ImageImageImage

Welcome Cam Johnson

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Re: Welcome Cam Johnson 

Post#141 » by hollywood6964 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:08 pm

sunskerr wrote:Cam Johnson is gonna be a solid player. He should work on his handles 24/7 and then he'll have a chance to take a big leap. His shooting is already there. He kinda reminds me of Booker's rookie year right now. But yeah, Johnson's development is fairly straight forward- just work on ball handling and shooting off the dribble.

Defensive reads. He's too slow, and that's at 23 years old. He's not getting any quicker- unless they put him on some test and work on his strength, which probably will happen. But anyway, He's just too slight to guard any pf's, and too slow to guard most sf's n sg's, so it's a problem. Being a smart defender and using his hands and length to keep offensive players at bay will mitigate some of that.

Being a ball handler? This will be tough considering the lack of speed and strength. Those long arms and high dribble hurts him as well.

Idk, it's not like he's a 20 year old, where you can hope for a big jump in the future. 4 year players generally have their basic skills down in their rookie year, they just continue to improve until hitting year 3. If he just keeps doing what he's doing, he'll be a good 3 pt shooter who gives a little of everything else.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#142 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:00 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:Cam Johnson is gonna be a solid player. He should work on his handles 24/7 and then he'll have a chance to take a big leap. His shooting is already there. He kinda reminds me of Booker's rookie year right now. But yeah, Johnson's development is fairly straight forward- just work on ball handling and shooting off the dribble.

Defensive reads. He's too slow, and that's at 23 years old. He's not getting any quicker- unless they put him on some test and work on his strength, which probably will happen. But anyway, He's just too slight to guard any pf's, and too slow to guard most sf's n sg's, so it's a problem. Being a smart defender and using his hands and length to keep offensive players at bay will mitigate some of that.

Being a ball handler? This will be tough considering the lack of speed and strength. Those long arms and high dribble hurts him as well.

Idk, it's not like he's a 20 year old, where you can hope for a big jump in the future. 4 year players generally have their basic skills down in their rookie year, they just continue to improve until hitting year 3. If he just keeps doing what he's doing, he'll be a good 3 pt shooter who gives a little of everything else.

Defensively, I think he just needs to make better reads and that's probably the extent of his defensive improvements. He's not particularly quick, athletic or was known as a special defender so if he can just be a Korver type defender that brings the effort, understands positioning and just plays smart defense, I think that's all I can ask of him.

With regards to ball handling, I don't think he needs to be Kyrie Irving but if he can be Klay-lite in terms of ball handling and just able to put defenders off-balance by using a pump fake and putting the ball to the floor for a blow by, that's a strong weapon to have.

I'm not expecting any sort of leaps in development from him but I think he just needs to work on a couple of skills which will help him contribute more to the team
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
hollywood6964
Analyst

Post#143 » by hollywood6964 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:53 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:

Defensively, I think he just needs to make better reads and that's probably the extent of his defensive improvements. He's not particularly quick, athletic or was known as a special defender so if he can just be a Korver type defender that brings the effort, understands positioning and just plays smart defense, I think that's all I can ask of him.

With regards to ball handling, I don't think he needs to be Kyrie Irving but if he can be Klay-lite in terms of ball handling and just able to put defenders off-balance by using a pump fake and putting the ball to the floor for a blow by, that's a strong weapon to have.

I'm not expecting any sort of leaps in development from him but I think he just needs to work on a couple of skills which will help him contribute more to the team

So you concur I take it.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#144 » by nevetsov » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:35 am

Always thought his closest high end (best case) comparison as a SF might be Mike Miller, but seeing how fluid he has been for his length, I'm wondering if he might be closer to a Rashard Lewis PF-SF type?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,376

Post#145 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:43 am

nevetsov wrote:Always thought his closest high end (best case) comparison as a SF might be Mike Miller, but seeing how fluid he has been for his length, I'm wondering if he might be closer to a Rashard Lewis PF-SF type?

I'm thinking a rich man's Klay Thompson. At least that's my hope. If Ayton is the next David Robinson, this guy is definitely a rich man's Klay.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#146 » by suns12345 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:47 am

bwgood77 wrote:
nevetsov wrote:Always thought his closest high end (best case) comparison as a SF might be Mike Miller, but seeing how fluid he has been for his length, I'm wondering if he might be closer to a Rashard Lewis PF-SF type?

I'm thinking a rich man's Klay Thompson. At least that's my hope. If Ayton is the next David Robinson, this guy is definitely a rich man's Klay.

As in better than Klay? lol

Or just taller :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#147 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 am

suns12345 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

As in better than Klay? lol

Or just taller :lol:

Actually I kind of hate that everyone has to have a player comp. I think each player determines his own ceiling. No one could have pegged Nash.

Or Klay, for that matter.

The way he can create separation and shoot quickly does remind me of Klay, and I think him and Booker could kind of use some of that same dynamic Curry and Klay did.

But each player is his own guy. He might be a better ball handler than Klay, at least at the same age. Time will tell with these guys.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#148 » by Desertfox » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:55 am

I would say the best comparison is 2018 Warren without the crazy crashing plays.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#149 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:57 am

hollywood6964 wrote:

While in a general sense his age could limit future growth that's not nessesarily a hard pressed rule. Guys like Jimmy Butler, Pascal Siacam, even CJ McCullom all entered the league as older players, didn't do much the first year or two then took a leap. Guys develop at all different pases.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
hollywood6964
Analyst

Post#150 » by hollywood6964 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:42 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Rich man's? Haha, come on bw, speaking of bets, that's one I'd put a small wager on.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#151 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:48 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Rich man's? Haha, come on bw, speaking of bets, that's one I'd put a small wager on.

That's kind of me being as optimistic as those who think Ayton will be an Olajuwon or Robinson, or even an Embiid, or how he himself compares himself to Shaq. His ceiling (Ayton's, and again I hate mentioning ceilings) seems a little more like Patrick Ewing to me.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#152 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:14 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Defensive reads. He's too slow, and that's at 23 years old. He's not getting any quicker- unless they put him on some test and work on his strength, which probably will happen. But anyway, He's just too slight to guard any pf's, and too slow to guard most sf's n sg's, so it's a problem. Being a smart defender and using his hands and length to keep offensive players at bay will mitigate some of that.

So you concur I take it.

Concur
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
hollywood6964
Analyst

Post#153 » by hollywood6964 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:30 am

bwgood77 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

That's kind of me being as optimistic as those who think Ayton will be an Olajuwon or Robinson, or even an Embiid, or how he himself compares himself to Shaq. His ceiling (Ayton's, and again I hate mentioning ceilings) seems a little more like Patrick Ewing to me.

I'll take patrick ewing all damn day. Big pat never had another real all star, and I'm not counting starks. please. If pat's knees would've held up, he probably would've snagged a ring n knocked off jordan one year (I know, sacrilege to say on an nba forum).
hollywood6964
Analyst

Post#154 » by hollywood6964 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:15 am

bwgood77 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Whatever the justification, better than Thompson is really reaching haha. He can't even play defense, and Klay's an all world defender.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#155 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:25 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Rich man's? Haha, come on bw, speaking of bets, that's one I'd put a small wager on.

Whatever the justification, better than Thompson is really reaching haha. He can't even play defense, and Klay's an all world defender.

Yes, it was in jest, but I do think he is similar on offense or he has the capacity to possibly be.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,638

Post#156 » by Qwigglez » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 am

Only 12 games in, so small sample size

vs Klay's 1st 12 games (Klay is only 21 years old though)

vs Redick's 1st 12 games as a 22 year old

Cam Johnson might be more Redick or Rip Hamilton than Booker was coming out. We need to find this guy some more 3's.
Funky Tut
Bench Warmer
And1: 766

Post#157 » by Funky Tut » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Cam J will only get more comfortable as well, I can see this guy being automatic from 3 for us in the future .
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#158 » by Saberestar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:29 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:Rich man's? Haha, come on bw, speaking of bets, that's one I'd put a small wager on.

I'll take patrick ewing all damn day. Big pat never had another real all star, and I'm not counting starks. please. If pat's knees would've held up, he probably would've snagged a ring n knocked off jordan one year (I know, sacrilege to say on an nba forum).

Yeah, Pat Ewing was a beast. One of the best Cs ever, IMO better than Joel Embiid and David Robinson.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#159 » by Blonde » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:37 pm

He’s going to be a useful player, I have no doubt about that. He already contributes. The question will always be whether or not we can take advantage of his skillset by putting a playoff team together while he’s still on a rookie deal.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#160 » by Frank Lee » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:20 am

Once full strength w/Ayton and Baynes, I start this kid at PF. Right now, he is the most consistent F we have. I dont think his slight build is detrimental in todays world of not-so-power forwards out there. (see nevets take) Occassionally, his match up might not be advantageous, but night in night out I'll take him over Saric or Shank.

He deserves minutes, more of them.....and apparently, Monty thinks so too.
What ? Me Worry ?

Return to Phoenix Suns