ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1661 » by Dat2U » Thu Nov 7, 2019 3:02 am

tontoz wrote:PIF is going to be insufferable tomorrow. The Memphis game is still in the 3rd quarter. So far in 14 minutes of play Clark has 16 points (without a miss anywhere) and 7 rebounds.

The mods may have to step in lol.

Me too considering I was calling for us to trade down and get BOTH Bitadze & Clarke.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#1662 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 7, 2019 3:07 pm

Sato was the leading scorer last night in a blowout win vs the Hawks.

27 pts (10-13 from the field, 4-5 from 3), 7 rebounds and 8 assists.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#1663 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 7, 2019 4:10 pm

Dat2U wrote:
tontoz wrote:PIF is going to be insufferable tomorrow. The Memphis game is still in the 3rd quarter. So far in 14 minutes of play Clark has 16 points (without a miss anywhere) and 7 rebounds.

The mods may have to step in lol.

Me too considering I was calling for us to trade down and get BOTH Bitadze & Clarke.

That would have been great, Dat -- of course! But, in fact it wasn't possible. We'd have had to acquire Boston's #14 & #20, which wasn't going to happen.

I'd have been happy trading for Boston's #20 & #22, then picking Clarke at #20 &, grabbing Thybulle @#22 if he was there, then making the same trade with Philly (who coveted that kid) that Boston made. At #24, pick Grant Williams if he's there or Nassir Little if he's not. At #33 pick either Edwards or Bruno Fernando.

Brandon Clarke, Nassir Little & Bruno Fernando: that's pretty good value for the #9 pick, I'd say -- tho if Thybulle wasn't there at #22 to facilitate the Philly trade, it reduces by one. Clarke & Grant Williams would still be good value.

In fairness, we don't know that the trade would have been available (though it's certainly not outlandish!). OTOH, it's been claimed that the Spurs wanted Rui. Their #s 18, 29, & 49 would have brought us Brandon Clarke, Keldon Johnson (or Porter, Jr., Claxton, or Bruno F.) & Quinndary Weatherspoon.

Again, that's good value for the #9 pick.

Still... lets not get down on Rui in any extreme way! Just as it was kinda silly to be crowing "RoY" after a few games, it's also kinda silly to be worrying about him underperforming after a few more!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1664 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 7, 2019 5:03 pm

tontoz wrote:PIF is going to be insufferable tomorrow. The Memphis game is still in the 3rd quarter. So far in 14 minutes of play Clarke has 16 points (without a miss anywhere) and 7 rebounds.

Nah.... I've made my point about Brandon Clarke.
Honestly, it was obvious how good this kid was going to be. Instead, people looked at a static measurement (wingspan) as if somehow it could erase his incredible athletic dynamism. After the Combine, even those who'd liked Clarke put him out of the picture, not just for us but as a significant NBA player. Hell, @3 days ago, nate -- one of the most thoughtful & best informed posters in our gang -- had him most likely as a good low usage journeyman -- nothing special (I don't recall the exact words: correct me if I misread you, nate).

What's equally interesting, IMO, is that there wasn't much discussion here of Rui Hachimura at #9. Most people were just hop-hop-hoping that somehow we'd get "lucky" & one of De'Andre Hunter, Darius Garland, or Jarrett Culver would fall to us. & if not, there was a lot of sentiment for Sekou Doumboya. Maybe Jaxson Hayes. The fact that Doumboya, Hunter, Culver & Garland have none of them looked at all good hasn't resulted in any of their supporters here saying, "I guess I might have been wrong."

Once we picked Rui, otoh, there was an instant rush to jump on the bandwagon. &, hey... it might turn out that Rui is one of the very very best players out of this draft. Better than Brandon Clarke. It's early days. I don't think it's gonna be that way (though I hope Rui becomes absolutely tremendous!!), but it might.

So... really, what's interesting is how we think about draft prospects. A guy who is terrific in college has a shot to be terrific in the league. A guy who is better than another guy in college is a good bet to be a better pro.

We all make the same mistakes. Clarke was better than Hachimura in college. Much better. Then again, I had no interest in Bruno -- but when I looked again just now, I found that his numbers as a Sophomore were absolutely great!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#1665 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 7, 2019 5:54 pm

payitforward wrote:
tontoz wrote:PIF is going to be insufferable tomorrow. The Memphis game is still in the 3rd quarter. So far in 14 minutes of play Clarke has 16 points (without a miss anywhere) and 7 rebounds.

Honestly, it was obvious how good this kid was going to be. Instead, people looked at a static measurement (wingspan) as if somehow it could erase his incredible athletic dynamism. After the Combine, even those who'd liked Clarke put him out of the picture, not just for us but as a significant NBA player. Hell, @3 days ago, nate -- one of the most thoughtful & best informed posters in our gang -- had him most likely as a good low usage journeyman -- nothing special (I don't recall the exact words: correct me if I misread you, nate).

What's equally interesting, IMO, is that there wasn't much discussion here of Rui Hachimura at #9. Most people were just hop-hop-hoping that somehow we'd get "lucky" & one of De'Andre Hunter, Darius Garland, or Jarrett Culver would fall to us. & if not, there was a lot of sentiment for Sekou Doumboya. Maybe Jaxson Hayes. The fact that Doumboya, Hunter, Culver & Garland have none of them looked at all good hasn't resulted in any of their supporters here saying, "I guess I might have been wrong."

Once we picked Rui, otoh, there was an instant rush to jump on the bandwagon. &, hey... it might turn out that Rui is one of the very very best players out of this draft. Better than Brandon Clarke. It's early days. I don't think it's gonna be that way (though I hope Rui becomes absolutely tremendous!!), but it might.

So... really, what's interesting is how we think about draft prospects. A guy who is terrific in college has a shot to be terrific in the league. A guy who is better than another guy in college is a good bet to be a better pro.

We all make the same mistakes. Clarke was better than Hachimura in college. Much better. Then again, I had no interest in Bruno -- but when I looked again just now, I found that his numbers as a Sophomore were absolutely great!

Even now I wouldn't be able to pick Clarke out of a lineup. Never watched Gonzaga at all.

When we drafted Rui I was completely indifferent because I knew nothing about his game. After watching some vids, reading posts from people who watched him and then watching him play I became more positive about him. It probably would have been the same story if we had drafted Clarke. I have no agenda here.

I would be curious to see how Memphis is using him. I can't see him defending the 4 being so short and light for the position. I would think he would have to defend the wing to avoid getting bullied under the rim. I will have to check out Memphis at some point to see what is going on. While his measurements at the combine were bad, he aced the athletic testing.

No debating that he is putting up some impressive numbers.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1666 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 7, 2019 6:09 pm

tontoz wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Even now I wouldn't be able to pick Clarke out of a lineup. Never watched Gonzaga at all.

When we drafted Rui I was completely indifferent because I knew nothing about his game. After watching some vids, reading posts from people who watched him and then watching him play I became more positive about him. It probably would have been the same story if we had drafted Clarke. I have no agenda here.

I would be curious to see how Memphis is using him. I can't see him defending the 4 being so short and light for the position. I would think he would have to defend the wing to avoid getting bullied under the rim. I will have to check out Memphis at some point to see what is going on. While his measurements at the combine were bad, he aced the athletic testing.

No debating that he is putting up some impressive numbers.

Clarke makes up for being short by being skinny. He looks like a 3 but plays like a 5. I think part of his success so far is that opposing players and coaches aren't used to playing against someone like him. And more of it is that he's an explosive athlete who can get up in the air quicker than his opponents - ala Ben Wallace. But he doesn't have the great strength that Ben had, so I wonder how durable he's going to end up being.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#1667 » by FAH1223 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:45 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#1668 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:28 am

Man, Doncic does it every night. He had 30 points, 14 assists and 7 rebounds against the Cavs tonight in just 28 minutes. He had a TS% of 75% and only 2 turnovers. It's insane that he is only 20.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1669 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:42 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a better set of overall numbers than Doncic is putting up right now. Certainly not from a wing player. I just looked at MJ's numbers in his prime years, & they aren't at Doncic's level. Same w/ LeBron.

Now... that doesn't mean he'll replace Jordan/Lebron as the greatest in history -- or even equal them. Obviously.

But, so far....? Wow!
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1670 » by FAH1223 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 am

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1671 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm

nate33 wrote:Man, Doncic does it every night. He had 30 points, 14 assists and 7 rebounds against the Cavs tonight in just 28 minutes. He had a TS% of 75% and only 2 turnovers. It's insane that he is only 20.

He's probably not an MVP candidate this season, but he could be in the running for each of the next 10 years. He's on another level than... say... oh I dunno… hmm... Trae Young - who's a helluva player himself.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1672 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:24 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Arguably one of the greatest 4th quarter performances by a player ever.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1673 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Arguably one of the greatest 4th quarter performances by a player ever.

I watched the highlights. I've never seen a lead-scoring wing get that many wide open looks from the corner 3. What in the hell were the Hornets doing on defense? Was Satoransky and Shaquille freaking Harrison such an offensive threat that the Hornets had to sell out to stop them? Lavine shot at least 5 corner 3's with nobody within 10 feet of him!
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#1674 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Just watched the highlights of the Bulls-Buzzers.

Man, incredible. Losing by five with seven seconds left and you win at the buzzer. CHA just had their Mo Peterson moment.
In Rizzo we trust
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1675 » by FAH1223 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:49 am

https://statm.us/e/TM3r5qGUn

Embiid had 0 points against the Raptors tonight.

I didn’t know his stats were this bad vs Marc Gasol unless the info is wrong.

11ppg on 30%
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#1676 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:18 pm

tontoz wrote:Sato was the leading scorer last night in a blowout win vs the Hawks.

27 pts (10-13 from the field, 4-5 from 3), 7 rebounds and 8 assists.

Yeah, he's typically good for a handful of games like this in a season.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#1677 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:18 pm

FAH1223 wrote:https://statm.us/e/TM3r5qGUn

11ppg on 30%

Embiid was my 2nd pick in the fantasy league I participate in :lol:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1678 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 pm

What in the hell are you supposed to do with this guy?

He had 50 points, 14 boards and 6 assists with 0 turnovers. And almost all of his points were at the rim, unassisted. He just spins or eurosteps past everyone and dunks. It's not fair.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1679 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:18 pm

FAH1223 wrote:https://statm.us/e/TM3r5qGUn

11ppg on 30%

The Grizzlies defense survived losing basically every player until Gasol and then things fell apart. Meanwhile, Gasol joined the Raptors and suddenly they gained this odd ability to absolutely just shut down opposing stars whenever they want to. Gasol is a past DPOY winner and I'm under the impression that he's been woefully underrated defensively for his entire career regardless. I don't care that he shoots layups like they're half court heaves at this point in his career. He should absolutely be the DPOY this season. He's the big reason the Raptors slowed down Giannis in the playoffs last season, too, and he's the reason the Raptors are doing things like:

Lillard - 9 points on 2 for 12
Kawhi - 12 points on 2 for 11 (and 9 TOs)
Lebron - 13 points on 5 for 15

Sure, he doesn't guard those guys straight up but Gasol controls the paint like nobody else in the NBA right now outside of Gobert. He slows down anyone inside and gives his teammates way more freedom to stick to the perimeter knowing they'll have some extra time to recover with Gasol behind them. And when he does have to guard an opposing center you get stuff like:

Embiid - 0 points on 0 for 11
Vucevic - 5 points on 1 for 13
Vucevic - 3 points on 1 for 7

He deserves way more respect for his greatness than he actually gets and he's probably the single biggest example of how the box score doesn't directly capture a player's impact in the game today.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1680 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:49 pm

nate33 wrote:What in the hell are you supposed to do with this guy?

He had 50 points, 14 boards and 6 assists with 0 turnovers. And almost all of his points were at the rim, unassisted. He just spins or eurosteps past everyone and dunks. It's not fair.

That length combined with everything else makes it unfair. I'd love to know what his length is now - keeping in mind he grew quite a bit since he was originally drafted and listed then at 6'9. I'm guessing 50 points with zero turnovers has happened only a few times in NBA history. You almost have to do what Toronto did in the playoffs - triple team him with long athletic strong players when he gets within 15 feet of the basket and dare him to shoot jumpers. One person can't guard him. Horford does as well as anyone trying to do that, and he eventually wore out trying to do that in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see Philly against Milwaukee in the playoffs - now that Horford gets to team up with Embiid and Simmons. I think I could play shooting guard on that Philly team.

Return to Washington Wizards