The balance things out trade

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: The balance things out trade 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:40 pm

So how do we get Crowder from the Grizzlies?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 9, 2019 4:46 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:So how do we get Crowder from the Grizzlies?

Well, he's not exactly having a decent start to the season. But, it's not easy. McDermott's salary matches up quite well, but he has an extra year while Jae expires, and I'm sure Memphis would want to be compensated for that, so maybe a couple 2nds? Maybe we have to pay a future 1st and get back a Memphis 2nd? Otherwise, it's real hard to match up salary. Leaf/McConnell match up to work, but I don't know if Memphis would value either piece.

I don't think that Crowder is the answer.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#23 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:04 am

I think the roster is quite balanced right now, actually

Once everyone is healthy that is

Warren has improved defensively - granted it's the Pistons and they were missing 4 players, but the eye test says he's improving - perhaps what happened to Bogie is happening to him; he may end up being an adequate defender by the end of the season

Goga and Leaf are raw at the 5, but it takes some bad luck for both Myles and Domas to miss significant number of games - with both of them playing, the team is more than set at the 5; and I do expect Goga to improve

Jakarr Sampson has so far provided enough energy and defense at the 4; and there's always the option of going small with Justin, Doug, or Warren

The Hornets game was kind of an aberration, with both Myles and Domas not playing AND Goga and Leaf fouling out

I think what the team really needs is one good consolidation trade, either a 2 for 1 or a 3 for 2, but those are difficult to come by
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#24 » by 8305 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Well, he's not exactly having a decent start to the season. But, it's not easy. McDermott's salary matches up quite well, but he has an extra year while Jae expires, and I'm sure Memphis would want to be compensated for that, so maybe a couple 2nds? Maybe we have to pay a future 1st and get back a Memphis 2nd? Otherwise, it's real hard to match up salary. Leaf/McConnell match up to work, but I don't know if Memphis would value either piece.

I think Crowder would be a nice get. McDermott isn’t as good a player and that’s where the value problem comes into play imo. Seems to me that for teams like Indiana and Memphis the extra year on a contract for a fairly compensated player is more valuable than an expiring. And McD is a capable off the bench shooter on a reasonable contract for what he brings. Don’t know that this is the direction Memphis would want to go but for me all things considered I could see reason for both teams to make this trade.

That said Jakar Sampson has been a revelation of sorts. He brings many of the same things we got from Thad. Looks like he can play very effectively with any of the other three bigs. I’ll be surprised if he matches defensively with the star wings of the league but few players around the league are. It will interesting to see who sits when everyone is back but, Sampson looks to at the very least to be situational role guy.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:09 pm

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I think Crowder would be a nice get. McDermott isn’t as good a player and that’s where the value problem comes into play imo. Seems to me that for teams like Indiana and Memphis the extra year on a contract for a fairly compensated player is more valuable than an expiring. And McD is a capable off the bench shooter on a reasonable contract for what he brings. Don’t know that this is the direction Memphis would want to go but for me all things considered I could see reason for both teams to make this trade.

That said Jakar Sampson has been a revelation of sorts. He brings many of the same things we got from Thad. Looks like he can play very effectively with any of the other three bigs. I’ll be surprised if he matches defensively with the star wings of the league but few players around the league are. It will interesting to see who sits when everyone is back but, Sampson looks to at the very least to be situational role guy.

Agreed on locked in contracts having some value in places where teams aren’t traditional free agent destinations, but Memphis is in a rebuild and Dougie isn’t an answer to them. He’s be a guy they’d want to be paid for taking on and then hope to get some value out of flipping him later, as opposed to us, where we’re fine with playing him for his skills he offers off the bench. It’s just a situational difference and would require us paying some extra draft pick compensation.

But agreed that Sampson has been a really usable fit for us. He’s definitely not a long term answer, and may require a bigger or longer term contract in the offseason after being given a chance to really prove himself over a long haul this year, though. But that’s ok.

Really would like to see Alize get a chance this year and see Leaf develop to be reliable.
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by 8305 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Agreed on locked in contracts having some value in places where teams aren’t traditional free agent destinations, but Memphis is in a rebuild and Dougie isn’t an answer to them. He’s be a guy they’d want to be paid for taking on and then hope to get some value out of flipping him later, as opposed to us, where we’re fine with playing him for his skills he offers off the bench. It’s just a situational difference and would require us paying some extra draft pick compensation.

But agreed that Sampson has been a really usable fit for us. He’s definitely not a long term answer, and may require a bigger or longer term contract in the offseason after being given a chance to really prove himself over a long haul this year, though. But that’s ok.

Really would like to see Alize get a chance this year and see Leaf develop to be reliable.

Yeah, I see your point as to a potential deal with Memphis. With the play of Jakar and Warren and McDermott we seem to have an answer to the backup minutes at the 4. So right now no reason to shake that up.

As to giving Alize and Leaf an opportunity it would be nice. But, I just don’t see where one finds those minutes. Once Turner comes back the backup minutes will dwindle considerably. We will be doing well to get the necessary minutes to Sampson and Bitadze. And, until one of those two plays themselves off the floor logic dictates you roll with its them.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:30 pm

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yeah, I see your point as to a potential deal with Memphis. With the play of Jakar and Warren and McDermott we seem to have an answer to the backup minutes at the 4. So right now no reason to shake that up.

As to giving Alize and Leaf an opportunity it would be nice. But, I just don’t see where one finds those minutes. Once Turner comes back the backup minutes will dwindle considerably. We will be doing well to get the necessary minutes to Sampson and Bitadze. And, until one of those two plays themselves off the floor logic dictates you roll with its them.

I think it could’ve been real easy these last two weeks. We had several nights where Sampson and Justin Holiday each played 32+ minutes and Dom played 39 minutes. Just 3-6 minutes from each of them gets 9-18 minutes for Leaf or Alize. I’m not asking to bench better guys completely. Just a couple minutes to get guys on court and up to speed.
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by 8305 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I get why that didn’t happen. Still need to win. As injured as we are now the margin for error is small. Not a good option to start out the season at 2 and 7.

I think it could’ve been real easy these last two weeks. We had several nights where Sampson and Justin Holiday each played 32+ minutes and Dom played 39 minutes. Just 3-6 minutes from each of them gets 9-18 minutes for Leaf or Alize. I’m not asking to bench better guys completely. Just a couple minutes to get guys on court and up to speed.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#29 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:57 am

Alize played a little tonight. He played 3 not 4 which explains a lot. Warren, Dougie, and JHoliday all ahead of him.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

Wizop wrote:Alize played a little tonight. He played 3 not 4 which explains a lot. Warren, Dougie, and JHoliday all ahead of him.

Sent from my phone.

Thanks. I haven't gotten a chance to watch games too much with the whole FoxSports/Dish imbroglio. Pretty close to splurging for League Pass.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#31 » by ezzzp » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:36 pm

Magic fan here in peace...what do you guys think about something like this?

ORLANDO
Starters: Fultz | Bogdanovic | Fournier | Isaac | Vucevic
Rotation: Augustin | Ross | Aminu | Dedmon
Ltd Min: Carter-Williams | Iwundu | Birch
G-League: Frazier | Okeke | Bamba

SACRAMENTO
Starters: Fox | Hield | Barnes | Bagely | Turner
Rotation: Joseph | Ariza | Bjelica | Holmes

INDIANA
Starters: Brogdon | Oladipo | Warren | Gordon | Sabonis
Rotation: A Holiday | Lamb | Sampson | McDermott | Bitadze
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#32 » by Wizop » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 am

ezzzp wrote:Magic fan here in peace...what do you guys think about something like this?

INDIANA
We do not want to trade any starter and all interest in Gordon is ancient history.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 am

ezzzp wrote:Magic fan here in peace...what do you guys think about something like this?

ORLANDO
Starters: Fultz | Bogdanovic | Fournier | Isaac | Vucevic
Rotation: Augustin | Ross | Aminu | Dedmon
Ltd Min: Carter-Williams | Iwundu | Birch
G-League: Frazier | Okeke | Bamba

SACRAMENTO
Starters: Fox | Hield | Barnes | Bagely | Turner
Rotation: Joseph | Ariza | Bjelica | Holmes

INDIANA

Turner straight up for Gordon? No interest. Gordon is a nice piece in a potential deal for a Turner, but not straight up. Gotta have a lot more value there to make it worth giving up the far more useful player.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#34 » by Pacersike » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:48 am

Some interesting stats about the Sabonis-Turner tandem:

https://stats.nba.com/impact/advanced/#!?LineupIDs=1627734&VsLineupIDs=1626167&TeamID=1610612754&VsTeamID=1610612754

Gordon

I'd say Isaac makes more sense for both parties, unless you intend to organise a giant block party :)

Yes, I know, I should have asked you this question earlier, when Isaac's value depended more on his potential and not his contributions, but I couldn't find you before to ask you to trade Turner for Isaac. I totally understand that he is one of your best building pieces now.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Pacersike wrote:Some interesting stats about the Sabonis-Turner tandem:

https://stats.nba.com/impact/advanced/#!?LineupIDs=1627734&VsLineupIDs=1626167&TeamID=1610612754&VsTeamID=1610612754

Gordon

I'd say Isaac makes more sense for both parties, unless you intend to organise a giant block party :)

Yes, I know, I should have asked you this question earlier, when Isaac's value depended more on his potential and not his contributions, but I couldn't find you before to ask you to trade Turner for Isaac. I totally understand that he is one of your best building pieces now.

Those stats are real tough right now with the magnificently small sample sizes. With the time missed by both, a single bucket can swing those stats pretty well. Last nights run they gave up while on the court together may have swung those point differentials by 10 points itself.
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by 8305 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:10 pm

I don't see Turner of Sabonis going anywhere.....this year. But, if this team wants to be as competitive as possible now we need to move a wing for a guy who can serve as a 4th big. We lack that 3/4 defender.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#37 » by Pacersike » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Gordon

Those stats are real tough right now with the magnificently small sample sizes. With the time missed by both, a single bucket can swing those stats pretty well. Last nights run they gave up while on the court together may have swung those point differentials by 10 points itself.

That's why I called them interesting and not conclusive or something like that. Then again, how many teams with a winning record have we faced? It's a small sign which adds to the things we have seen in previous seasons. We could really use a good smallball 4.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#38 » by ezzzp » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Gordon

The Magic aren't trading Isaac, and its extremely unlikely they would have traded Isaac for Turner before either.

To me, a quality versatile forward is just way more valuable than a quality center. Isaac was an above average defender on his first minute in the NBA. Right away, he had the outline of a player who could evolve into an elite defensive game changer. What was in question was the offensive end, but even as a rookie you could see a legit path to evolve into at minimum a 3-D type player. The only reason he was out of the hype machine's scope was because of health; playing only the first month of his rookie year and then had setbacks in the first 1/3 of his second season. But once healthy, his development has been fast and steady.

The reason I proposed Gordon for you guys was because I though AG would be a quality replacement and upgrade for Thaddeus Young. I felt he was a key part of how you defended quality tier teams last year. But maybe you're right and Sabonis/Turner will work vs those teams later this season...though I wouldn't use that tiny sample size as any sort of indicator that it will.

Oladipo was my favorite Magic player for many years, so you guys have been one of my regular league pass teams...hope he returns soon.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#39 » by boomershadow » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:20 pm

The thing is...if we wanted someone to play the Thaddeus Young role, we probably would have just re-signed Thaddeus Young. A lot of people online are gonna want to end the Turner/Sabonis experiment before it even really begins, but the fact remains that this is the direction the front office decided to go. I don't think they're gonna give up on it already for Aaron Gordon.
Pacersike
Analyst

Post#40 » by Pacersike » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:41 pm

ezzzp wrote:The Magic aren't trading Isaac, and its extremely unlikely they would have traded Isaac for Turner before either.

To me, a quality versatile forward is just way more valuable than a quality center. Isaac was an above average defender on his first minute in the NBA. Right away, he had the outline of a player who could evolve into an elite defensive game changer. What was in question was the offensive end, but even as a rookie you could see a legit path to evolve into at minimum a 3-D type player. The only reason he was out of the hype machine's scope was because of health; playing only the first month of his rookie year and then had setbacks in the first 1/3 of his second season. But once healthy, his development has been fast and steady.

The reason I proposed Gordon for you guys was because I though AG would be a quality replacement and upgrade for Thaddeus Young. I felt he was a key part of how you defended quality tier teams last year. But maybe you're right and Sabonis/Turner will work vs those teams later this season...though I wouldn't use that tiny sample size as any sort of indicator that it will.

Oladipo was my favorite Magic player for many years, so you guys have been one of my regular league pass teams...hope he returns soon.

3 seasons ago, when Myles was 20 years old, he was putting up stats that Jonathan could only dream of when he was 21 years old.
Maybe you have in the back of your head that Turner hasn't improved much since (only his 3 point shot and shotblocking last season) when you say that it was extremely unlikely. Today it is unlikely the Magic would trade Isaac for Turner, but in the past not so unlikely. A proven player always gets some extra trade value compared to an unproven player, unless it's Zion or Lebron.

We agree to disagree then, also on the thing we actually do agree upon. The biggest guys on the court can impact the game in a way that smaller guys can't. Size does matter 8-) Thanks for stopping by and proposing us to get a good player. He has done worse than Turner though, since his sophomore season. I hope he can turn it around. ps extremes are never good. I value your points just as much if you would leave out extremes like extremely. Cheers.

Return to Indiana Pacers