ImageImageImage

Tatum and Brown, as 1-2 Options

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#321 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:52 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:The 3s should be an easy fix. FTAs a bit tougher.

Agreed. Improving in the 3s department is somewhat straightforward. Take the f***ing open threes. Looks like he's gotten that into his head and it hopefully won't be an issue at all. Then there's also speeding up his release a bit so that he doesn't get chased off the line by closeouts. Not so straightforward. His release has been slowish for a good shooter. We'll find out if he's been able to do that. I think I see a little improvement but who knows with these green goggles on.

Whereas with the FTs.... being able to draw fouls off the dribble. That's not really something he can just flip a switch and do. He can be better about seeking contact once he's in the air or finishing at the rim. That's a mindset thing. But he can't just become a dribble-penetrator because he wants it more.

I think Hanlen/his camp know that which is why there's so much focus in the article about opening up his drives by taking quicker and more decisive 3s.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,841

Post#322 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:56 am

"How Shaving Your Head Can Improve Your Vision, Enhance Your Decision-Making, and Develop Your BallHandling"
-- Jaylen Brown, Harvard Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law, 2019.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#323 » by OldCeltics » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:13 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:"How Shaving Your Head Can Improve Your Vision, Enhance Your Decision-Making, and Develop Your BallHandling"
-- Jaylen Brown, Harvard Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law, 2019.
Link? 8]

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#324 » by sam_I_am » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Add Smart to this thread title. Our 3 lottery picks are breaking out. The FIBA effect is real. With our talent at guard and wings I think Gorman’s observation that the center could be manned by our 5 guys rotating like lines in hockey is a good one.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#325 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:54 pm

I would bet more on consistency from Hayward as he gets in shape than Jaylen and Jayson as the year goes on - but if they are ready out of the gate..

Jaylen just raised his floor last night to “borderline all-star” - in some years, out others - he made plays last night he’s never made in a Celtics uniform. He keeps working, it’s guaranteed. His ceiling depends on his drive and luck, but if he develops the focus to defend at a high level, slash, finish, pass out of his drives, be even average from the perimeter.. Then you’re talking about drawing fouls, improving his shooting from ok to good, and rounding out his offensive game - he could actually leapfrog Tatum as a scorer, because he’s physically further along and has shown rudiments of a post game and a pull-up jump shot.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#326 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Read on Twitter
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#327 » by 31to6 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:19 pm

The thing I like best is that these guys play defense. No one ever made Kyrie or Kemba or Carmelo play defense, and our franchise really has stuck with it. May or may not pay off in the long run but it gives them a chance to win more games than people ‘expect’!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#328 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Major props to Tatum's agent. Guy is doing work. It feels like Tatum has ALL the endorsements.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#329 » by thomas1897 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:44 am

Since the season began Jaylen Brown has shown he is improving in many areas of his game. Areas of great interest for the Celtics do not shown in the stat column each night. Such as timely passing when to penetrate to the basket how to balance off the floor on offense, good defense, playing a big or smaller player these are some of the improvements he has made. To build a championship contender teams have to look for these qualities and a high basketball IQ. Jaylen Brown reminds of Jimmy Butler no attitude. Jaylen keep improving in all areas of your game. Danny Ainge thank you.
AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,470

Post#330 » by AlCelticFan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:45 am

It's only up from here for Tatum this season :lol:
Braindesign
Junior
And1: 366

Post#331 » by Braindesign » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Have people put the rest the idea that Brown would never develop a great handle? Looks well on his way to me.

I've always maintained I thought Brown would become the more elite player of the two. That's no knock on Tatum. Tatum has All Star potential too. Brown just has this quiet alpha thing about him combined with athleticism and work ethic that I think leads to a very high ceiling. His handle, left hand, free throws and passing have all been big improvements this year. 3 ball has regressed, but it's early
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#332 » by PtruthP34 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm excited to see Jaylen's skillset evolve. He's starting to chain together dribbling moves seamlessly, and gets wherever he wants to. Would love to see him learn how to harness his nasty spin, which always seemed borderline out of control. Also want to see him more comfortable taking fadeaways from anywhere within 15 ft. when the clock is winding down and the team needs a bail out option. He can get up high enough and use his strength to his advantage, and his touch and arc on those shots is usually right on (with the occasional airball thrown in the mix). No more getting blocked on standstill face-up jumpers when he gets into trouble (horrible Korver flashbacks).
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#333 » by PtruthP34 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Also, can't seem to recall Jaylen ever taking a step-back jumper. Why is that? With his explosive first step he should be going to that more often a la Pierce. Does he just not feel comfortable shooting while on the move like that?
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,287

Post#334 » by Marvel » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 pm

PtruthP34 wrote:Also, can't seem to recall Jaylen ever taking a step-back jumper. Why is that? With his explosive first step he should be going to that more often a la Pierce. Does he just not feel comfortable shooting while on the move like that?

Good point. maybe that's his next move he adds to his arsenal.

Would love to see him learn how to harness his nasty spin

That spin of his is nasty. Doesn't pull it out much anymore though. :cry:. One thing that has stood out to me with JB is his passing. He has really improved as a passer.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#335 » by return2glory » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:11 am

Brown has had no go to shot to speak of. So that could be something he works on next, maybe next season.

But so far, most of the things he was lacking to take the next step, he has in this young season. The handles have improved. The passing and FT shooting along with court awareness have improved. Using his left had is slowly becoming a weapon. It’s nice to see. I’m a fan of Celtic players that work hard and make improvement so and JB is falling in that category. Props to him.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#336 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:10 am

Brown will get a good test these next few weeks. With 2nd/3rd option usage, he'll get a bit more attentive D for his shot creation.

Tatum needs to stop shot hunting. Let Smart and Kemba do the dribble probes and then play off them. He'll get plenty of points, esp. with how unselfish Smart is playing.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#337 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:16 am

Marvel wrote:
PtruthP34 wrote:Also, can't seem to recall Jaylen ever taking a step-back jumper. Why is that? With his explosive first step he should be going to that more often a la Pierce. Does he just not feel comfortable shooting while on the move like that?

Good point. maybe that's his next move he adds to his arsenal.

Would love to see him learn how to harness his nasty spin

That spin of his is nasty. Doesn't pull it out much anymore though. :cry:. One thing that has stood out to me with JB is his passing. He has really improved as a passer.

I can only remember one step back, game 5 against MIL he made a step back three late in the fourth. I'm sure he's made a couple others. But its not a go to move for him for sure. His shooting off the dribble is mostly fadeaways in the 3-16 foot range right now.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#338 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:17 am

return2glory wrote:Brown has had no go to shot to speak of. So that could be something he works on next, maybe next season.

But so far, most of the things he was lacking to take the next step, he has in this young season. The handles have improved. The passing and FT shooting along with court awareness have improved. Using his left had is slowly becoming a weapon. It’s nice to see. I’m a fan of Celtic players that work hard and make improvement so and JB is falling in that category. Props to him.

I dont now if I'd call it a go to shot or not, but that hard drive into the paint followed by a hard stop and a fadeaway touch jumper is something he's become very good at and he goes to it a lot.
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#339 » by Smog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:27 am

Jaylen’s go-to shot is getting as close to the basket as he can and just out-jumping his man.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#340 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:26 am

Smog wrote:Jaylen’s go-to shot is getting as close to the basket as he can and just out-jumping his man.

The same could have been said of Michael Jordan.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics