A Tech Guy with a Jumper - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,585

Re: The Mayor - Spencer Dinwiddie Thread 

Post#641 » by Rich Rane » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Karate Diop wrote:So... It needs to be asked... Does Spencer stay with the team knowing that he'll never be a starter with Kyrie around?

Should the Nets entertain moving him? Or would you rather overpay Spencer in hope that by doing so he'll play?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using RealGM mobile app

It needs to be asked

No, it seriously didn't. He re-signed for 3 years knowing he'd be a backup (to either D-Lo or Kyrie since he helped recruit signing him) with most likely a lot of playing time.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#642 » by gigantes » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:36 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:So... It needs to be asked... Does Spencer stay with the team knowing that he'll never be a starter with Kyrie around?

Should the Nets entertain moving him? Or would you rather overpay Spencer in hope that by doing so he'll play?

It needs to be asked

No, it seriously didn't. He re-signed for 3 years knowing he'd be a backup (to either D-Lo or Kyrie since he helped recruit signing him) with most likely a lot of playing time.

Oh cmon... it's not an unreasonable Q.

I think we've all seen the number of players who get it in to their heads at some point that they deserve to start, no matter what. Also, if DWidd keeps playing as productively as he has lately, you have to think the human ego is still the human ego. As the saying goes, "times change, boychick."

That said, hopefully the difference here is that the guy (like many) loves the Nets culture, and is willing to sacrifice a little bit in order to stay.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#643 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:42 am

gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

It needs to be asked

I think we've all seen the number of players who get it in to their heads at some point that they deserve to start, no matter what. Also, if DWidd keeps playing as productively as he has lately, you have to think the human ego is still the human ego. And things change.

Kyrie has made the playoffs in all, but his first 3 seasons, starting for all of them. He has a ring. He made 2 All-NBA teams. He's a 6x All-Star.

Dinwiddie was in the running for 6th Man Of The Year, a literal bench award. He's played in 6 playoff games. The moment he thinks he's better than Kyrie, he needs to be slapped back into reality.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#644 » by kamaze » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:53 am

I like Dinwiddie more just my personal choice. Good player, great reserve.
You can like a backup he's not a threat to Kyries position.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
gigantes
Starter

Post#645 » by gigantes » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:57 am

Rich Rane wrote:
gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

I think we've all seen the number of players who get it in to their heads at some point that they deserve to start, no matter what. Also, if DWidd keeps playing as productively as he has lately, you have to think the human ego is still the human ego. And things change.

Kyrie has made the playoffs in all, but his first 3 seasons, starting for all of them. He has a ring. He made 2 All-NBA teams. He's a 6x All-Star.

Dinwiddie was in the running for 6th Man Of The Year, a literal bench award. He's played in 6 playoff games. The moment he thinks he's better than Kyrie, he needs to be slapped back into reality.

Yes, and that's why players sometimes insist on being moved, such that they can start elsewhere, or at least jump a spot in the rotation.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#646 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:02 am

gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
gigantes wrote:Oh cmon... it's not an unreasonable Q.

Yes, and that's why players sometimes insist on being moved, such that they can start elsewhere, or at least jump a spot in the rotation.

I'm willing to give Dinwiddie A LOT more credit than that. I still think he knew what he signed on for. He still loves Brooklyn enough not to start some bull.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#647 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:30 pm

Dinwiddie helped to sell the Nets to Kyrie.

Spencer is probably one of the smartest guys to ever come through here. He knows the deal.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,770

Post#648 » by Karate Diop » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

It's not that he thinks he's better than Kyrie just that another team may give him a chance to be a starter. Also year 3 is a player option which he will definitely opt out of if he continues with this level of play...

I'd love to have Spencer back, but just pointing out that it's not a slam dunk they he returns, and that even if he does it could be on a sizeable deal...

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#649 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:49 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
gigantes wrote:Oh cmon... it's not an unreasonable Q.

It's not that he thinks he's better than Kyrie just that another team may give him a chance to be a starter. Also year 3 is a player option which he will definitely opt out of if he continues with this level of play...

Then let him leave Year 3 if he wants. Only reason Dinwiddie should be traded is if it's in a package for a star. Kyrie should not be traded. Thoughts of trading Kyrie shouldn't even be entertained 18 games into the season, a season in which our other prized free agent won't see playing time in.
gigantes
Starter

Post#650 » by gigantes » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

I'm willing to give Dinwiddie A LOT more credit than that. I still think he knew what he signed on for. He still loves Brooklyn enough not to start some bull.

Meh. I don't really see it as a credibility issue, either way.

The NBA is a rather absurdly high-stakes money and fame situation. Like I say, I think the Nets culture naturally tends to ameliorate some of that, but it is what it is.

If DWidd winds up starting longer than expected (Kyrie requiring surgery is a real possibility) and excels, it would be natural for him to believe that he's significantly outperforming his salary. At that point, and when he's forced back to the bench, it's hard to know exactly how things shake out. I'd lean towards him sticking around regardless, but I could definitely see the other possibilities in play-- 1) that he starts wanting to remain a starter somewhere, or 2) the Nets get a worthwhile offer for him.

This stuff is just reality...
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#651 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:15 pm

gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
gigantes wrote:Yes, and that's why players sometimes insist on being moved, such that they can start elsewhere, or at least jump a spot in the rotation.

The NBA is a rather absurdly high-stakes money and fame situation. Like I say, I think the Nets culture naturally tends to ameliorate some of that, but it is what it is.

If DWidd winds up starting longer than expected (Kyrie requiring surgery is a real possibility) and excels, it would be natural for him to believe that he's significantly outperforming his salary. At that point, and when he's forced back to the bench, it's hard to know exactly how things shake out. I'd lean towards him sticking around regardless, but I could definitely see the other possibilities in play-- 1) that he starts wanting to remain a starter somewhere, or 2) the Nets get a worthwhile offer for him.

Dinwiddie has already excelled in D-Lo's absence. If he wanted to start or leave elsewhere, he would've done so last offseason when he was a free agent.
gigantes
Starter

Post#652 » by gigantes » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Dinwiddie has already excelled in D-Lo's absence. If he wanted to start or leave elsewhere, he would've done so last offseason when he was a free agent.

Thing is, his contract situation was obviously a lot more unsettled last season. Not to mention, he was still very much proving he belonged as an NBA player.

His situation is significantly different at this point, and it would be further different in the ways I described above, should things shake out a certain way, in future.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#653 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 pm

gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
gigantes wrote:Meh. I don't really see it as a credibility issue, either way.

Thing is, his contract situation was obviously a lot more unsettled last season. Not to mention, he was still very much proving he belonged as an NBA player.

His situation is significantly different at this point, and it would be further different in the ways I described above, should things shake out a certain way, in future.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced the original question was reasonable to be entertained at this time. I'm happy to leave it at that.
gigantes
Starter

Post#654 » by gigantes » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced the original question was reasonable to be entertained at this time. I'm happy to leave it at that.

TBH I don't see that stuff happening, myself.

But I disagree with you, in that I thought it was a reasonable hypothetical. Cheers.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#655 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Count me in the "viable question" camp. Spencer signed his contract knowing he should plan on the supersub role. But EC Player of the Week honors and a consistent All-Star level of play should make everyone involved with the team re-evaluate roles. A player as confident as he is does not rip the league a new one, and NOT think about becoming a permanent starter.

I do think the original question is a bit of a fallacy in logic, though. Dinwiddie may indeed force Kenny's hand, and request to either start or be traded. I do NOT however think that that means it's either Kyrie or him starting. Caris would be the likely fall guy in this scenario.

The main reason I saw CLV as a better starting option than Spencer was that I figured LeVert would become our primary perimeter stopper. He's not even close, at least not yet, in fact Spencer is the one doing work on that end. Absent an emergence of lockdown D upon his return, I really don't think Caris can assume he's got the starting nod under lock and key over Dinwiddie. He can run a bench unit just as well as Spence can; in fact, you could make a reasonable case that he has looked better this season when he's NOT on the floor with Kyrie, so shifting him to the 2nd unit would be a natural transition.

It's not the way we envisioned the team at the start of the season, but smart teams review what works, and adjust plans accordingly. Caris will get the opportunity to retain his position once he's healthy (assuming Kyrie is back by then as well :cry: ). If nothing else, this new level of play from Spence will force all of our perimeter players to step up their game, and know that their jobs are not slump-proof.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Tomhomes33
Rookie
And1: 795

S.Dinwiddie vs Kyrie Irwing 

Post#656 » by Tomhomes33 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:04 pm

With Kyrie out Nets are like 5-2 and if they win today 6-2 since Kyrie is out and Dinwiddie is starting if I am not wrong
He was just named player of the week in the east and he averages like 20+ppg and 5+assists.

My question to Nets fans is what happens with his mińutes once Kyrie is back?
Will Kyrie stop Dinwiddie’s improvement..will Nets have to trade SD down the road?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Re: S.Dinwiddie vs Kyrie Irwing 

Post#657 » by Rich Rane » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Dinwiddie has shown he can play alongside another scoring PG. Even if he doesn't start, his minutes are fine and will be fine.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#658 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Tomhomes33 wrote:With Kyrie out Nets are like 5-2 and if they win today 6-2 since Kyrie is out and Dinwiddie is starting if I am not wrong
He was just named player of the week in the east and he averages like 20+ppg and 5+assists.

My question to Nets fans is what happens with his mińutes once Kyrie is back?
Will Kyrie stop Dinwiddie’s improvement..will Nets have to trade SD down the road?

No he won't be traded. If people would actually watch the games they would know that the team goes into the toilet when Dinwiddie goes out because we're playing a G leaguer at back up PG with Irving and LeVert out.

Kyrie isn't stopping Dinwiddie from doing anything, Spencer has always been this good. Please don't come on here pumping anti Kyrie narratives, go to the Boston board if that's your angle.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#659 » by Papi_swav » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:10 pm

I think Kyrie and DIn should share the floor together alot and figure out a way to make it work, point blank period.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#660 » by Paradise » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:34 pm

So, the Nets were going to trade Spencer...who recruited Kyrie here? Lol?

He’s going to win 6MOTY this season or next season. That simple. You’d see more Kyrie/Spencer lineups together like D’angelo Russell.

Return to Brooklyn Nets