OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#761 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:40 pm

In Day 1 of Spectrum service and the early returns have me concerned. So far, I basically can't watch anything I want outside of my apartment. When I got ahold of tech sport they told me to wait 24 hours, so that's what I'll do.

But if I can't watch ESPN, Fox Sports, or really anything when I'm not in my home then that's a dealbreaker and I'll have to find something else.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#762 » by xTitan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:50 pm

I know Hulu Live raised their prices and now cost more than Youtube Tv, I pay $50.00 per month with YouTube Tv, but that is still way better than the $175.00 per month I was paying for Direct TV.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#763 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:In Day 1 of Spectrum service and the early returns have me concerned. So far, I basically can't watch anything I want outside of my apartment. When I got ahold of tech sport they told me to wait 24 hours, so that's what I'll do.

But if I can't watch ESPN, Fox Sports, or really anything when I'm not in my home then that's a dealbreaker and I'll have to find something else.

Do you just have cable or is it some sort of streaming service?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#764 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 pm

REDDzone wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:In Day 1 of Spectrum service and the early returns have me concerned. So far, I basically can't watch anything I want outside of my apartment. When I got ahold of tech sport they told me to wait 24 hours, so that's what I'll do.

I picked up cable with the understanding that I would be able to use their service online or via their ap. If it's locking me out unless I'm using my internet the service isn't useful anymore.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,590

Post#765 » by tski1972 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:26 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

I picked up cable with the understanding that I would be able to use their service online or via their ap. If it's locking me out unless I'm using my internet the service isn't useful anymore.

So you did the opposite of the purpose of this thread? A true rebel you are.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,915

Post#766 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:20 pm

tski1972 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

:lol: Actually a lot of people are "plugging back in". Streaming prices keep going up and cable (some anyway) are being more competitive.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#767 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:32 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
tski1972 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

:lol: Actually a lot of people are "plugging back in". Streaming prices keep going up and cable (some anyway) are being more competitive.

I mean, yea. Cord cutting is now cost-prohibitive if you want your content where ever and whenever you like it. The services like Youtube TV, Hulu Live, etc. are as expensive or more than if I just bundled cable TV with my internet. Since I mostly watch Live sports I figure I might as well go that route and not have to deal with the massive lag that comes with streaming services.

Now, like I said, this is all contingent on Spectrum's online app being fully available when I'm out of my home, which I'll test tomorrow.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,254

Post#768 » by Finn » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:10 am

As a long time Spectrum customer, I can confirm that you have all channels available to you when you stream from your home wi-fi but you will lose many channels when you're streaming content while out & about. At least that's how it works for me in NY.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#769 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:36 am

Finn wrote:

As a long time Spectrum customer, I can confirm that you have all channels available to you when you stream from your home wi-fi but you will lose many channels when you're streaming content while out & about. At least that's how it works for me in NY.

****. Just great. I'll test it tomorrow but if I can't get live sports outside of my place then I gotta reconsider what I'm gonna do.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#770 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Finn wrote:

****. Just great. I'll test it tomorrow but if I can't get live sports outside of my place then I gotta reconsider what I'm gonna do.

Yea, I'm in WI and most channels are only available when hooked up to my own Spectrum WiFi.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#771 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:12 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
tski1972 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yea. I pay $120 (still promotional rate) for Spectrum. When I cut the cord I was paying $70 for cable. So basically pay $50 for cable plus an extra little channel package because we wanted NickJr for my son. I look at almost all streaming prices and everything seems to be $50 these days so I really don't see the reason to cut. Another kicker for me is that despite the fact that I'm in Germnantown, I CANNOT get local channels OTA. No idea why but have been unable to do so in any room in the house across three separate antennas.

That said, I don't pay for all the extras (DVR, premium channels, also only have one cable box because with Spectrum I can stream all channels through my Roku downstairs or in my bedroom without more than one box).
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#772 » by crkone » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:18 am

We were paying $180 for cable with three boxes (no dvr) and internet combined. Paying $95 for faster internet with Spectrum and YouTube TV combined.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#773 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:01 am

I'm currently paying $150 for DirecTV (pretty much all channels but premium) and AT&T internet (50 speed). I could probably save some but with how streaming services keep going up I may just stay put.

I also pay for Hulu basic for $2/month and got ESPN+ for $40-45/year.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,730

Post#774 » by RubberSoul » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:12 am

I’m paying $75 per month for 100 Mbps internet service from spectrum. Anyone know how to get a better deal that seems like a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#775 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:17 am

I'm was paying about $47 a month for 200 mb spectrum, Hulu Live and no adds (would have been $61), Amazon Prime (and a couple channels), and Netflix. The cable/internet bundle with one receiver is now about $107. Cancelled the Hulu, dumped the prime channels. I could see ditching Netflix and going with only Prime and Spectrum. Then figure out a Plex of Kodi solution.
reh187
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#776 » by reh187 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:12 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Finn wrote:

It's not the most convenient, but you should still have access to sports through the ESPN and Fox Sports Go apps with your cable login when out of your house.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#777 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:21 am

I feel like I got it all sorted out and then Dish dumps FSWi and I'm completely screwed.

Which has been the biggest issue with all this. You find a means of getting what you want at a reasonable value proposition and these companies make massive changes so regularly it's impossible to maintain your required channels.

What is the cheapest way of getting FSWi these days??

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#778 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Anybody use and/or have any good recommendations for over the air DVR's? I know ChannelMaster was a brand for awhile, TiVO as well.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#779 » by xTitan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:25 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
tski1972 wrote:

I mean, yea. Cord cutting is now cost-prohibitive if you want your content where ever and whenever you like it. The services like Youtube TV, Hulu Live, etc. are as expensive or more than if I just bundled cable TV with my internet. Since I mostly watch Live sports I figure I might as well go that route and not have to deal with the massive lag that comes with streaming services.

Now, like I said, this is all contingent on Spectrum's online app being fully available when I'm out of my home, which I'll test tomorrow.

How much per month do you pay for cable?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#780 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 pm

xTitan wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote: :lol: Actually a lot of people are "plugging back in". Streaming prices keep going up and cable (some anyway) are being more competitive.

How much per month do you pay for cable?

Combined internet and cable is $109.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks