Why can't Knicks just be a good team?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Percentsign
Senior
And1: 652

Why can't Knicks just be a good team? 

Post#1 » by Percentsign » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:49 pm

How can they be so bad for so long?
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Re: Why can't Knicks just be a good team? 

Post#2 » by goober » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:52 pm

Lack of consistency and team culture. This comes directly from the front office. Hard to build something when people are repeatedly on the hot seat. Once the Knicks can have some consistency and continuity in the front office, they will draft and develop great players, be an attractive FA spot, and could be a contender for years
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#3 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:54 pm

The Knicks haven't re-signed a first round pick beyond their rookie contract since Charlie Ward in the mid 90's.

Mismanagement at the highest level.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,440

Post#4 » by robillionaire » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:54 pm

trust the process lol

the 76ers are a good team, they had to lose for a long ass time to get there. We got RJ who is looking nice and now we need to cash in on about 4 more years of first round picks hope to get lucky on a couple more and we'll see where we are
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#5 » by sfernald » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:54 pm

Owner, simple as that.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,710

Post#6 » by Romeiro Celtic » Mon Nov 4, 2019 2:58 pm

Mainly James Dolan + bad front office, bad management, constantly giving away assets, bad management of players, drama, Melo situation etc.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#7 » by Swish1906 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:01 pm

Worst management over the past 20 years (ok toe to toe with the old Sterling Clippers).

But the same time non stop excuses by the fanbase "Yes we know our management sucks BUT bla this bla that....player xy sucked anyway, player xy is a diva....player xy wasnt tough enough for New York". All these excuses of course peaking since the KP trade.

But i always cringe when i read about this "lack of NY toughness".

I thought with the KP trade that the Knicks had allready tampered with Kyrie/KD. But them both choosing the freaking Nets over the Knicks tells everything about what the players think about the Knicks management.

I mean just this "stat" is so freaking insane....

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1091097448569884674&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fhoopshype.com%2F2019%2F02%2F01%2Fkristaps-porzingis-trade-analysis-new-york-knicks-second-contract%2F
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#8 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:02 pm

Bad ownership, bad front office, bad player management, bad player development and lack of talent.

That's all.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,702

Post#9 » by -Sammy- » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:03 pm

Seriously-- it may seem trite and simplistic to respond with 'Dolan' whenever criticisms come against the Knicks, but when we're talking about a period of futility spanning decades, at some point we have to look at the common denominator across all those wasted seasons.

Is it a coincidence that 1999 is both the year the Knicks made their last Finals appearance and the year Dolan took over?
Is it a coincidence that like the Knicks, the Clippers suffered decades of futility under Dolan's west-coast counterpart, Donald Sterling, who had a similar reputation for being a poor owner? Culture is a top-down property.

I love that city; its basketball fans deserve better than what they've been given.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#10 » by Forte IV » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:04 pm

Bad ownership. Starts from the top and trickles down. Look at the Clippers. They were bad for years because of Donald Sterling. The team had a promising young core in the early 2000s and he chose to let two of them walk when it came time to pay them. He was incredibly cheap and it trickles down throughout the organization. Hell, even when the team had its best years ever in the early 2010s he basically ruined it. Having a good owner is everything in sports. The Clippers have Steve Ballmer now and the team looks to have sustainable success for the foreseeable future.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#11 » by Buzzard » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:05 pm

I think they made a good pick this year in RJ. They are a long ways off still and hopefully they did not destroy their cap flexibility this past off season.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#12 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:07 pm

Buzzard wrote:I think they made a good pick this year in RJ, They are a long ways off still and hopefully they did not destroy their cap flexibility this past off season.

They are in a decent position. I like RJ. The million dollar question is can they be patient? Can they develop players? We will see.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#13 » by Hipster Doofus » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:09 pm

NYC too distracting.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,376

Post#14 » by HoopsterJones » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:20 pm

There are a lot of factors that go into it:

Ownership. James Dolan is impatient, stubborn and overtly arrogant. Probably a key contributor to the negatively viewed culture surrounding the Knicks organization.

Management. The FO has made a number of hasty decisions with a mandate to win now to appease ownership and the fan base. This leads to handing out bloated contracts for middling players. You have to build upon the players you have or draft players with built up draft capital. Instead they trade away picks for Eddy Curry and Bargnani. Gutting their roster for Melo so he can get paid more was also a headscratcher. The Porzingis dump was inexcusable. The lottery draft picks the Knicks did keep have also not planned out (Sweetney, Frye, Hill, Ntilikina). I do like RJ Barrett a lot as a good player for them going forward.

Coaching. The Knicks have had a staggering 20 different head coaches over the last 40 years! The longest tenured coaches last 4 years. There’s a lack of continuity if your coach is constantly on the hot seat and sent packing.

Players. Some players acquired were either past their primes (Francis, Billups, Noah, Rose), overrated (Marbury, Melo), or couldn’t stay healthy (Amare, McDyess). Knicks never keep their own drafted players when they have picks beyond their rookie contract. So the player culture is a revolving door.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#15 » by Showdown » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:25 pm

Newyorkers aren't in position to be straight forward anymore so they need to change their tune
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#16 » by Ferulci » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:26 pm

buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#17 » by tribulations » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:26 pm

I honestly feel like they were turning a corner before they gutted the team to trade for Melo. Maxing him out when he was a free agent wasn't particularly bright either. The trade though.. just so impatient and short sighted.

I'd like to see them do well again but hey, Knicks gonna Knick. They are the Clippers of Gen Z.

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,346

Post#18 » by Phish Tank » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:27 pm

problems were sown were long before Dolan too:

1) Lack of interest in young players
2) Never surrounding Ewing with real sidekicks
3) Refusal to modernize late 90s to 2000s

the list goes on.
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,243

Post#19 » by RoxSteady » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:33 pm

Percentsign wrote:How can they be so bad for so long?

Donnie Walsh and Glenn Glunwald were the only competent GM's/POBO's (Bargnani trade aside) they've had in the past 20 years... the rest have been bad to awful. Perry has procured Mitchell Robinson and RJ Barrett but you can't say much else for him.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#20 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Nov 4, 2019 3:37 pm

We never built through the draft (until now) and Knicks management always been a step behind in terms of adjusting to the evolution of the game (still valid today). This franchise loves old narratives and doesn’t value analytics nearly enough to build a culture and a system that are conducive to winning.

Draft one franchise player though, and the wins will come one day or another.

Donnie Walsh, Phil Jackson and Scott Perry are basketball conservatives. Perry’s more rational than Phil, but he’s not a forward-thinking visionary either. His free agent signings would tend to prove that.

Return to The General Board