Grizzlies Not Looking To Buy Out Andre Iguodala

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Grizzlies Not Looking To Buy Out Andre Iguodala 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:41 pm

The Memphis Grizzlies will not buy out Andre Iguodala, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

The Grizzlies are instead looking for an asset in return for Iguodala, who they acquired from the Warriors last summer.

“The message that Memphis has delivered to teams like the Lakers, Clippers and Rockets is that you’re going to have to trade for him. We are not buying him out. He will not be on the free agent market," said Wojnarowski. 

Via Nicola Lupo/Sportando

kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Re: Grizzlies Not Looking To Buy Out Andre Iguodala 

Post#2 » by kenwood3333 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:11 pm

Should make him suit up for the team and sit on the bench. Players should not be paid for not going to work.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#3 » by Metallikid » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:09 am

kenwood3333 wrote:Should make him suit up for the team and sit on the bench. Players should not be paid for not going to work.

Absolutely. It shouldn't be a paid vacation. Support the team that traded for you, at least on the bench.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:00 am

They traded for him for the picks they got with him and not for him specifically.

Also, they don't want to play him because if he gets hurt no team will give up assets for him.

Lastly, him dressing up and traveling with the team could hurt their team. He could have a bad impact on the young players and coaching staff.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#5 » by MegaK » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 am

look like iggy aint playing this year bro. They got this brother locked up bro.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#6 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 am

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Why would the Grizz waive a guy, and pay him a bunch of $$$, only to go sign with a competitor? Especially when there are 3-4 teams VERY interested in him.

Hmmmm....we could let him walk, and pay his salary. OR....we could trade him for goodies/picks, and let that other team pay his salary. What would you do?

The big question now, is how much are teams willing to give up?
lekasjeda
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#7 » by lekasjeda » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:48 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Seems like a no-brainer to me. Why would the Grizz waive a guy, and pay him a bunch of $$$, only to go sign with a competitor? Especially when there are 3-4 teams VERY interested in him.

Hmmmm....we could let him walk, and pay his salary. OR....we could trade him for goodies/picks, and let that other team pay his salary. What would you do?

buying him out would actually save the grizzlies some money. teams usually only buyout a player if they agree to be bought out at a lower price which is usually around 2 million less than the overall amount their getting paid which the player can then make back from another team that signs them
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#8 » by tigerae » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:45 am

lekasjeda wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:Seems like a no-brainer to me. Why would the Grizz waive a guy, and pay him a bunch of $$$, only to go sign with a competitor? Especially when there are 3-4 teams VERY interested in him.

buying him out would actually save the grizzlies some money. teams usually only buyout a player if they agree to be bought out at a lower price which is usually around 2 million less than the overall amount their getting paid which the player can then make back from another team that signs them
And again, they traded for him for the picks that he came with in the deal. They didn't trade for him because they were planning on making him a key part to their rebuild.

I honestly think this is all a ploy to try to get one of these teams to bite and end up getting twice the picks. For trading for him and for trading him.

Lakers and Clippers already traded tons of picks so in the end, the trade deadline will come and go. Once that happens they will likely be forced to buy him out since the player's association will step in and force them to play him or let him go.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#9 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:10 am

tigerae wrote:
lekasjeda wrote:

And again, they traded for him for the picks that he came with in the deal. They didn't trade for him because they were planning on making him a key part to their rebuild.

I honestly think this is all a ploy to try to get one of these teams to bite and end up getting twice the picks. For trading for him and for trading him.

Lakers and Clippers already traded tons of picks so in the end, the trade deadline will come and go. Once that happens they will likely be forced to buy him out since the player's association will step in and force them to play him or let him go.

That maybe ethical to you, but it makes sense from a business perspective. ****. It's pretty savvy if you axe me
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#10 » by D21 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:46 am

Logic from MEM, they know he will sign with LAL if bought out, so it shoudl motivated other playoffs team to make a trade offer, because if he's bought out, it's a double-loss :
- they don't get him, even if it cost something
- LAL gets him for nothing and will be better than they are, so intead of seeing LAL becoming better, they have to leave them where they are, and improve themselves by adding Iguodala
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#11 » by likashing » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am

Andre likes to make smart ass comments. The Grizz probably don’t want their kids to listen to his **** so they wouldn’t force him to sit on the bench.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#12 » by slicedbread2 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:11 am

tigerae wrote:
lekasjeda wrote:

They could also decide to trade him and take back a bad contract from a team over the luxury tax and get more compensation and then let said team buy him out.

Either way they have nothing to lose.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#13 » by Mwd1981 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:33 am

Lol- yeah right and alienate every FA in the history of the world!
teco1497
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#14 » by teco1497 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:37 am

with his contract of 18 million, nobody can able to make a package whether they want to do it. it's not rational.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 7,998

Post#15 » by Flash4thewin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:45 pm

Mwd1981 wrote:Lol- yeah right and alienate every FA in the history of the world!

That makes no sense. The Griz are not a free agent destination now, the only way they will get players is by over paying the going rate. Free agents want to get paid. Maybe elite players will say no, but they honestly didnt have the Griz on the teams they want to play with anyways so no loss.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#16 » by jason bourne » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:31 pm

teco1497 wrote:with his contract of 18 million, nobody can able to make a package whether they want to do it. it's not rational.

It looks like they're hoping the Lakers, Pacers, Jazz, Celtics, Suns, Mavs, and Spurs are willing to go near or into lux tax land for the playoffs.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Post#17 » by Liam_Gallagher » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:35 pm

They're just saying that as a bluff. They'll eventually buy him out, and then the Lakers will sign him. If that happens, the league will have to watch out. Their rotation would look ridiculous on both ends of the floor:

G - James/Rondo/Cook
G - Bradley/Caruso/Caldwell-Pope/Daniels
F - Green/Iguodala
F - Davis/Kuzma/Dudley
C - McGee/Howard
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#18 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:14 pm

tigerae wrote:
lekasjeda wrote:

I think they'll just play him. The Tyreke Evans saga would be my reason for assuming it'll possibly play out that way.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:04 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
tigerae wrote:
lekasjeda wrote:

I think they'll just play him. The Tyreke Evans saga would be my reason for assuming it'll possibly play out that way.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

He's worth a 2nd round pick and they should hold out for that. Why pay him to go away when they can get a pick and get of his money. Even if it's a highly protected pick that never conveys, they can get off his money.
elgrandeques0
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#20 » by elgrandeques0 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:16 pm

Don't know much about the Heat, but James Johnson and a couple 2nd rounders for Iggy?

Return to Wiretap Discussion