2019-20 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Re: 2019-20 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#181 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 5:41 am

Looks like the media is calling for Emery's head. While I typically don't care for the media rallying narratives, I think I have to agree with them on this one. This team is going nowhere. My bud is a big Arsenal fan...so I keep half an eye on them. There's certainly folk who know much much more than me...but I haven't been happy with Emery almost from the start.

It was time for Arsene to leave, I get that. But this team is spiraling down the drain now. I don't see anything Emery has brought to the table. Perhaps a little harsh, but in any event..I'd start looking for a replacement if I were the top brass at Arsenal. This franchise is going in the wrong direction, and in a hurry.
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#182 » by tjumper78 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 6:30 pm

Baphomet wrote:That was an ugly game at Goodison between Spurs and Everton. Poor play, dead atmosphere, countless VAR stoppages, a horror injury on Andre Gomes, and Son being undeservedly sent off. Of course, with the resulting mass of injury time, Spurs inevitably conceded during it and lost their lead. A terrible watch.

the ref shat the bed badly.
saw that gomes' surgery was a success and they expect him to make full recovery.
also, just saw that the appeal for son's red card was also a success. good to hear because that's the correct decision but still shocked because i fully expected the FA to back up the ref.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#183 » by HIF » Wed Nov 6, 2019 9:45 am

My spurs supporting friend (I only have one) wants Eriksen and pochetino to leave ASAP. It's that your feeling too Bap? What is the general sentiment held by Spurs fans?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,592

Post#184 » by Baphomet » Wed Nov 6, 2019 8:21 pm

HIF wrote:My spurs supporting friend (I only have one) wants Eriksen and pochetino to leave ASAP. It's that your feeling too Bap? What is the general sentiment held by Spurs fans?

I think most fans have let go of Eriksen. He's been a fantastic servant of the club but it's clear he's got one foot out of the door, and it would be best for both parties if he moved on. We bought Lo Celso to wean in as his replacement, and he's clearly got a lot of quality even if he's not Eriksen level yet, so I think we're ready.

Poch is a more contentious issue. Most agree he's a good manager, our best since Bill Nic or Burkinshaw, but there's a belief that he can't take this team any further and has lost the dressing room. His game management is also absolutely abysmal for a top level manager. I'm still on the fence, I believe he's done so much good at this club to deserve time to turn things around. If at Christmas we're still sitting around mid table, it might be time to move on.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#185 » by The_Brecht » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:54 am

I completely trust Arsenal to get at least a point at Leicester this weekend, so I named Vardy my FPL captain.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
HIF
RealGM

Post#186 » by HIF » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:26 am

The_Brecht wrote:I completely trust Arsenal to get at least a point at Leicester this weekend, so I named Vardy my FPL captain.

It's a big game for both teams.

A win for Arsenal and they are right back in the fight for CL. A win for Leicester and a 9 point lead over Arsenal and an enlarged gap from top 4 to 5th.

Before the season I'd have been happy with a point in our quest for 7th. Now a draw would be a disappointment.

I really wish Xhaka was playing - you've got a lot better by dropping him.

HIF
RealGM

Post#187 » by HIF » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:18 pm

I thought we'd get a lot of penalties this year with VAR. Seems I was wrong.

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#188 » by The_Brecht » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:15 pm

The_Brecht wrote:I completely trust Arsenal to get at least a point at Leicester this weekend, so I named Vardy my FPL captain.

Good on me.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
HIF
RealGM

Post#189 » by HIF » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Liverpool Mancity. Again I ask what is the point of VAR?

Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#190 » by Trilogy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:32 pm

VAR is a good concept but the decisions around it are just inconsistent.

That seemed like a clear handball on TAA in the box. It's unfortunate because it completely changed the game. I'd like to hear the justification of why it wasn't called.

Still a good game though. City's probably been the better side by a bit but they are down 2.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#191 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Trilogy wrote:VAR is a good concept but the decisions around it are just inconsistent.

That seemed like a clear handball on TAA in the box. It's unfortunate because it completely changed the game. I'd like to hear the justification of why it wasn't called.

Still a good game though. City's probably been the better side by a bit but they are down 2.

Im not sure. When you consider that City have been down all match, you would think they would lead on possession by far more as well as on SOG. One thing is certain though, LFC is far more efficient all year with their opportunities
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#192 » by Baphomet » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:46 pm

Trilogy wrote:VAR is a good concept but the decisions around it are just inconsistent.

I agree, though I think the VAR itself isn't the issue, it's the ineptitude of the officials using it and the vagueness of the rules, for example the parameters that constitute a "clear and obvious error" are as subjective as anything else in the game. What we have right now is nothing different (or perhaps worse) to what we had before VAR was implemented: Wildly inconsistent decisions from game-to-game, except now it takes minutes to review a decision.

I was in favour of it for a while leading up to this season, but I'm now in the camp that it needs to be scrapped.

Credit to Liverpool though, they played a very professional game and beating City, poor decisions aside, is absolutely no joke.
HIF
RealGM

Post#193 » by HIF » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:27 am

Baphomet wrote:

I agree, though I think the VAR itself isn't the issue, it's the ineptitude of the officials using it and the vagueness of the rules, for example the parameters that constitute a "clear and obvious error" are as subjective as anything else in the game. What we have right now is nothing different (or perhaps worse) to what we had before VAR was implemented: Wildly inconsistent decisions from game-to-game, except now it takes minutes to review a decision.

I was in favour of it for a while leading up to this season, but I'm now in the camp that it needs to be scrapped.

Credit to Liverpool though, they played a very professional game and beating City, poor decisions aside, is absolutely no joke.

Exactly this.

VAR is the correct path to follow but having refs decide what and when VAR is going to change is ridiculous. The first hand ball should have been a penalty and the second shouldn't. I don't think you could get much clearer than that for the first. VAR refs have not been overturning any onfield decisions (apart from offside) and making a mockery of the technology. As for the offside if it is going to take longer than 90 seconds to decide then it isn't clear. this 1mm or 2mm is ridiculous, if it's that close then get on with the game and let the goal stand. we want goals.

We shouldn't scrap VAR otherwise it's back to corrupt or poor officialing that always helps the "big" teams.

Use VAR properly.

HIF
RealGM

Post#194 » by HIF » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm reading everywhere that the Premier league is all over.

Surely people are not that stupid.

Liverpool must be hot favourites but it's mid November. A lot can happen in a week in football let alone 5 months.

I don't think Liverpool are as good as they think they are. A couple of injuries as the games start to get serious in December and January are likely to happen. the wrong injury at the wrong time can cost a team 9 points.

Leicester and Chlesea are two teams full of young players who are going to play their hearts out, Man city are full of talented players and of course Arsenal, Manure and the rest can change their own seasons around in January.

Liverpool will feel bad if they don't win the league this season but that's not stopped them failing to do it before.

I'll keep an open mind about who is going to win it all for at least another few months.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#195 » by Baphomet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Poch sacked. So long to our best manager in 30 years, you always handled yourself with dignity and grace. I believe it's the correct decision at this point, but I doubt we'll be as good again as the last few years for a long time. Thanks for that night in Amsterdam. It's a heartbreaker that it ended like this. Hope he kills it at his next job... so long as it's not in the Premier League.

Mourinho is favourite to replace him, followed by Allegri and Ancelotti.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#196 » by humanrefutation » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:33 pm

Who is going to be in a better position in 12 months? Poch or Spurs?

My money is on Poch.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#197 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:37 am

Baphomet wrote:Poch sacked. So long to our best manager in 30 years, you always handled yourself with dignity and grace. I believe it's the correct decision at this point, but I doubt we'll be as good again as the last few years for a long time. Thanks for that night in Amsterdam. It's a heartbreaker that it ended like this. Hope he kills it at his next job... so long as it's not in the Premier League.

Mourinho is favourite to replace him, followed by Allegri and Ancelotti.

Holy ****. Man...What a fall from grace. Didn't think Spurs would axe him.

Who do they turn to now?

They'd be crazy to hire José. Awful fit imo.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#198 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:42 am

humanrefutation wrote:Who is going to be in a better position in 12 months? Poch or Spurs?

My money is on Poch.

United would be mad not to offer him the job. Same goes for Arsenal.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#199 » by humanrefutation » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:35 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Who is going to be in a better position in 12 months? Poch or Spurs?

My money is on Poch.

United would be mad not to offer him the job. Same goes for Arsenal.

I think he'll end up managing Barca.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#200 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:56 am

It's done!

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Soccer Board