Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#81 » by J_T » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:36 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
2011Champs wrote:I’m not on board with Carlisle’s tactics and rotation gimmicks much of the time , but the problem is, who could Cuban hire better than him? I can’t think of any good available candidates. I think Carlisle will be coach until he decides he wants out.

Plenty of good assistant coaches out there. Becky Hammon and Ime Udoka would be good ones. Darrell Armstrong seems like the obvious candidate to be next in line though

If he is so good, why isn't he telling Carlisle about the things you think he is doing wrong? :)
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#82 » by Archx » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Spoiler:
Dirk wrote:I am a simple man.
You lose to a clown show once, you get my attention. You lose to the same abomination of team twice... you're definitely under the microscope.

Not having a team ready to play after you were punked at home days before is beyond unaceptable.

Minute patterns
KP

LD

Yesterday, it felt like LD should have been back on the floor earlier, although whenhe did get back in, he had some dumb stuff. 95-94 when he was back in the game after having 15 points in the 3rd quarter.

It did feel like it was a game that he should have went outside the usual minutes pattern though.

Garbage play with 1 min left
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Like... wtf is this?

I hope they shame KP in forcing him to watch this stuff. Guy is 7'3 or whatever... no way he needs to rush things when he does get the ball in those spots. Surely we will get to a point where we will see him being more patient, facing up smaller guys, face them up, pump fake, draw a foul, whatever. But just do things within his control and not this wild mess. Anyway... of all times... to have this play... with a minute left... just dumb. (wasted the last timeout after this if not mistaken).

Timeout mismanagement. In one game keeps it and doesnt have the team foul (say Lakers), then yesterday get the quick 2, but no timeouts left. A week ago they take a quick 3 to attempt the tie against the very same team. Then to top it all up, they get a break and a inbounds play... and shambles with 0.8 left.

Quit having a soft team out there and hold players accountable.
Vent/over.

When Dirk gets angry, you know it's rough lol. But his TO management is something that always bothered me with him. I am always afraid when opposing team goes up 7 points, or something close to that, that he will start taking TO's like they're candies. He has to be way more tactical and be aware if the game is close that he is probably going to need them towards the end.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#83 » by dirkforpres » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:03 pm

J_T wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
2011Champs wrote:I’m not on board with Carlisle’s tactics and rotation gimmicks much of the time , but the problem is, who could Cuban hire better than him? I can’t think of any good available candidates. I think Carlisle will be coach until he decides he wants out.

Plenty of good assistant coaches out there. Becky Hammon and Ime Udoka would be good ones. Darrell Armstrong seems like the obvious candidate to be next in line though

If he is so good, why isn't he telling Carlisle about the things you think he is doing wrong? :)

Do you tell your boss how to do his job?
FIRE JASON KIDD
J_T
Veteran

Post#84 » by J_T » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
J_T wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Do you tell your boss how to do his job?

Yeah, if I think he is wrong I tell him that. I'm not paid to keep my mouth shut. I would go step further and claim that any assistant coach that doesn't suggest different approaches to the head coach is not earning his paycheck.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,540

Post#85 » by jpengland » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Carlisle is a brilliant coach.

There isn't a coach in the league who you can't pick fault with 100s of decisions a game.

Cuban won't fire Carlisle any time soon, and rightly so. And now Carlisle has Doncic and Porzingis, he won't be taking another job, either.

Hes here to stay guys.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#86 » by jpengland » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Archx wrote:
Spoiler:
Dirk wrote:I am a simple man.
You lose to a clown show once, you get my attention. You lose to the same abomination of team twice... you're definitely under the microscope.

Not having a team ready to play after you were punked at home days before is beyond unaceptable.

Minute patterns
KP

LD

Yesterday, it felt like LD should have been back on the floor earlier, although whenhe did get back in, he had some dumb stuff. 95-94 when he was back in the game after having 15 points in the 3rd quarter.

It did feel like it was a game that he should have went outside the usual minutes pattern though.

Garbage play with 1 min left

Like... wtf is this?

I hope they shame KP in forcing him to watch this stuff. Guy is 7'3 or whatever... no way he needs to rush things when he does get the ball in those spots. Surely we will get to a point where we will see him being more patient, facing up smaller guys, face them up, pump fake, draw a foul, whatever. But just do things within his control and not this wild mess. Anyway... of all times... to have this play... with a minute left... just dumb. (wasted the last timeout after this if not mistaken).

Timeout mismanagement. In one game keeps it and doesnt have the team foul (say Lakers), then yesterday get the quick 2, but no timeouts left. A week ago they take a quick 3 to attempt the tie against the very same team. Then to top it all up, they get a break and a inbounds play... and shambles with 0.8 left.

Quit having a soft team out there and hold players accountable.
Vent/over.

When Dirk gets angry, you know it's rough lol. But his TO management is something that always bothered me with him. I am always afraid when opposing team goes up 7 points, or something close to that, that he will start taking TO's like they're candies. He has to be way more tactical and be aware if the game is close that he is probably going to need them towards the end.

The flip side is you don't take the TOs and you won't need them at the end, anyway, as the game has gone.

I trust that he's smart and experienced enough to take them when he feels he needs them. Of course with hindsight it may feel like the wrong call but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#87 » by 2011Champs » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Fizdale is better than Carlisle in the sample size we’ve seen this season.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#88 » by deb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:59 pm

jpengland wrote:Carlisle is a brilliant coach.

There isn't a coach in the league who you can't pick fault with 100s of decisions a game.

Cuban won't fire Carlisle any time soon, and rightly so. And now Carlisle has Doncic and Porzingis, he won't be taking another job, either.

Hes here to stay guys.

Yeah, I checked the Celtic forum when the Mavs played them a couple of days ago, and they were complaining a lot about Stevens and his stupid rotations. I know for a fact that a lot of Heat fans on this forum are constantly on the hunt for Spo's head. And both are great coaches. All coaches make what appear to be really stupid decisions, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. One thing is to have a plan going into a game, quite another is to then actually implement it while the other team is doing it's best to disrupt you. These are just kneejerk reactions and Carlisle is a good coach and is here to stay...
J_T
Veteran

Post#89 » by J_T » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:57 am

Carlisle is one of the best coaches in the league and I don't think the time has passed him as it has been mentioned. Carlisle was always ahead of time and by other head coaches' admission he actually popularized certain things that the rest of the league then copied. Carlisle participates in two kinds of interviews - the interviews he has to participate in and the interviews he wants to participate in. In former he sounds like a guy off the street. In latter he provides analysis that is almost always way above postings on this forum and it's very interesting to listen. You can disagree with something he says, but if anything, he is still trying to be ahead of the league, not just follow the rest.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#90 » by Pinkyring » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:27 am

I've been under the stance a while that firing him sounds good if u can find a replacement. I'm sure his reputation as being hard to get along with is a factor in us not getting free agents and he is 60. I'd like to go younger but again who that guy is idk, he's really smart and like most smart guys he does a lot of dumb stuff rotations wise, mostly the situational substitutions, having curry n against the lakers cost us that game when we needed a stop, having Terry in game 2 of the finals when chalmers lost him for the 3 very well could have cost us the championship.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#91 » by jpengland » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:42 am

Pinkyring wrote:I've been under the stance a while that firing him sounds good if u can find a replacement. I'm sure his reputation as being hard to get along with is a factor in us not getting free agents and he is 60. I'd like to go younger but again who that guy is idk, he's really smart and like most smart guys he does a lot of dumb stuff rotations wise, mostly the situational substitutions, having curry n against the lakers cost us that game when we needed a stop, having Terry in game 2 of the finals when chalmers lost him for the 3 very well could have cost us the championship.

And if Curry knocks down a couple of threes, Curry gets the praise and Noone notices Carlipsle chose to put him in when he did.

With hindsight it's easy to find plenty of decisions which didn't appear to pay off for any coach.
J_T
Veteran

Post#92 » by J_T » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:35 am

Pinkyring wrote:I've been under the stance a while that firing him sounds good if u can find a replacement. I'm sure his reputation as being hard to get along with is a factor in us not getting free agents and he is 60.

I thought about it quite a bit for last year and came to a conclusion that players that like that kind of coaches are - European players. Now sure, he is not Obradovic.
Read on Twitter

But most of good European players prefer tough coaches who demand discipline. They don't like playing in chaotic clubs where players control how the game is being played and even who is being traded where, like in all LeBron's clubs. I am certain that Carlisle's reputation is at worst a non-factor among European players and at best it works to Mavs' advantage. However I am certain that there are American players that feel similar. I would start from the group of players that don't want to play with LeBron and see what is left after I remove those players, that simply want to be the top dog - doing what LeBron does but in their own club.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#93 » by 2011Champs » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:22 pm

It may only be for one game, but in my eyes Carlisle had a bit of redemption. He chose a good starting rotation and actually stuck with all starters over 30 minutes each. I hope this becomes the new normal. This will help the consistency of the team so much, especially for guys like KP and Curry.
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#94 » by Archx » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:30 pm

2011Champs wrote:It may only be for one game, but in my eyes Carlisle had a bit of redemption. He chose a good starting rotation and actually stuck with all starters over 30 minutes each. I hope this becomes the new normal. This will help the consistency of the team so much, especially for guys like KP and Curry.

What i am most impressed with, he brought back important players when it mattered in the 4th and he didn't wait until last few minutes. That for me, was the difference in his coaching this game.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,603

Post#95 » by Dirk » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:56 am

Absinthe wrote:I think the front office deserves some credit. I have been critical, but this team has great chemistry and recent drafting has been very good. Brunson is turning into a solid rotational player. Finney-Smith and Powell have been very smart pick ups too.

Absolutely.
It sucked to have missed out on the chance at getting some picks (Memphis-Iguodala, Clippers-Harkless), but I appreciated the 'no dumb contracts' and especially when they zoned in on Delon Wright. (hated waiting on danny green though).

The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit. Some guys have had their struggles (THJ, Powell, Brunson, Curry), but we've seen how everyone pitches in and contributes when others aren't and now you are at a point where you legitimately feel like all these guys actually deserve to play.

Carlisle has also been adapting and being more flexibile with his rotations. He seemingly has been able to read the games well to the point of not bringing Luka back in at all or bringing him in when the bench guys are actually doing well, but you feel a run coming from the other team.

Also, some tidbits of game preparation.

Some D vs Houson
Spoiler:

Zone D vs Wolves (also used the same vs LAL)
Spoiler:

The work in progress is getting KP in better spots, get him better shots on offense. Everything else seems to be on point right now --- you can make a case that the bench would have beaten the Wolves and Pels. On a back to back. That says it all right now.
60/21/10
J_T
Veteran

Post#96 » by J_T » Thu Dec 5, 2019 7:33 pm

To be honest, I was expecting gifs of his behavior during the games. :D
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#97 » by dirkforpres » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:49 am

Time to bump this thread. Rick is arguably the worst coach in the entire bubble. I can’t stand him
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#98 » by fuller4379 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:56 pm

Carlisle can’t put the ball in the bucket for them in the fourth quarter. The players need to man up and play better when it counts.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#99 » by daoneandonly » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:03 am

Yeah if you want to blame management, the fault lies on Nelson/Cuban way more than Carlisle. The Powell extension was moronic when the guy was healthy, now he's untradeable. This oh he's a cool guy, good for the community/locker room nonsense needs to stop if the guy isn't great on the court. His expiring deal could have been dealt for a needed piece, but no, we had to extend him because Nellie/Cuban see him as the steal of the Rondo trade.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#100 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:35 pm

I think Carlisle need to be more flexible, offensively the team is becoming too predictable, and defensively the team is terrible. He should be more determined to bench player for not playing defense (see what Pop has been doing in Duncan era), including Luka. No matter it is due to physical limitation (e.g. tried) or lack of mental toughness or willingness to play defense. I think this can set the great example to the whole team. In late game, involve KP more offensively if he is shooting well that night, either in low post or the foul line area. It is not that easy to double team him. Would rather have KP shoot over shorter defender than seeing Luka shoot a step back 3.

Return to Dallas Mavericks