ImageImageImage

Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion.

Moderator: ijspeelman

tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#1 » by tundraknight » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:21 am

The Cavaliers are projected to be one of the worst teams in the NBA for the 2019/20 season.

So they’ll most likely retain their 2020 1st Round Pick which is Top 10 Protected yet again.

So I figured we might as well have another thread discussing player prospects for the 2020 Draft, as well as the Cavaliers draft positioning throughout this upcoming season.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#2 » by tundraknight » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:32 am

What players are you guys looking forward to watching that you think could potentially be draft targets in the Top 10 range?

Personally I’m looking forward to watching Memphis Tigers games to see the combo forward Precious Achiuwa and center James Wiseman play together.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#3 » by gflem » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm

It is so early for me to be looking at prospects for next years draft, but I was just thinking about this. It looks like we should be in the running for worst record again this season, so I am looking forward to some of the posters here that are on top of the top college and international players that will be available in the draft next year dropping some names so that I can watch college games or clips of euro league games and just see some of the potential these guys have.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#4 » by Revenged25 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Deni Avdija, SF from Isreal.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by tundraknight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:31 am

jbk1234 wrote:Cavs desperately need a rim protector with Sexton and Garland in the back court. TT and Nance are okay help defenders but the really don't have the lengthy to block anyone from behind. Love is Love on defense.

You mentioned this in the game thread and it’s one of the reasons why I think Wiseman could be one of the Cavaliers next draft targets.

Read on Twitter
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:05 am

I think post lottery is when they will look at bigs assuming they pick up another late first at the dl or on draft day like last year
unless Wiseman lives up to the hype and is there for the taking in the high lottery...not sure what other bigs would make any sense in the top 10 other than maybe Stewart or Jalen Smith in the 7-10 range or a sleeper is Jerrico Sims Texas.
I like Quetta Utah st. & Bassey WK as mid to late round bargains, and in the 2nd any one of these bigs could prove worth the flier: Harms Purdue, Tshiebwe WV, Yurtseven Georgetown, & grad transfer Kerry Blackshear Florida ( got an extra year of eligibility after missing all of 16-17 but playing 3 seasons at VT
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by tundraknight » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:01 pm

Stillwater wrote:I think post lottery is when they will look at bigs assuming they pick up another late first at the dl or on draft day like last year
unless Wiseman lives up to the hype and is there for the taking in the high lottery...not sure what other bigs would make any sense in the top 10 other than maybe Stewart or Jalen Smith in the 7-10 range or a sleeper is Jerrico Sims Texas.
I like Quetta Utah st. & Bassey WK as mid to late round bargains, and in the 2nd any one of these bigs could prove worth the flier: Harms Purdue, Tshiebwe WV, Yurtseven Georgetown, & grad transfer Kerry Blackshear Florida ( got an extra year of eligibility after missing all of 16-17 but playing 3 seasons at VT

Makur Maker is another intriguing big to keep on your radar. He’s currently trying to become eligible for the 2020 Draft.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27866921/no-10-recruit-makur-maker-petitions-eligible-2020-nba-draft
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 6, 2019 1:50 am

i fully expect Duke's Cassius Stanley and his 46" vert is going to easily climb up early mocks...not sure about his game overall just yet but pretty freakish athlete.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by tundraknight » Wed Nov 6, 2019 4:24 am

Wiseman with a Monster debut. 28 Points, 11 Rebounds, and 3 Blocks.

One thing I like about this video is how powerful his dunks look.

;time_continue=224
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by tundraknight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:07 am

I didn’t realize there was going to be this many awful teams this season. Plus all the injuries happening to teams like the Warriors and now the Kings with Fox and Bagley out.

So there might be a good chance the Cavaliers fall out the bottom 10.

Perhaps it depends on wether they finally trade TT and Love by the deadline. Or if they stay healthy.

Only time will tell I suppose.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#11 » by Revenged25 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:49 am

Honestly, although this is a horrible draft for us to be missing our pick considering we could get someone like Deni Avdija, who I think would be a great fit to start ahead of Cedi, I'm also happy to see this team looking good and playing competitively. It means we've been hitting on our picks and are closer to being ready to compete than we thought. Big issue is that TT is going to be a free agent and how will we look without him as I don't want to imagine the contract he's going to demand if the way he's playing continues.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by tundraknight » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:44 am

*Updates NBA Tankathon*

Wow there’s currently a 5-Way Tie for the 4th overall pick with a 4-9 record. (Bulls, Pistons, Cavaliers, Hawks, and Pelicans)

Hopefully the Bulls and Pistons can get it together.

Also it’s a shame that the Pelicans entire roster is basically injured.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by tundraknight » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:52 am

Revenged25 wrote:Honestly, although this is a horrible draft for us to be missing our pick considering we could get someone like Deni Avdija, who I think would be a great fit to start ahead of Cedi.

Yeah I’ve heard some good things about Deni Avdija. While he unfortunately probably wont be a franchise player like Luka Doncic, he still seems like he’ll be a very good “glue guy” that does a little bit of everything and has a high basketball IQ.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:52 am

I can't see this org doing the right amount of scouting of over seas prospects to think they would take Avdija at all. I mean I think RJ Hampton and Lamelo are probably not at all on their radar despite being early lottery projected prospects either.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by tundraknight » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:39 pm

If the Cavaliers acquire another mid to late 1st by trading one of their vets, Isaac Okoro sounds like he could be a good option if he declares.

Supposedly he “loves to play defense” and that’s his calling card.

https://fansided.com/2019/10/07/isaac-okoro-special-defensive-prospect/
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by tundraknight » Mon Dec 9, 2019 1:31 am

Stillwater wrote:I mean I think RJ Hampton and Lamelo are probably not at all on their radar despite being early lottery projected prospects either.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2855614-report-cavaliers-assistant-gm-scouted-lamelo-ball-rj-hampton-terry-armstrong

^ Actually both of those players have been reportedly scouted by the Cavaliers.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/12/06/cleveland-cavaliers-2020-nba-draft-rumors-lamelo-ball-kevin-love/

^ This is a much more recent link from 2 days ago stating the Cavaliers have “extensively scouted” Lamelo Ball.

“The Cavaliers have spent their last two lottery picks on combo guards, but Ball would be the tallest and, most importantly, most talented one they’ve drafted to date. If the Cavaliers end up with a top-three pick, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Ball in Cleveland next season.”
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#17 » by Revenged25 » Mon Dec 9, 2019 3:19 pm

tundraknight wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I mean I think RJ Hampton and Lamelo are probably not at all on their radar despite being early lottery projected prospects either.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2855614-report-cavaliers-assistant-gm-scouted-lamelo-ball-rj-hampton-terry-armstrong

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/12/06/cleveland-cavaliers-2020-nba-draft-rumors-lamelo-ball-kevin-love/

^ This is a much more recent link from 2 days ago stating the Cavaliers have “extensively scouted” Lamelo Ball.

“The Cavaliers have spent their last two lottery picks on combo guards, but Ball would be the tallest and, most importantly, most talented one they’ve drafted to date. If the Cavaliers end up with a top-three pick, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Ball in Cleveland next season.”

I hope not. A more ideal situation would be if we could trade back a pick or two to a team that wants Ball and we are able to get more assets in the trade.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 9, 2019 3:54 pm

whatever they do it will probably be wrong is my take at this point.
i mean beilein is not going to be here long after if they take ball
they cannot take another guard in the top 10 without moving somebody
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#19 » by gflem » Mon Dec 9, 2019 11:28 pm

Stillwater wrote:whatever they do it will probably be wrong is my take at this point.
i mean beilein is not going to be here long after if they take ball
they cannot take another guard in the top 10 without moving somebody

I can't imagine how much **** Big Daddy Ball would be talking about Beilien and all the rest of the players, coaches, management and probably the fans as well IF the Cavs draft Lamelo. Just draft the best big man in the draft and he can punch the guards in the face if they don't pass him the ball. It worked for Kevin Garnett so maybe it could work here.
Edit: Sorry about the sarcasm but I am feeling a bit angry about having to watch this team at the moment.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 9, 2019 11:44 pm

tundraknight wrote:

he might be better than Sexton and Garland combined on the team that wants a 1 man show so who knows, but his baggage, along with his style of play probably would require the trading of Garland unless he plays 6th man and definitely would not be a target of the Cavs in Beilein run "sets of unselfish sacrifice" and "goals of everyone is nothing unless they are 1"

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers