Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#481 » by LloydFree » Mon Nov 4, 2019 6:08 pm

76ciology wrote:Tobias is now averaging almost 20ppg on 62TS%. This includes 52FG%, 36% 3pt%. He also has been playing great defense.‬

Harris is putting up 20/9/3 on 60% TS

Meanwhile, Landry Shamet is putting up 9/1/2 on 51% TS, with terrible defense. And just a couple weeks ago someone on here was arguing 'Landry Shamet gives you 75% of what Tobias Harris gives you'. I'm still shaking my head about that one.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#482 » by agiaco » Mon Nov 4, 2019 6:14 pm

LloydFree wrote:
76ciology wrote:Tobias is now averaging almost 20ppg on 62TS%. This includes 52FG%, 36% 3pt%. He also has been playing great defense.‬

Meanwhile, Landry Shamet is putting up 9/1/2 on 51% TS, with terrible defense. And nust a couple weeks ago someone on here was arguing 'Landry Shamet gives you 75% of what Tobias Harris gives you'. I'm still shaking my head about that one.

Sometimes people are just blinded by their own outlandish opinions. The facts clearly show Tobias is a far superior player, and we added Mike Scott to the team who is arguably offering more than 75% of what Shamet offers.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#483 » by LloydFree » Mon Nov 4, 2019 7:54 pm

agiaco wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Meanwhile, Landry Shamet is putting up 9/1/2 on 51% TS, with terrible defense. And nust a couple weeks ago someone on here was arguing 'Landry Shamet gives you 75% of what Tobias Harris gives you'. I'm still shaking my head about that one.

Sometimes people are just blinded by their own outlandish opinions. The facts clearly show Tobias is a far superior player, and we added Mike Scott to the team who is arguably offering more than 75% of what Shamet offers.

Exactly. That's why handwringing over trading Landry Shamet was so absurd. What a Landry Shamet gives you, is not hard to acquire.

Mike Scott is 8/3/1 on 65% TS, in almost half the minutes that it's taking Landry Shamet to produce 9/1/2.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#484 » by Ericb5 » Mon Nov 4, 2019 8:51 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
papajoe wrote:Brett needs to find a way to stagger Tobias' minutes. Clear now he doesnt play well with Embiid

Simmons/Embiid
Horford/Harris.

Some would say that Simmons and Embiid don't play well together.

For the sake of a possible championship. Can't they all just get along?

Better said, for a fan base that has been starving for a contender, couldn’t we just stop complaining and appreciate what we have?

Embiid is one of the best players in the league, and we are one of the best teams in the league. We have no problems in terms of people being able to play with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#485 » by Wilfried » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Last 5 games, he's being very productive again (like the first 5 games).

He's maybe overpaid, but he's also pretty underrated too. His D has improved too it seems.
His passing is pretty good too for a big.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#486 » by phillynative » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:13 am

Wilfried wrote:Last 5 games, he's being very productive again (like the first 5 games).

He's maybe overpaid, but he's also pretty underrated too. His D has improved too it seems.
His passing is pretty good too for a big.

How is he underrated.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#487 » by Kobblehead » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:38 am

He's definitely playing the best defense of his career and passing at a career rate. The only thing he's still dropping the ball on is his three point shooting. He's been sooo terrible a shooter since joining the team.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#488 » by LloydFree » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:41 am

Kobblehead wrote:He's definitely playing the best defense of his career and passing at a career rate. The only thing he's still dropping the ball on is his three point shooting. He's been sooo terrible a shooter since joining the team.

I'm not worried about Tobias Harris' 3pt%. It's skewed by 2 ridiculous off nights, against the Hawks and Cavs, where he shot 1 for 20. His percentage has been fine the other 14 games. His overall percentage will normalize and likely be over 36% by the end of the year. My biggest issue with Tobias Harris is that he has too many games where he doesn't take enough 3's. He's had too many games where he only got up 1 or 2 shots from 3pt range. He gotta do better than that on this team.
agiaco
Analyst

Post#489 » by agiaco » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:56 am

Tobi is fun to watch in the post. Any time he's got a smaller defender on him he can post up and get easy jumpers or take them to the basket. I'm sure he'll continue to be underappreciated by too many throughout the season.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#490 » by youngcrev » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:00 am

agiaco wrote:Tobi is fun to watch in the post. Any time he's got a smaller defender on him he can post up and get easy jumpers or take them to the basket. I'm sure he'll continue to be underappreciated by too many throughout the season.

He's a nice player, but it's hard to separate him from the contract that he's never going to live up to.
agiaco
Analyst

Post#491 » by agiaco » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 am

youngcrev wrote:
agiaco wrote:Tobi is fun to watch in the post. Any time he's got a smaller defender on him he can post up and get easy jumpers or take them to the basket. I'm sure he'll continue to be underappreciated by too many throughout the season.

He's a nice player, but it's hard to separate him from the contract that he's never going to live up to.

Personally, I think the circumstances surrounding the current team, the Tobias trade and alternative free agent options make it easier to deal with.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#492 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:56 am

First off, I want to say I like Tobias and believe in him.

And if Im Tobi, I’d look at this as a chance to step up to my personal glory. This is his chance to cement himself as a top 1-2 player on a championship contender. He will not have this opportunity again.

I’d go at Brett and ask him to get me more plays or shots, whenever Biid decides to take a night off and if Ben decides to not make the leap.

Right now, he’s being defended by mostly SGs. He also made big shots for us this season because of him being defended by smaller defender.

Once he gets into his shooting rhythm, which he is having the past few games, I’d go mamba mentality.

On the Ben thread, someone mentioned Ben as Kobe to Biid as shaq. No. Tobi is Kobe. Biid is shaq. Ben is Lamar Odom, and sometimes he is Travis Knight. That is the reality.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#493 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:06 am

Tobi is shooting almost 80% on shots 0-3 ft.
His 3ft to below 3pt (mid range) is elite at atleast 45-47%.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#494 » by blargh » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:42 pm

I’m all for Tobi getting more shots, but he can help himself with a little quicker decision making when he gets the ball. Shoot it, drive it, pass it, but don’t stall out the offense on the perimeter, which he’ll sometimes do.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#495 » by 76ciology » Mon Dec 9, 2019 5:21 pm

Curious to hear what you think of Tobi?

He’s shooting 51% on 10-16ft. 70% around the rim.
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#496 » by sodmoraes » Mon Dec 9, 2019 6:00 pm

76ciology wrote:Curious to hear what you think of Tobi?

I really like his game. I think he should be the main scorer of our team, and eventually he will be a good closer. Embiid isnt a good scorer in the end of games. I really like his mid range game, and his 3pt shooting is coming along in the last 10 games. I would like to know his 3pt % if we discount the 2 ridiculous off nights he had.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#497 » by Winejk » Mon Dec 9, 2019 7:44 pm

sodmoraes wrote:
76ciology wrote:Curious to hear what you think of Tobi?

I really like his game. I think he should be the main scorer of our team, and eventually he will be a good closer. Embiid isnt a good scorer in the end of games. I really like his mid range game, and his 3pt shooting is coming along in the last 10 games. I would like to know his 3pt % if we discount the 2 ridiculous off nights he had.

I hope you are right that he will be a good closer eventually.

I still don't think he can break a defense down, but he doesn't have to. The Sixers are loaded. He gets plenty of spot ups and he has a great pull up mid range shot. He is also effective finishing near the basket. However, he hasn't shown me that when the defense tightens up in the playoffs he's capable of being a closer.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#498 » by Kobblehead » Mon Dec 9, 2019 10:22 pm

Doing all of this without the pick and roll. Put the ball in his hands and let him use screens and he'll be 20+.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#499 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:44 am

Kobblehead wrote:Doing all of this without the pick and roll. Put the ball in his hands and let him use screens and he'll be 20+.

He’s like a Brogdon. He can’t beat his man. His best way to create a 4v5 situation is by the pick and roll. And with his ELITE mid range and ELITE finishing ability, he can pretty much average 20+ if he turns on his mamba mentality.

I still think pairings should be JRich and Ben then Tobi and Biid. Let those two pairing run 2 man games.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#500 » by FlyingArrow » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:48 am

youngcrev wrote:

He lives up to if you recognize the weird math imposed by the salary cap. The bargains come from max players who are worth way more than the max and rookie-scale contracts. You have to luck into someone on a rookie scale contract who outplays their contract, although the process gave us more shots at those sorts of contracts. As far as max players, there are only a few who outplay their contract because they're worth so much more than the max a player can sign for. Players who are very good but not great can still end up being worth the max or close to it. It just looks weird because they make basically the same as the superstars. Crucially, though, you can't sign those players until you already have a superstar or two locked in - otherwise you wreck your salary cap and can never get a superstar.

We have a superstar, which means we can afford to give Tobias his market value without wrecking our salary cap... we're already maxed out anyway.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers