If Wiggins keeps up his good play, would you offer your expiring for him?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Would you take new and improved Wiggins?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 54

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

If Wiggins keeps up his good play, would you offer your expiring for him? 

Post#1 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:12 am

So hear me out. Andrew Wiggins has been actually decent to start out this year. Let's say he keeps up what he's doing, maybe even gets a percent or two more efficient. Then Minnesota calls your team up right before the trade deadline and offers you Wiggins for your expiring deals (or your made up expiring deals). If you're the gm, would you do it?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Re: If Wiggins keeps up his good play, would you offer your expiring for him? 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:14 pm

No. He’s worked himself up to “replacement player” caliber, but not to a point where he’d be desirable in any way. He’s still afraid to attack the rim and get to the line, unlike the beginning of his career. I’d still rather roll with my “expirings” and just shop on any exceptions each year for a one or two year filler like a Justin Holiday type.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#3 » by YourBuddy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:18 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:No. He’s worked himself up to “replacement player” caliber, but not to a point where he’d be desirable in any way. He’s still afraid to attack the rim and get to the line, unlike the beginning of his career. I’d still rather roll with my “expirings” and just shop on any exceptions each year for a one or two year filler like a Justin Holiday type.

He is taking the highest percentage of his shots from the paint and from 3 in his career so far this season.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 917

Post#4 » by jscott » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:20 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:No. He’s worked himself up to “replacement player” caliber, but not to a point where he’d be desirable in any way. He’s still afraid to attack the rim and get to the line, unlike the beginning of his career. I’d still rather roll with my “expirings” and just shop on any exceptions each year for a one or two year filler like a Justin Holiday type.

He’s been attacking the rim. He was also very good at getting to the line the last season he was doing that.

I agree it will take some more play like this to rehab his value much at all but he is (mostly) taking the types of shots you’d want in today’s NBA.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:24 pm

Is he putting in effort on defense this year?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by YourBuddy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:26 pm

% of shots by distance for Wiggins

0-3': 33.3% - Career High
3-10': 26.5% - Career High
10-16':9.8% - Career Low
16-3pt line: 14.4% - Career Low
3pt line and out: 35.6% - Career High
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,651

Post#7 » by shrink » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:29 pm

I still don’t think he’s putting up great numbers, but he has had game winners in three games so far, including last night.

He does seem different though. But I’m no fan, and I won’t go farther than that.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,170

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:29 pm

Dlo scored a career high 52 on him last night. He's still in the bottom 20% when it comes to defenders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by YourBuddy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:38 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Dlo scored a career high 52 on him last night. He's still in the bottom 20% when it comes to defenders.

You gotta love when people just make stuff up like this. DLo scored 2 of his points when guarded by Wiggins last night.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#10 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:09 pm

I think Wiggins is going no where — and his improved play is cementing that fact for Wolves.

1. Wolves won’t attach any asset to move him. That probably turns off about 30%+ of GMs.
2. With his recent improved play, he is like a very very expensive asset finally producing positive income. Wolves didn’t dump bad money after bad money to trade him as he becomes less bad money.
3. Wolves aren’t a free agent destination so why free up cap? Unless Giannis and Towns have a secret bromance and Giannis commits to MN — no need for freed up cap in MN.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Post#11 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:10 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Dlo scored a career high 52 on him last night. He's still in the bottom 20% when it comes to defenders.

Complete bull. Maybe watch actual games instead of invent things out of thin air?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,410

Post#12 » by JRoy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:30 pm

No.

Fools gold.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#13 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:35 pm

If he finshed the season with the same stast you could talk me into sending expirings for him in the offseason.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#14 » by NYG » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:53 pm

Batum for Wiggins?
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#15 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:18 pm

Gold which is for fools.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:56 pm

jscott wrote:He’s been attacking the rim. He was also very good at getting to the line the last season he was doing that.

I agree it will take some more play like this to rehab his value much at all but he is (mostly) taking the types of shots you’d want in today’s NBA.

YourBuddy wrote:
He is taking the highest percentage of his shots from the paint and from 3 in his career so far this season.

I tell you what, you're both kind of right. However, he's not shooting the career high of attempts at the rim this year. Less than 27% of his attempts are inside of 3'. Over his career he's shot 31%, 32%, 29%, 22% and 26% of his attempts inside of 3', so he's nearer the bottom of his career than the top. He is, however, shooting a career high of attempts from 3'-10', though, which is kind of what I'm talking about. He's pulling up short. He's not attacking the rim. He's still shooting an extremely low amount of FTA (per game, per 36, per 100 pos) compared to his overall career. The guy who shot 6.6 FTA a night AND shot 36% from 3 on 3.5 attempts a night is someone that's intriguing, and what got him a max contract. He's putting up more points now than ever, but not really in the ways that seems to be most effective. Other guys can hit the 3 at a rate higher than 33%, especially at almost 7 attempts a night.
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by YourBuddy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jscott wrote:He’s been attacking the rim. He was also very good at getting to the line the last season he was doing that.

YourBuddy wrote:

I tell you what, you're both kind of right. However, he's not shooting the career high of attempts at the rim this year. Less than 27% of his attempts are inside of 3'. Over his career he's shot 31%, 32%, 29%, 22% and 26% of his attempts inside of 3', so he's nearer the bottom of his career than the top. He is, however, shooting a career high of attempts from 3'-10', though, which is kind of what I'm talking about. He's pulling up short. He's not attacking the rim. He's still shooting an extremely low amount of FTA (per game, per 36, per 100 pos) compared to his overall career. The guy who shot 6.6 FTA a night AND shot 36% from 3 on 3.5 attempts a night is someone that's intriguing, and what got him a max contract. He's putting up more points now than ever, but not really in the ways that seems to be most effective. Other guys can hit the 3 at a rate higher than 33%, especially at almost 7 attempts a night.

3-10' is anything inside the free throw line. Wiggins is attacking bigs constantly this year with floaters. Watch a game this isn't a guy settling for jumpers. Seems like we are shifting goal posts to consider a floater inside the free throw line not attacking the rim.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,651

Post#18 » by shrink » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:13 pm

YourBuddy wrote:

You gotta love when people just make stuff up like this. DLo scored 2 of his points when guarded by Wiggins last night.

What is particularly ironic about jbk’s fabrication is that he chose one of Wiggins’ best games to discredit him.

In a game with both of MIN’s PG’s out, he was asked to play the role we call “point-Wiggins,” and was the best player on the floor. He hit a game-tying bucket with 5 seconds left to get to Overtime, and hit the clinching 3 with 23 seconds left in OT to win it. His line:

45 MIN, 17-33 FG, 2-7 3’s, 5 RB, 7 AST, 0 TO, 3 BLK, 40 PTS

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Wiggs clutch numbers are ridiculous right now.

3-0
Net rtg of almost 30.
Most points in the league
60% on 3s
35% usg
Efg% 72
Ts 73

Weve seen him have great stretches before, but i don't think anyone could have predicted how dominant hes been in clutch situations this year.

Canuck is right. I wouldn’t have predicted it, and I’ve been burned by him too much to say this kind of play will continue. I will still wave my “small samples” flag. However, I’m not going to come down on the unscarred who think Wiggins might be worth an expiring.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#19 » by Prospect Dong » Sat Nov 9, 2019 11:44 pm

I'd seriously consider it for Memphis if he could bump his three point % up to league average while more-or-less maintaining volume and/or if the Twolves were willing to attach a lightly protected far future pick. Ideally I'd do it in the offseason rather than at the deadline, since we're actively tanking this season and, ex hypothesi, he would help us win games.

We need 1-2 starting-calibre wings who can shoot from 3 and handle high usage. Wiggins on a max shorter max deal for free is an overpay for that skillset, but maybe no worse than we'd end up doing in FA.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 am

YourBuddy wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

YourBuddy wrote:

3-10' is anything inside the free throw line. Wiggins is attacking bigs constantly this year with floaters. Watch a game this isn't a guy settling for jumpers. Seems like we are shifting goal posts to consider a floater inside the free throw line not attacking the rim.

I mean, by definition, a pull up floater just inside the free throw line is not attacking the rim. It's specifically pulling up short and avoiding contact and not getting to the rim.

Return to Trades and Transactions