Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: GM 6: Lakers @ San Antonio 7:00pm 

Post#141 » by Landsberger » Tue Nov 5, 2019 3:30 am

iamworthy wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
iamworthy wrote:We are still a below league average 3pt shooting team. Hopefully that improves as time goes on.

Yet we're 5-1. When you can score in the paint like we can and force FT's like we can 3's become less important to us than most other teams.

For sure. I just don't know how this plays out against top tier teams

Oh I get it for sure. We have guys who have historically shot well and haven't over the last few games. No one is a 40% shooter from 3 every night.... it's a streak shot by it's very nature. I'm sure we're about due for a 21-32 from 3 game pretty soon. It's just nice we can fall back to a devastating attack at the basket as well.

My only concern is our rebounding. How can a team with Bron, Davis and Howard be middle of the pack in defensive rebounding?
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#142 » by kblo247 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 8:30 am

iamworthy wrote:
kblo247 wrote:
iamworthy wrote:We are still a below league average 3pt shooting team. Hopefully that improves as time goes on.

Who sets up good looks though? I mean I do t want Caruso, Cook, or Daniels trying to set it up or find their own. But if that’s Rondo the passes are on point, in pocket, with the shooters set. Rondo himself and his 36% threes will help

Without having any data to back this up, I don't think we have a problem with getting guys open to hit shots.... Guys are just not hitting uncontested jumpers. defenses are collapsing when LeBron goes to the rack or when AD is in the low post. Guys are just missing.

I think we got our signals crossed. I'm not saying AD and Bron don't get you open. They get you open. I'm saying they don't deliver the ball perfectly to the open guy. Bron is throwing passes that are low, high, deflected. AD has never had passing declared as a strong suit, in fact Cousins blew him away as a passer when they paired up originally.

I'm saying Rondo will hit a shooter on a shooter's rhythm and motion, right on money in the shooting pocket with set feet, where they don't have to dribble, extend high to catch, or bend over low to catch and then gather and shoot. I think Rondo blows everyone away on the roster in that regard because he got used to doing it with Allen and Pierce
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#143 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 4:12 pm

kblo247 wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
kblo247 wrote:Who sets up good looks though? I mean I do t want Caruso, Cook, or Daniels trying to set it up or find their own. But if that’s Rondo the passes are on point, in pocket, with the shooters set. Rondo himself and his 36% threes will help

Without having any data to back this up, I don't think we have a problem with getting guys open to hit shots.... Guys are just not hitting uncontested jumpers. defenses are collapsing when LeBron goes to the rack or when AD is in the low post. Guys are just missing.

I think we got our signals crossed. I'm not saying AD and Bron don't get you open. They get you open. I'm saying they don't deliver the ball perfectly to the open guy. Bron is throwing passes that are low, high, deflected. AD has never had passing declared as a strong suit, in fact Cousins blew him away as a passer when they paired up originally.

I'm saying Rondo will hit a shooter on a shooter's rhythm and motion, right on money in the shooting pocket with set feet, where they don't have to dribble, extend high to catch, or bend over low to catch and then gather and shoot. I think Rondo blows everyone away on the roster in that regard because he got used to doing it with Allen and Pierce

Rondo will make better passes at the perfect time etc but he's no longer a very good defender and therefore would be sort of liability on defense etc.
Lakers right now lead the league in Def rating, blocked shots, 5th opponents pts in the paint, 7th in steals, 10th in defensive rebounding etc.https://stats.nba.com/teams/defense/?sort=OPP_PTS_2ND_CHANCE&dir=-1
Lakers I believe are being disciplined in defense, slowing the tempo and playing to their strengths therefore shooters like Cook and Daniels are getting less touches and therefore are having a hard time get into a nice shooting rhythm, 27th in 3ptFG attempts %, playing into their strengths by getting AD the ball and let him dominate. They ranked 4th in 2ptFG attempts%.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#144 » by kblo247 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 9:17 pm

Cook and Daniels are not good defenders either and have never been. I would take Rondo getting their time easily. But I would play Caruso, KCP, Kuz, and Dwight all getting more minutes than him. I don't want 20-30 minute rondo. I want 10-15 minute Rondo available for most games and ready for the playoffs. Ideally Rondo and Javale play the least rotation minutes but are part of the 10 man rotation

Return to Los Angeles Lakers