Welcome to ATL Cam Reddish!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Re: Welcome to ATL Cam Reddish! 

Post#121 » by shakes0 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:11 pm

kg01 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:Has anyone ever been ejected from a game for picking up 2 flagrant OFFENSIVE fouls? How come we don't have a twee about that today. Cam Reddish is now the youngest player in NBA history blah blah blah.

Watching Reddish play is only enhancing my long standing belief that Coach K is the most overrated coach in all of sports. He's actually a horrible game coach and even worse at developing players. The fact that Reddish somehow had the great Coach K as a coach all of last year and still to this day has literally no idea how to play the game of basketball is a huge indictment of Coach K IMO.

This guy needs to go down the G league, the D league, the ABC league or whatever league it is where they teach people to play basketball at at least a 10th grade level. It insults my eyes and my 4 decades of watching hoops to see this guy share space on the court with professional athletes.

First of all, don't get me started on "Coach" K. Dude stopped truly coaching kids up years ago. He's just mastered the art of acquiring talent then putting that talent in a position to win college games. That's his job. The flip side of that is exactly what you've highlighted. Players walk out of Duke the exact same player they were when they walked in.

For players who are already great, this is a fine proposition. Get all the hype of Duke and rightfully get drafted well because of it. For a player like Reddish, who needs development, he misses out on the coaching he needs. It can argued that he's a guy better off going to a non-factory school where he'll get the development he needs. He has the tools to still get drafted but he'd be a better pro had he not gone to Duke.

The same can be said for places like Kansas and UNC so this is not necessarily an anti-Duke rant. If you want me to go on an anti-Duke rant I can do that. I'd start with pontificating on why so many of their recruits go to prep $chool$ or academie$ and I'd end off by pointing out that gated community with million dollar home$ that their familie$ ... $omehow end up living in. But no, no only adidas schools are paying kids. Right, FBI? These kids are turning down 6-figures from other schools to sign with Duke ... for free. Right?

Back to Reddish, i think he'll be fine but he's super raw. The tools are there. Put him in the oven and wait.

Great post. I'm concerned that a guy like Cam will never truly reach his potential as long as teams keep handing him opportunity on a silver platter. He's a guy who hasn't been asked to earn playing time at any level. IMO, the only chance he has of becoming good is if he first learns what it means to have to work for something. Send him down to G league, make him earn his way back to the big club and I bet he'll be a much better player because of it. Or, he'll never learn and he'll bust out in the G league where at least his total lack of basketball knowledge won't be so offensive to watch.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#122 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Trying to stay patient with this kid, but damn...he really shouldn't be in a starting role. Hopefully Crabbe is able to take his spot until Huerter is better.

Worst in the NBA :nonono:

Read on Twitter
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#123 » by shakes0 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 pm

how good would Brandon Clarke look right about now in a Hawks uni. We probably wouldn't even remember John Collins' name by Thanksgiving.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#124 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:11 am

shakes0 wrote:how good would Brandon Clarke look right about now in a Hawks uni. We probably wouldn't even remember John Collins' name by Thanksgiving.

Clarke is nice, but he plays bench minutes. There are few age peers on Collins' level. But to my point they need to send Red down with coach Gill for several weeks.

The light will not come on this season, just give him a change of scenery. When one of Turner, Crabbe, Huerter, etc. goes down you can send him up.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#125 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:30 am

shakes0 wrote:how good would Brandon Clarke look right about now in a Hawks uni. We probably wouldn't even remember John Collins' name by Thanksgiving.

I can't help but wonder how productive Tyler Herro would be as the backup for Trae and Huerter instead of Cam...even PJ Washington.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#126 » by Worst_to_First » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:18 pm

Don’t give up yet on Cam. Might make a jump in his second year. And either way he could lead you guys to the hometown kid Anthony Edwards.

Trae = Steph
Huerter = Klay
Hunter = Dray with shooting
Edwards = 6’4 version of KD
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#127 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:44 pm

^An optimistic Knicks fan...gotta love it!!!

(Sadly, I think De'Andre Hunter is more akin to Harrison Barnes, which makes us trading up for him somewhat inexplicable.)

Fingers crossed on both Cam and Hunter panning out for us. :peace:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#128 » by jayu70 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

Cam Reddish has taken his fair share of criticism this season (including from yours truly on multiple occasions) for his work on the offensive end of the floor. He’s legitimately harmful to the Atlanta Hawks on offense right now, what with his 36.6 percent true shooting and sometimes-questionable shot selection. However, the chatter surrounding his offense masks Reddish’s best trait at this point early on in his rookie year: he’s already a rotation-level defender.

Due to roster construction and the continued unavailability of Kevin Huerter through much of the early part of the season, Reddish has been matched up a lot more often on smaller guards than it was thought he might be in the pre-draft process. Standing at 6’8 and weighing in north of 200 pounds, Reddish has the physical profile of a prototypical forward at the NBA level, but after Atlanta drafted De’Andre Hunter six spots ahead of Reddish, it wasn’t clear that he was going to have a path to play significant minutes at the 3 for the Hawks this season.

Rather than looking out of place against smaller players, Reddish has thrived in that role. He’s a smart help defender, knows the tendencies of his opponents, and has a slithery nature getting through screens that’s rare among players his size. There are still situations in which he overhelps, gets beat athletically, or slams headfirst into a screen, but the overall picture is much rosier for Reddish on defense than it is for a lot of rookies. For the most part, rookies are negatives on both ends of the floor, particularly as you get outside the top few picks each season, so for Reddish to be a consistent positive on defense bodes well for his long-term future.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#129 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 pm

shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#130 » by shakes0 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Monday morning quarterbacking says no one should be surprised that two guys who literally accomplished nothing on the basketball court last year yet were still top 10 picks are now playing like crap in the toughest league in the world.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#131 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:29 am

Read on Twitter
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#132 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:34 am

I’m not even close to giving up on Cam. Not this early. He’s still great defensively, gets steals pretty easily, and from what I can tell, he isn’t doing anything stupid on offense, things just aren’t going his way. My advice was for him to lay off the jumpers a little and just get to the foul line because he gets to the rim pretty easily, but I don’t know if it’s just because he’s a rookie or what but usually either the refs swallow the whistle or he is just on the wrong side of a foul call more often than not.

Other than that though he’s taking good shots for his skillset, they just aren’t falling. Reminds me of Trae last year. He just has to slow down.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#133 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Reddish wasn’t told to head to the facility after appearing at Topgolf. He took it upon himself to go. So from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. after what the coaching staff deemed a good day of practice for Reddish on Tuesday morning, the rookie worked and talked basketball with Hunt.

What the coaching staff has learned about Reddish during the past few months since he was selected No. 10 overall in the draft is that once there’s a fire sparked inside of Reddish, it’s almost like he’s a new person. He needs to be pushed and propelled. He had the best half of his young career Sunday against the Los Angeles Lakers after head coach Lloyd Pierce got onto him, and, really, the entire team at halftime. But the Hawks are hoping Reddish gets to a point where he doesn’t need that extra pushing to get him in that mindset the organization wants him to get to, and these past few days have been encouraging.

“Once he finds that motivation within himself and starts waking up every day and says, ‘I’m an NBA basketball player. I’m Cam Reddish’ — that’s when we might see a difference,” assistant coach Marlon Garnett, who is Reddish’s primary day-to-day coach, told The Athletic after practice Wednesday. “It hasn’t been a challenge, but it’s just a reminder for him.”

Garnett is primarily assigned to Reddish, Trae Young and Tyrone Wallace and is DeAndre’ Bembry’s secondary coach. Garnett is the one who helps those three with their vitamin workouts, is instructing them during warmups prior to the games and breaks down their film work of practices and games.

What the coaches have seen with Reddish on film hasn’t matched what he has shown in practices, and that’s where they feel like the disconnect has been when it comes time to play.

The staff has noticed that Reddish, in practice, has his left foot anchored to the ground, and then he steps and follows through with his right foot in practice. A lot of Reddish’s shot attempts in games come with him hopping into his shot, which is not what he’s practicing, so he’s out of rhythm.

“Just to do that, he’s late reacting, and it’s over,” Pierce said. “It’s a different rhythm. If you shoot with a different rhythm than what you worked on, you’re going to get a different result. It’s studying little things like that. We studied this with De’Andre (Hunter). He’s shot ready, but sometimes (his follow-through is off), and sometimes he’s CJ McCollum, and he holds his follow-through. When you awaken a guy to something they might not even be aware of, and I don’t even think it’s something he’s been aware of. He’s hopping into his 3s, and all he does is work on his left foot down and step, step. These things take time. The readiness before the ball gets there is huge. Vince (Carter) is great at it. De’Andre Hunter is very good at it. Kevin Huerter is not great at it, surprisingly; he just has an easy release. Shot ready is not something (Reddish) is very good at.”

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,405

Post#134 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:27 am

Some funny posts ITT. Cam Reddishs is an interesting prospect...fun to read about him and Frank Ntilikina another prospect who's struggled offesnively in the nba. Cam's actually scored 51 points on 45 FGA in the last 4 games he's played which isn't terrible at all. Before that he was quite bad for a stretch though.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#135 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 5, 2019 8:12 pm

As much as I've criticized the kid, I have to give credit where it's due:

Read on Twitter

While the scoring outburst wasn't enough to pull the Hawks to a win, Reddish's career-high 25 points certainly showed what the 20-year-old can do when he plays with the momentum of a few early confidence-building moments.

“I was just in it tonight," Reddish said after the game. "I was feeling it from the jump when I hit my first two. I was just feeling confident throughout the entire game. My teammates were finding me for open shots and I was able to knock them down.”

Head coach Lloyd Pierce echoed the same sentiment.

“He scored his first five points on the first two shots and I think that helps with any player to see the ball go in the basket, to feel good about it. That was the best part: that it was from start to finish. There was really no drop off in terms of his aggression in his shot making. His points came in bunches and they came at different periods of the game, and for him to play consistently and score consistently all night was most impressive."

To smooth over the bumps of a rookie season, Reddish has been studying extra film with the coaches. He noted that the film has helped him slow down some of the plays on which he used to rush, while also helping him identify the spots where he can best find openings to score.

Reddish has also been going back to the practice court at the Emory Sports Medicine Complex at night for some extra individual work with assistant coach Melvin Hunt.

"After practice, I go home and play with my dog a little bit and chill. Then I try to go back later that night and try to get some more shots up. I've been focusing on my balance – holding my follow-through and trying to be super detailed on my jump shot."

The additional attention to detail is paying off with improved footwork and results, and Reddish is poised to show why the team believes he can become an effective two-way player sooner than later.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#136 » by jayu70 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:32 pm

After a rough start to the season shooting the ball, Cam Reddish seems to be slowly turning the corner:

October: 20%FG/.5% 3FG/ORtg-63
November: 32%FG/27% 3FG/ORtg-82
December: 45%FG/42% 3FG/ORtg-99

Five games in October, 1-18 from 3
Four games in December, 8-19 from 3.

Baby Steps!!!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#137 » by kg01 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:45 pm

jayu70 wrote:After a rough start to the season shooting the ball, Cam Reddish seems to be slowly turning the corner:

Baby Steps!!!

No, no, no. You're doing it wrong, burd. You're only s'posed to blast Reddish for not being prime-Kobe as a rookie.
king01 :king:
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#138 » by King Ken » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm

kg01 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:After a rough start to the season shooting the ball, Cam Reddish seems to be slowly turning the corner:

Baby Steps!!!

No, no, no. You're doing it wrong, burd. You're only s'posed to blast Reddish for not being prime-Kobe as a rookie.

The average NBA fan is a legit dumbass
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#139 » by kg01 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:20 pm

King Ken wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Baby Steps!!!

Say it again for the folks in the back.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#140 » by jayu70 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:58 pm

kg01 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Say it again for the folks in the back.

:lol:

Return to Atlanta Hawks