Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Admiral Schofield 

Post#41 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:01 am

80sballboy wrote:
nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:A couple of scouting reports. Again, I know a 34-inch vertical isn't great for a 6-5 wing but he appears a lot more explosive on some of those highlights. One thing I'm beginning to notice is a lack of a left-hand. He's dunking right handed off the wrong foot. He rarely goes left and when he does, he's shooting right handed. Everybody is going to play him to his right on drives though he looks like he's going to start out as a 3-point shooter. The length of the NBA 3-point shot will not be an issue for him as you can tell from those highlights. :D
https://youtu.be/sFL8MAXqTs8?t=3
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/5/22/18630443/admiral-schofield-2019-nba-draft-scouting-report-atlanta-hawks-tennessee
https://medium.com/@asktumma/nba-draft-admiral-schofield-is-the-best-player-nobody-is-talking-about-99d9c36b2f40

I think that's all true.

I don't see Schofield being a shot creator, at least not for a long time. He's going to be a switchable 3&D guy who can attack a closeout, but not much more. Basically, he'll be Kelly Oubre, which is a really good thing if it only costs the 42nd pick in the draft.

I would say a much smarter Oubre based on his experience. His BB IQ is pretty good and yes, he's definitely not a shot creator nor much of a passer. Defensively, I'd like to see more highlights. He shouldn't be awful with that kind of frame and athletic ability.

For this year, the only skill we need out of him is the ability to guard 3s.

If Ariza is gone we have no one on the roster who can reliably guard bigger wings . Troy Brown has the length but he isn’t yet as strong you’d like, and Rui can’t be expected to chase SFs around full time (based on what I’ve seen he should be guarding 4s).

Need to do a deep dive on Admiral’s defense but so far I’ve heard mixed reviews and idk how to feel.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#42 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:04 pm

I like this kid a lot. We'll see how he turns out as a player, but his attitude is great, his understanding of what he needs to do, his calm maturity... all really outstanding.

On offense, his main limitation is that he lacks good handles. For that reason he is not effective attacking the basket & he doesn't get to the line much. I don't think he has an off-hand either.

I'm sure he is aware of these problems (in all he seems a very self-aware, poised & intelligent kid). But of course that doesn't mean he can fix them -- at least not altogether! He'll have to improve some in these areas, however; otherwise he'll be in a straitjacket offensively.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#43 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:34 pm

payitforward wrote:I like this kid a lot. We'll see how he turns out as a player, but his attitude is great, his understanding of what he needs to do, his calm maturity... all really outstanding.

On offense, his main limitation is that he lacks good handles. For that reason he is not effective attacking the basket & he doesn't get to the line much. I don't think he has an off-hand either.

I'm sure he is aware of these problems (in all he seems a very self-aware, poised & intelligent kid). But of course that doesn't mean he can fix them -- at least not altogether! He'll have to improve some in these areas, however; otherwise he'll be in a straitjacket offensively.

From a father with a military background (hence the first name), I think he'll maximize his strengths and work on his weaknesses.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#44 » by WallToWall » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Admiral Schofield has agreed to a three-year rookie deal with the Washington Wizards, league sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#45 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#46 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:33 am

Wish him a lot of success obviously!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#47 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:37 pm

The debut of Stick Bol, in a 1-2 years we will shall see who was the better pick
payitforward
RealGM

Post#48 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 pm

I was never a fan of the Admiral pick, although, in fact, he has looked solid in 51 minutes, & I'd like to see him back with the team. I don't think you give a guy 2 plus guaranteed years & put him in the G League.

43 teams passed on Bol Bol, not just us. There's no particular reason to put Admiral up against him for a decision.

edit: OTOH that was a nice euro-step move!
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#49 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:16 pm

payitforward wrote:I was never a fan of the Admiral pick, although, in fact, he has looked solid in 51 minutes, & I'd like to see him back with the team. I don't think you give a guy 2 plus guaranteed years & put him in the G League.

43 teams passed on Bol Bol, not just us. There's no particular reason to put Admiral up against him for a decision.

CJ Miles is taking up minutes from Troy Brown... Bonga can't even get minutes either :lol:

Admiral being in the G-League is good to me. Brooks is bad.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Post#50 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:22 pm

payitforward wrote:I was never a fan of the Admiral pick, although, in fact, he has looked solid in 51 minutes, & I'd like to see him back with the team. I don't think you give a guy 2 plus guaranteed years & put him in the G League.

I agree, I want to see more of the Admiral too. But if he’s nailed to the bench like Bonga has been the last few games then no, these guys need to play. If not with the Wizards then let them get minutes in the G League.

https://dai.ly/x7o4faj

Link to the Admirals highlights against the Wisconsin Heard Nov. 17th.
24 points / 6 rebounds
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
payitforward
RealGM

Post#51 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:45 pm

Oh absolutely.... But both those guys should be playing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 pm

closg00 wrote:The debut of Stick Bol, in a 1-2 years we will shall see who was the better pick

Shoulda bought another 2nd rounder. 8-)

AdmiralAdmiral's playing better than I expected, but I'm still not very high on him, tbh.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#53 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:37 am

BearlyBallin wrote:

I agree, I want to see more of the Admiral too. But if he’s nailed to the bench like Bonga has been the last few games then no, these guys need to play. If not with the Wizards then let them get minutes in the G League.

https://dai.ly/x7o4faj

Link to the Admirals highlights against the Wisconsin Heard Nov. 17th.
24 points / 6 rebounds

He looks a lot more comfortable playing under these circumstances
payitforward
RealGM

Post#54 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:
closg00 wrote:The debut of Stick Bol, in a 1-2 years we will shall see who was the better pick

Shoulda bought another 2nd rounder. 8-)

AdmiralAdmiral's playing better than I expected, but I'm still not very high on him, tbh.

Agreed. I didn't understand buying a pick with him as the target. But, as you say, he's playing better than expected.

But, wait... I just looked at his G League numbers again. Small sample. But, he is scoring & rebounding well, that much is true. But, he's a mess at everything else. :( Fouling a lot, turning it over a lot, extremely low in assists.

Oh well...
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#55 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:30 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Admiral & Robinson back.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#56 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:58 pm

payitforward wrote:I don't think you give a guy 2 plus guaranteed years & put him in the G League.

I dunno. The Raptors have been doing this for a while and it seems like it works out pretty well for them. Obviously you have to scout well first, but it becomes a trust-building commitment for both parties involved. On one hand, the team commits to actually paying the player they believe in rather than offering little or no guaranteed money. The player buys in, knowing that the team invested in him and is willing to use that time to effectively allow him to learn the system in the g league. That buy-in allows them to be better prepared when their time comes to showcase what they can do making it more likely that they also earn more money on their next contract, too. It works out great. So far, the Raptors have done it with Delon Wright, Norman Powell, Pascal Siakam, Fred VanVleet and they're doing it again with Dewan Hernandez this season and I sort of suspect that they were planning on doing the same with Terence Davis and Matt Thomas only they played their way onto the roster immediately.

I'm legitimately shocked more teams aren't doing it. Teams can still call those guys up later, and keep them with the team once they're convinced the player has the system under control. Unless the player is already really damn good, which isn't true in most cases, you aren't actually losing much by investing some time and money into the player and the potential reward is significant. I'm happy the Wizards are taking the long view here. I don't know of Schofield will turn out or not but the practice of what the team is doing just plain makes sense.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:48 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
payitforward wrote:I don't think you give a guy 2 plus guaranteed years & put him in the G League.

I dunno. The Raptors have been doing this for a while and it seems like it works out pretty well for them. Obviously you have to scout well first, but it becomes a trust-building commitment for both parties involved. On one hand, the team commits to actually paying the player they believe in rather than offering little or no guaranteed money. The player buys in, knowing that the team invested in him and is willing to use that time to effectively allow him to learn the system in the g league. That buy-in allows them to be better prepared when their time comes to showcase what they can do making it more likely that they also earn more money on their next contract, too. It works out great. So far, the Raptors have done it with Delon Wright, Norman Powell, Pascal Siakam, Fred VanVleet and they're doing it again with Dewan Hernandez this season and I sort of suspect that they were planning on doing the same with Terence Davis and Matt Thomas only they played their way onto the roster immediately.

I'm legitimately shocked more teams aren't doing it. Teams can still call those guys up later, and keep them with the team once they're convinced the player has the system under control. Unless the player is already really damn good, which isn't true in most cases, you aren't actually losing much by investing some time and money into the player and the potential reward is significant. I'm happy the Wizards are taking the long view here. I don't know of Schofield will turn out or not but the practice of what the team is doing just plain makes sense.

Kinda like a 1st rounder in baseball might get a 3 million bonus but still spend 3 years in the minors.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Admiral & Robinson back.

I'm not sure they're going to get any playing time unless... someone's traded. Admiral would have to take what little time Bonga gets at the 3, and Robinson would be behind both Ish and IT, and McRae is available at the point. Seems like they promised IT playing time, and Ish is coming off a great game. Is a trade coming up? :meditate:
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#59 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Admiral & Robinson back.

I'm not sure they're going to get any playing time unless... someone's traded. Admiral would have to take what little time Bonga gets at the 3, and Robinson would be behind both Ish and IT, and McRae is available at the point. Seems like they promised IT playing time, and Ish is coming off a great game. Is a trade coming up? :meditate:

Yes please :nod:

~ Confucius about 500 BC
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#60 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Admiral & Robinson back.

It wouldn't surprise me if they sent Bonga down to the G-League to make room for Schofield. But I don't how they'll find minutes for Robinson unless there's a trade or injury.

Maybe they just want to make sure those guys get a few practices with the team from time to time.

I sincerely doubt an Isaiah Thomas trade is imminent. We might be able to give him away to a team like the Knicks who are in need of shooting and PG play, but I don't think we'd get anything in return.

Return to Washington Wizards