ImageImageImageImageImage

Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Which Lakers team wins in a 7 Game series?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:11 am

2010 Lakers:
43%
Kobe, Pau, MWP, Fish, Bynum
29%
6th man: Lamar
7%
2020 Lakers:
14%
LBJ, AD, Green, Bradley, Dwight,
7%
6th man: Kuz
No votes

Total votes: 14

XXBKXX
Senior
And1: 253

Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#1 » by XXBKXX » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:11 am

Talking with my buddies we all noticed how eerily similar this roster construction is vs the 2010 Lakers.

2010 vs 2020 Lakers:

Kobe vs LBJ
Pau vs AD
MWP vs DGreen
Fisher vs Avery Bradley
Bynum vs Dwight

6th man:
Lamar vs Kuz

Both teams have solid defense and can take the twin towers approach. Then they can also go "small" with AD and Pau at 5 with Kuz and LO at the 4. As the 6th man, both Kuz and LO bring fire from the bench. LBJ and Kobe are also both older in their careers (respectively) but still killing it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
BK
-----------------------
Lakers / Angels / Dolphins
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Roster similarities: 2010 Kobe/Pau vs 2020 LBJ/AD Teams 

Post#2 » by Landsberger » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Hmmm.... I'm not seeing it. None of those comparisons is close if you're talking about how those players play the game.... really there is almost no similarities.
XXBKXX
Senior

Post#3 » by XXBKXX » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:58 pm

I think youre getting too caught up in the individual playing style .. need to take a step back n see the forest in the trees... ie the overall team construction is very similar. Both teams can go big "twin towers" and then seamlessly switch to a "smaller/skilled" lineup with AD/Pau at 5 and Kuz/LO at 4.

Also both lineups have 3&D wings & guards sprinkled amongst them. The best 2 players are an ageing wing and a 4 ...IMO its a little more difficult when a 4 is one of your star players...

BK
-----------------------
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#4 » by Spanish_Laker » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm

2010 Lakers in 7.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
XXBKXX
Senior

Post#5 » by XXBKXX » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Nice... I agree I think it will be a close series too... Given that fact.. I also say 2010 Lakers in 7... I think it comes down to last 5 minutes of the series and Kobe will close while Bron will be "making the right play" by trying to make someone else the hero ... IMO itll be easier for Kobe to close (or hit clutch FTs) than to continually rely on someone like Kuz to hit open 3s to end the series. Or an AD iso pushed out to just below the 3 pt line..

(If you cant tell, i HATE our offense on this current team when we try to close... we rely too much on unnecessary 3s and/or an AD iso by the 3 pt line)

Spanish_Laker wrote:2010 Lakers in 7.

BK
-----------------------
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#6 » by myersia » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:47 pm

I think 2009 lakers are more accurate of a comparison. I’ll go with 09 lakers. Team was super underrated and super talented on both sides of the floor.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#7 » by zimpy27 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:00 pm

I don't see the similarities of the individual players tbh.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,228

Post#8 » by TheHartBreakKid » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:31 pm

It's hard to bet against a proven championship team vs a team in progress that has a long way to go to reach that level of chemistry and cohesiveness.

I think this team is more talent, and if they can avoid injuries and continue to develop chemistry by year's end, I would favor them in a though 7 game series against the 2010 team. As of right now though, 2010 would win, probably in 5 or 6. They were better coached, and proved themselves in terms of playing consistent, tough, cohesive championship level ball.

Not to mention, as much as I like Green and Bradley on D, Kobe would eat them alive, and this version of Lebron couldn't check Kobe consistently. Pau would give AD a very difficult time, just like how he gave KG a very difficult time. Odom/Bynum/Pau would neutralize our huge inside advantage right now, and while no one is stopping Lebron, MWP would give him headaches all series long.

Again though, I think this team is more talented, but they aren't a better team. Atleast not yet. Their progress has been incredible and ahead of schedule though, imo, and there is no reason why they can't reach that level by year's end, but many things can still go wrong. You need a very disciplined, in sync defense to stop 2010 Kobe, like the Celtics had. We have the defensive talent, but we have a long way to go reach that level of team defense.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#9 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Its also the offensive system. The ball went into and touched the post. That compressed defenses. Today the ball swings the perimeter. Drive Dive and dish. Thats why we have been vulnerable to run outs, with AD on the perimeter.

With that said, ive seen coaching adjustments to push AD down low. And i believe if he can adjust his game to accomodate for that, we will be successful. Stop Bron on the perimeter, then what do we have? We have to diversify our attack. Pau spent time on the blocks, AD will also have to, to be successful
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#10 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:31 pm

TheHartBreakKid wrote:It's hard to bet against a proven championship team vs a team in progress that has a long way to go to reach that level of chemistry and cohesiveness.

I think this team is more talent, and if they can avoid injuries and continue to develop chemistry by year's end, I would favor them in a though 7 game series against the 2010 team. As of right now though, 2010 would win, probably in 5 or 6. They were better coached, and proved themselves in terms of playing consistent, tough, cohesive championship level ball.

Not to mention, as much as I like Green and Bradley on D, Kobe would eat them alive, and this version of Lebron couldn't check Kobe consistently. Pau would give AD a very difficult time, just like how he gave KG a very difficult time. Odom/Bynum/Pau would neutralize our huge inside advantage right now, and while no one is stopping Lebron, MWP would give him headaches all series long.

Again though, I think this team is more talented, but they aren't a better team. Atleast not yet. Their progress has been incredible and ahead of schedule though, imo, and there is no reason why they can't reach that level by year's end, but many things can still go wrong. You need a very disciplined, in sync defense to stop 2010 Kobe, like the Celtics had. We have the defensive talent, but we have a long way to go reach that level of team defense.

Pretty good points but please note the this version of Lebron is 35 years old trying to be compared to a 31 year Kobe?
That team Kobe team were very physical and disciplined, I’m not sure if they get away with that type of play today.
This recent team seems more athletic and moves the ball better imo but then again they’re playing a pretty soft schedule right now.
Slink
Rookie
And1: 936

Post#11 » by Slink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Coaching advantage 2010 Lakers.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 475

Post#12 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:38 am

2010 Kobe/Pau.
No one in this current team could stop Kobe. Not even Danny Green or Avery Bradley.
MWP could slow down LBJ. He has the size and strength to body him up and we all know that he is a former DPoY so his defense will be there all game long.
Pau and AD is also a good match up. Offensively they are both talented and AD is a very good defensive player but let's not forget that Pau held his own against a player of KG's caliber.
Bynum and Howard is an interesting match up as well. Back in the day they were the top centers of the league. Dwight is better on defense while Bynum is the better offensive player. This match-up right here is the hardest to judge.
Fish versus Bradley. Both are defensive players but if this is a close game I'll give the advantage to Fish. Guy is clutch and fearless when it matters.
Lamar versus Kuz. I'll take Lamar's length and versatility over Kuz's offense and shooting. Lamar brings more on the table and plays a better D.
The coaching of Phil over Vogel all day.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#13 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:19 pm

dAdo dA dEvil wrote:2010 Kobe/Pau.
No one in this current team could stop Kobe. Not even Danny Green or Avery Bradley.
MWP could slow down LBJ. He has the size and strength to body him up and we all know that he is a former DPoY so his defense will be there all game long.
Pau and AD is also a good match up. Offensively they are both talented and AD is a very good defensive player but let's not forget that Pau held his own against a player of KG's caliber.
Bynum and Howard is an interesting match up as well. Back in the day they were the top centers of the league. Dwight is better on defense while Bynum is the better offensive player. This match-up right here is the hardest to judge.
Fish versus Bradley. Both are defensive players but if this is a close game I'll give the advantage to Fish. Guy is clutch and fearless when it matters.
Lamar versus Kuz. I'll take Lamar's length and versatility over Kuz's offense and shooting. Lamar brings more on the table and plays a better D.
The coaching of Phil over Vogel all day.

Very interesting and fun topic here, one can just use their imagination what might transpire.
Kobe shot 40.5%FG vs Boston. averaged 28 pts on 23 shots. Lakers are currently no. 1 in DRTG, blocked shots (with AD,JMG AND Howard patrolling the lanes) etc but then again they faced bad teams lately.
MWP could slow down Lebron?, maybe but then again bear in mind we are talking about the 35 yr old Lebron here.
A lot will depend really with the rules, how much can you get away with. Current rules might favor the 31 yr old Kobe. I love Pau but AD is so much more athletic IMO.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#14 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Yeah I see the similarities, purple and gold unis and sometimes white.
Forum permissions