Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Re: Assessing Expectations for Trae in Year 2 

Post#61 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 4, 2019 4:43 pm

shakes0 wrote:any word yet on Trae's availability? Three home games in 4 days starting Tuesday.

Sounds like they are playing it by ear and will make a decision public on gameday.

Code: Select all

He is currently listed as day-to-day, a positive prognosis after what seemingly could have been a devastating injury.
Oct 30th
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#62 » by jayu70 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 4:58 pm

shakes0 wrote:any word yet on Trae's availability? Three home games in 4 days starting Tuesday.

With a back to back I'm wondering if the hold him out until Wednesday for an extra day?
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,955

Post#63 » by shakes0 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 5:19 pm

he looked good to go Thursday. At one point I saw Collins chastising him for getting out of his seat so much to cheer lead rather than resting the ankle. Gonna be tough for management to keep him off the court tomorrow.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 4, 2019 6:04 pm

Trae was at #2 on this list before the injury.

Remaining in the top-10 is still pretty nice:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#65 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 6, 2019 4:02 pm

The Atlanta Hawks are, effectively, 3-1 this season when Trae Young has played [a full game], with their only loss coming by two points to the one-loss Philadelphia 76ers.

Young has been off the charts to start the season. Through Tuesday, he's averaging 27.2 points and 8.4 assists on 50 percent shooting from three. What we're seeing from Young this season is something different than we saw in his rookie season, when he was terrific as a passer and overall scorer but was [not] the lights-out shooter people expected he'd be coming out of college.

This season, he has been a straight-up killer, hunting his shot all over the court and from absurd distances. And he's hitting these shots in big moments. These are not stat stuffers. These are ice-cold, team-carrying daggers. Even when he's not scoring, he's picking defenses apart with his handle and ability to get into the lane, and his passing is a work of art. Young is quickly becoming must-watch television. He's tracking for an All-Star bid. Heck, at this point he's tracking for an All-NBA bid. He has a monster challenge in front of him keeping the Hawks afloat over these next 24 games that Collins is out.
CBS Sports

jayu70
RealGM

Post#66 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#67 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Just because...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

^I believe those rankings are Eastern Conference specific.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#68 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:29 pm

FTR, Trae has easily surpassed all my very modest expectations this season.
(And exceeded my irrationally optimistic expectations, too!!!)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#70 » by ATL Boy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Man, I hate that he suffered that injury against the Heat. Not only would we have won at least one of those matchups against them, but that second quarter total wouldn't be anchoring his PPG and APG down right now
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Linked for years to come...

The 25 Best Starts from NBA's Best Young Stars and Prospects

Read on Twitter

1. Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks

2. Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks

Trae Young is kind of, sort of not from this planet. His brand of shot-making is shared by two or three other active players.

That Young is hitting only 31.5 percent of his pull-up threes doesn't invite much concern. His attempts continue to tilt toward the ridiculously hard end of the spectrum. He's 7-of-11 from distance (63.6 percent) when a defender is within four feet, and 60 percent of his made triples have been unassisted. Damian Lillard is the only player who has launched more looks beyond 27 feet away from the basket, and Young is shooting 36.4 percent from that range.

Defenses are rarely settled when Young gets inside the arc. His vision is sorcery, and he isn't making as many mistakes coming around ball screens.

Ankles will break when bigs switch onto him, but Young doesn't need readily exploitable match-ups to incite havoc. He is so comfortable with his floater—the timing, the arc of it, everything—that he's almost unreadable in traffic.

Detonations have become the standard, but his game doesn't give way to complacent reaction. Every possession is a potential open-jawed reel, and the Atlanta Hawks offense doesn't have the depth to function without his 26.3 points and 8.4 assists per game on the floor.
Bleacher Reports
jayu70
RealGM

Post#72 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:05 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#73 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#74 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter

There are two ways to view the Steph Curry-fication of basketball. The curmudgeonly take — one that does, in fairness, have some merit — is that relentlessly hoisting up threes from all over the court takes away some of the artfulness of the game. The other way to view it is that when a player is able to acquire that skill of seemingly limitless range, my goodness, is it fun to watch.

With that in mind, Trae Young was incredible in Atlanta’s recent 125-121 win over the Denver Nuggets, going for 42 points on 13-for-21 shooting from the field and 8-for-13 shooting from deep while pitching in 11 assists. It’s the latest performance in what has been a torrid start for Young this season, as the sophomore guard and Rookie of the Year runner-up has managed to look like the version of himself that made scouts salivate during his All-American campaign during his only season at Oklahoma.

For how much attention his shooting gets, Young does not get nearly enough credit for being one of the best passers on earth. He led the nation in assist rate at Oklahoma, and as a n NBA rookie finished third in this metric. Young’s passing makes opponents respect his shooting and vice versa. Through nine games, Young has been a supernova from downtown. Young is hitting on 40.2 percent from deep per game and sits in sixth in the league in scoring, averaging a 28 points a night.

It certainly helps that Atlanta is basically putting the ball in his hands and letting him get to work -- the Hawks have given Young the keys to the car and he’s responded by having it go faster than ever before. Keeping it up is the big thing, because it would put him in an excellent position to make an All-Star team for the first time in his young career, and making sure these numbers aren’t for empty calories for a squad that misses the postseason would be awfully nice. But on a much larger scale, Young is showing us that when executed at its best, the Steph Curry-fication of basketball can be a wonderful thing.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Even with little-to-no help, Trae Young still putting up All Star caliber numbers:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by shakes0 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I don't really follow stats too closely, but is there a way to find out if Trae is being double teamed more than any other player in the league? At least that's what I think such a stat will show.

When he was at OU I said he was going to have an easier time scoring in the NBA because unlike college, NBA teams won't be be picking him up with 3/4 and half court double teams on every possession like they did in college. I guess I spoke too soon.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#77 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:53 pm

shakes0 wrote:I don't really follow stats too closely, but is there a way to find out if Trae is being double teamed more than any other player in the league? At least that's what I think such a stat will show.

When he was at OU I said he was going to have an easier time scoring in the NBA because unlike college, NBA teams won't be be picking him up with 3/4 and half court double teams on every possession like they did in college. I guess I spoke too soon.

You ain't kidding, brother.

Watching a video recap of Trae's turnovers due to all the double-teaming Lakers did to him is frustrating since we currently have no one capable of stepping up and abusing the 3-on-4 elsewhere in the play.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by shakes0 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
shakes0 wrote:I don't really follow stats too closely, but is there a way to find out if Trae is being double teamed more than any other player in the league? At least that's what I think such a stat will show.

You ain't kidding, brother.

Watching a video recap of Trae's turnovers due to all the double-teaming Lakers did to him is frustrating since we currently have no one capable of stepping up and abusing the 3-on-4 elsewhere in the play.

we also apparently have no one capable of setting a decent screen anymore. Parker barely touches a guy when he sets a screen as it is obvious he is just doing that so Trae can attract the double and he can slip the screen and get open. He has no intention of trying to free Trae up. Jones is pretty much the dumbest player in the NBA so setting good screens is definitely above his pay grade. Len tries, but he's so slow it makes his rolls to the hole almost useless and he's showing this year that any good 3 point shooting he did last year was most likely a fluke.

It's pretty much Trae on an island now.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#79 » by kg01 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:My takeaways from that article:

• Trae has noticeably put on weight.
  • He's willingly taking on a role as team leader.
  • He is aware of his defensive deficiencies.
  • His father has stepped away from being his primary trainer.
  • He's working with Kobe...on mid range shooting?!?

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

The rest, take with a grain of salt. (It helps if you can read the entire article.)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

kg01 wrote:Dang, do I sound like stu? :o :(

I just want everyone to know that @Cleo-liver is abusing his mod powers. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, @Cleo.

Free the proletariat!!
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#80 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Return to Atlanta Hawks