his weakness as a shooter wasn’t magnified by similar deficiencies across the lineup.

This one issue contributed to more Suns losses than any other single stat last year. If he can help with this, it will be significant.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#409 » by Saberestar » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#410 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Read on Twitter
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#411 » by PharmD » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:57 pm

My uncle runs a charity for the homeless in Minneapolis and Ricky used to stop by pretty frequently. And he didn’t even bring a camera crew like Cris Carter used to.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#412 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:27 am

For those who don't know Minnesota and its winters...

PharmD's uncle is saving lifes and that's not a figure of speech.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#413 » by PharmD » Sun Nov 3, 2019 6:31 am

sunsfever68 wrote:Ricky is going to help Mikal the most. Mikal needs a real pg the most of anyone. Booker and Oubre can get their own shots, they'll definitely benefit, but Mikal and Ayton will be the biggest winners from having a real point guard.

I feel like those 2 have really good chemistry. Mikal is a really clever player and a great cutter. Like you said, Mikal benefits a lot from a smart PG that can find him on those cuts. And Ricky needs guys to make those types of cuts; if the ball gets stuck in his hands he's in trouble.

Bored with extra hour overnight at work so I made some Ricky gifs.

Great Mikal cut:

Spoiler:

Reminds me of this terrific one from opening night:

Spoiler:

I'd like to see the 2 of them play together more. But Ricky and Oubre are working great together in the open court! When the ball is at half court here or even at the arc are you picturing one more dribble and an Oubre dunk?

Spoiler:
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#414 » by RiRuHoops » Sun Nov 3, 2019 9:14 am

I think Ricky misses Ayton the most on the team. He has no real target at the rim, no alleyoop outlet. Tonight he tried to lob to Baynes and it failed. His assist #s are suffering.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#415 » by LesGrossman » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:15 am

RiRuSuns wrote:I think Ricky misses Ayton the most on the team. He has no real target at the rim, no alleyoop outlet. Tonight he tried to lob to Baynes and it failed. His assist #s are suffering.

I think Oubre could be that target. He is fearless, i wonder how he got away with this style without severe injury.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#416 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:30 pm

PharmD wrote:
sunsfever68 wrote:Ricky is going to help Mikal the most. Mikal needs a real pg the most of anyone. Booker and Oubre can get their own shots, they'll definitely benefit, but Mikal and Ayton will be the biggest winners from having a real point guard.

I feel like those 2 have really good chemistry. Mikal is a really clever player and a great cutter. Like you said, Mikal benefits a lot from a smart PG that can find him on those cuts. And Ricky needs guys to make those types of cuts; if the ball gets stuck in his hands he's in trouble.

Bored with extra hour overnight at work so I made some Ricky gifs.

Great Mikal cut:

Spoiler:

Reminds me of this terrific one from opening night:

Spoiler:

I'd like to see the 2 of them play together more. But Ricky and Oubre are working great together in the open court! When the ball is at half court here or even at the arc are you picturing one more dribble and an Oubre dunk?

Spoiler:

Another reason I'd love Mikal in the starting lineup. Benefitting from Rubio, superior team D next to Book and general team play. I don't think Oubre will be moved out of starting lineup but think it would be wise.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#417 » by Dual » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:53 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
RiRuSuns wrote:I think Ricky misses Ayton the most on the team. He has no real target at the rim, no alleyoop outlet. Tonight he tried to lob to Baynes and it failed. His assist #s are suffering.

I think Oubre could be that target. He is fearless, i wonder how he got away with this style without severe injury.

Yeah but he dont do the pick, that's why Ayton is missed.
Dont be mistaken, Baynes is god.
But Ricky is suffering of not having Ayton the most that's for sure.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#418 » by LesGrossman » Sun Nov 3, 2019 2:31 pm

Dual wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:

Yeah but he dont do the pick, that's why Ayton is missed.
Dont be mistaken, Baynes is god.
But Ricky is suffering of not having Ayton the most that's for sure.

True. I havent seen much from Ayton i admit, but i cant imagine his screens have the quality of "bad news Baynes" :D maybe horns set would work well, with Baynes AND Ayton, where Baynes pops and Ayton rolls hard.Booker and Oubre / Bridges for the 3 or backdoor cut behind the help. Old school Nash / Stoudemire / Marion / Barbosa like.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#419 » by hollywood6964 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 2:35 pm

Rubio is suffering the most not being able to shoot. His is worse than I thought. It looks like a high schoolers who's having troubles. It's really going to hinder the sun's against tougher teams n if we can get to the playoffs.
LesGrossman
Head Coach

Post#420 » by LesGrossman » Sun Nov 3, 2019 2:36 pm

Besides, yes the assist numbers suffer but he is all about winning. I verified the eye test and looked up at NBA.COM, he is leading the team in fouls drawn as he was with every other team, no matter what "superstars" he played alongside. From a defensive viewpoint i feel like Baynes is the superior partner compared to Ayton as of now. He will teach people not to try layups.

Its too bad that in public perception his contribution doesnt get much respect (judging from articles, fan posts, votings etc.); if he just scored 25 and played no defense people would talk about him 24/7 regardless of the team success. Those simple basic stats have taken precedence over W/L, eye test, character, environment etc..
Edit: LOL we posted at the same time. You prove my point perfectly, but i didnt intend to comment on your post there.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Return to Phoenix Suns