ImageImageImage

The Jarrett Culver Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#361 » by wesleyt95 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:33 pm

wolfen wrote:Co-guards... If Culver is part of the future he of course will be heavily involved in handling the ball, making plays, etc. That being said, I think that it might be a good idea to find a guard to play opposite him that is kind of a 3 and D PG. Guys like Patty Mills, Pat Beverly, Dragic who are PG's but they're not 1A when it comes to setting guys up, making plays, etc. They can defend tough and nail shots to space the floor, and SHARE the play-making with a guy like Culver.

Do yourself a favor and watch a few Pels games and focus on Frank Jackson. He's a backup PG/SG who can play off the ball as well as help with the setup of things. Great athlete and tough defender too. The reason I mention him is because he'll be a restricted free agent next summer and he would be a GREAT fit next to Culver whether it's a bench pairing or starting pairing.

Jevon Carter is also a free agent next summer and he would be an affordable prototype as well, he'd be a rotational PG, not a starter, but he could get decent minutes opposite Culver.

VanVleet would be sweet (he's a free agent), but he'll re-sign in Toronto. Other than that, I don't see any other free agent PG's who would be somewhat affordable, that would fit our time-table, and would be 3 and D types.

Draft - We all know the upcoming draft is supposed to be "heavy" with quality PG's. Excellent news for us, but I can't speculate on any pg's at this point, need to watch 'em.

Trade - D-Lo - Something doesn't fit with me on D-Lo, he'll cost too much $, he's so ball dominant (bad for Culver, Wigs), and isn't a great defender. I just don't see us trading for a top 10 PG so we'll have to get this done in free agency AND the draft.

Wiggs at the 3 and Cov at the 4 makes us the scrawniest forward combo in the league! We need that spot for some size, there's PF's that can handle the ball too not to mention Wiggs/Towns can facilitate too
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#362 » by wolfen » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:25 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
wolfen wrote:Co-guards... If Culver is part of the future he of course will be heavily involved in handling the ball, making plays, etc. That being said, I think that it might be a good idea to find a guard to play opposite him that is kind of a 3 and D PG. Guys like Patty Mills, Pat Beverly, Dragic who are PG's but they're not 1A when it comes to setting guys up, making plays, etc. They can defend tough and nail shots to space the floor, and SHARE the play-making with a guy like Culver.

Do yourself a favor and watch a few Pels games and focus on Frank Jackson. He's a backup PG/SG who can play off the ball as well as help with the setup of things. Great athlete and tough defender too. The reason I mention him is because he'll be a restricted free agent next summer and he would be a GREAT fit next to Culver whether it's a bench pairing or starting pairing.

Jevon Carter is also a free agent next summer and he would be an affordable prototype as well, he'd be a rotational PG, not a starter, but he could get decent minutes opposite Culver.

VanVleet would be sweet (he's a free agent), but he'll re-sign in Toronto. Other than that, I don't see any other free agent PG's who would be somewhat affordable, that would fit our time-table, and would be 3 and D types.

Draft - We all know the upcoming draft is supposed to be "heavy" with quality PG's. Excellent news for us, but I can't speculate on any pg's at this point, need to watch 'em.

Trade - D-Lo - Something doesn't fit with me on D-Lo, he'll cost too much $, he's so ball dominant (bad for Culver, Wigs), and isn't a great defender. I just don't see us trading for a top 10 PG so we'll have to get this done in free agency AND the draft.

Wiggs at the 3 and Cov at the 4 makes us the scrawniest forward combo in the league! We need that spot for some size, there's PF's that can handle the ball too not to mention Wiggs/Towns can facilitate too

I really hope we get a stud PF in the future but I also hope that we throw out starting lineups based on the opponent going forward. If the opposition doesn't have beef up front then RoCo can start at the 4, if they do, said stud PF can start at the 4.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#363 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:26 am

Norseman79 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
Here is the deal, the Wolves would have probably one if Karl didn't play like garbage most of the game. Did you watch? I did. His defense was brutal, his effort was non-existent, and he settled for 11 3pa while making 3 of them while going 5/8 around the paint. If you are suggesting that Karl Towns needs to be created for, wouldn't that imply that he would produce when being set up?

Well since I did watch and I happen to be open to both sides of the coin, here might be the other side of the coin. That the mere fact we had a limited rookie starting as our PG forced KAT to play a different style of game. I've also already posted at length about the possibility of why not only KAT but everyone else was seemingly playing out of sorts. Maybe you should check those posts out if you are open to anything other than spin tales about unproven rookies.

How does a rookie PG starting have anything to do with your supposed best player's effort and shot selection? Did you see Kat posting and calling for the ball and not getting it? Did you see Karl crashing the offensive boards? Did you see Karl putting forth any effort on the defensive end other than standing flat-footed and occasionally jumping to try to block a shot? I am far from a Culver fan, I would say I am neutral on him right now, that being said, to suggest that it didn't work overall and tie it to him.

Maybe because of what they wanted for Culvers first start, Kat was asked not to sit in the post. Ever think the coaches might have been trying to help Culver have a decent firsat start, and shuffling things around in order to help make that happen?

Things were different for a very good reason. Missing both Teague and Napier and replacing with a rookie being shoehorned in as a PG to start, and then pulling up a Gleague guy before he's even playing in the Gleague. The team overall wasn't ready for this need.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#364 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:28 am

wesleyt95 wrote:Wiggs at the 3 and Cov at the 4 makes us the scrawniest forward combo in the league! We need that spot for some size, there's PF's that can handle the ball too not to mention Wiggs/Towns can facilitate too

Is it just me, or does Covington seem more scrawny this season? I can see how shedding some weight might help his knee issue, but I don't really see how it helps him compete at the 4 better or sustain contact better.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#365 » by wesleyt95 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:57 am

Jedzz wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:Wiggs at the 3 and Cov at the 4 makes us the scrawniest forward combo in the league! We need that spot for some size, there's PF's that can handle the ball too not to mention Wiggs/Towns can facilitate too

Is it just me, or does Covington seem more scrawny this season? I can see how shedding some weight might help his knee issue, but I don't really see how it helps him compete at the 4 better or sustain contact better.

He's an asset at the 3, liability at the 4 against bigger teams
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#366 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:16 am

wesleyt95 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I think I agree and am more concerned that he gets injured playing against the bigger rosters. I wanhim at his best position to play his singular best. It was special often enough last season.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 199

Post#367 » by Battletrigger » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:40 am

Jedzz wrote:
Battletrigger wrote:Jedzz, you are a Culver hater since the beginning, before the preseason started. Only need to look for the messages where you said Nowell was the big deal and Culver nothing special.

Well I've never seen your name here before so it doesn't surprise me that your suggesting I said something that I did not.

I have said and did say that Culver was not my dream draft choice and would have rather stayed at 11 and just taken a shooter. I also said that all my hopes from the draft picks reside in Nowell being the shooter at this level that he was in college because that's #1 exactly what this team needed. Of course as soon as I said the word "need" the draft pros get all itchy about that.

Low and behold the season is upon us and what is it that is glaring that this team needs more than anything else? Shooting skilled players and it's not even close. I'll rest on my prior words about that all season long. Try not to confuse them.

Culver hater? It's more like I'm going to requre proof of all the hyped BS laid upon us about him and from those that will say anything right now to have him begin his reign as starting PG as soon as possible.

I don't understand the first paragraph, are you suggesting that if I don't post all days in all threads like you my opinion is less valid? :lol:
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#368 » by Jedzz » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:45 am

Battletrigger wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Battletrigger wrote:Jedzz, you are a Culver hater since the beginning, before the preseason started. Only need to look for the messages where you said Nowell was the big deal and Culver nothing special.

Well I've never seen your name here before so it doesn't surprise me that you're suggesting I said something that I did not.

I don't understand the first paragraph, are you suggesting that if I don't post all days in all threads like you my opinion is less valid? :lol:

What's not to understand. I'm not suggesting anything. I'm telling you that you are misquoting me and it doesn't surprise me. You are a Jedzz hater and making things up is a sign of that.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 199

Post#369 » by Battletrigger » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:57 am

Lol, I have never seen this before. A forum user hater? OMG :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's ok man, if you feel better believing that.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#370 » by wesleyt95 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:14 am

If Culver doesn't work at pg he's trade bait, Wiggins is about to have his best season ever
whatuptennessee
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#371 » by whatuptennessee » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:18 pm

I’ve been a Culver apologist, he’s hard to disliked but at what point do we stop using the “he’s young, he needs time”? I thought he’s more ready than most coming out of college, but it seems many other players in this year draft class have shown more than he has thus far.
I’m starting to worry because he reminds me of Evan Turner. A player that viewed as most ready in his class, does everything well, great attitude, good size, well rounded, etc. Hope I’m wrong yet fearful I’m right. Hope is all we have now. “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies” Andy Dufresne.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#372 » by Worm Guts » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:25 pm

whatuptennessee wrote:I’ve been a Culver apologist, he’s hard to disliked but at what point do we stop using the “he’s young, he needs time”? I thought he’s more ready than most coming out of college, but it seems many other players in this year draft class have shown more than he has thus far.
I’m starting to worry because he reminds me of Evan Turner. A player that viewed as most ready in his class, does everything well, great attitude, good size, well rounded, etc. Hope I’m wrong yet fearful I’m right. Hope is all we have now. “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies” Andy Dufresne.

I agree with you in terms of not being impressed, but we’re still less than 10 games into his rookie season. We’re still a long ways from the point where we stop saying “he needs time”.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 787

Post#373 » by vagelis » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:26 pm

Culver is not ready yet. I think he will need a lot of time to improve his game.
He can play pg but he cannot defend pgs. He has not the speed to guard pgs.
He cannot play sg because he is not a shooter.
He has an all around game but he is not special in something.
I think Okogie is above him right now because of his athleticism and his defense. Okogie has not talent offensively but he contributes with his energy and athleticism.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

Post#374 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:52 pm

whatuptennessee wrote:I’ve been a Culver apologist, he’s hard to disliked but at what point do we stop using the “he’s young, he needs time”?

How long did we wait for Andrew Wiggins?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#375 » by urinesane » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:17 pm

whatuptennessee wrote:I’ve been a Culver apologist, he’s hard to disliked but at what point do we stop using the “he’s young, he needs time”?

How old are you?

What is there to apologize for exactly? Why do people expect a 20 year old to thrive immediately in a very difficult league?

People are so unrealistic with their expectations and then write people off immediately when they don't meet those expectations.

HE'S 20 YEARS OLD. We'd be fortunate if he starts looking like a legit NBA player by the end of the season.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#376 » by andyhop » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:37 am

He should be in the G League learning how to play whatever the role he is penciled in for in the future, because he needs minutes but isn't deserving of any in the NBA at the moment.

Get Teague back and then send him down.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#377 » by wesleyt95 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:12 pm

andyhop wrote:He should be in the G League learning how to play whatever the role he is penciled in for in the future, because he needs minutes but isn't deserving of any in the NBA at the moment.

Get Teague back and then send him down.

No. So what he had a bad game against GSW, it was Wiggins night. After WAS and MEM game he's proven he belongs with the big boys and he's gonna keep proving doubters wrong. It seems like the Wiggins hate has transferred to Culver, its only been 8 games into his rookie year give him time.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#378 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:25 pm

wesleyt95 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

NEVER a liability.
wesleyt95
Rookie

Post#379 » by wesleyt95 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:55 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

NEVER a liability.

U might as well change your username to RoCodaBom
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#380 » by Jedzz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 pm

urinesane wrote:

How old are you?

What is there to apologize for exactly? Why do people expect a 20 year old to thrive immediately in a very difficult league?

People are so unrealistic with their expectations and then write people off immediately when they don't meet those expectations.

HE'S 20 YEARS OLD. We'd be fortunate if he starts looking like a legit NBA player by the end of the season.

It's because he's being handed starting roles that the expectation goes so high. The need already had the fever up. The drafts spin up the fever that he can solve this need. But the Coaches putting him into starting roles too early is exactly what will earn him criticism. If he's allowed to slowly earn more minutes from a bench role, if he can prove he deserves more, then people will afford him rookie learning time to get there. It's on Rosas and the Coaches for pushing this forward. Less than ten games in and already starting should be reserved for players instantly showing they can handle it all, not for a player that instantly showed that he wasn't quite there yet.

Even with the injury to Napier and sickness or whatever the excuse was for Teague, the team should have moved to bring in a short term Vet before choosing to start Culver at PG this early. We never learn here. Throwing away games on development is just too much a way of life with this team.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves