ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,491

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 244 Nate vs Masvidal at MSG for the BMF belt! 

Post#381 » by j4remi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:53 pm

It's fight night and I'm mostly just here for Jacare vs Blachowicz. I'm a Jacare stan and I'm nervous about him moving up when he's not a particularly big MW. But he's really good and always has grappling, so I'm hopeful.

Other then that, we get Alves vs Brown which should be fire. Bobby Green comes back. James Krause has been cooking at welterweight and he gets Sergio Moraes. The one I'm hype for is Oliveira vs Gordon though, I like Flash Gordon but Charles Oliveira is an ANIMAL. He seems overdue for a big name tbh. Then Rua gets the very poor striking Paul Craig, which should measure if Rua is completely done or not. It's slim pickins but Jacare vs Blachowicz is a good one!
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 244 Nate vs Masvidal at MSG for the BMF belt! 

Post#382 » by j4remi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Jacare fight was lame, I edged Jan so I wasn't mad at the decision. Jacare's time may have passed, but he should probably give 185 one last go. The Hermanson loss was with a short notice change and he wasn't right mentally for that one. He's also right that he keeps getting the raw end of close decisions. I still think he beat Romero and that rematch is probably never happening unfortunately.

Rua is cooked. Craig always looked like a bad striker, hits hard but no defense. Rua struggled to a draw with him. Oliveira had the performance of the night to me and needs a ranked opponent ASAP. Second goes to Randy Brown for a nice submission win. Tracy Cortez is dreamy, a cool social media personality and had a really solid debut but time will tell with her prospect status in terms of in octagon performance. The learning curve gets steep fast in the UFC but they'll probably be smart and bring her along the right way to lock in some wins and grow her game.

No UFC for the next couple weeks but this weekend has a Bellator event with MVP for a main event. The real main event though is getting another look at Fabian Edwards, idk anybody that doesn't like him as a prospect. He's gonna be a fast riser if Bellator doesn't slow track him MVP style.

I also wanna throw in that the Journey from white belt to black belt interview officially became our most listened to podcast episode out of 30+ episodes (Our Bernie Rally in Queensbridge podcast is a close second place). So to any of yall that peeped it, thank you and much appreciated. We're bringing in a Diamond Gloves boxer who now owns a Gym in Jersey (and also another one of our long time friends) soon. So I'll definitely share it with yall.

Also linked to that BJJ podcast, we went heavy enthusiastic about the Quintet series and the next one got announced not long after. Quintet Ultra is happening in December and the teams will be based on MMA promotion affiliation. UFC, Pride, Strikeforce and WEC will each have five man grappling teams in a relay style BJJ event. I love grappling but understand that a lot of combat sports heads don't enjoy it as much...even those heads that don't really dig it have enjoyed watching Quintet with me. I'm HYPE for this one and would highly recommend yall give it a shot if you have fight pass or some other way to access it lol
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#383 » by j4remi » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Alright yall,we got an extra dry weekend. It's weird going back to back with no UFC to look forward to and at least this past weekend we got Edwards and MVP. The most interesting story of the week was Deontay Wilder with another bonkers one punch KO in his rematch with Ortiz. He gave away rounds looking for the right, but man...he just looked a bit craftier about it. He didn't eat anything that felt too threatening, eventually established his jab and then between the jabs, feints and ceding a bit of ground once in awhile...he lined up that right hand. I feel like Wilder never gets the love he deserves in boxing circles because he's not technically pleasing to watch, but his power is just unbelievable and he honestly has grown a lot from when I started hyping him as a potential Klitschko killer (it's been that long fam).

Anyway, I've got a podcast interview that I think came out great. Here's the link and run down:
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-fans-perspective/e/65509397?autoplay=true

A few months back two of my friends bought a gym. Dane had trained as a boxer his whole life, competing in the NJ Diamond Gloves tournament at one point and Will had spent years learning Gracie Jiu Jitsu. So now a couple of months into their growth, they stopped by and did an interview for my podcast that I think combat sports heads could appreciate...especially if you've ever contemplated becoming an instructor or going further and opening a school. We get into parents of bullied students thanking Dane, awkward situations for BJJ newcomers, Bareknuckle boxing and some MMA striking talk too.

Here's time stamps if yall want to jump around to topics that interest you.
What is Combat Fit Club 3:30 - (the gym my boys opened)
The Bully 6:50 - (Dane and Will were teaching a bullied student without knowing until his mom came in to thank them within weeks of the kid joining)
North South 15:55 - (Awkward BJJ positions for newcomers)
Will's journey 18:45 - (how he became an enthusiast)
Fugazi instructors 22:05 - (McDojo Instructors and the utility of self-defense vs sport training)
Knight vs Lobov 24:25 - (how Dane gained newfound respect for the sport watching Knight's adjustments)
Bare Knuckle Boxing 26:00 - (a broader discussion of BKB from a Boxer's perspective)
Striking in MMA 40:50 - (Now a boxer's perspective on MMA Striking)
Training lil killers 42:10 - (Young students learning to be tough but disciplined)
Jason Knight bathroom brawl 45:45 - (A viral clip of Knight fighting two dudes in a bathroom stall discussed)
Dane has Spidey sense 53:00 - (Dane can spot trouble coming a mile away)
Jhan Boom will call the cops 54:50 - (Jhan Boom is too old to get mixed up in someone else's scraps)
Being real is a disadvantage 55:50 - (the disadvantages and advantages of refusing to play politics or humor people)
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 969

Post#384 » by EliteSmarts » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 pm

j4remi wrote:Alright yall,we got an extra dry weekend. It's weird going back to back with no UFC to look forward to and at least this past weekend we got Edwards and MVP. The most interesting story of the week was Deontay Wilder with another bonkers one punch KO in his rematch with Ortiz. He gave away rounds looking for the right, but man...he just looked a bit craftier about it. He didn't eat anything that felt too threatening, eventually established his jab and then between the jabs, feints and ceding a bit of ground once in awhile...he lined up that right hand. I feel like Wilder never gets the love he deserves in boxing circles because he's not technically pleasing to watch, but his power is just unbelievable and he honestly has grown a lot from when I started hyping him as a potential Klitschko killer (it's been that long fam).

Anyway, I've got a podcast interview that I think came out great. Here's the link and run down:

A few months back two of my friends bought a gym. Dane had trained as a boxer his whole life, competing in the NJ Diamond Gloves tournament at one point and Will had spent years learning Gracie Jiu Jitsu. So now a couple of months into their growth, they stopped by and did an interview for my podcast that I think combat sports heads could appreciate...especially if you've ever contemplated becoming an instructor or going further and opening a school. We get into parents of bullied students thanking Dane, awkward situations for BJJ newcomers, Bareknuckle boxing and some MMA striking talk too.

The Bully 6:50 - (Dane and Will were teaching a bullied student without knowing until his mom came in to thank them within weeks of the kid joining)
Fugazi instructors 22:05 - (McDojo Instructors and the utility of self-defense vs sport training)
Knight vs Lobov 24:25 - (how Dane gained newfound respect for the sport watching Knight's adjustments)
Bare Knuckle Boxing 26:00 - (a broader discussion of BKB from a Boxer's perspective)
Training lil killers 42:10 - (Young students learning to be tough but disciplined)
Jason Knight bathroom brawl 45:45 - (A viral clip of Knight fighting two dudes in a bathroom stall discussed)
Jhan Boom will call the cops 54:50 - (Jhan Boom is too old to get mixed up in someone else's scraps)
Being real is a disadvantage 55:50 - (the disadvantages and advantages of refusing to play politics or humor people)

I got some questions for you man

Who is Wilder next opponent, is it Fury or the winner of Ruiz & Joshua?

What do you think of Ruiz vs Joshua II, do you think it'll be great fight and worth the hype?

What do you think of matchup of Jon Jones vs Reyes? Some people think Reyes is just meh fighter and just a warm body for Jones. Is Reyes a worthy opponet for Jones?

What's the next Great UFC PPV card, I'm a casual but haven't watched UFC PPV card since McGregor vs Khabib so it's been a while, excited to watch the next great card.

Thanks for your great work!
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#385 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:25 pm

EliteSmarts wrote:
j4remi wrote:Alright yall,we got an extra dry weekend. It's weird going back to back with no UFC to look forward to and at least this past weekend we got Edwards and MVP. The most interesting story of the week was Deontay Wilder with another bonkers one punch KO in his rematch with Ortiz. He gave away rounds looking for the right, but man...he just looked a bit craftier about it. He didn't eat anything that felt too threatening, eventually established his jab and then between the jabs, feints and ceding a bit of ground once in awhile...he lined up that right hand. I feel like Wilder never gets the love he deserves in boxing circles because he's not technically pleasing to watch, but his power is just unbelievable and he honestly has grown a lot from when I started hyping him as a potential Klitschko killer (it's been that long fam).

I got some questions for you man

What do you think of Ruiz vs Joshua II, do you think it'll be great fight and worth the hype?

What do you think of matchup of Jon Jones vs Reyes? Some people think Reyes is just meh fighter and just a warm body for Jones. Is Reyes a worthy opponet for Jones?

What's the next Great UFC PPV card, I'm a casual but haven't watched UFC PPV card since McGregor vs Khabib so it's been a while, excited to watch the next great card.

The Wilder vs Fury fight is already set for Feb 22nd.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#386 » by GEOLINK » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Conor at WW again took me by surprise.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,625

Post#387 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Read on Twitter
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#388 » by j4remi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:12 pm

EliteSmarts wrote:I got some questions for you man

Hey fam, thank you for the look! It's much appreciated! As for your questions:

I think Wilder's next opponent being Fury made the most sense and it was also really smart to get that signed before Joshua vs Ruiz happens. Ruiz stopping Joshua again would potentially cause a debate about who Wilder should fight and we'd get the "ducking" conversations. For my money, treating Wilder/Fury 2 and AJ/Ruiz 2 (and potentially AJ/Ruiz 3 tbh) as a sort of Heavyweight tournament is the way to build up to a massive final match-up between winners.

I couldn't be more excited about a heavyweight fight than I am for Joshua vs Ruiz. There were rumors that Joshua had gotten knocked out badly in training which may have affected his performance but Ruiz also looks to be in the best shape we've seen him. So both fighters should be coming into this one as improved versions of themselves. I have a hard time picking for it, though I tend to think of AJ as too chinny for someone with the hand speed and power of a Ruiz (or a Wilder for that matter). My best guess is a decision goes to AJ and a finish goes to Ruiz, but with heavyweights you never know.

Jones vs Reyes is getting downplayed a little too hard right now. Reyes is a really good all around fighter with pop in both hands and he's only really had trouble with the freak athlete Oezdemir. That said, what Reyes hasn't shown that makes him downplayed is that one individual skill to lean on and beat Jones. Dom's a jack of all trades type but that's not what we tend to expect will unseat Jones who has basically evolved to a master of all type.

One thing I will say though about Reyes/Jones and this would be true of ANYBODY fighting Jones next. Thiago Santos exposed a potential hole in Jon Jones armor. Bones didn't deal with the leg kicks well at all and that's something a good fighter can mimic to see if Jones has figured out a counter. Dominick actually has some nice leg kicks (not Thiago good but no one's are). I tend to think Jon will have a counter ready, he's incredibly smart. But watching for how he intends to discourage leg kicks going forward is half the fun.

The next absolute bombshell UFC is probably gonna come in April 2020. That would be Tony Ferguson vs Khabib Nurmagomedov in Brooklyn. We don't actually have the rest of the fights yet but Khabib is one of the biggest draws in the sport, Ferguson is one of the most exciting fighters in the sport and the UFC only goes big when they put on a card in NY. So I'm expecting that one to be completely loaded.

A more under the radar but stacked with quality fights card is the upcoming 245 one. That's got three title fights and a hype line-up for the main card altogether:
- The grudge match between Colby Covington and Kamaru Usman for the Welterweight title unification finally happens. The only issue is it's two elite wrestlers and if they cancel each other out, that could get boring.

- Max Holloway is my favorite fighter bar none presently. He defends his belt against Alexander Volkanovski. Both guys throw a ton of volume and Volk represents the next generation after Max successfully cleared the division of the last gen. Alex is shorter but more explosive and quick. Max is extremely savvy and uses his length really well. I expect this one to be super entertaining.

- Amanda Nunes is the GOAT female fighter imo and she's defending her belt against Germaine De Randamie. I hate De Randamie but she's an incredibly gifted striker (she had a mini viral moment when clips of her KO'ing a man in a muay thai fight dropped). It's always fun to watch Nunes and this one's a rematch (Amanda won the first time), so they'll come in a bit more prepared for each other. I think it'll be more competitive than a lot of Nunes' recent match-ups.

- Then Jose Aldo moves down to 135 and fights Marlon Moraes who just fought for the belt. We're talking about to of the fastest power strikers in MMA, hair trigger counter hitters. Aldo was still comfortably top 5 in the stacked 145 and Moraes is probably top 3 in the also stacked 135 lbs division. So this could be fast, it could be a chess match but it's going to be a sight to behold.

- And last the legend, Uriah Faber goes up against the next 135 contender for the belt in my book Peter Yan. Yan is really special, great boxing and striking overall on top of a high level wrestling acumen. Faber brings veteran experience and some tried and true techniques. If he gets you in a choke off a scramble, he can end the fight and if you let him land the overhand right...you've blown it. This is really a great chance to showcase for Yan though, because we know what to expect from Faber.

That card doesn't have the names to pop though. It's one that might not do huge numbers but then after the fact people will talk about it being a good one. The April card will be the true must-see if I had to predict. Khabib vs Tony is special, you don't get dominant guys like that to cross paths at a perfect time. This is their 5th attempt and they've both only become bigger names with bigger resumes after each try.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#389 » by j4remi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:14 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

First thing I said when I saw WW...he's gonna gun for Masvidal if he wins. Second thing I said...that's not a good idea. :lol:

It also gives him an excuse to fight Cowboy instead of Gaethje, who just beat Cowboy. Justin's too close to a title shot at 155 to do a WW fight imo.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 969

Post#390 » by EliteSmarts » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:48 pm

j4remi wrote:
EliteSmarts wrote:I got some questions for you man

Hey fam, thank you for the look! It's much appreciated! As for your questions:

I think Wilder's next opponent being Fury made the most sense and it was also really smart to get that signed before Joshua vs Ruiz happens. Ruiz stopping Joshua again would potentially cause a debate about who Wilder should fight and we'd get the "ducking" conversations. For my money, treating Wilder/Fury 2 and AJ/Ruiz 2 (and potentially AJ/Ruiz 3 tbh) as a sort of Heavyweight tournament is the way to build up to a massive final match-up between winners.

I couldn't be more excited about a heavyweight fight than I am for Joshua vs Ruiz. There were rumors that Joshua had gotten knocked out badly in training which may have affected his performance but Ruiz also looks to be in the best shape we've seen him. So both fighters should be coming into this one as improved versions of themselves. I have a hard time picking for it, though I tend to think of AJ as too chinny for someone with the hand speed and power of a Ruiz (or a Wilder for that matter). My best guess is a decision goes to AJ and a finish goes to Ruiz, but with heavyweights you never know.

Jones vs Reyes is getting downplayed a little too hard right now. Reyes is a really good all around fighter with pop in both hands and he's only really had trouble with the freak athlete Oezdemir. That said, what Reyes hasn't shown that makes him downplayed is that one individual skill to lean on and beat Jones. Dom's a jack of all trades type but that's not what we tend to expect will unseat Jones who has basically evolved to a master of all type.

One thing I will say though about Reyes/Jones and this would be true of ANYBODY fighting Jones next. Thiago Santos exposed a potential hole in Jon Jones armor. Bones didn't deal with the leg kicks well at all and that's something a good fighter can mimic to see if Jones has figured out a counter. Dominick actually has some nice leg kicks (not Thiago good but no one's are). I tend to think Jon will have a counter ready, he's incredibly smart. But watching for how he intends to discourage leg kicks going forward is half the fun.

The next absolute bombshell UFC is probably gonna come in April 2020. That would be Tony Ferguson vs Khabib Nurmagomedov in Brooklyn. We don't actually have the rest of the fights yet but Khabib is one of the biggest draws in the sport, Ferguson is one of the most exciting fighters in the sport and the UFC only goes big when they put on a card in NY. So I'm expecting that one to be completely loaded.

A more under the radar but stacked with quality fights card is the upcoming 245 one. That's got three title fights and a hype line-up for the main card altogether:
- The grudge match between Colby Covington and Kamaru Usman for the Welterweight title unification finally happens. The only issue is it's two elite wrestlers and if they cancel each other out, that could get boring.

- Max Holloway is my favorite fighter bar none presently. He defends his belt against Alexander Volkanovski. Both guys throw a ton of volume and Volk represents the next generation after Max successfully cleared the division of the last gen. Alex is shorter but more explosive and quick. Max is extremely savvy and uses his length really well. I expect this one to be super entertaining.

- Amanda Nunes is the GOAT female fighter imo and she's defending her belt against Germaine De Randamie. I hate De Randamie but she's an incredibly gifted striker (she had a mini viral moment when clips of her KO'ing a man in a muay thai fight dropped). It's always fun to watch Nunes and this one's a rematch (Amanda won the first time), so they'll come in a bit more prepared for each other. I think it'll be more competitive than a lot of Nunes' recent match-ups.

- Then Jose Aldo moves down to 135 and fights Marlon Moraes who just fought for the belt. We're talking about to of the fastest power strikers in MMA, hair trigger counter hitters. Aldo was still comfortably top 5 in the stacked 145 and Moraes is probably top 3 in the also stacked 135 lbs division. So this could be fast, it could be a chess match but it's going to be a sight to behold.

- And last the legend, Uriah Faber goes up against the next 135 contender for the belt in my book Peter Yan. Yan is really special, great boxing and striking overall on top of a high level wrestling acumen. Faber brings veteran experience and some tried and true techniques. If he gets you in a choke off a scramble, he can end the fight and if you let him land the overhand right...you've blown it. This is really a great chance to showcase for Yan though, because we know what to expect from Faber.

That card doesn't have the names to pop though. It's one that might not do huge numbers but then after the fact people will talk about it being a good one. The April card will be the true must-see if I had to predict. Khabib vs Tony is special, you don't get dominant guys like that to cross paths at a perfect time. This is their 5th attempt and they've both only become bigger names with bigger resumes after each try.

I appreciate the excellent knowledge my brother, keep up the great work!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#391 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:33 pm

j4remi wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

First thing I said when I saw WW...he's gonna gun for Masvidal if he wins. Second thing I said...that's not a good idea. :lol:

It also gives him an excuse to fight Cowboy instead of Gaethje, who just beat Cowboy. Justin's too close to a title shot at 155 to do a WW fight imo.

:nod:

Too much money, too much No. 12 and too much whatever else Conor has been indulging in. This guy has lost his edge and mental focus and he's going to fight a guy who always always has that edge and focus, even if he may be beginning the decline of his career.

I'd put some money down on Cowboy.
Free Palestine
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#392 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:52 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Too much money, too much No. 12 and too much whatever else Conor has been indulging in. This guy has lost his edge and mental focus and he's going to fight a guy who always always has that edge and focus, even if he may be beginning the decline of his career.

I'm a huge Cowboy Cerrone fan but i'm actually a little worried about him with this fight. Connor has been through a lot of stuff since he's been gone, or should i say that he's gotten himself into a lot of stuff since he's been out, but i don't think Cowboy will be able to handle the power Connor has in that left hand especially if he goes to the body where Cowboy has been hurt by being hit before. He's lost his last two fights and he's obviously getting old for the fight game. Cowboy does have a very underrated ground game so i think it would be smart for Cowboy to get him down but Connor has good take down defense as well so maybe he can land some good kicks on him.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#393 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:03 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:

I'm a huge Cowboy Cerrone fan but i'm actually a little worried about him with this fight. Connor has been through a lot of stuff since he's been gone, or should i say that he's gotten himself into a lot of stuff since he's been out, but i don't think Cowboy will be able to handle the power Connor has in that left hand especially if he goes to the body where Cowboy has been hurt by being hit before. He's lost his last two fights and he's obviously getting old for the fight game. Cowboy does have a very underrated ground game so i think it would be smart for Cowboy to get him down but Connor has good take down defense as well so maybe he can land some good kicks on him.

But you're analyzing the fight as if Conor has been fighting and is battle-tested. What I'm saying is that he's not mentally ready to fight yet because he's still descending downward. He hasn't gotten his life together yet. I think he should've taken an easier warmup fight first. There would be no shame if he had chosen to do that. His mind still ain't right.
Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#394 » by GEOLINK » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:23 pm

Gotta see if Conor has the same power in his left hand after breaking it in sparring.

I'm sure Conor will win the fight.

It's the smart fight for him to take and it's the one he should've taken a year ago instead of coming back after two years to fight Khabib.

If it's true that he's wants to fight Masvidal or Diaz, if he wins this, before he fights Khabib/Tony winner in December, then that's the right path.

Is it wrong for him to leap frog other contenders? Absolutely.

But the only draw in the company has the power to do that.

Just like GSP came back and challenged for the MW title.

I think Dana carefully picked who Conor fights in his comeback unlike willy nilly putting him against someone who is counter his style of fighting like Gaethje or someone else on the rankings would be.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#395 » by GEOLINK » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:27 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

But you're analyzing the fight as if Conor has been fighting and is battle-tested. What I'm saying is that he's not mentally ready to fight yet because he's still descending downward. He hasn't gotten his life together yet. I think he should've taken an easier warmup fight first. There would be no shame if he had chosen to do that. His mind still ain't right.

I think the first press conference will be the truth teller on where he's at mentally right now.

I think he's serious this time about his comeback. He's stayed out of the news, outside of stuff he did earlier this year, for the most part and has been in camp training.

Why I say the first press conference? Because if he looks out of it like he did here

Then that means he's not taking Cerrone seriously, which will mean bad things for him.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC on ESPN 7 + news 

Post#396 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 6, 2019 8:37 pm

Alright yall, after two weeks off from the UFC we get an ESPN card (and a biggie next week btw but we'll get to that after this card). UFC on ESPN 7 is like a lot of the other ESPN cards, it's not super stacked but the depth on the card is great. Let's go with some of my favorite match-ups, it's free and worth a watch fam.

Main Event:
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Alistair Overeem - If you haven't heard of Jairzinho Rozenstruik, don't worry, he's kinda come out of no where. But here's the deal, he's got three UFC fights and three KO's. His last two opponents were the social media famous Allen Crowder and the former champion Andrei Arlovski...he Ko'ed them in a combined 38 seconds. Arlovski is known as chinny but hadn't been finished in 3 years. So 9 fights into his career Rozenstruik KO's a former champ for the first time in three years and does it so quickly that he's given a match with Overeem one month later.

Yall probably do know Alistair. Dude is one of the best technical strikers in HW history with legendary knees, incredible power but a shaky chin in his own right. Reem has 5 times as many wins (45) as Rozenstruik has fights (9). Reem also has 17 losses, just about twice as many as Jairzinho has fights.

But for the combat sports heads, you may know the phrase "touch of death." It's a term for a fighter who just needs to land one clean punch to finish a fight. Rozenstruik has that in spades. He comes in light for HW which gives him some speed and he has serious length behind clean, precise boxing. Put it all together and you've got a fast, precise puncher with kiss of death hands. The Weasel went so far as to say he could KO Reem with a jab...so yall don't want to miss this, it could be the next big HW prospect's moment of leaping onto the scene.

Cynthia Calvillo vs Marina Rodriguez - These are two awesome prospects. Calvillo lost a close one to Esparza but has been a murderer on the ground and a team alpha male gem. Rodriguez hit the UFC and immediately beat Jessica Aguilar and Tecia Torres, two TOUGH opponents for anyone let alone a newbie. Here's the gist of this one. Calvillo needs to take the fight to the ground while Rodriguez is a super sharp striker. It should be fun though Calvillo came in 4 lbs. over weight which is simply too damned much but could give her an added edge bringing the fight to the ground (vice versa it could mean there's an injury we don't know about that hurt her weight cut).

Struve vs Rothwell - Rothwell has insane power, Struve has terrible defense but is the tallest fighter in UFC history...I expect a highlight reel KO one way or the other.

Kunitskaya vs Ladd - Aspen Ladd was one fight away from a title fight but got instant KO'ed by De Randamie. Kunitskaya's only loss is to Cyborg since making the UFC and she's got a lot of size for the division. I don't think she's all she's cracked up to be and expect Ladd to be able to get this one to the ground...but if she can't, Yana will do some DAMAGE. Ladd has holes in her game, all striking related.

Song Yadong vs Cody Stamman - Fam!!! Fam!!! This is one of the lowest fights on the card for no good reason. Stamman's only loss is to Aljimain Sterling the rightful number one contender at 135 (though oft overlooked). His last four wins are over killers. He has extremely aggressive stand-up and smart level changes but is punchable.

Then there's Song Yadong, one of the most hype prospects in the division. Yadong has 17 pro fights at 22 years old and a lightning quick overhand right that drops everyone it touches. A lot of his game is built around baiting you into the overhand but I've seen this dude just time it coming forward as well. He's also got really impressive defensive instincts all around, his right hand jumped a level as he started to build around counters and no one has taken him down. It's my most hyped fight on the card.

Ricky Simon vs Rob Font - Ricky Simon was a really hyped prospect and people thought he'd be on a quick come up, then Uriah Faber came out of retirement and knocked him out. But Simon was fighting his idol, is young and the mental game may have caught him. The thing is, Rob Font is a serious step up in competition either way. He's fresh off a win over Sergio Pettis and has only lost to contender level fighters. I feel like Ricky got pushed into too big an opponent too soon which sucks because this could mark two in a row.

Quick undercard hype:
Tim Means is fighting Thiago Alves...that's a lot of viciousness in one bout with two guys that can and will brawl when someone starts to back them up. It could end quickly but if it lasts, it could also be the FotN.

Also Bryce Mitchell was one of the most promising fighters off of a late TUF season but has had a long layoff due to a powertool related accident that is gross...if you care to find out, google it your damned self. But anyway, he comes back on the under card and I'm excited to see how he's grown since it's been a very long time and he was very promising.

Next week we get three title fights and two top contenders at bantamweight vs two legends! Plus there's news I wanna dive in on.

You guys have talked some about Conor vs Cowboy, so when I get some extra time I want to add my two cents. Frankie Edgar just jumped into Brian Ortega's spot and will fight MY GUY Korean Zombie in January...then the UFC expects him to fight Cory Sandhagen at 10 lbs. lighter a month later...I don't think that'll happen.

Lastly Floyd Mayweather and Dana White have entered a verbal agreement for something they say will be "fun" with a plan to have contracts ready to go in March; so let's speculate fam. Wtf is happening, Money Mayweather and Dana White, here we go.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 245 is HYPE! Come make picks! 

Post#397 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:39 pm

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/fteswl/e/65970495?autoplay=true

Alright fam, UFC 245 is going down this weekend, three title fights, two legends vs two contenders and a stacked undercard. My detailed thoughts are all in the podcast above but here's some quick picks, lemme know your thoughts because I feel pretty confident but a lot of people have disagreed with me on picks...which scares me.

Usman over Colby - Usman is bigger, stronger, and I think he hits a lot harder. In the podcast, I touch on why I think this could be a let down of a fight and we detail how important this is for the UFC marketing team. Usman needs a big showing or Colby can line up pay days; but I picture a potential Woodley/Wonderboy situation. I also make the case for Usman cleaning out the division...

Max over Volkanovski - Max's height, jabs and footwork are enough to counter Volk's rhythm breaking in my book. This is the fight I'm most looking forward to. Two guys that have outstanding footwork and space control but deeply contrasting striking...This will be film study worthy almost guaranteed.

Nunes over GDR - I give a brief rewind to their first fight, talk about why we kinda hate GDR but also give De Randamie her props....she KO'ed a man in a pro fight, how could you not. I think Nunes is just too good and has too many ways to win when you factor in grappling and power.

Moraes over Aldo - A lot of this discussion falls to Aldo's mental state and ability to cut to 135 healthily. If Aldo looks healthy after rehydrating, he's got a shot to upset. But I picture more of a TJ Dillashaw scenario.

Yan over Faber - Petr Yan is special. I think he's the best 135'er right now. I take him over Cejudo and Sterling (Sterling is number two though). We also give props to Uriah for wanting all the smoke.

Fights we couldn't talk about but that you should.
Neal over Perry - I'm torn on this one. Neal has looked hittable but tough, Perry is definitely tough and hittable but packs crazy power. This should be a blast to watch and you'll be watching two sluggers rock. Neal is the more technically talented guy but Perry has actually shown some growth. I take Geoff Neal though and if you haven't seen him fight, check some highlights he's really good.

Viera over Aldana - I actually mentioned Ketlen Vieria in my Nunes breakdown. She was right on the verge of that fight before a serious knee injury. Ketlen is SUPER tough and has incredible ground work. Aldana is a threat but I think If Viera is back at full health, she wins.

Matt Brown over Ben Saunders - Man, I like Killer B a lot. Ben's rubber guard is super fun to watch, a rarity for a typical stalling position. But Matt Brown is Matt Brown. He has the king of all elbow KO's in his Sanchez finish and always forces a war. I'm glad he's back.

Chase Hooper vs Daniel Teymur - Poor man's David Teymur has fast, sharp striking but more holes than his brother. Hooper...19 year old phenom with just 6 fights under his belt. I think Hooper gets it to the ground and finishes with a choke. Watch for the prospect.

Brandon Moreno vs Kai Kara France - Moreno forces everyone to work for the entirety of the fight but his game isn't as technical as it should be. He's more work than technique. Kai is a striking savant with serious upside but his ground game is questionable. This should be fun as hell.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#398 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:32 am

Colby over Usman. Lawler was bigger and stronger too and know what happened there. Is Usman that much stronger and better striker? Colby's such a weird/unique fighter, I just don't know. Colby's such an a-hole.

Volkanovski vs. Max is going to be one helluva fight. I have no idea here.

I like Germaine over Nunes. She has the size, strength and striking ability. If I recall, I think GDR's takedown defense is pretty good, no? We'll see if the Lioness still has the hunger or whether she's been living soft.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#399 » by j4remi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:12 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Colby over Usman. Lawler was bigger and stronger too and know what happened there. Is Usman that much stronger and better striker? Colby's such a weird/unique fighter, I just don't know. Colby's such an a-hole.

Volkanovski vs. Max is going to be one helluva fight. I have no idea here.

I like Germaine over Nunes. She has the size, strength and striking ability. If I recall, I think GDR's takedown defense is pretty good, no? We'll see if the Lioness still has the hunger or whether she's been living soft.

Robbie's definitely got similar size, but his wrestling has been all defense. Usman's a different grappler altogether, I think he's gonna fair a lot better in the clinch situations.

Volk vs Max is definitely the highlight of the night.

GDR's takedown defense since Nunes has been perfect, 100% defense rate. But she hasn't had anyone really press her. Ladd woulda been that person but the fight was over in 16 seconds flat. So I'm still not really sure about GDR's takedown D but you're right that it's been good. And if she can keep the fight on its feet, she's got a real shot to pull this off. She's just that good defensively.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#400 » by Tron Carter » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Usman Colby is such a style clash. I can’t see the fight being competitive. Someone is getting dominated. Could see Colby overwhelming Usman with volume on the feet while neutralizing his wrestling or Usman just imposing his size and will on Colby and just mauling him for 5 rounds. Such a coin flip.

Max vs. Volk has FOTN written all over it though.
R.I.P Black Mamba

Return to New York Knicks