Secret Sauce: The Terry Rozier Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Re: Scarence Terrence: The Terry Rozier Thread 

Post#441 » by Snidely FC » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:15 pm

atrocious game for Rozier against Boston

only upshot to Rozier not looking like any franchise trajectory-changing solution at starting PG is that 5 out of the top 8 projected picks in next year's draft are PGs so maybe Rozier's presence won't prevent us from selecting best player available, especially if bpa is a game changing PG
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#442 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Nov 8, 2019 1:18 pm

Snidely FC wrote:atrocious game for Rozier against Boston

only upshot to Rozier not looking like any franchise trajectory-changing solution at starting PG is that 5 out of the top 8 projected picks in next year's draft are PGs so maybe Rozier's presence won't prevent us from selecting best player available, especially if bpa is a game changing PG

We should trade him and tank for one of those picks.
It has been written...
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#443 » by 316Hornets » Fri Nov 8, 2019 8:34 pm

So far, Rozier's advanced stats show him having the worst year of his career outside of assist percentage and free throw rate. His BPM is the lowest of the last 3 years.

The early indication is that this was a horrible pick. Watching him play, he looks confused to me. Unsure of whether he should take the shot or pass to a teammate. I would expect him to become more of a playmaker and less of a turnover machine once he figures out the offense and the players.

Way too early to call this a busted pickup. Hopefully, Coach can figure out how to fit all these parts together and at least look like we're progressing.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#444 » by fatlever » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:07 pm

his inability to beat ANYONE of the dribble is alarming. therefore he never has any space, esp not with this roster. works so much better as 2nd playmaker when graham is on floor.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#445 » by BigSlam » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Terry had an offer on the table to go to Phoenix during free agency but he chose us.

With them 6-3 and getting some impressive wins so far compared to how he is playing here, do you think he has any regrets?

Although admittedly I haven't seen a single Phoenix game - so maybe their record is fools gold?
B B M F 'ers
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#446 » by BlackOutBuzz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 pm

BigSlam wrote:Terry had an offer on the table to go to Phoenix during free agency but he chose us.

With them 6-3 and getting some impressive wins so far compared to how he is playing here, do you think he has any regrets?

Although admittedly I haven't seen a single Phoenix game - so maybe their record is fools gold?
There was a story that ran a few months back about Jeff Schwartz clients Rubio and Lamb and free agency. Rubio was considered bound for Indiana, the Suns were pushing for Rozier, and Schwartz was working on a deal for Lamb to return to Charlotte, though he also had interest from the Pacers. The gist of the story was how Schwartz steered Lamb toward Indy after Rubio spurned them, but it's not hard to find a lot of purple and teal in tea leaves.

Kemba leaves for Boston
Hornets pivot to Rozier
Suns lose on Rozier, sign Rubio
Pacers miss out on Rubio/Bogdanovic, moved to Brogdon/Lamb.
Hornets lose both UConn guys

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#447 » by fatlever » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:17 pm

BigSlam wrote:Terry had an offer on the table to go to Phoenix during free agency but he chose us.

rubio >> rozier... so that is a factor
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#448 » by UNCNYC » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Keep starting Rozier and trade him for whatever we can get for him imo. I doubt we can get a first rounder but who knows...
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#449 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:44 pm

What do we think of him so far?

He's averaging 17 points and 5 assists. He's shooting above career norms (42%) and hitting 38% of his threes.

I think the addition keeps this team competitive and boosts morale. I don't think his presence is harming development at all. In fact I think he's a good influence because he never quits. I'm thankful we have some leadership in place after losing Kemba. We lost Kemba's positive sportsmanlike attitude along with All-NBA talent.

Is Rozier worth 19 million per season?

Imagine if these numbers belonged to Nic Batum.
It has been written...
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#450 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:What do we think of him so far?

He's averaging 17 points and 5 assists. He's shooting above career norms (42%) and hitting 38% of his threes.

I think the addition keeps this team competitive and boosts morale. I don't think his presence is harming development at all. In fact I think he's a good influence because he never quits. I'm thankful we have some leadership in place after losing Kemba. We lost Kemba's positive sportsmanlike attitude along with All-NBA talent.

His contract is perfectly fine, and easily moveable if we wanted to go that route. His deep ball has also been a pleasant surprise.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#451 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:What do we think of him so far?

His contract is perfectly fine, and easily moveable if we wanted to go that route. His deep ball has also been a pleasant surprise.

I get the feeling next year is a breakout year for Monk so with Graham way ahead of schedule and ready to start, this might be a 1-year wonder. My asking price would be pretty high.
It has been written...
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#452 » by UNCNYC » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am

Only thing that woulda been better is if we coulda got more back for Kemba. Imagine if we got 2 first rounders for Kemba to go along with this young squand instead of just Rozier
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#453 » by Bassman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:43 am

Start reviewing which teams have at least two decent quality centers but need help at the point. That’s where we should focus on a deal. I think Rozier is Ok but he is being eclipsed by a rapidly rising star (Graham) and a star in waiting (Monk).
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#454 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Bassman wrote:Start reviewing which teams have at least two decent quality centers but need help at the point. That’s where we should focus on a deal. I think Rozier is Ok but he is being eclipsed by a rapidly rising star (Graham) and a star in waiting (Monk).

Trading Rozier is easy. Getting back a missing piece is a bit of a challenge. Most teams are set at PG, including the Hornets now apparently (definitely) with the emergence of Graham. Teams that could use Terry are: Pistons, Knicks, Bulls, Clippers, Wolves, Mavericks.

Pistons - They can get draft assets for Drummond. But they have Reggie Jackson expiring. If the Hornets want to get out of the contract they can probably do it without sacrificing assets.

Knicks - They have a surplus of power forwards and a young developing team. Hornets could aim for Portis or Randle. Both can play center but neither is the dominant post presence we need. With the emergence of PJ, neither make a ton of sense. As a backup PF/C I'd probably go for Portis.

Bulls - They're seemingly set at all positions for the future including PG but maybe they want to compete now. It's tough to do that with rookie Coby White. Thad Young can play the Marvin role. Maybe Kris Dunn can be acquired to give us a backup PG. He's up for a new contract but there's not much of a market for him as a starter. The defense is nice.

Clippers - They're all in. So it's tough to find a piece on their roster that they'd give up even though they need to upgrade Beverly. So we can forget about Harrell. Beverly + Zubac works in the trade machine. But then Beverly is making 12 million for the next 3 years as Devonté's backup.

Wolves - Dieng works. Teague expiring works in the same way as Reggie Jackson with no picks changing hands. As a playoff bound team they're not giving up a key piece like Covington.

Mavericks - A deal centered on Powell works. Like T. Young, he could take on the Marvin role.

As you can see, turning Rozier into a dominant center given the embarrassment of the riches at his position in the NBA is no easy feat.
It has been written...
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#455 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:36 pm

Terry now saying the Knicks offered him a contract over the summer as well.

That makes it:

Charlotte
Phoenix
New York

It appears he was in demand - or at least that’s the picture he is painting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Buzzzz
Senior
And1: 552

Post#456 » by Buzzzz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:13 pm

Three teams that needed a PG so I don't know why you'd question whether it's true that they made him an offer.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#457 » by 316Hornets » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:21 pm

Rozier is starting to make this team his own.

Since Bacon was taken out of the starting lineup, Rozier has improved his game and been a bigger part of the offense:

Without Bacon: fg% 48.1/3pt% 36.7/ppg 20.4/3.4 assists/3.9 turnovers

With Bacon: fg% 38.5/3pt% 33.9/ppg 15.2/5.1 assists/3.3 turnovers

Advanced stats

Without Bacon: 110 Offensive rating, 118 Defensive rating, 26.1 Usage, 60.3% True Shooting

With Bacon: 97 Offensive rating, 112 Defensive rating, 25.1 Usage, 50.5% True Shooting
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#458 » by fatlever » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:24 pm

316Hornets wrote:Rozier is starting to make this team his own.

Since Bacon was taken out of the starting lineup, Rozier has improved his game and been a bigger part of the offense:

Without Bacon: fg% 48.1/3pt% 36.7/ppg 20.4/3.4 assists/3.9 turnovers

With Bacon: fg% 38.5/3pt% 33.9/ppg 15.2/5.1 assists/3.3 turnovers

Advanced stats

Without Bacon: 110 Offensive rating, 118 Defensive rating, 26.1 Usage, 60.3% True Shooting

With Bacon: 97 Offensive rating, 112 Defensive rating, 25.1 Usage, 50.5% True Shooting

less about bacon, more about graham and roz playing more off ball
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#459 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 am

Well thank God Bacon lost his spot to Graham. Graham is better for Rozier and Malik. Bacon is now buried behind Nic Batum, Malik Monk and Cody Martin. He crashed pretty hard.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#460 » by yosemiteben » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:45 am

Good Lord, we're -8 in ORTG vs. DRTG with Rozier on / Bacon off the floor? Yikes.

Return to Charlotte Hornets