ImageImage

Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#1 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:11 am

Cole Anthony kicks off his campaign with 34/11/5 nailing some deep 3's on 54% 3pt shooting (6-11). Setting scoring records for NC that have stood for 2 decades.

Undersized at 6'3 with a short wing span, he's potentially the scoring wing with deep range Memphis has needed. A natural scorer, that can shoot, set or off the dribble. He has a skillset that can compliment Ja as a secondary ball handler, playmaker.

Like Ja, he's unselfish, has good court vision & is fearless in attacking the rim.

People will say he's only 6'3, that he & Ja would be too small, defensive liabilities. To which I point to the defending champs running 2 guards at 6 feet or under in Lowry & FVV. Neither of which have the athletic ability to make up for their lack of size or short wing spans. What they can do is run a offense, get to the rim & shoot.

Cole Anthony 6'3, 6'4" wing span ---- FVV 6', 6'2" wing span
Ja Morant 6'3", 6'7" wing span (44 vert) ---- Lowry 6'1", 6'3" wing span

Raptors defense comes from their forward positions Gasol/Pascal/OG. Memphis have 3J's potential to be a mobile 3 & D centre, Clarke who's not as good as Pascal offensively but better defensively with his high IQ & intangibles. OG is a good perimeter defender, slasher, who can knock down his 3's. I have interest in Okoro with a mid lotto pick, he has all the tools to be a first team defender. I'm looking/hoping to see offensive potential out of him.

3J needs to get it together or it'll be a big set back. His current play makes it harder to potentially pass on Wiseman for that long needed wing if they are in the same tier.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 11:18 am

Outside the obvious of Edwards, Anthony & Wiseman

My players of interest.

Tyrese Maxey
Theo Maledon
Oscar Tshiebwe
Samuel Williamson
Trendon Watford
Mathew Hurt
Precious Achiuwa
Scott Lewis
Jaden McDaniels
Isaac Okoro
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 12:19 pm

Okoro in debut win for Auburn - (6-9) 12/5/2

One missed attempt from 3.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:41 pm

Deni Avdija is an international guy that may be worth a look for the front office though I know little about him.

Isaiah Joe should probably be on our radar if he falls to our PHX 2nd round pick. Kid is supposed to be a walking bucket.

I'm looking forward to seeing Precious and Wiseman against Oregon next week. They looked really good against possibly the worst team they'll play all year, but I'm ready to see how they are against real competition.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:12 pm

Okoro led Auburn past Davidson scoring 17 on 5-7 shooting (2-3) from 3.

If this kid proves he can shoot, he needs to be Memphis future SF.

"Isaac was terrific. The fact that he made two 3s — his first two 3s — that's really special," Pearl said. "To see him just do it; not just make it, but the willingness to catch it and shoot it was so very, very encouraging. Obviously, he's such a great defensive player. You just can't score over him."

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2019/11/08/three-takeaways-auburn-mens-basketball-defense-shines-key-neutral-site-win-over-davidson-isaac-okoro/2534610001/
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Sat Nov 9, 2019 1:53 pm

Cole Anthony 20/10 - setting yet another record in as many games, is now the only freshman in program history to go for at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in consecutive games.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:20 pm

Jaden McDaniels is a 6'10" wing, with a 6'11" wing span, he's thin framed (190lbs) but so was Durant. He runs the floor well & is a fluid athlete. He has deep range & the ability to create his own shot.

18/7/2 in his debut vs Baylor

Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Samuel Williamson 13pt debut vs Miami.

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:05 pm

I'm still not sure who I'm hoping we get. The nice thing is that I can see Wiseman/JJJ/Clarke as a front court rotation that works well and both Edwards and Cole seem like they could play next to Ja though you may need a defensive SF to start with them. It'll be interesting to see if we can acquire another 1st prior to the deadline using Iggy and maybe some of the other vets on the team.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:48 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I'm still not sure who I'm hoping we get. The nice thing is that I can see Wiseman/JJJ/Clarke as a front court rotation that works well and both Edwards and Cole seem like they could play next to Ja though you may need a defensive SF to start with them. It'll be interesting to see if we can acquire another 1st prior to the deadline using Iggy and maybe some of the other vets on the team.

BPA. If it's not a clear cut decision, I'd go with selecting a guard in a guards league. Hopefully 3J's play picks up to make it an even easier decision.

If Wiseman ends up the clear choice, I'd shop 3J for a wing because in this scenario it would probably be the best shot Memphis would have at adding a quality wing to the rotation with them owing the 2021 pick to Boston. Depending on how he ends up playing out the year, something like 3J + Utah pick to trade back into the top 5. Draft Wiseman + Edwards/Anthony.

Wiseman/Clarke/Josh/Edwards or Anthony/Ja

This years pick is a pivotal point for the rebuild. Memphis need to hit on it or things could take a bad turn.

IMO this years draft is going to be a deep one & would love Memphis to net a 2nd pick. Think they could come out the draft with 2 quality wings. Netting the scoring wing top 5 in Edwards or Anthony & some one like Okoro mid lotto who could be a first team wing defender, with range. 2-3 from 3 in his last match.

While a lot can change in a year, I have a pretty good idea what I want out of this draft. I'm basically tracking it's potential.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by VCfor3 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:22 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I'm still not sure who I'm hoping we get. The nice thing is that I can see Wiseman/JJJ/Clarke as a front court rotation that works well and both Edwards and Cole seem like they could play next to Ja though you may need a defensive SF to start with them. It'll be interesting to see if we can acquire another 1st prior to the deadline using Iggy and maybe some of the other vets on the team.

BPA. If it's not a clear cut decision, I'd go with selecting a guard in a guards league. Hopefully 3J's play picks up to make it an even easier decision.

If Wiseman ends up the clear choice, I'd shop 3J for a wing because in this scenario it would probably be the best shot Memphis would have at adding a quality wing to the rotation with them owing the 2021 pick to Boston. Depending on how he ends up playing out the year, something like 3J + Utah pick to trade back into the top 5. Draft Wiseman + Edwards/Anthony.

Wiseman/Clarke/Josh/Edwards or Anthony/Ja

This years pick is a pivotal point for the rebuild. Memphis need to hit on it or things could take a bad turn.

IMO this years draft is going to be a deep one & would love Memphis to net a 2nd pick. Think they could come out the draft with 2 quality wings. Netting the scoring wing top 5 in Edwards or Anthony & some one like Okoro mid lotto who could be a first team wing defender, with range. 2-3 from 3 in his last match.

While a lot can change in a year, I have a pretty good idea what I want out of this draft. I'm basically tracking it's potential.

I don't think I'd shop JJJ. I'd just offer Malik Beasley/Bogdan Bogdanovic a large contract or Ingram a max while potentially using the UTA pick in a S&T if we think the other team may match.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:25 am

VCfor3 wrote:
I don't think I'd shop JJJ. I'd just offer Malik Beasley/Bogdan Bogdanovic a large contract or Ingram a max while potentially using the UTA pick in a S&T if we think the other team may match.

I'd be weary on giving Ingram the max.

IDK man, Wiseman, 3J & Clarke can't all start, unless Memphis think they could utilize Clarke as a SF. IMO it's overlapping the teams talent to keep both Wiseman & 3J where Memphis has holes to fill & the draft being the best place to do it.

Wizards continue to lose. They may consider dealing Beal who they just extended. Grizz could potentially offer up a solid pick package for the SG but I'd assume they'd want a proven young player in that deal. If Memphis draft Wiseman, (3J, Utah 2022, GS 2024 for Beal)?.

Wiseman/Clarke/Josh/Beal/Ja ..

Or Memphis could keep 3J & offer up the top 5 2020 pick for Beal.. if they are not enamored with their choices.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#13 » by VCfor3 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:47 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

IDK man, Wiseman, 3J & Clarke can't all start, unless Memphis think they could utilize Clarke as a SF. IMO it's overlapping the teams talent to keep both Wiseman & 3J where Memphis has holes to fill & the draft being the best place to do it.

Wizards continue to lose. They may consider dealing Beal who they just extended. Grizz could potentially offer up a solid pick package for the SG but I'd assume they'd want a proven young player in that deal. If Memphis draft Wiseman, (3J, Utah 2022, GS 2024 for Beal)?.

Or Memphis could keep 3J & offer up the top 5 2020 pick for Beal.. if they are not enamored with their choices.

If Clarke can continue to develop a 3pt shot and Wiseman can develop some semblance of one then you may be able to get by with Ja/Josh?/Clarke/JJJ/Wiseman. If Ja can become an average defender that team could be crazy elite defensively. You also have a shot at attracting a big FA with that team. For instance you may be able to sign Beal out-right.

I'm not totally against moving JJJ, but it would have to be for the right guy and I'm not sure that guy would actually be available to us. I'd have to be really sold on Anthony or Edwards plus Wiseman but even then I may try exploring other trade packages first. Beal I probably wouldn't do since he could walk after a year or two.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Whole Truth » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:33 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

If Clarke can continue to develop a 3pt shot and Wiseman can develop some semblance of one then you may be able to get by with Ja/Josh?/Clarke/JJJ/Wiseman. If Ja can become an average defender that team could be crazy elite defensively. You also have a shot at attracting a big FA with that team. For instance you may be able to sign Beal out-right.

I'm not totally against moving JJJ, but it would have to be for the right guy and I'm not sure that guy would actually be available to us. I'd have to be really sold on Anthony or Edwards plus Wiseman but even then I may try exploring other trade packages first. Beal I probably wouldn't do since he could walk after a year or two.

Wizards signed Beal to a 2yr extension that ends in 2023. That would give Memphis 2yrs to make their case for him to stay. By trading for him instead of signing him, they will be able to offer him more money/yrs than anyone else, he'd most likely be looking/playing for a super max deal, reason for his 2yr ext. Your point of being in a winning environment applies to both potential scenario's but I think if Memphis were to have interest in Beal, trading for him would give them a better edge than signing him outright.

Wizards will most likely require a proven young player in a pick based deal for Beal. Some combination of (3J, Allen, Utah 2022, GS 2024, Grizz 2023 FRP pick). If they decide to draft Wiseman.

Wiseman / Clarke / Josh / Beal / Ja = potential supermax scenario

Jonas / Bruno / Anderson / Brooks / Tyus

vs

Drafting a soring wing top 6, retaining 3J & the pick assets, maybe use the Utah pick to help obtain a 2nd 1st in this deep draft.

3J / Clarke / Josh / Top 6 - Edwards or Anthony / Ja = rookie scale control

Jonas / Bruno or Anderson / Utah pick - Okoro / Brooks / Tyus = improved depth & potential

Currently I'm more in favor of scenario 2 dependent on Wiseman separating himself from the field as clear cut BPA.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Edwards 29/5/4/3 steals vs Citadel - (2-9 from 3, 22%), 10-14 otherwise.

So far so good, Memphis looking like they can't miss with a top 3 pick. Hopefully Hampton plays himself into the discussion. A potential unicorn big & 3 scoring guards top 4.

If Memphis fall out the top 4, I have Okoro, Maledon, McDaniels, Williamson, Maxey, Tsheibwe 4-6 & or with a an additional pick acquired, the (Utah pick), if conveyed, with Okoro currently leading that group of potential interest.

If Lamelo Ball has top 5 value & trade interest at Memphis selection - I'd trade down. Talented playmaker, good size & length but no range to compliment Memphis backcourt. The alternative being, Memphis scouts like him more than Ja.

Don't know anything about your Israeli prospect Deni Avdija Vic but some mock drafts have top 6.. have you seen this kid play?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by VCfor3 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Edwards 29/5/4/3 steals vs Citadel - (2-9 from 3, 22%), 10-14 otherwise.

So far so good, Memphis looking like they can't miss with a top 3 pick. Hopefully Hampton plays himself into the discussion. A potential unicorn big & 3 scoring guards top 4.

If Memphis fall out the top 4, I have Okoro, Maledon, McDaniels, Williamson, Maxey, Tsheibwe 4-6 & or with a an additional pick acquired, the (Utah pick), if conveyed, with Okoro currently leading that group of potential interest.

If Lamelo Ball has top 5 value & trade interest at Memphis selection - I'd trade down. Talented playmaker, good size & length but no range to compliment Memphis backcourt. The alternative being, Memphis scouts like him more than Ja.

Don't know anything about your Israeli prospect Deni Avdija Vic but some mock drafts have top 6.. have you seen this kid play?.

Unfortunately no and aside from a random highlight video probably won't be able to watch him. Unless Memphis sends scouts to see him and think he is the real deal, I think I'd prefer your Okoro pick if he keeps up the stellar play tbh.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm

I watched Evansville beat Kentucky. I don't know if I would call it an upset. Kentucky didn't look or play like they warranted their seeding. Wouldn't surprise me to see them have more "upsets".
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:07 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Unfortunately no and aside from a random highlight video probably won't be able to watch him. Unless Memphis sends scouts to see him and think he is the real deal, I think I'd prefer your Okoro pick if he keeps up the stellar play tbh.

If Okoro continues to prove he can shoot the ball, I think he'll be in the top 6 discussion. Would love to get him mid lotto though & one of the scoring guards top 6, in an ideal scenario.

I think Okoro has the potential to be a first team defender, he has the speed & athleticism to play with Ja in transition, the only question is can he space the floor?.

So far he's 0-1, 2-3, 0-2 from 3 in his first 3 games. Averaging 14/4/3 on 60% shooting.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#19 » by VCfor3 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Whole Truth wrote:I watched Evansville beat Kentucky. I don't know if I would call it an upset. Kentucky didn't look or play like they warranted their seeding. Wouldn't surprise me to see them have more "upsets".

There is a ton of time left for him to change my opinion, but I'm not sure I'd use a top 6 pick on Maxey.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#20 » by VCfor3 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Unfortunately no and aside from a random highlight video probably won't be able to watch him. Unless Memphis sends scouts to see him and think he is the real deal, I think I'd prefer your Okoro pick if he keeps up the stellar play tbh.

If Okoro continues to prove he can shoot the ball, I think he'll be in the top 6 discussion. Would love to get him mid lotto though & one of the scoring guards top 6, in an ideal scenario.

I think Okoro has the potential to be a first team defender, he has the speed & athleticism to play with Ja in transition, the only question is can he space the floor?.

So far he's 0-1, 2-3, 0-2 from 3 in his first 3 games. Averaging 14/4/3 on 60% shooting.

I think our best shot would be a Whiteside+protected 1st for Crowder+Iggy from Portland and then maybe move up a few spots by taking on some salary/adding a 2nd or two. If we have to make a big jump up then you likely have to include the UTA 1st.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies