ImageImageImage

Welcome Trey Burke

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Re: Welcome Trey Burke 

Post#121 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:42 am

Trey Burke has been phenomenal in his small minutes and yet has only played in 2 games and seems to be an afterthought to Brett.

I think we're missing a major opportunity at some scoring production, here.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#122 » by agiaco » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 am

Kobblehead wrote:Trey Burke has been phenomenal in his small minutes and yet has only played in 2 games and seems to be an afterthought to Brett.

I've been thinking the same thing since before he even played his first game. He provides a lot of energy and scoring punch. What he offered as a drive and distribute guard in his limited minutes looked quite good as well. Legitimately think he could be one of the best shooters on the team if he had that chance.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#123 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Trey Burke has been phenomenal in his small minutes and yet has only played in 2 games and seems to be an afterthought to Brett.

I'm kinda surprised that Brett doesn't at least throw him out there on Embiid's load management nights when the team can't get anything going in the half court (not that their offense ever looks very good). I think Neto's probably the better overall player, but Burke is the best off the bounce creator on this weird ass roster.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#124 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Raul Neto is one of those guys that knows where to go and knows what to do, but is usually completely unproductive on the court. McConnell was like that, too. I really hate bringing guys like that onto the roster. Coaches tend to favor those guys because they can trust them and are completely blinded by the lack of production they provide.

Meanwhile a production machine like Burke is buried on the bench.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#125 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:39 pm

What do you expect, seeing how Shayok is not getting opportunities it is clear we deserve a better coach.
Horrible takes since 2016
agiaco
Analyst

Post#126 » by agiaco » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:31 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:What do you expect, seeing how Shayok is not getting opportunities it is clear we deserve a better coach.

With that logic Bolden should be replacing Scott and O'Quinn as a backup.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#127 » by youngcrev » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Raul Neto is one of those guys that knows where to go and knows what to do, but is usually completely unproductive on the court. McConnell was like that, too. I really hate bringing guys like that onto the roster. Coaches tend to favor those guys because they can trust them and are completely blinded by the lack of production they provide.

Meanwhile a production machine like Burke is buried on the bench.

They seem to think Richardson is a primary playmaking guard (I don't see it) or are at least are experimenting with the idea, so along those lines, I get preferring Neto's game. Much better defender, probably a little better as a set shooter, and as you described, more likely to just make that right play in the offense. He's probably a little better as a guy that just feeds the post to let Joel eat, though to me, having someone that can get in the lane, collapse a defense, and get Jo some actual easy buckets from time to time would be more helpful. When you think about it, it's kinda amazing that Jo is as efficient as he is considering how few of those easy looks he gets off someone else creating.

The Simmons splits could use a guy like that too.

The fact that we're talking about a late free agency, minimum signing as the best off the bounce creator on the team is just such a ridiculous predicament to be in as a team with title aspirations.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#128 » by youngcrev » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:What do you expect, seeing how Shayok is not getting opportunities it is clear we deserve a better coach.

:lol:

Can you link up with Smitty to do a deep dive into the 10 reason Shayok should be starting on our team right now?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#129 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:46 pm

I just think per-minute production trumps responsible play, particular when it comes to bench players.

We see Jabari Parker lighting it up in Atlanta. Manny Mudiay lighting it up in Utah. Trey Burke should be allowed to light it up off our bench in a green light role. Especially given our unique predicament of not having anyone that can score on the ball for us.

This whole nonproductive caretaker obsession Brett has had with our reserve Gs is why we get no production from the bench year after year.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#130 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:05 pm

youngcrev wrote:

:lol:

Can you link up with Smitty to do a deep dive into the 10 reason Shayok should be starting on our team right now?

No need for 10 reasons, there is one: he can score, something we desperately need.
Defensively the truth is with this coach it doesn't matter, his defensive schemes are god awful, so may as well put a traffic cone on the floor.
Horrible takes since 2016
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#131 » by Da ThRONe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm

When it was announced that Burke was going to the 76ers I thought it was obvious his skillset was missing from the team. Now it's clearly obvious his skillset is missing from the team and he can't get in the game. I don't know what Brown is waiting on the most likely solution is on the bench.
agiaco
Analyst

Post#132 » by agiaco » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:When it was announced that Burke was going to the 76ers I thought it was obvious his skillset was missing from the team. Now it's clearly obvious his skillset is missing from the team and he can't get in the game. I don't what Brown is waiting on the most likely solution is on the bench.

Because Brett clown is really not a good coach.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#133 » by phillynative » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:42 pm

He is playing well enougg to get minutes to show what he can bring. What i would like to see more is him drawing contact driving the ball. We need to get to the line more.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,155

Post#134 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:46 pm

I think he's been playing better than Neto in limited minutes. Should be part of our 10-man rotation IMO.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#135 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 pm

Burke has been really good. Always value production (Burke) over caretakers (Neto).
agiaco
Analyst

Post#136 » by agiaco » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Burke has been really good. Always value production (Burke) over caretakers (Neto).

He had at least two good shots yesterday that were halfway down too. I like that he's getting a chance now.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#137 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Agree 100% with this. He should be considered an instant offense type of threat coming off the bench. How he has been used thus far has been somewhat irritating, but it's expected from Brett. If Isaiah Cannan were here, Brett would be playing him 30 minutes a night.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager

Post#138 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:13 pm

I wonder if we'd have a better margin of victory by playing Trey over Neto.

He has Neto beat in RPM (+1.66 vs +0.08), BPM (-0.7 vs -2.9), and RAPTOR (+3.3 vs + 0.8).

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#139 » by Winejk » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:37 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I wonder if we'd have a better margin of victory playing Trey over Neto.

He has Neto beat in RPM (+1.66 vs +0.08), BPM (-0.7 vs -2.9), and RAPTOR (+3.3 vs + 0.8).

My recollection is Burke picked up a lot of stats in some of the huge blowouts we've had recently, so I'm not sure all these advance stats you are relying on are truly indicative of what is going on.

I do think Brown should play both Neto and Burke depending on the situation and opponent. But admittedly it has been hard to take Neto out because 1) he's been shooting the 3 lights out, and 2) his defense is a lot better than I expected. So while I think Burke can get to the rim and possibly create better, arguably 3 point shooting and defense are more important with this team.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager

Post#140 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Winejk wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:I wonder if we'd have a better margin of victory playing Trey over Neto.

My recollection is Burke picked up a lot of stats in some of the huge blowouts we've had recently, so I'm not sure all these advance stats you are relying on are truly indicative of what is going on.

I do think Brown should play both Neto and Burke depending on the situation and opponent. But admittedly it has been hard to take Neto out because 1) he's been shooting the 3 lights out, and 2) his defense is a lot better than I expected. So while I think Burke can get to the rim and possibly create better, arguably 3 point shooting and defense are more important with this team.

It is a small sample size, but it still makes you wonder what would happen if they played equal minutes. I like Neto, but I disagree that his skillset is more important to this team. Everyone else in our rotation (besides Korkmaz) is a good defender, so I think we can sacrifice some defense for shot creation and lane penetration.

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers