Carmelo Anthony Insists 'This Ain't A Damn Farewell Tour', Wants To Play Next Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Carmelo Anthony Insists 'This Ain't A Damn Farewell Tour', Wants To Play Next Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Carmelo Anthony returned to the NBA on a non-guaranteed one-year, $2.15 million deal with the Portland Trail Blazers for his 17th season.

Anthony told Shams Charania of The Athletic that he wants to play beyond the current season.

“This ain’t a damn farewell tour,” Anthony said. “My love for the game don’t stop. I don’t know where this ‘farewell tour’ thing came from. I’ve never talked about a farewell tour. I know what I can do and I believe in myself. When a farewell tour comes, it comes. That’s not something I think about. I’m not thinking about retiring right now. I had during this past stretch over the summer.

“But ain’t no retiring in my mind. I believe in what I have left.”

During his sabbatical, Anthony talked to his star friends LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, but neither the Los Angeles Lakers or Miami Heat ever came close to signing him. Anthony also never asked.

“As far as friendships, I would never put business along with friendships,” Anthony said. “I would never do that. I would never reach out to a friend and say, ‘I need this. Can you do this for me?’ when it pertains to a situation that may not be in their control. It was frustrating being in my position, but I just decided: control what you can control.

“I got close friends on a lot of teams that I would never reach out to for a favor. It’s just not who I am.”

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Re: Carmelo Anthony Insists 'This Ain't A Damn Farewell Tour', Wants To Play Next Season 

Post#2 » by MegaK » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Melos the GOAT bro.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Re: Carmelo Anthony Insists 'This Ain't A Damn Farewell Tour', Wants To Play Next Season 

Post#3 » by engelmartin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 pm

I like how excited people are getting because he had one decent game against the Bulls. Let's not get too excited, he still sucks and the Blazers aren't even going to make the playoffs.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#4 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:11 pm

engelmartin wrote:I like how excited people are getting because he had one decent game against the Bulls. Let's not get too excited, he still sucks and the Blazers aren't even going to make the playoffs.

Or you know people can just be happy that a guy who has a ton of fans is finding some instant success after it looked like his career may be over.... Maybe try being a more happy person?
Rollie
Junior
And1: 34

Post#5 » by Rollie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:18 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
engelmartin wrote:I like how excited people are getting because he had one decent game against the Bulls. Let's not get too excited, he still sucks and the Blazers aren't even going to make the playoffs.

Or you know people can just be happy that a guy who has a ton of fans is finding some instant success after it looked like his career may be over.... Maybe try being a more happy person?

No. That's too easy.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,837

Post#6 » by nikster » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:10 am

Rollie wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

No. That's too easy.

judging by these forums, being angry is the easy thing
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#7 » by Badbobby » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:28 am

nikster wrote:
Rollie wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

No. That's too easy.

judging by these forums, being angry is the easy thing

I like post-sabbatical melo more than I ever liked a melo. Even more than hoodie melo
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#8 » by jstudabaka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 am

Loved watching some vintage Melo. If he were officiated like James Harden, Melo would've averaged 40 a game
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#9 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:23 am

MegaK wrote:Melos the GOAT bro.

But only the goat of saying ridiculous stuff!!
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#10 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:43 am

I love how Melo thinks he'd get a farewell tour.

He really does. He totally thinks he's in the farewell tour stratosphere of the NBA. The guy is a complete gem.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:56 am

danfantastk32 wrote:I love how Melo thinks he'd get a farewell tour.

He really does. He totally thinks he's in the farewell tour stratosphere of the NBA. The guy is a complete gem.

How old are you? Not an insult; I seriously want to know. This hating on Melo thing is pretty recent. He's a 10x All-Star and 6x All-NBA. And he'd definitely have a couple more ASG's if he didn't start his career in the West. He has earned more respect than he receives.... and I am not a Melo fan. He was unguardible for over a decade.

.... and all he said is that he would like to keep playing beyond this season. But I don't guess you actually read the story.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:48 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:

How old are you? Not an insult; I seriously want to know. This hating on Melo thing is pretty recent. He's a 10x All-Star and 6x All-NBA. And he'd definitely have a couple more ASG's if he didn't start his career in the West. He has earned more respect than he receives.... and I am not a Melo fan. He was unguardible for over a decade.

.... and all he said is that he would like to keep playing beyond this season. But I don't guess you actually read the story.

A) Prob older than you. Been watching NBA since the 80's. Let me let you in on a secret......melo SUCKS. Crap player. Lot's of points, very few wins. Anyone with at sense of 'team' understands melo's place in the NBA. Prob explains why he couldn't find work for months, even as a vet min.

B) I read the story, and yes...I find it laughable that the mere concept of 'farewell tour' entered his mind.

C) You'd do well, not to consider eastern conference all-star appearances as a gauge for what sort of player a person is. Not only was Melo 'guardible'....but he was incredibly easy to plan for: Let him jack up a billion shots....and win the game. <------hence, his record with the Knicks.

Unguardable my ass. Unwatchable maybe.

D) This Melo hating ain't new. The nail in his coffin was the 18 and 2 record (whatever it was) that the knicks had when he got hurt. Remember the whole "Lincanity" thing??? Team went on a tear when he went out, and then crazily enough....started losing again the moment he got back, and insisted in hoisting up 50 shots a game.

Melo is a LOSER. Big time LOSER. Garbage player. If you wanna enjoy his swan song in Portland, be my guest.
Arp590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,989

Post#13 » by Arp590 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:58 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

A) Prob older than you. Been watching NBA since the 80's. Let me let you in on a secret......melo SUCKS. Crap player. Lot's of points, very few wins. Anyone with at sense of 'team' understands melo's place in the NBA. Prob explains why he couldn't find work for months, even as a vet min.

B) I read the story, and yes...I find it laughable that the mere concept of 'farewell tour' entered his mind.

C) You'd do well, not to consider eastern conference all-star appearances as a gauge for what sort of player a person is. Not only was Melo 'guardible'....but he was incredibly easy to plan for: Let him jack up a billion shots....and win the game. <------hence, his record with the Knicks.

D) This Melo hating ain't new. The nail in his coffin was the 18 and 2 record (whatever it was) that the knicks had when he got hurt. Remember the whole "Lincanity" thing??? Team went on a tear when he went out, and then crazily enough....started losing again the moment he got back, and insisted in hoisting up 50 shots a game.

Melo is a LOSER. Big time LOSER. Garbage player. If you wanna enjoy his swan song in Portland, be my guest.

Melo is responding to OTHER PEOPLE saying that this is a farewell tour.... i'm not sure how you missed that.
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#14 » by Durant Durant » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:47 pm

everybody deserves a 2nd chance even those who may not seem to deserve it. so heck go at 'em Melo.
No no yes yes
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Durant Durant wrote:everybody deserves a 2nd chance even those who may not seem to deserve it. so heck go at 'em Melo.

Hey listen...my hyperbole aside...if the guy can get a gig in the NBA, great for him. He hasn't killed anyone, beat his kids, DUI, or none of that. I don't HATE him. I think he's an incredibly selfish player. And I'm really glad he's not a Laker. He just brings his teams down.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:43 am

Arp590 wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:How old are you? Not an insult; I seriously want to know. This hating on Melo thing is pretty recent. He's a 10x All-Star and 6x All-NBA. And he'd definitely have a couple more ASG's if he didn't start his career in the West. He has earned more respect than he receives.... and I am not a Melo fan. He was unguardible for over a decade.

Melo is responding to OTHER PEOPLE saying that this is a farewell tour.... i'm not sure how you missed that.

Someone gets it!
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#17 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:57 am

He's a first ballot HoF'er. I don't understand your deal.

Return to Wiretap Discussion